As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Question about the Silent Hill HD Collection

So I've never played much of the Silent Hill series before.

Well, I've played the more recent, american-made ones such as Homecoming and Downpour but I didn't consider either of them very good (actually kind of abysmal as far as "psychological horror" goes) and most fans of the franchise I know tell me they're a big step in a bad direction so I'm choosing to move swiftly along and hope the next one by Kojima Productions is better.

It's more the franchise's past than the future I'm looking at right now though. I'm a big fan of horror games and Silent Hill has been all kinds of interesting to me for the last few years specifically 2 and 3 and I've been looking for ways to play them without the use of a PS2. The HD collection that includes both games released on 360 and PS3 a little while ago seemed like the best way to do it but since it came out it seems all people have done is tear it apart for rampant technical glitches and unnecessary changes calling it "one of the worst HD collections of all time".

What I wanted to ask is if that's actually true and whether I should steer clear if I'm looking to play Silent Hill 2 and 3 for the first time. I'm not particularly picky and it's unlikely a few minor glitches would bother me all that much but I've heard the word "unplayable" used quite a bit in the collection's description. Has anyone here played it?

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    There is apparently no fog.

• Options
    ridingonemptytrainsridingonemptytrains Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »

Yeah that's something I've heard. Seems like an odd thing to remove.

Silent Hill without fog is like Star Wars without space.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »

Pretty sure there is actually. It may not looks as good as in the PS2 version but one reason that worked was because of the lower resolution.

But yeah, it's still there.

• Options
    Devilboy999Devilboy999 Stockton, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I've heard nothing, but bad things about the HD collection. The audio (including the dialogue was remastered poorly), The coloring looks really flat, and there was some poor editing of footage in the cutscenes.