As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

USB ports on my motherboard aren't being recognized as 2.0

MartinMartin Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey guys, I've had this problem forever, and now I've finally decided to try and figure out why, cause I just bought a 300 gb external harddrive.

I have SP2 installed, and I've installed all the drivers that come with the motherboard. The motherboard is an Asus P5AD2-E Deluxe, and it says on the webpage that it should be USB 2.0. I just keep getting 'This could perform faster'.

I've gone to my bios, enabled 2.0, switched from fullspeed to Highspeed (which it says is faster), but I'm still getting that message. Anyway help would be appreciated, as I've gone through google and read everything I can find, and still can't figure this out.

Martin

Martin on

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Have you updated your BIOS/chipset drivers? That would be a good idea. And yes, it should be set to "highspeed" since that's much faster than fullspeed.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Go into your windows device manager and make sure you have the usb 2.0 controller installed. It's a separate thing that might not be activated.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Under the Universal Serial Bus controllers in device manager I have:

4 Standard Universal PCI to USB Host Controllers

and

4 USB Root Hub

I'll look into updating my bios, and let you know. Since it doesn't look like I have the 2.0 controller installed, where do I go to find that?

Martin on
  • Options
    IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I believe there is a Windows XP update floating around out there that helps it recognize 2.0 hubs also, and IIRC it's located on the Microsoft site.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I don't entirely remember - I know that you have to have sp2 to install it at all, I had that issue a few years ago. But yeah, you should be able to get it directly from microsoft.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Hey, updating the intel chipset worked. It's weird that it wouldn't come with the version needed for 2.0. Anyways, thanks guys, saved me some headache.

Martin on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Hooray chipset! Upgrading your chipset should be oen of the first things you do when you build a computer.

TychoCelchuuu on