As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Pandemic] - Game 11 - Game Over - The Bio-Terrorist Wins - So it ends...

12346»

• Options
    CesareBCesareB Registered User regular
    Not me.

• Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    me either, unlucky draws

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    1) Move CesareB to New York
    2) Move myself to CesareB (New York)
    3) Move CesareB to Madrid
    4) Move CesareB to Algiers

• Options
    stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    yepo.png
    Epidemic hits Istanbul TWICE!
    The Black Plague explodes!

Game over! Bio-Terrorist wins!

jdarksun - Toronto; Manila; Ho Chi Minh City
    CesareB - Essen; San Francisco; Paris; Chicago; Madrid; Los Angeles; Algiers
    SeGaTai - New York; Kolkata; Cairo; Chennai; Jakarta

ObiFett - Location - Sao Paulo
    Bogota; Bangkok

Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
  • Options
    yea good game guys and thanks for running it stever

Obi take your RNG inspired victory

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    You guys had one more turn before I exhausted the purple supply on my following turn. That's not even counting any help I might have gotten from the diseases spreading.

More thoughts later when not on my phone.

• Options
  • Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Gotta say that I think the BioTerrorist really detracts from the game.

It does eliminate a bit of the "one person is just telling everyone what to do" element, though.

• Options

Its no different from the purple mutation variant, except you have an intelligent actor making choices on infections. Additionally, plans can be messed up as shown in this game when I blew up your research station.

From my perspective, and as someone who has played every other mode of pandemic multiple times, playing as the bioterrorist was fun because I had to make choices to try and make the research team's job as hard as possible based on my experience as a researcher. So I stuck to the annoying South America area and messed around with Santiago because its one of the hardest ones to get in and out of. I spent most of my time trying to be in good position to blow up any research stations and infect as much as I could in places that would make you choose to either cure purple or spend time with the normal diseases.

I had fun and I think it would be interesting to play against a bio-terrorist as well.

• Options
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Its no different from the purple mutation variant, except you have an intelligent actor making choices on infections. Additionally, plans can be messed up as shown in this game when I blew up your research station.
    What did you effect by destroying the research station in Atlanta? How did it hinder us?

• Options
    IRL I could see the bio terrorist being fun. In this setting it was to hard for me to follow where they chips be and didn't seem a big enough gain to care vs normal infection draws

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    ObiFett wrote: »
    What did you effect by destroying the research station in Atlanta? How did it hinder us?

It caused you to have to change your plans on when and how and where you were gonna cure the disease. It was an unknown effect you couldn't plan for that forced you to re-plan your strategy.

That's what the whole game is, really. It coming up with the best plan at the time, then waiting for infection and continuing on with the plan based on the cards you draw and the board situation. Epidemics happen at random times that you can't plan for. Cities come up in order that you can't plan for. Stuff happens and you plan out how to handle the situation as it develops and evolves. But its all automated. You know the deck isn't gonna re-order the cards to make the game as hard as possible.

With the bioterrorist, you know there is an entity out there actively attempting to screw with your plans and spreading a disease in a non-random, (hopefully) intelligent way. I don't see how thats a bad thing for a periodic change of pace in a normally purely automated and quarterbacky type coop like pandemic.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    Carefully spreading out the purple cubes was clever, and a good use of the BioTerrorist. But blowing up the hospital in Atlanta? I can't think of a single thing that would have changed had it been there.

The thing about Pandemic is that it's solvable to a failure condition. As in, you can play a perfect game and still lose due to bad luck.

Does adding a pseudo-adversary impact that in a positive manner? I'm not sure. I don't think so, and here's why:

We couldn't have won that seed without knowing that the Epidemic/Istanbul x2 combo would be drawn on my turn.

Let's assume that the events that occurred were fixed - that we could go back and play the exact same game. Reload the random seed, as it were. So we reload to my turn, could we have avoided the loss? Sure, I could have moved to Istanbul and cured all the cubes, but only because we had already cured black and because we had the knowledge that the combo was coming.

But without that foreknowledge? We never would have cured Istanbul, it was a unlikely event to occur. We couldn't have played "better"; we got unlucky.

That's just the kind of game it is.

I wouldn't call it "automated and quarterbacky", it's supposed to be a group problem solving puzzle. The secrecy rules that many people don't follow are supposed to prevent it from becoming a one player game.

I'm not going to fault it for not being Battlestar Galactica, but I'm just not sure what the BioTerrorist brings to the table besides another opaque failure condition in a game already fairly tied to an RNG.

• Options
    Yea I'm sure uni obi had fun, but it didn't add to it experience really. If I wanted the traitor/hunter experience BSG is better

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    I think the problem, for me, is that a lot of the engagement in Pandemic comes from the discussion of plans, both for the purpose of determining a long-term plan and for making the absolute most efficient use of my moves any particular turn. Having to keep our plans to ourselves really stunted my engagement. The game was less "we are a team tackling a problem" and more "I am presented with a few options on my turn, how can I optimize?" and unfortunately with so little to actually do on any particular turn it just doesn't resonate as well.

A lot of that could have fallen on us deciding to be more secretive than we really should have. Was the balance we struck between public and private information about what happens in a physical game, or were we a little more circumspect than is usual? I would imagine, if I played again, I would advocate for more open communication just to see what kind of impact it had.

• Options
    stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    So, sounds like the good guys would prefer open card lists vs. the hidden?

Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1