Options

[PA Comic] Monday, September 9, 2013 - The Tithe, Part Two

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited September 2013 in The Penny Arcade Hub

• Options
    AgentflitAgentflit Registered User regular
    I uh

Wow.

• Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    Holy Jesus!

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Ah. Such fantastic art.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    FulgoreFulgore Registered User regular
    This is freaking beautiful.
    Good job Gabe, I want to see more of this :D

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    NEED a wallpaper version of that first panel.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Holy fuck, Mike, that is amazing. My jaw literally dropped.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    JortalusJortalus Registered User regular
    That first panel is absolutely gorgeous.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    'Secrete' surely?

Otherwise, beautiful.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Secret can be a verb. It means "to hide a thing."

"Secrete" would be like if you had a coin gland and coins oozed out of you.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    GreygorGreygor Registered User new member
    knitdan wrote: »

Secret was used as a verb, but is rare nowadays. It has been replaced by the more common Secrete (as in "To conceal in a hiding place")

However as the setting for the comic is "medieval" perhaps using Secret is more apt.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular

I was going to make a similar post, but then I looked it up. "To hide" is an alternate form of secrete, not secret; though I have always heard it pronounced as the latter. Google says the spelling changed in the mid 1700s from secret to secrete.

Apparently the common latin root 'secretus' meant "separate / set apart", leaving me to wonder how "secret" ever came to mean what it does, but explains how "secrete" came to have its divergent meanings, and perhaps why the spelling was altered.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Fairy nuff. Wasn't aware of the archaic form but it seems to check out as legit.

Having learned my new something for the day nice and early am I allowed to go back to bed now?

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    RedthirstRedthirst Registered User regular
    This art is fantastic. Now we just need to live up to the Wednesday...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    not sure about the pronunciation, but if it's the same as the other definition of "Secrete," using it instead of "Secret" would have thrown off the meter of that line.

• Options
    RottonappleRottonapple Registered User regular
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    NEED a wallpaper version of that first panel.

not sure of the date, but Gabe posted a full size panel one a few weeks ago free of the word balloon as part of a news post.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

I was going to make a similar post, but then I looked it up. "To hide" is an alternate form of secrete, not secret; though I have always heard it pronounced as the latter. Google says the spelling changed in the mid 1700s from secret to secrete.

Apparently the common latin root 'secretus' meant "separate / set apart", leaving me to wonder how "secret" ever came to mean what it does, but explains how "secrete" came to have its divergent meanings, and perhaps why the spelling was altered.

A secret can be considered a bit of knowledge that's been "set apart" from what most people know.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    rembrandtqeinsteinrembrandtqeinstein Registered User regular
    I have the overwhelming urge to re-install Skyrim.

• Options
    OmegaDezOmegaDez CanadaRegistered User regular
    Damn.
    The most beautiful thing about that "Daughters of the Eyrewood" art is the fact the girl has five fingers.

• Options
    Chris FOMChris FOM Registered User regular
    Wanted to chime in another +1 on the amazing art, especially panel 1. Sand was already amazing, but Gabe's truly outdone himself here.

• Options
    Adam CasalinoAdam Casalino New York (in my heart)Registered User regular
    Really beautiful. I love the trees-covered mountain slope in the first panel.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I wonder if traveling shoe is a literal shoe, or if it's a metaphorical shoe? Later in the rhyme it tells her to make sure she has two travelling boots. Maybe she has to wear two pairs of shoes?

• Options
    Rolling BirdRolling Bird Registered User regular
    OmegaDez wrote: »
    Damn.
    The most beautiful thing about that "Daughters of the Eyrewood" art is the fact the girl has five fingers.

The people in Sand had 5 fingers too. I really like the way Gabe draws hands in these stories.

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    I love this.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    dear god, that first panel

incredible

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    OmegaDez wrote: »
    Damn.

The people in Sand had 5 fingers too. I really like the way Gabe draws hands in these stories.

I will always remember the bananahands fondly.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Not sure where else to post this but Mike and Jerry did some Diablo 3 console comics for Blizzard with Katie Rice.

https://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/10873775/pa-presents-diablo-iii-console-comic-by-katie-rice-9-9-2013

The first "panel" (as Blizzard put it because they are silly) is up today with more throughout the week.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    miaAusamiaAusa GOD Gamer Of Daters ValhallaRegistered User regular
    I love the artwork Katie did on that d3 comic, it's great, can't wait to see more!

Also the artwork in the tithe is amazing! the backgrounds could make amazing posters alone, I just want to stare at it forever sometimes : D

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I wonder if traveling shoe is a literal shoe, or if it's a metaphorical shoe? Later in the rhyme it tells her to make sure she has two travelling boots. Maybe she has to wear two pairs of shoes?

Two pairs of shoes would be four shoes. I think the poem is just literally saying put on your shoes before you head out.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    pretty sure shake out your tall boots just means to check for rocks and/or insects that could have worked their way into your shoes. Make sure you have two is just saying that you should be careful not to lose one whilst shaking them out.

at least that's what I took away from it.

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    the art in these is...it's astounding.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    GabrielGabriel Registered User, ClubPA, Penny Arcade Staff, PAX Staff staff
    thank you all very much this makes me feel super good:)

• Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    These are good arts

• Options
    luckysharmluckysharm Registered User regular
    I think most of us would be okay with these projects postponing the normal comics considering how great the artwork and narrative are in them. The main character in this particular story is really adorable.

• Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    Shake out your boots first. Then put a coin in them.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Seriously Mike, if you ever do a full printed hardback comic of this with this kind of art in future, I will be buying several of them: One for me and several others as gifts.

I can't emphasize enough how much I love the art you have done for Lookouts in general.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    coulombecoulombe Denver, CORegistered User new member
    Ah, so there were quite a few of us who took up Mike's request to sing/play the tune Hanna is singing. I'd highly advise checking out his twitter and finding his retweets. I have one in there as well (sorry I'm not vocally trained):

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    coulombe wrote: »
    Ah, so there were quite a few of us who took up Mike's request to sing/play the tune Hanna is singing. I'd highly advise checking out his twitter and finding his retweets. I have one in there as well (sorry I'm not vocally trained):

You actually sing quite beautifully, and I like that tune!

My only thing is that since it's a traveling song, my mind's expectation is that the song would have the sort of cadence that it's easy to march in step to, sort of like a jody call but more lyrical.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    Gorgeous impressionist pastels.

• Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Well now I feel like an idiot. I only just made the correlation between http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2013/06/07 (one of my recent favorites) and the saying, "a picture is worth a thousand words".

As someone who is only familiar with Lookouts through the comics posted on the site, where could I go to catch up on Daughters of the Eyrewood? Or is this the first concrete sample of it?

EDIT: I just read through A Boy Must Learn and Thornwatch again, so I'm trying to get this universe straight. When I first read A Boy Must Learn, I thought the giant owlbeast fight was just the imagination of the boys as they played with the adult in the mask. But seeing more of the setting, I guess the monsters are real and the game was a form of training? From the guest comic about the basilisk, I gather that the adults of Lookouts are pretty strict about letting weaker boys die in the forest. So the Thornwatch are renegades who take in the outcast boys who ran from a fight. Are the Daughters more of a female Lookouts equivalent, or (as this series would indicate) a group that stands apart from accepted society like Thornwatch?

Also, is there a tabletop game or anything similar for this yet?

RatherDashing89 on
  • Options
    e0stevene0steven Registered User new member
    This is going to sound semi-stupid, but I see that he just linked up a 'high-res' version of the first panel. Very awesome. However is there a way to order a print of just that first panel? I see the 'normal' get this strip in print form, but I like the layout and just wanted to get a print of that high res panel.

Thanks.