As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Thread in which we discuss Eberron

DeVryGuyDeVryGuy Registered User regular
edited September 2006 in Critical Failures
Eberron was the first campaign setting created for D&D 3.5. While all traditional D&D elements are present in the world of Eberron, it is pretty much the antithesis of everything that is Forgotten Realms.
10 things you need to know about Eberron:
1. If it exists in D&D, then it has a place in Eberron. A monster or spell or magic item from the core rulebooks might feature a twist or two to account for Eberron's tone an attitude, but otherwise everything in the Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, and Monster Manual has a place somewhere in Eberron. Also, this is the first D&D setting built entirely from the v.3.5 rules, which enabled us to blend rules and story in brand-new ways.
2. Tone an attitude. The campaign combines traditional medieval D&D fantasy with swashbuckling action and dark adventure. Alignments are relative guages of a character's viewpoint, and not absolute barometers of affiliation and actionl nothing is exactly as it seems. Alignments are blurred, so that it's possible to encounter an evil silver dragon or a good vampire. Traditionally good-aligned creatures may wind up opposed to the heroes, while well-known agents of evil might provide assistance when it's least expected. To help capture the cinematic nature of the swordplay and spellcasting, we've added action points to the rules mix. This spendable, limited resource allows players to alter the outcome of dramatic situations and have their characters accomplish the seemingly impossible.
3. A world of magic. The setting supposes a world that developed not through the advance of science, but by the mastery of arcane magic. this concept allows for certain coveniences unimagined in other medieval timeframes. The binding and harnessing of elemental creatures makes airships and rail transport possible. A working class of minor mages uses spells to provide energy and other necessities in towns and cities. Advances in magic item creation have led to everything from self-ropelled farming implements to sentient, free-willed constructs.
4. A world of adventure. From the seaming jungles of Aerenal to the colossal ruins of Xen'drik, from the towering keeps of Sharn to the blasted hills and velleys of the Demon Wastes, Eberron is a world of action and adventure. Adventures can and should draw heroes from one exotic location to another across nations, continents, and the entire world. The quest for the Mirror of the Seventh Moon may take the heroes from a hidden desert shrine to a ruined castle in the Shadow Marches and finally to a dungeon deep below the Library of Korranberg. Through the use of magical transportation, heroes can reach a wider range of environments over the course of an adventure, and thus deal with a diverse assortment of monsters and challenges.
5. The Last War has ended--sort of. The Last War, which plunged the continent of Khorvaire into civil war more than a century ago, eded with the signing of the Treaty of Thronehold and the establishment of twelve recognized nations occupying what was once the kingdom of Galifar. At least overtly, the peace has held for almost two years as the campaign begins. The conflicts, the anger, and the pain of the long war remain, however, and the new nations seeks every advantage as they prepare for the inevitable next war that will eventually break ou on the continent.
6. The Five Nations. The human-dominated civilizations on the continent of Khorvaire trace a lineage to the ancient kingdom of Galifar, which was made up of five distinct regions, or nations. These were Aundair, Breland, Cyre, Karrnath and Thrane. Four of these survive to the present day as independant countries; Cyre was destroyed before the start of the campiagn. The devestated territory once occupied is now known as the Mournland. A common epithet among the people of Khorvaire is "By the Five Nations," or some version therof. The Five Nations refers to the ancient kingdom of Galifar and harkens back to a legendary time of peace and prosperity.
7. A world of intrigue. The war is over, and the nations of Khorvaire now try to build a new age of peace and prosperity. Ancient threats linger, however, and the new world desperately needs heroes to take up the cause. nations complete on many levels--economic, political influence, territory, magical power--each looking to maintain or improveits current status by any means short of an all-out war. Espionage and sabotage services create big business in certain circles. The dragonmarked houses, churches both pure and corrupt, crime lords, monster gangs, psionic spies, arcane universities, royal orders of knights and wizards, secret societies, sinister masterminds, dragons, and a multitude of organizations and factions jockey for position in the afterglow of the Last War. Eberron teems with conflict and intrigue.
8. Dragonmark dynasties. The great dragonmarked families are the barons of industry and commerce throughout Khorvaire and beyond. Their influence transcends political boundaries, and they remained mostly neutral during the Last War. While not technically citizens of any nation, the matriarchs and patriarchs of each house live in splendor within their enclaves and emporiums located throughout Khorvaire. These dynastic houses of commerce derive their power from the dragonmarks--unique, hereditary arcane sigils that manifest on certain individuals within the family, granting them limited but very useful magical abilities associated with the trade guilds the family controls.
9. Dragonshards. Ancient legends and creation myths describe Eberron as a world in three parts: the ring above, the subterranean realm below, and the land between. Each of these world sections is tied to a great dragon of legend--Siberys, Kkyber, and Eberron. Each section of the world produces stones and crystals imbued with arcane power--dragonshards. With dragonshards, dragonmarks can be made more powerful, elementals can be controlled and harnessed, and magic items of all sorts can be crafted and shaped. These shards, however, are race and difficult to come by, making them expensive and often the goals to great quests and adventures.
10. New races. In addition to the common player character races found in the Player's Handbook, players can choose to play changelings, kalashtar, shifters and warforged in Eberron. Changelings are a race that evolved from the crossing of dopplegangers and humans, giving them minor shapechanging abilities. Kalashtar are plar entities merged with human hosts who are capable of becoming powerful weilders of psionicpower. (To fully utilize the kalashtar and other psionic elements of the world, we strongly recommend the use of the Expanded Psionics Handbook.) Shifters developed from the mixing of humans and lycanthropes, a union that grants them limited bestial abilities and feral instincts. The warforged are sentient constructs created during the Last War who developed free will and a desire to improve their position in the world.

Alright, but what's so great about Eberron?
Perhaps the most important thing about Eberron to remember is that your PCs are in fact the heroes of the setting, because pretty much all the really powerful people got killed off in the Last War. When the threats pop up, it's up to your characters to deal with them, because there are no Elminsters or other such really powerful characters to come save the day.

Not to mention, the new view on alignments as well as the pulp/noir feel of the setting gives D&D a very fresh feeling without comprimising the core fun of D&D.

Pokemon Diamond: 5369 6910 9799
FFTSig.jpg
DeVryGuy on

• Options
    JoeslopJoeslop Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    The highest level character in the world is a Druid.

And he's a tree. A level 16 or so tree.

Joeslop on
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Motherfucking love this setting, it's like Arcanum: The PnP:ening, only everything's magic-powered. Focus seems to be more on story and interaction than phat lewts and ethnically cleansed dungeons.
    And the new races/elements/cosmology just oozes style and refinement (though I've heard some gameplay concerns about shifters).

If only I had a chance playing it :(

Panda4You on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Joeslop wrote:

Yup, a tree. He can summon a bunch of wolves or something, and they'll stick around for almost two minutes ;)

DeVryGuy on
    FFTSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Also, the Artificer is a fucking GREAT addition to the classes of D&D, like some kind of walking, talking toolbox for the party.

DeVryGuy on
    FFTSig.jpg
  • Options
    JoeslopJoeslop Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    DeVryGuy wrote:
    Also, the Artificer is a fucking GREAT addition to the classes of D&D, like some kind of walking, talking toolbox for the badass Warforged that will tear you apart.

Fixed.

Even better when it's a Warforged Artificer.

Joeslop on
  • Options
    ClawshrimpyClawshrimpy Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I want to make a Warforged called Bender.

"You're pending, for a BENDING!"

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    LitejediLitejedi New York CityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I <3 Eberron. I'm running "The Shackled City" adventure path atm for some friends of mine, adapted to Eberron.

Litejedi on
    3DS FC: 1907-9450-1017
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Speaking of Eberron, does anyone know if DDO still sucks like it did?

The disk is collecting dust on my desk.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    DeVryGuy wrote:
    Joeslop wrote:

Yup, a tree. He can summon a bunch of wolves or something, and they'll stick around for almost two minutes ;)
    Is it an "Awakened" tree or is it a Druid that one day decided that becoming a tree seemed like a hoot?

Silpheed on
  • Options
    The CelestialThe Celestial Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Eberron never really clicked for me. It's probably because I've never played a game in the setting and my only play-exposure is DDO. (Which still sucks as an "MMO", Jasc. It would make a good single-player or LAN game though.)

I've read through the Campaign Setting and talked at length with my supervisor (also my DM) about Eberron, so I'm not just making an uninformed decision on it.

Maybe it's just the warforged and all the magic or elemental powered stuff that gets me. I prefer Faerun since it's more "realistic" fantasy. The more traditional fantasy setting.

The Celestial on
    celbmb8.png
  • Options
    zenpotatozenpotato Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I've never been a fan of Eberron myself. I think DDO was significantly hurt by using this as a setting instead of a classic generic fantasy setting.

I think Privateer Press's Iron Kingdoms is a much cooler steampunk style setting, and it comes with it's own accompanying war game. :)

zenpotato on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Silpheed wrote:
    DeVryGuy wrote:
    Joeslop wrote:

Is it an "Awakened" tree or is it a Druid that one day decided that becoming a tree seemed like a hoot?

It's an awakened "greatpine."

And technically, the sisters of sora kell and Erandis d'Vol are both more powerful (if I remember correctly).

Litejedi on
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I really like the setting but have yet to play a game in it. I want to be a Warfroged SOOO bad. I played on in DnD Online Beta...at least until my brain stopped hurting.

Bucketman on
  • Options
    The CelestialThe Celestial Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    zenpotato wrote:
    I've never been a fan of Eberron myself. I think DDO was significantly hurt by using this as a setting instead of a classic generic fantasy setting.
    I don't want to derail too much, but I hope WoTC licenses out Faerun for a persistant world MMO. There's just so much there.

The Celestial on
    celbmb8.png
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    See, I guess I'm the opposite. Generic Fantasy like that found in FR seems to have been done to death to me, and Eberron is a fresh take on the genre.
    I want to be a Warfroged SOOO bad.

In one of the games I'm in, I'm currently playing a pacifist Warforged Monk whose left arm and lower jaw got rusted off while being tortured after the last war.

Yeah.

DeVryGuy on
    FFTSig.jpg
  • Options
    zenpotatozenpotato Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    zenpotato wrote:
    I don't want to derail too much, but I hope WoTC licenses out Faerun for a persistant world MMO. There's just so much there.

Well, I think Faerun sucks too (Greyhawk forever yos) but a FR game could be very succesful.

DDO actually has a pretty fun core--it needs an overworld map and would make a pretty sweet game.

zenpotato on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Slightly offtopic aswell: Did they ever add druids and monks in DDO?

Silpheed on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Silpheed wrote:

I know they added a new race... but their patch notes are so damn cryptic.. I can't tell whats going on.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Silpheed wrote:

No, but they added drow.

Fucking turd burglers.

Litejedi on
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Edit to remove

DeVryGuy on
    FFTSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Litejedi wrote:
    Silpheed wrote:

No, but they added drow.

Fucking turd burglers.

I installed it yesterday, same old shit, different day. They've poorly concealed the hideous lack of content with a reputation grind ala World of Warcraft.... like that makes having to do the same story arc 20 times over less boring.

Oh and, everyone is a drow. Everyone.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Jasconius wrote:
    Oh and, everyone is a drow. Everyone.
    Haha, nice to see MMORPGers never change.

Panda4You on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Stupid dark elves.

Who invented dark elves so I can go back in time and kill them?

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Eberron is pretty nice at times, but it ain't no Planescape. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I'm always confused when people jizz all over it like its the second coming.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Uriel wrote:
    Stupid dark elves.

Blame Salvatore.

Also, Eberron is fun. I love me some Warforged.

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Uriel wrote:
    Stupid dark elves.

God yes.

Drizzt can go die in a fire made of scorpions.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    thorpe wrote:
    Uriel wrote:
    Stupid dark elves.

God yes.

Drizzt can go die in a fire made of scorpions.
    I think we might be able to make that happen in Eberron.

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    PipTheFair wrote:
    Uriel wrote:
    Stupid dark elves.

Blame Salvatore.

Also, Eberron is fun. I love me some Warforged.

I'm fairly certain that Salvatore didn't create them. He did start that Drizzt crap, so sting/burn him all you like.

Drow have been around since early first, with rules to play them in UA, those fuckers are older than I am.

Edit: Er...Eberron you say? (Stupid 'staying on topic') One of the things that I like the most about Eberron is that they reimagine races, often justifing old views with new reasons.

Eberron elves are the first elves that strike me as having a reason to be uppity bitches. I actually like them.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    I like the valenar elves and talenta halflings the most. The valenar elves because instead of being namby pamby wizardly types, they're borderline evil, ruthless killers who want to take over the world. Talenta halflings because they make halflings un-kenderlike. Instead of being little thieves, halflings started out as barbaric nomads, a culture that survives in modern-day Eberron.

Litejedi on
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Litejedi wrote:
    I like the valenar elves and talenta halflings the most. The valenar elves because instead of being namby pamby wizardly types, they're borderline evil, ruthless killers who want to take over the world. Talenta halflings because they make halflings un-kenderlike. Instead of being little thieves, halflings started out as barbaric nomads, a culture that survives in modern-day Eberron.
    Also: they ride tiny fucking Dinosaurs.

And wouldn't call them evil, just agressive, and downright mercenary.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    WHY wrote:
    Litejedi wrote:
    Also: they ride tiny fucking Dinosaurs.

And wouldn't call them evil, just agressive, and downright mercenary.

Slaughtering cyrian refugees escaping the day of mourning is pretty evil, but maybe that was just a few of them.

Litejedi on
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif