As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New PC problems

RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Alright, so, here's the scoop. My dad just ordered a new computer off of newegg(I choose the parts). It arrived fine, so we started putting it together. We got it together, and started to install vista. Went through fine, it installed, then we wanted to setup a second monitor to it. So, we shut it down, put in the second monitor, and booted up. While getting the second monitor stuff setup, it froze on us.

About as far as we got. Now we pretty much get BSOD's constantly while loading the OS. We tried reseating everything. We tried reinstalling vista(can't even get it to do that right now). Reformatted the HD. Took out the second monitor. I've tried it with the hard drive from my computer, which I know works fine. It crashes when loading XP from my computer. I can't see the BSOD when it tried to load my OS, it goes away in like half a second. The BSOD with his HD is a very generic one, just with a code at the bottom with STOP: 00XD41337 325245 blah blah. Not the actual one, but you get the gist.

I'm confounded. Its not his hard drive. Its not his ram I don't think, we've tried all his ram seperately, and get the same error each time(2x2gig and 2x1gig). We're about to try my video card in it, but that seems unlikely. One thing that seems weird is that the processor, a Q6600, is running at 38-43c idle. Is that too hot? Is it just overheating? And we're just getting it to BSOD at the same time every time?

Specs:
Q6600 2.4ghz
2x2gigs OCZ
2x1gig OCZ
8800GTX 640mb
500gig Western Digital Hard drive
Asus P5N-E
Sony DVD-ROM/Writer
Sonata III case and power supply
Vista Home Premium 64-bit
Hanns-G 22in monitor(if this matters, I'll pull up exact model)

Help???

I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
Raslin on

• Options
    IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I think the power supply included with the case is probably a little weak for the contents. Bundled PSUs are not exactly known for being the greatest power sources in the world, either.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Iroh wrote: »
    I think the power supply included with the case is probably a little weak for the contents. Bundled PSUs are not exactly known for being the greatest power sources in the world, either.

Its an Antec, and a pretty efficient one based on reviews. Besides, I just tried with my video card(a 1950pro 256mb) and got the same problems. 500w should be fine for 2 gigs, a 1950pro, and a Q6600.

Gah. So, its not the video card, the ram, the hard drive, or the power supply. I'm stumped.

Raslin on

• Options
    edited August 2007
    Frankly, Antec isn't all their cracked up to be as of late. For a rig with high quality parts like that I would have sprung for a nicer unit.

I've done my homework, and this isn't all that uncommon a symptom for an inadequate PSU, so it's worth keeping in mind if you don't come up with anything else.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Frankly, Antec isn't all their cracked up to be as of late. For a rig with high quality parts like that I would have sprung for a nicer unit.

I've done my homework, and this isn't all that uncommon a symptom for an inadequate PSU, so it's worth keeping in mind if you don't come up with anything else.

I did my homework too :P

I've seen very little complaints about the bundled PSU in the Sonata III. It should be plenty powerful enough to run my x1950pro with the other parts, but it doesn't. My 380W Rosewill runs the same things, except a dual core instead of a quad. I doubt the quad core is taking up 120W+ than my dual core in my computer.

Still, I think I will try a better powersupply. I've been having unrelated problems with my own PSU, and want a new one anyways. If the new one works in my dads comp, I'll see if the sonata works in mine. If it doesn't work in his, I'll just use it for myself.

Edit: I feel like a jackass. I looked online, found a power requirement calculator, it says around 615w. I'm going to buy him a powersupply, because this is my fault :P

Raslin on

• Options
    tracertongtracertong Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Your memory is corrupt...I had this same exact problem about two months ago. Send them back :^:

tracertong on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The bundled PSU in my Sonata III runts my 8800GTS and my E6700 fine, so the online thing may or may not be right, but BSODs regardless of what happens could definitely be the RAM like tracer said.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    You haven't mentioned if you installed the motherboard's chipset drivers.

Houn on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Houn wrote: »

That's kind of difficult when you can't install the OS to begin with.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The actual stop error is pretty important in diagnosing the problem. Is it the same stop error every time? I know it can be hard to pinpoint when it flips fast like that, but if it is the same one, you can get a few or more numbers at a time.

stigweard on
  • Options
    DrFrylockDrFrylock Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Run memtest86 and see what happens.

Did you install the motherboard into the case right?

Did you fry the motherboard?

Did you wear appropriate anti-static wristbands when constructing the machine?

DrFrylock on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Houn wrote: »

That's kind of difficult when you can't install the OS to begin with.

He said he had the OS installed before he went for Monitor 2, when the issue first started.

Houn on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Also, depending on the hardware in your old box, no, the XP install on your old drive may not work. I would:

1. Go back to the new parts.
    2. Wipe the drive, reinstall with the exact same config you had the first time.
    3. Assuming Vista installs, install all updates and drivers
    4. Then move to adding peripherals.

Also, you can stop the BSOD from flashing so fast (in XP at least, probably a similar location in Vista) by going to Control Panel > System > Advanced > Startup and Recovery > Uncheck "Automatically Restart".

Houn on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Bashing my head against a wall here.

Anyways, updates: Got a new powersupply, plenty of power(850w). Hooked it all up, of course, still didn't work right. Same error. So, I take out my hard drive, and put his in. We are able to install vista, get everything running, etc. However, this is with my own ram in, 2x1 gigs, that I know works. Every other part is his.

So, we throw his ram back in. Bam, same BSOD's as the ones we got before using his HD. So, its gotta be the ram, I says to myself. So I start eliminating sticks of ram, one at a time. With just one of the 2 gig sticks in the first slot, it works. So, I think, it must be the other 2 gig stick, as thats the last one i took out. So I put the two 1 gigs back in, BSOD.

So, at this point, I've found out that every stick of ram works fine, as far as I can tell, but only if its one stick and its in the first slot. I can't run two 2 gig sticks in there at the same time. I can't run two 1 gig sticks. Can't do combo's. I can only run one stick at a time... unless its my own ram, which I can run both at the same time.

Btw, the BSOD on his HD is IRQL_LESS_OR_EQUAL_TO

Gah, help me

Raslin on

• Options
    Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Could you get more specific about the type of RAM? I saw you had OCZ but is it DDR2?

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Uncle Long wrote: »
    Could you get more specific about the type of RAM? I saw you had OCZ but is it DDR2?

Yes, its all DDR2. All sticks are 667mhz I believe.

Raslin on

• Options
    DrFrylockDrFrylock Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Why are you not just running memtest?

DrFrylock on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Well, few things. First, there's no mention of OCZ on the ASUS Qualified Vendor List:
    http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket775/P5N-E%20SLI/P5N-E_SLI_QVL.pdf

Second, the OCZ Configurator doesn't list any 2G Models for the Asus p5n-e:
    http://configurator.ocztechnology.com/result.asp?mn=P5N%2DE+SLI&modelid=61997

Finally, which two slots are you using? A1 and A2, or A1 and B1?

Houn on
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    that's a driver issue, and probably related to a faulty video card methinks.

i got similiar errors for similiar reasons

other times i might have seen it are RAID issues and failures

AND

switching around usb or sata devices to different spots after an initial configuration

like say i setup the OS with the HDD connected to sata 3. but then i move it to 4 to rearrange cable placement.

NOTHING FIXES IT unless I move sata plug back to 3. It is a mystery! sometimes plugging in a new USB device like an ipod into its dock and then booting on the computer before it has ever seen it will do the same thing.

Deusfaux on