As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Need help bypassing my university connection limitations for game hosting.

VerboseVerbose That one guy over there. That guy.Registered User regular
Right so basically I want to host a game (Terraria) such that my roommates can connect and to it and play with me. The problem being that I can't do any port forwarding because I'm currently at LSU using their internets. I just want to know if there is any thing I can do to make this work.

IDK if this is the right place to ask about this but I've tried my best to get it working and I really just want to play with my friends.

• Options
    ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    If it is allowed within your University's terms and conditions, have you considered trying to use VPN software such as Hamachi?

Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
  • Options
    VerboseVerbose That one guy over there. That guy. Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    I have tried doing so, It still doesn't work. My computers don't properly see each other through Hamachi, which I imagine has something to do with the network.

Specifically It tells me I have a relayed connection when using a service like Hamachi.

Verbose on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Could you buy a simple Ethernet router and get it working that way? That way your IP address is something like 192.168.1.100 and then you can port forward locally.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    You can't do it over a LAN and just connect directly to eachother? Otherwise if they have their network setup well, probably nothing you can do. And check before you plug a router in, at my university those were disallowed in the rooms, but switches were ok.

• Options
    VerboseVerbose That one guy over there. That guy. Registered User regular
    I have successfully gotten it working. I just had to have my buddies laptops connect via an Ethernet cable rather than via wireless. When they are on the Ethernet as my computer is, we are all on the same LAN and the connection works. I didn't originally try this because I've tried it before with a different game and didn't have success then.

As long as it works, im happy.