As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Divinity: Dragon Commander] Be a Dragon; Rule the World. [OUT NOW]

2»

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    I'll just paste what I talked to Viking about to give my impressions.

7:35 AM - Frei: well, you're tasked with reunited a kingdom that went to war after your father's death. you're a dragon knight, obviously.
    7:35 AM - Frei: you start on an airship, it's your base... you'll have your generals, diplomats, queen, engineers, etc
    7:35 AM - Frei: you purchase upgrades to units, structures, abilities for your dragon form
    7:36 AM - Frei: everyone has their own room
    7:36 AM - Frei: things you tell them and things you decide have ramifications
    7:36 AM - Frei: then you have the overworld campaign map where you move your armies and build buildings
    7:36 AM - Frei: when two armies conflict on that map then you have your RTS battle
    7:37 AM - Frei: the RTS battles are standard RTS fare with the exception of you being able to turn into a gods be damned dragon
    7:37 AM - Frei: the characters are all really cool and i like how they make a big effort for roleplay and address you as "you", to make you feel iike a big part of the story
    7:39 AM - Frei: anyway, i really like it and i think it blends a few genres really nicely
    7:39 AM - Frei: and it definitely has a lot of character

my only real let down is the RTS layer isn't super deep, but it is fun. the game is polished and I haven't experienced any bugs or general jankiness.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Frei wrote: »
    my only real let down is the RTS layer isn't super deep, but it is fun. the game is polished and I haven't experienced any bugs or general jankiness.

I've been playing for hours now and in that time I've experienced two crashes to desktop. Both happened when I was sending a whole lot of dragon fire down on enemy troops.

Good thing there are three automatic autosaves and that I save frequently as well.

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    The RTS portion gets better once you get into the higher tiers of upgrades for the dragon. You're then able to compete a bit more even with less troops due to some powerful passive and active abilities.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    Dashui wrote: »
    The RTS portion gets better once you get into the higher tiers of upgrades for the dragon. You're then able to compete a bit more even with less troops due to some powerful passive and active abilities.

I've loaded my Dragon up with all the Passives and the Eye of the Patriarch quasi-nuke. With the life drain passive I can now easily handle most armies. Though admittedly, I am playing on the lowest difficulty. I think I'll bump it up next playthrough.

Anyways, it took me a while to notice that my constant refusal to go along with the fundie agenda has actually angered the Gods and now my chances to win an auto-resolve are suffering. Oh well. At least my Dragon's capabilities means a lot of my troops survive to fend off the odds.

The lizards love me, though. So much so that they arranged for my abdication.

• Options
    Christ, but the start of Chapter 3 is brutal. You know how in these kinds of games near the end, when it's basically all over and winning is just a formality, you control most of the land and so got most of the gold and tech and can just churn out so many units to drown your enemy in a tsunami of soldiers?

Yeah, well, at the start of 3 it's the enemy who's in that enviable position. I have no idea how anyone is supposed to survive that opening without abusing the dragon for all it's worth.

• Options

I've loaded my Dragon up with all the Passives and the Eye of the Patriarch quasi-nuke. With the life drain passive I can now easily handle most armies. Though admittedly, I am playing on the lowest difficulty. I think I'll bump it up next playthrough.

Anyways, it took me a while to notice that my constant refusal to go along with the fundie agenda has actually angered the Gods and now my chances to win an auto-resolve are suffering. Oh well. At least my Dragon's capabilities means a lot of my troops survive to fend off the odds.

I have 100% support with the lizards right now. The undead hate me. Also the lizard queen is the best.

• Options

I have 100% support with the lizards right now. The undead hate me. Also the lizard queen is the best.

I picked the Lizard Queen too. She declared herself to be the law. Which... possibly... not quite healthy.

Next game I play, I fear I may need to throw the undead the occasional bone. Having my autoresolve odds dwindle into nothingness because the Seven Gods hate me really bites.

• Options

I picked the Lizard Queen too. She declared herself to be the law. Which... possibly... not quite healthy.

Next game I play, I fear I may need to throw the undead the occasional bone. Having my autoresolve odds dwindle into nothingness because the Seven Gods hate me really bites.

Auto-resolve gave me a 0% chance to win a battle. I claimed victory without a single loss. Still, sometimes the RTS phase can become a little repetitive or tedious. But then there are battles where auto-resolve tells me I have a high chance to win, and I'll fight it myself only to get uttery pulverized. I don't understand you sometimes, game!

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    This is looking very interesting. The fact that EU4 and Rome2 are just around the corner means that I can't really justify paying full price for this, but I look forward to a sale.

• Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    I am apparently terrible at the RTS. So there is that.

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    Be sure to check out the Imperial Edition contents in your game folder (if you have that from preordering). The game's art/concept art is quite good.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Vic wrote: »
    This is looking very interesting. The fact that EU4 and Rome2 are just around the corner means that I can't really justify paying full price for this, but I look forward to a sale.

Pretty much my stance. EU4 alone is going to absorb me for a long time, but I'm definitely keeping an eye out. Being a dragon is great, too few developer realize this. Everything I've heard about the political/interaction/etc. stuff on your ship also sounds great.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    I've been playing nothing else for the last three days, so I think it's pretty neat.

The RTS is... well, it's the first RTS effort from a small RPG studio. I don't think it's bad, but it's nothing outstanding either. Thank the Seven for the autoresolve option.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    Any word on a demo? The last divinity game was utterly horrible so I'd kind of like to try before I buy.

Divinity 2? That games was awesome!

...the xpac was utter ass though.

I had the "complete" version but never got to the expansion pack. I waded through it for hours to get to the dragon part, and found that it was really unsatisfying and poorly implemented. I was playing as a mage, and either my build was terrible or mages just suck, because there was a lot of insta death and reloading. The dragon sections were just shooting sections with shitty controls and (again) lots of reloading. It was amazing that you couldn't even attack land units, and could only turn into a dragon in set areas. I'm surprised I stuck with it as long as I did to be honest, I don't have any good memories of it. Maybe if I'd rolled warrior it'd have been different.

• Options
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    Any word on a demo? The last divinity game was utterly horrible so I'd kind of like to try before I buy.

Divinity 2? That games was awesome!

...the xpac was utter ass though.

I had the "complete" version but never got to the expansion pack. I waded through it for hours to get to the dragon part, and found that it was really unsatisfying and poorly implemented. I was playing as a mage, and either my build was terrible or mages just suck, because there was a lot of insta death and reloading. The dragon sections were just shooting sections with shitty controls and (again) lots of reloading. It was amazing that you couldn't even attack land units, and could only turn into a dragon in set areas. I'm surprised I stuck with it as long as I did to be honest, I don't have any good memories of it. Maybe if I'd rolled warrior it'd have been different.

Two-handed warriors are devastatingly powerful. I also found the dragon to control better with a controller when I tried the game on the Xbox 360, but for some reason they don't include controller support on the PC. Bah humbug.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    There's obviously an element of "well of course you hated it, your build sucked", but I feel like there should be enough clues in the system itself as to how to effectively build a character, and it should be hard to build a character who's completely gimped. I looked on Steam, and I spent 20 hours on the game before packing it in. I got to the part where you build your castle and everything, and it seemed like there's a lot of good ideas. I just couldn't get over how amateurish everything felt, and constantly getting one shot.

• Options
    Giant Bomb put up their Quick Look of this game and they didn't do too badly for once.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHkf3AB98DM

Although they did forget to show how to build extra units on the strategy map to give an you extra edge during that initial attack.

• Options
    DarcsteelDarcsteel Wildcard NC United StatesRegistered User regular
    So. My bartender is a skeleton. A Skeleton with a low cut dress.....
    She has a melon and an apple.

Oh my god what have I gotten myself into

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Hah, yeah. I got the chance to play this for a bit. It seems pretty fun, and fairly polished. I'm really digging all the airship content. I did pick the lizard as my queen though. If I'm gonna have an empire, I'll need someone who could handle being an empress. None of the others seemed very qualified for that.

Besides, I'm already a half-dragon, so it's not as weird a choice as might've been.
    *cough* skeleton *cough*

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    DarcsteelDarcsteel Wildcard NC United StatesRegistered User regular
    I get that there are numerous layers to this game. That politics, military manuvering (risk style), building, and researching are all a part of this.

but how much of that matters when you turn into a dragon with a goddamn jet pack

• Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    There's obviously an element of "well of course you hated it, your build sucked", but I feel like there should be enough clues in the system itself as to how to effectively build a character, and it should be hard to build a character who's completely gimped. I looked on Steam, and I spent 20 hours on the game before packing it in. I got to the part where you build your castle and everything, and it seemed like there's a lot of good ideas. I just couldn't get over how amateurish everything felt, and constantly getting one shot.

Actually, I had a friend with the same issue. He rolled a warrior and just couldn't wrap his head around the difficulty. I ran around as a bow-user and generally kited the everyloving shit out of everything until I became powerful enough to kill things before they entered my zip code. With combat being a breeze, I was left to enjoy the story/exploration elements more and ended up really digging the game as a whole. The dragon sections were bleh, and I generally only used the dragon form for travel. I'd set down as quickly as I could so I could pump arrows into everything. You spent 20 hours on the game before calling it a day, so your opinion is fair.

I'm looking forward to the next rpg from these guys.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW