As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bookmarked threads show as fully read even if not

JAEFJAEF Unstoppably BaldRegistered User regular
Previously in the forums if I visited a thread I had bookmarked with 3 unread pages it would load the newest unread post on the 3rd-to-latest page. Then, if I read only that page and closed the thread, my bookmarks would still show new posts, but starting at the 2nd-to-latest page. This was a great way to break up reading larger threads into smaller chunks of time (or saving my place if I had to stop reading at a particular point.)

Now, when opening a bookmarked thread it is marked completely read to the most current post, even if you don't visit the most current page. Is this intentional? It's very inconvenient if so :(

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    This has been a bug with the new forums for like a year now. For some reason it marks like 400 posts as read instead of 40 or something like that. There was a thead on it way back when.
    yep. here it is:
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/165518/when-loading-a-thread-all-posts-are-being-marked-viewed#latest

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    Weird, because it was working in the previous fashion until just recently for me. Thanks Tof.

• Options
    jamesrajamesra Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    Huh. I was just coming in here to ask about this; since I try and catch up on the forums on lunch and in idle time, it has become really hard to keep up. I never quite know where I left off. Especially because I move across multiple devices, desktop, laptop, tablet... on some dire occasions even phone. It is my biggest (and at this point really only) grip with the new forum software. And it still feels new to me. I still haven't fully adapted to the turn of the century, after all.

Have we heard anything about if/when this might be fixed or whatever? It is a really valuable feature.

"Everything in war is very simple, but the simplest thing is difficult. The difficulties accumulate and end by producing a kind of friction. . . . This tremendous friction . . . is everywhere in contact with chance, and brings about effects that cannot be measured, just because they are largely due to chance" Carl Von Clausezwitz. (1832),
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    As a stop-gap solution, I've been saving drafts in threads I'm reading with notes to myself.

ie. "Continue reading from page 47" and just update it as I go.

So far I've only accidentally posted my note-to-self once.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    jamesra wrote: »
    Huh. I was just coming in here to ask about this; since I try and catch up on the forums on lunch and in idle time, it has become really hard to keep up. I never quite know where I left off. Especially because I move across multiple devices, desktop, laptop, tablet... on some dire occasions even phone. It is my biggest (and at this point really only) grip with the new forum software. And it still feels new to me. I still haven't fully adapted to the turn of the century, after all.

Have we heard anything about if/when this might be fixed or whatever? It is a really valuable feature.

Its been like this for over a year. I just checked out the (default) code and it looks like should work though - however I sometimes also see loading page 1 can reset the unread amount to the entire thread (except the first page) which should also be impossible based on the default code. Though they use the same column name for a bunch of different stuff so its a bit tricky to follow

Phyphor on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    What it's doing is marking the whole thread as read whenever you open it. It's especially fun if your connection gets interrupted while it's loading, or firefox crashes with tabs still opened to #latest, since then it jumps to the very end with you having no clue where your actual last read post was

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    So... I had a notification and a new message alert, from the 9th of November? Then there was an alert where I was mentioned in a thread. I click it, and it was from the 11th of November. So I shrug it off, and reload my Bookmarks and now it's showing 608 unread messages in that same thread (Steam).

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    What it's doing is marking the whole thread as read whenever you open it. It's especially fun if your connection gets interrupted while it's loading, or firefox crashes with tabs still opened to #latest, since then it jumps to the very end with you having no clue where your actual last read post was

This is what used to happen for me, but now it's remembering the last page I visited.

I mostly see this when I go back to the OP of a thread and then close the browser- when I go to bookmarks it says there's 2 thousand new posts :P

I actually prefer it working this way though- it means if the situation Spoit mentions comes up happens, or if I have a lot of catching up to do and have to leave, going back to bookmarks doesn't take me to the last page anymore.