Options

[SYSTEMS ADMINS & IT MONKEYS] ...maybe they should have hired a professional

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    I generally find that over half the cost for servers is with licenses, software, and support.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Hm yea didn't think about the licensing/support.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    I generally find that over half the cost for servers is with licenses, software, and support.

It'd be cheaper paying on an as needed basis probably.

If I were to run a business for servers like that, building is a flat cost, and there's overnight on an as needed basis. No questions so long as it doesn't get abused. You need a new hard drive? Okay, here's the cost, it'll be there tomorrow.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »

It'd be cheaper paying on an as needed basis probably.

If I were to run a business for servers like that, building is a flat cost, and there's overnight on an as needed basis. No questions so long as it doesn't get abused. You need a new hard drive? Okay, here's the cost, it'll be there tomorrow.
    While that's highly understandable, should something terribly go wrong, it's always nice to know that the finger can be pointed elsewhere. I do quarterly DSET reports and send them to Dell for them to analyze. They send me the firmware patches. When a massive failure happens, I call them up and they generally fix the problem quickly.

When you're the manufacturer, you really don't have anyone else to turn to but yourself. I know that I've run into issues where I had no idea what happened to the system and it turned out to be some serious hardware issues internally, and Dell got the parts out within 3 hours. Personally, so long as management approves the costs, I'll gladly pay for the convenience of that type of support. The costs are damn high up-front, but when a system does shit the bed, having that support is a butterscotch life saver: rare to find and damn tasty.

I also only get that type of support with mission critical systems. All the others are Next Business Day.

• Options
    I assume dell makes their own firmware internally for all these OEM parts or something, so them patching it is easier.

The big 3 probably all do that, I imagine needing firmware being patched within days to be rare though.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    I imagine needing firmware being patched within days to be rare though.
    Definitely rare. I just do it as a preventative maintenance program

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Holy carp this is crazy. So we had someone with an Excel workbook that was password protected, but no one in their department could remember the password; awesome, right? So apparently the hack for this is to change the file extension to .ZIP, extract the contents, browse down to the XML folders and delete the section that deals with the saved password per sheet. You then re-zip the file, change the name back to the original extension, and BOOM... File opens without password protection.

Yay for security!!!

Le_Goat on
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    FACEPALM

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    No one should be surprised at this point. If you want to lock a file down, you need to encrypt it with truecrypt or something.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Holy carp this is crazy. So we had someone with an Excel workbook that was password protected, but no one in their department could remember the password; awesome, right? So apparently the hack for this is to change the file extension to .ZIP, extract the contents, browse down to the XML folders and delete the section that deals with the saved password per sheet. You then re-zip the file, change the name back to the original extension, and BOOM... File opens without password protection.

Yay for security!!!

Yep, the newer office file formats are basically just zipped xml files. Not surprised at all though I didn't think of it. Fixed one for our director just the other day that some website goofed up the extension on and it was downloading a .zip instead of of a .docx. I change the extension and 20 seconds later I'm a hero.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular

Yay for security!!!

Excel passwords have never been secure. The hashes were so bad you could just crack them with a vb script.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular

Yay for security!!!

If you have 7zip installed with the context menu options you can skip the renaming steps, as it recognizes the Office document formats as valid archives.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Huh, I didn't know office passwords were actually that easy to crack. Neat. Everywhere I've worked the IT policy on lost document passwords has been "Tough shit, we told you not to use them."

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Remote client says internet is down. I vpn in and remote into their machine. I then ping a few sites and browse to Google.
    " Doesn't seem to be any issue"
    " Great, what did you do?"
    "..."

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Awww yiss, going forward with planning new hardware, proper server room, etc.

AND

After years of limping by on 5MB internet (for ~35 office users, 3-4 remote users, plus VoIP) there is a very real opportunity to get fiber to our office park.

I AM SO VERY STOKED BY THIS.

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    We just bumped my site to 20x20 fiber today. From 5x1. Woot

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Bigity wrote: »
    We just bumped my site to 20x20 fiber today. From 5x1. Woot

That must be like night and fucking day.

• Options
    TomatoTomato Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Testing the zip trick, it seems it only works when the password is set using the Review Menu-> Protect Workbook/Protect Sheet. If you go File -> Protect Workbook - Encrypt with Password, then you can't open the archive after changing the extension.

-edit-

I'm currently building a home test lab and I'm looking for feedback. Everything is virtualized.

Server 2008 with DC, DNS and DHCP roles.
    WDS and MDT for capturing and deploying images.
    PDQ deploy for deploying application to clients.
    WSUS for managing Microsoft updates.
    Another VM is going to be running Exchange, Lync and Office 365.
    I might set up a Sharepoint server but it seems like a mess to configure and install so I might wait before everything else is complete.

Routing and firewall and handled by a Pfsense machine.

Any other key programs/utilities I might be missing. The goal is to replicate an enterprise environment and try to configure everything so that it's fully functional.

Tomato on
  • Options
    Mei Hikari wrote: »
    Remote client says internet is down. I vpn in and remote into their machine. I then ping a few sites and browse to Google.
    "..."

What generally happens is someone freaks the fuck out because some obscure website is down.

"Is Google up? What about msn? And Yahoo? Well your internet's up. The sites that are down must be having service."
    "But I need them?"
    "Yeah and?"

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    "..."

What generally happens is someone freaks the fuck out because some obscure website is down.

"Is Google up? What about msn? And Yahoo? Well your internet's up. The sites that are down must be having service."
    "But I need them?"
    "Yeah and?"

You should mention to them that sites with illegal content usually don't stay around for very long.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    "..."

"But I need them?"
    "Yeah and?"

Been there done that lots. It's usually one site that is down and all the others are up. But internet must be down because that one site can't be accessed.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    "..."

"But I need them?"
    "Yeah and?"
    Reminds me of this:

http://youtu.be/W8_Kfjo3VjU

• Options
    I really have no idea what I'm watching. I take it sound is crucial for this?

• Options
    edited August 2013
    I really have no idea what I'm watching. I take it sound is crucial for this?
    yeah.... without the sound, it's just plain stupid

The basic principle is that some douche sales guy calls up and says the website's down, so he asks to reboot it. The help desk guy reboots the server, then finds out that the sales guy didn't mean the website was down, he meant something else and a whole chain of events happen (like deleting an email from your boss's sent items so he can't prove he told you to never shut the server down) that eventually leads to the help desk guy remoting into the the sales guy's desk and dealing with an elegant desktop icon arrangement.

Le_Goat on
  • Options
    it's a longtime classic

• Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    I have a very specific DNS issue that I'm sure is easily resolvable, but I just don't know enough, and am not sure what to google (besides setting up a DNS server from scratch) to resolve the issue.

So our company's website is DOMAIN.com, and our AD domain used to also be DOMAIN.com, though we've recently changed it to DOMAININC.com, but there are still a few machines under the old domain.

Anyway, trying to reach the website from inside our domain using just "domain.com" occasionally results in timeouts and nothing being loaded. Sometimes it works.

www.domain.com always works. I just know this is a domain issue, but I really don't know what I'm looking for. Maybe they should have hired a professional.

• Options
    First question, where do you get DNS info from currently? Internal server, Google, ISP DNS?

• Options
    Two DNS servers in the domain.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Also, under the DNS servers' forward lookup zones, there is a domain.com entry, with a name server of one of our current linux servers, server.domain.com. Navigating to server.domain.com actually brings up an internal site the previous guy was developing for IT support. But just going to "domain.com" from within the network goes nowhere.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Go to the domain.com entry in DNS manager and create two A records: one for www (but it sounds like that one already exists) and one blank to point to domain.com

Basically, follow this: http://www.thesuperkev.com/2012/10/setting-up-split-dns-in-windows-server.html

Mei Hikari on
  • Options
    TomatoTomato Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    I thought the web browser added the "www" if you didn't type it in. I did not know you had to have proper A records for domainname and www.domainname. Any must reads on DNS? Or is it the usual collection of google searches?

Tomato on
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    Browser won't do anything. Usually orgs have a 302 permanent redirect on the site/server hosting "domain.com" to "www.domain.com" so when an Internet browser goes to http://domain.com it gets immediately redirected to http://www.domain.com

• Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Tomato wrote: »
    Testing the zip trick, it seems it only works when the password is set using the Review Menu-> Protect Workbook/Protect Sheet. If you go File -> Protect Workbook - Encrypt with Password, then you can't open the archive after changing the extension.

-edit-

I'm currently building a home test lab and I'm looking for feedback. Everything is virtualized.

Server 2008 with DC, DNS and DHCP roles.
    WDS and MDT for capturing and deploying images.
    PDQ deploy for deploying application to clients.
    WSUS for managing Microsoft updates.
    Another VM is going to be running Exchange, Lync and Office 365.
    I might set up a Sharepoint server but it seems like a mess to configure and install so I might wait before everything else is complete.

Routing and firewall and handled by a Pfsense machine.

Any other key programs/utilities I might be missing. The goal is to replicate an enterprise environment and try to configure everything so that it's fully functional.

DFS (or third party similar), and your enterprise antivirus solution.

Draygo on
  • Options
    Print server, SQL, maybe a RDS server?

• Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    My DHCP server is almost maxed out, I currently have 6 available addresses and need to get this sorted out asap but I'm not sure if what I need is another Scope set up or not.

My subnet is 10.1.1.0/22 so it technically covers 10.1.1.0 - 10.1.3.255 from what I can remember of networking so I can't add 10.1.4.1-254 for more hosts. The majority of my 10.1.2.0 addresses are open since there are maybe 20 printers spread out across those, is it possible to change my scope so that the start address is 10.1.2.1 and leave the end at 10.1.3.254 and just exclude the printer IPs?

Edit:
    Decided to just test expanding the scope addresses by creating a new one, I could set the pool across the entire /22 subnet which looks like it will work fine for me, just have to set a lot of exclusions.

My other option was going to be superscoping which looks like a lot more work: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/255999

Myiagros on
    iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options
    Tomato wrote: »
    I thought the web browser added the "www" if you didn't type it in. I did not know you had to have proper A records for domainname and www.domainname. Any must reads on DNS? Or is it the usual collection of google searches?
    There are actually some sites that won't work if you use the "www." prefix; conversely, there are sites that won't work without the "www." prefix. Of course, you could always hit CTRL + Enter to automatically put www. and .com in.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    I have a very specific DNS issue that I'm sure is easily resolvable, but I just don't know enough, and am not sure what to google (besides setting up a DNS server from scratch) to resolve the issue.

So our company's website is DOMAIN.com, and our AD domain used to also be DOMAIN.com, though we've recently changed it to DOMAININC.com, but there are still a few machines under the old domain.

Anyway, trying to reach the website from inside our domain using just "domain.com" occasionally results in timeouts and nothing being loaded. Sometimes it works.

www.domain.com always works. I just know this is a domain issue, but I really don't know what I'm looking for. Maybe they should have hired a professional.
    I'm trying to remember how we did this, as our domain is DOMAIN.net and our website is the exact same, so we had to put an entry in that said anything internal via a browser that enters DOMAIN.net, forward it outside the domain to the website www.DOMAIN.net. I think we had to do it both with the internal DNS and our ISA.

Le_Goat on
  • Options
    Baron DirigibleBaron Dirigible Registered User regular
    Guys, I'm having some DNS issues as well!

I just recently sprung for a VPS as I'll be hosting a few small-ish websites soon and I'm aiming to expand, so it seemed like a good idea to get this set up now.

I've got to the point where I've made a new account via cPanel, given it the domain I've registered, and have the DNS propagated. The problem is that nothing seems to recognise the hostname -- loading www.mydomain.com in Safari just leads to a blank page, SSH and ping want nothing to do with it. If I try to access the IP directly everything's fine (and Safari shows the default Apache page.)

Is there some super-obvious step I'm missing, here? I feel like I'm in way over my head setting this up, but I'm hoping once I get this working it'll be easier to get the rest of the sites up-and-running.

• Options
    Anyone have any good recommendations for monitoring CPU/memory (and possibly) I/O usage on ubuntu server from the web? Local intranet only.

phpsysinfo is fine, but I'd like something a bit more in depth, kind of like htop.

• Options
    Coffee machine is broken today. There have been far less calls than normal. I'm pretty sure that their slower brains are interpreting their computers' speed as fast. I think I just found a permanent resolution to impatient users.

This discussion has been closed.