As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wii U] THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN NEW ONE!

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    b1rdman wrote: »
    Houn wrote: »
    This is now "Wii U Tablet Brainstorming Chat".

Or a multiplayer top-down hack n' slash where the Wiimote players have to build characters and conquer a dungeon while the tablet player is simultaneously trying to "build" the dungeon ahead of them, constantly trying to find ways to hinder their progress to the goal by spawning monsters/designing rooms/laying traps, etc. Make it a race, so both teams have to move and think quick; if the players haven't reached the treasure in 5min, the DM wins.

Not that I've ever played any DnD or Tabletop type games of any kind, but wouldn't this be kind of like that, where the gamepad person is like the DM setting everything up for all the others playing. That would be pretty cool. Kind of like a diablo type game, where the gamepad user determines the fate and difficulty for the rest of the people playing. This would be so much better than the usual coop that most games have, because it would present different challenges for different players. This idea is gold, and I wish there were games like this available, or in development.

I was envisioning something more fast-paced; think Half Minute Hero (maybe not that fast), where a point of the contention between the Heroes and the DM is that it's a race. If the Heroes choose to clear the room, they may get more treasure and upgrades, but they give the DM more time to build more elaborate and deadly rooms. Conversely, if the DM spends too much time creating rooms, then the Heroes quickly catch up and reach the End before the DM can put more rooms in the way.

But even just a standard PnP style experience would be pretty sweet.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    While we're talking ideas:

The Wii U seems like it would be the ultimate console for anything creative. Want to customize teams and logos and plays in a football game - seems like the Wii U would be awesome. Want to make a new Mario Paint and incorporate voice chat or pictures from a built in camera - Wii U is perfect. Want to make a Train Simulator where you can draw routes and decorate to your heart's content - we've got a screen for that. Want to play a dollhouse game like the Sims without analog sticks - yup, that too.

Nintendo needs to capture the creative nature of the Mii Verse, Swap Note (I know...), Flipmode Studio and Animal Crossing and find a way to turn that into profit.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    They could just port all the coolest ideas from the DS, really. Henry Hatsworth type thing with puzzle game on the pad and platformer on the TV. Monster Tale type thing with a virtual pet on the pad and platformer on the TV. Warioware DIY type thing, leveraging the touch screen for easy drag and drop game creation and then letting people play your touchscreen creations.

I love what Pokemon X and Y do with always active apps on the lower screen you can cycle between, including MMO-ish multiplayer features where you can do stuff with your friends in real time just by tapping them.

2 player tower defense where the pad person builds a maze and the TV person navigates through it in 3D with his minions, then you switch.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    The 2DS was a great idea though. A super cheap DS out the same days as Pokemon X/Y, and besides it was the same system and played the same games. This.... is rather different than that.

Right. It will sell even less than the 2DS, because it is much more gimped and no new games are coming out for the platform. It's a nonentity that they are just trying to liquidate.

How is the Wii Mini different from the redesigns of the NES and SNES that they also sold? Or what about the new models of PS2s that came out after the PS3 was out?

Much ado about nothing, if you ask me. It's just a redesigned console for cheap. I don't think people will be confused by it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    The 2DS was a great idea though. A super cheap DS out the same days as Pokemon X/Y, and besides it was the same system and played the same games. This.... is rather different than that.

Right. It will sell even less than the 2DS, because it is much more gimped and no new games are coming out for the platform. It's a nonentity that they are just trying to liquidate.

How is the Wii Mini different from the redesigns of the NES and SNES that they also sold? Or what about the new models of PS2s that came out after the PS3 was out?

Much ado about nothing, if you ask me. It's just a redesigned console for cheap. I don't think people will be confused by it.

Be careful, I made that same argument in the Industry thread and was called a "Nintendo Apologist".
    2 player tower defense where the pad person builds a maze and the TV person navigates through it in 3D with his minions, then you switch.

This was kinda-sorta-almost what the ZombiU multiplayer mode was attempting to do, sans the "builds a maze" part.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I would agree with you, Cameron, but I think this is a special case. The SNES and PS2 never had the identity crisis that's been plaguing the U. Even casual observers of the video game scene understood clearly that the NES and SNES were different consoles, that the PS and PS2 were different consoles. I know it's anecdotal, but at the store I work at, I have to explain to someone every single day that the Wii U is not just an accessory for the Wii. Sometimes 2 or 3 times in a single shift. People are already confused by the Wii and Wii U, so tossing in a Wii Mini isn't going to help.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    How about an action game using drawing-based magic or special effects akin to Okami?

It doesn't need to be a port of Okami, wonderful though that would be. It could, say, use a comic-book aesthetic and star a rookie superhero and the guy drawing his comic.

• Options
    They could just port all the coolest ideas from the DS, really.

This is EXACTLY what they need to be doing, because that's what the Wii U is. It's a TV-based DS. Play to those strengths while you can, Nintendo, before things like Smartglass usurp your unique position to deliver these kinds of game experiences!

• Options
    An HD port of TWEWY would be cool.

Or. You know. A sequell. The World Ends With U.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    You know what else might have helped (but pissed some people off)? If you could have got Activision and Disney to only release the latest Skylanders and Infinity games on the Wii U. Really drive home the message that the Wii has been retired. In fact, I would say Skylanders Swap could have been a pretty major system seller if they could have forced all the Wii only families out there to flip to the newer console for it.

Edit: I don't mean as an system exclusive, just cancel the Wii versions.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    Oniros25Oniros25 Registered User regular
    Another idea I've had for the gamepad: blending genres. The wii remote players are playing a team based first-person shooter. The Gamepad user is playing their commanding officer back at base. With the gamepad, the commander is setting waypoints and preparing airstrikes and supply drops to help the other players advance through the level and defeat the enemy. Local single player modes (both as a member of the ground team and in an RTS commander mode), local co-op and internet multiplayer where two teams face off.

Similarly, a Splinter Cell style stealth tactical where the guy using the Wii remote or pro controller is controlling a stealth operative while the gamepad player is his support officer who can do things like hack security, temporarily kill power to knock out the lights. Set off false alarms, ect.

A spaceship/WWII flying fortress game where the direction of the ship is controlled with the analog sticks while the view from the turrets/bomb bay on the ship can be seen through the gamepad. Co-op allows one person to pilot and another to man weapons, but in this way the game can be played entirely by one person if you don't have another player handy. If it is indeed a scifi game, perhaps you could even have people with wii remotes moving about the ship itself protecting it on foot from hostiles attempting to board the ship (this is slowly starting to sound like a much more co-op and action oriented version of Faster Than Light...)

A game where the protagonist is displaced in time and exists simultaneously between two time periods, one on the TV, one on the gamepad. Probably a turn-based RPG so that the level of incoming information doesn't become overwhelming.

A horror game where what you see on the TV is your perspective and what's on the gamepad is the prospective of an incredibly powerful monster stalking you ala Nemesis in RE3. If you see yourself on the gamepad, it's time to run, run, run. Also, if you see it closing in on friendly NPCs, you might want to hightail it back to them to try and rescue them...

Nintendo Network ID: Oniros
    3DS Friend Code: 1461-7489-3097
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    Hell, why not port RPG Maker to the Wii U? There have been versions on the PS1 and PS2, so why the Wii U? The touch on the GamePad makes for the perfect input device for such things, and Miiverse even allows for built in sharing. HDD support (and the built in flash memory) even get rid of the concern about making sure everything can fit on a 4MB memory card.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    So here's the Super Mario 3D World commercial

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=eBbcUQyvXQw

Question is when we'll start seeing it on TV.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    No, the question is if.

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Oniros25 wrote: »
    Another idea I've had for the gamepad: blending genres. The wii remote players are playing a team based first-person shooter. The Gamepad user is playing their commanding officer back at base. With the gamepad, the commander is setting waypoints and preparing airstrikes and supply drops to help the other players advance through the level and defeat the enemy. Local single player modes (both as a member of the ground team and in an RTS commander mode), local co-op and internet multiplayer where two teams face off.

BF4 is doing that "Commander Mode" with SmartGlass on both PS4 and XBO, and it's supposedly amazing. You'd think the system with a built in touchscreen would be a shoe-in for that game but nope, "unprecedented partnership".

There are all kinds of amazing and outstanding creative ideas for WiiU games that will never be possible on any other system on earth, but they'll never be made because the only games that sell are the Nintendo games. No third party is going to try anything new because it'll get buried.

It sucks but those are the breaks.

• Options
    edited November 2013
    skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    sweetcreamscoopssweetcreamscoops Registered User regular
    Well, that's just depressing.

• Options
    QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    Heh. I get it...

OH GOD WHY ARE THEY DOING THIS?

NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
  • Options
    Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    Speaking of Wii U game ideas: Professor Layton where you use the gamepad to scan areas for puzzles and coins.

• Options
    Igpx407 wrote: »
    Speaking of Wii U game ideas: Professor Layton where you use the gamepad to scan areas for puzzles and coins.

I was actually trying to think of an adventure game type application for the gamepad. That's so obvious I can't believe it didn't occur to me. Brilliant.

• Options
    Professor Layton vs Ace Attorey 2 - only on Nintendo Wii U.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    skeldare wrote: »

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you: Nintendo's Business Strategy!

*edit* We got rid of :roll:? Now that's more depressing than Wii U's Sales! *ba dum PISH*

Houn on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I will say that releasing a console that encourages creativity may not be the best idea in a market where everyone else fears new ideas.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    I will say that releasing a console that encourages creativity may not be the best idea in a market where everyone else fears new ideas.

Quoted for being the most true and simultaneously most depressing statement I've ever read on these storied forums. Insert "I don't want to live on this planet anymore" meme, ect, ect.

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Thank god for Nintendo and Indies, otherwise every holiday season would basically be "Call of Duty: Subtitle, Battlefield #, Madden 20xx, Assassin's Creed #: Subtitle, and maybe a dash of Halo # and Killzone: Subtitle for good measure."

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    That commercial is terrible. Absolutely terrible. Less bullshit with people on the couches and in giant cat costumes and more footage of the parts of the game that show off the HD lighting effects and all of the powers and items.

You don't need to make half the commercial staring at idiots playing it to inform about its multiplayer.

Viskod on
  • Options
    That commercial is terrible. Absolutely terrible. Less bullshit with people on the couches and in giant cat costumes and more footage of the parts of the game that show off the HD lighting effects and all of the powers and items.

You don't need to make half the commercial staring at idiots playing it to inform about its multiplayer.

How else will they know it's for the Wii U then?

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular

This is the style of commercial that sold all of Nintendo's biggest games last generation.

You can say "in spite of it" rather than "because of it," but when step 1 is make commercial with happy people on couches and step 2 is profit, can you blame them?

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Re: Wii Mini

They tested it out here in Canada, without Mario Kart Wii, at that, and it apparently did well enough to warrant sending it to the Yanks. And after I bought one for someone in the States who just wanted the red controllers, too.

My four-year old niece got one for Christmas, her first console. Her dad has a PS3, but this is for her, and there's no online to worry about, nothing too fancy, just a cheap way to get her started with some good games without putting a multi-hundred dollar machine or tablet controller at risk.

After all, new potential gamers have been born since the Wii was released, this is a good niche for them. Also good for the true "casual" gamers, i.e. those who won't be gaming online or need to be up on the latest software or even play all that much.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Thank god for Nintendo and Indies, otherwise every holiday season would basically be "Call of Duty: Subtitle, Battlefield #, Madden 20xx, Assassin's Creed #: Subtitle, and maybe a dash of Halo # and Killzone: Subtitle for good measure."
    Yeah, thank god Nintendo is releasing another Mario, Wii Party, Pokemon, Wii Fit, and yeah I feel like I've made my point.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Not to say Nintendo is as bad as, say , EA or Activision, but they're hardly bothering to experiment these days.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    Two things:

I recall reading on Eurogamer that PS4 and XBone games had some lag when Vita/Smartglass were employed but it probably depends on the application. Either way the Wii U has hardware specifically to copy the framebuffer to the pad, and the GamePad is included with every console. So while it's a novelty on other consoles that you might throw in some support for for fun it's not something that developers can rely on.

Anyway the first part there leads me to the next part:
    Remember that Japanese Garden tech demo for Wii U? They never did anything with it and we never really saw any direct feed of the entire thing but apparently:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2Nsa06KRLo
    It was rendering the scene from two different viewpoints (one of which you can look around with). Also it's pretty!

Afaik know the dev kits/system had a clock speed bump and better compiling tools a few months before release, but we never saw new demos, and the most they did with the ones they had was roll them into Game & Wario. Oh well.

Just a shame to see so much wasted effort. I would totally buy a game where you played a bird flying around a garden in different seasons.

Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Yeah, thank god Nintendo is releasing another Mario, Wii Party, Pokemon, Wii Fit, and yeah I feel like I've made my point.

Don't forget:

Legend of Zelda: Subtitle
    Mario Party #
    Donkey Kong Country: Subtitle
    Super Smash Bros. _

Innovation!

• Options
    Dirty wrote: »

Don't forget:

Legend of Zelda: Subtitle
    Mario Party #
    Donkey Kong Country: Subtitle
    Super Smash Bros. _

Innovation!

You just described 90% of the game industry.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Just because a game is a sequel or another entry in a franchise doesn't necessarily mean it can't be innovative. Obviously this is true for all kinds of franchises.

Come on, people.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    sweetcreamscoopssweetcreamscoops Registered User regular
    That's pretty much what dirty and Rorus are saying.

• Options
    That's pretty much what dirty and Rorus are saying.

I was sensing some sarcasm, but my sarcasm meter's been a little wonky lately.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    New Super Mario Bros. is the antithesis of innovative.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    In today's "Well That Makes Perfect Fucking Sense" category, we have a new marketing initiative from Nintendo. They are opening up a Wii U Lounge in several Pottery Barn Teen stores... because... I don't know.

http://www.pbteen.com/pages/wiiu/

• Options
    New Super Mario Bros. is the antithesis of innovative.

The NSMB series was never meant to have any type of innovation. That's what the 3D Mario series is for.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
This discussion has been closed.