As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Valkyrius - 2D Shmup with Teleportation (PC)

TubeTube Registered User admin
Introducing Valkyrius, a 2D shoot-'em-up with a unique teleportation feature!

The game is currently available for Windows. You can buy it as a direct download at http://www.iridescentgames.com/valkyrius/buy.html
It will also be coming next week to Desura and Green Man Gaming.

The first five people to post on this thread get a free copy of the game and soundtrack!

Here's a trailer and some gameplay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFV0zcNmrLQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ouhxgq1DUuM

And here are some screenshots:
Valkyrius-Screenshot-0.jpg

Valkyrius-Screenshot-8.jpg

Valkyrius-Screenshot-5.jpg

• Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    Whoa, this looks cool as heck. I like a good bullet hell, and I love fun movement abilities like the teleportation. Neat idea to incorporate what looks like a tunnel flier game style for some levels? Does it support analog stick gamepads?

• Options
    IridescentIridescent United StatesRegistered User new member
    Thanks a lot! The tunnel flying section is a portion of one of the stages. Most of the game takes place on a more classic 2D plane, though the other levels all have their share changing scenery. It supports the new standard for gamepads (XInput) which includes current Logitech pads (such as the F310 and the F710) and the Xbox controllers for Windows. Also, you get a free copy of the game and soundtrack for being one of the first five respondents! Check your private messages for instructions on how to claim your prize.

Valkyrius, Indie Shmup: iridescentgames.com/valkyrius
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I love me a good shmup, can't look at the videos from here but the screenshots, especially that last one look great.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ok, so this is really fun so far, and it looks great, but a couple things.
    At the splash screen after the intro movie, pressing back/ESC should either exit the game or take you to the main menu. Having it restart the movie is weird.
    And I'm not sure I understand what the deal is with funds/score. On my first run I made it to the second boss and died on it. I got about 1600 points and 17 funds. On my second run I made it to the tunnel level and died on the lancer type guy, and score 197 points and got 2 funds.
    Does it reset the amount you make whenever you use a continue? If so, that'd be good to say on the help screen at the beginning of the missions.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    IridescentIridescent United StatesRegistered User new member
    Glad you're enjoying the game. Your funds earned are equal to whatever your score is at the end of the game, divided by 100 and rounded to the nearest whole number. So using a continue, which resets your score, also resets the amount you'll earn from the run. I've added your suggestions to my future update list.

Valkyrius, Indie Shmup: iridescentgames.com/valkyrius
  • Options
    ScratchyScratchy Registered User regular
    I can't tell from watching the video but is there a cooldown/limit to the teleport? I think the coolest thing about that video was the 4 minute mark where the ships is just bouncing in between the beams.

I think it's pretty neat that you can have two specials and that's not something I've seen often in this type of game, I'm used to a more primary gun with secondary specials or specials altogether replacing the primary.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ashaman42Ashaman42 Registered User regular
    This looks like good fun, but I am terrible at Shmups. So I expect the lowest of low scores :)

• Options
    Scratchy wrote: »
    I can't tell from watching the video but is there a cooldown/limit to the teleport? I think the coolest thing about that video was the 4 minute mark where the ships is just bouncing in between the beams.

I think it's pretty neat that you can have two specials and that's not something I've seen often in this type of game, I'm used to a more primary gun with secondary specials or specials altogether replacing the primary.
    There doesn't seem to be a cooldown on the teleport other than the actual animation. It's kind of tricket at first to judge where you'll end up relative to moving bullets. And to remember that it's something you can even do.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ScratchyScratchy Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Iridescent gifted me a copy and I feel I'd be doing a disservice by not commenting.

Initial thoughts:

There was only a little bit of news, screenshots, and gameplay videos on the main website but I still had a heck of a lot of questions about this game so hopefully I can address everything I was thinking about earlier for anyone else on the fence.

Made it to the boss of level three and I have to say that this game scratches an itch I've had for a long time. Every death makes me want to reach into my pocket for another quarter. I'm going to be running through with the story on but I think it's brilliant that an option is added to disable it altogether and just play the game for high scores and funds.

The bosses up to the third level so far are very well thought out and there are only a couple of instances where I've thought a death was cheap due to the fact that I didn't know what a glowing light meant but it was soon remedied when the warning light was lost and I found myself missing it. I've not seen an area that couldn't be done perfectly with the correct amount of skill which I lack at the moment.

The teleport function is pretty unique and necessary, you can toggle a short range or mid range teleport. A circle around your ship shows exactly where you will end up and I believe that you can disable that circle in the options as well.

Controls are fully configurable and if necessary so far it seems like it could be played with one hand with enough practice and repetition if mobility is an issue. Edit/Critique: An option to add a quick doubletap of a movement button for a teleport in said direction would probably be something to look into to make the controls even more accessible.

There is multiplayer but I'm not sure how that works at all but I'm assuming it's split/screen couch coop.

There is also an upgrade system and an achievement like thing for those interested so even if you have a terrible run you still earn "funds" to possibly make your next run easier or at least die horribly as the color you want to be.

I have yet to complete the game but the initial levels are pretty fun. I'll post a bit more when I've tried out the easy/hard difficulties and had a chance to go through the whole game but as of now it's a blast.

Scratchy on
    steam_sig.png