As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Diagnosing a crash

kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated foraRegistered User regular
Hello,

I've had crashes in two applications lately. Mechwarrior Online, and Wargame: AirLandBattle. Windows event viewer does not provide any helpful information and I haven't been able to set up heat, etc. logging software that saves information post-crash. Are there any recommended freeware options that let me do that?

The crash for both are such that the screen goes black, though the application appears to be running and sound pipes through for about 5-10 more seconds, then my computer restarts itself. So that suggests something at issue with the video card. Oddly, I can play entire rounds of both games without an issue, and sometimes upon starting the computer and trying to play either one, I will be plagued with crashes. To me anyway that suggests heat is not at issue, or the heat issue is manifesting strangely. It could also be a power draw issue, but again I am surprised at its inconsistency.

I am playing comparably graphically demanding games (Red Orchestra 2's latest release and Company of Heroes 2) and have yet to get crashes in those games. So thoughts? Does my video card only like world war 2-themed apps? I am fine replacing parts if I have to, but besides double-checking the fan in the video card is clean, how to narrow the issues? I'd have to buy a video card and PSU to test, so can't just test willy-nilly.

stats:
gigabyte ga-h77-d3h mobo
i5-2500k
EVGA GeForce GTX 680 2GB 256-bit, latest drivers
8 GB corsair RAM
Silverstone 500W PS
OCZ Agility SSD
1 WD Black 1 TB HDD
Windows 8 64-bit

fwKS7.png?1

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    In my experience a full system reboot is usually a PSU issue. GPU crashes tend to be hard freezes and are often accompanied by video artifacting

• Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    thanks. Turned out the GPU was venting waste heat onto my CPU and overheating it - was able to fix it by either getting a better CPU cooler, or a new GPU.

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    hm what does your case layout look like? Sounds like something you may be able to fix with better case ventilation

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I had thought the reason that GPU cards were laid out "upside down" was to keep this from happening(?). Also, if you're willing to invest a little money and time, you may want to look into a H100 or similar all-in-one liquid cooler for your CPU. This would remove all heat related issues from the CPU.

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    hm what does your case layout look like? Sounds like something you may be able to fix with better case ventilation
    What I've done before was accidentally installed fan backward, right next to the PSU, so it was pumping the recently vented (and therefore hot) air back into the system. That caused the PSU to shut down. It was a completely facepalm move, but very easy to do. Just something extra to look at.

Le_Goat on
    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's a small case, which i'm partial to. http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=291

Am keeping the $50 case fan, returning the HD 7970 and will upgrade the video card for real come next cycle.

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    If that's the case, grab a 7950 or 760 and you'll be golden.