As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Complexity, games and condescending arseholes

DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
edited September 2007 in Games and Technology
So i watched the Zero Punctuation feature on Bioshock, and I'm currently playing it. He thinks that it has been dumbed down for the 'console tards' and the 'console tards' think that he is a 'pc elitist dick'. I've never played SS2, but I can certainly believe that Bioshock is in many ways a simplified objectivist high def version.

There was a time when the PC was the bastion of extremely complex games: from mech sims to complex ww2 history games. I remember reading a PC mag where Grand Prix Legends (a hardcore sim) was described as the greatest racing game ever, and now nobody even remembers it. I guarantee it would fail if released today. Deus Ex and Thief, two of the great examples of PC complexity were simplified (to varying degrees) for the console incarnations. Rainbow Six is now almost unrecognizable.

So is the console to blame? I think not. This trend towards simplification can't really be attributed to the rise of consoles, as it has occured across pretty much every major franchise (except MGS3). If you go back and play Ocarina of Time again, I guarantee you will get stuck more times than you did on your first play through of Twilight Princess. The MMO, which stepped into the graphical world with Ultima Online has become World of Warcraft. Wild, lawless and incredibly high learning curve frontier has become a well regulated and safe playground.

So what do you think? Are games simpler now, or are they just not growing faster than our familiarity? Do you mourn the death of the sim and the adventure game? Would Bioshock be any better if you had to choose a class and you weren't given unlimited lives?

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
DodgeBlan on

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    So i watched the Zero Punctuation feature on Bioshock, and I'm currently playing it. He thinks that it has been dumbed down for the 'console tards' and the 'console tards' think that he is a 'pc elitist dick'. I've never played SS2, but I can certainly believe that Bioshock is in many ways a simplified objectivist high def version.

There was a time when the PC was the bastion of extremely complex games: from mech sims to complex ww2 history games. I remember reading a PC mag where Grand Prix Legends (a hardcore sim) was described as the greatest racing game ever, and now nobody even remembers it. I guarantee it would fail if released today. Deus Ex and Thief, two of the great examples of PC complexity were simplified (to varying degrees) for the console incarnations. Rainbow Six is now almost unrecognizable.

So is the console to blame? I think not. This trend towards simplification can't really be attributed to the rise of consoles, as it has occured across pretty much every major franchise (except MGS3). If you go back and play Ocarina of Time again, I guarantee you will get stuck more times than you did on your first play through of Twilight Princess. The MMO, which stepped into the graphical world with Ultima Online has become World of Warcraft. Wild, lawless and incredibly high learning curve frontier has become a well regulated and safe playground.

So what do you think? Are games simpler now, or are they just not growing faster than our familiarity? Do you mourn the death of the sim and the adventure game? Would Bioshock be any better if you had to choose a class and you weren't given unlimited lives?

The simplification can be blamed on consoles for certain types of games. Things like sticky aim and full on auto-aim aren't necessary with a PC title. You can also typically manage units in an RTS situation with a dozen hotkeys and full mouse capability a lot better than you can using an analogue scroll stick.

I do not think this trend will continue forever. I m hopeful that systems like the Wii make it so that you get all the benefits of a console game:

Ease of use.
    Lack of need for upgrades.
    Good buddy list management.
    Level playing field.

While at the same time the familiarity and quick-to-master control style still allows a great deal of control and motion, able to closely match what is available on the pc today.

It probably wont happen for another two generations in my opinion, but it is happening.

Also, I hate to say it. Yes, Bioshock would have been a much deeper and more interesting game had console development been out of the picture. Even the addition of an inventory management system and the ability to properly manage plasmids without maneuvering though the clunky made-for-console menus would have been nice.

Also, I can't help but think the respawn-tube system was made the way it was simply for the sake of consoles having to rely on checkpoints. It ruined the atmosphere and risk based underwater about to die environment almost completely for me.

I also like to think that a pure PC version may have had some online play support via simple ip connect like SS2 did... 8 years ago. That may not be entirely realistic, but I firmly believe the other stuff is.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Games are definitely getting much simpler than they used to be. Rather than blaming consoles though its most likely due to gamings rising popularity in the casual sectors (although consoles are most likely responsible for that at least). Companies don't want to make games that might be too complicated for some people to play now as it cuts into potential sales.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    It's hard to judge since I can't go back in time and un-play those games I found hard and easy back in the day. Now, certainly, there are more guides in-game to get you back into the action so you don't hit a brick wall (I got stuck in Secret of Mana in some forest and couldn't proceed until I did some obscure puzzle that I don't remember ever getting hints for) and get bored.

But does that make the game dumbed down or streamlined? It's really a matter of perception, and you'll always get elitist pricks who think their console or their PC is better than the others..

What you're seeing here is a large percentage of gamers who use PC's to game and to browse the nets with (the same medium you see the "console tards" argument on) and deliver a message about their preferred gaming box. The "console tards" don't usually have many supporters as they don't use the internet as much as PC gamers (not to say they don't use the net at all).

To summarize my rambling: Games are more streamlined, but the popular perception of dumbing down games for console users is merely a coincidence and not a consequence.

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    DirtchamberDirtchamber Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    Also, I hate to say it. Yes, Bioshock would have been a much deeper and more interesting game had console development been out of the picture. Even the addition of an inventory management system and the ability to properly manage plasmids without maneuvering though the clunky made-for-console menus would have been nice.

Bullshit. Firstly, if you can show me one interview where Ken Levine or anyone else on the Bioshock team says something like "We wanted to do all this stuff, but ... you know ... Xbox LOL", then I'll eat my motherfucking cock. Secondly, and I've had this debate before, inventories != depth. What the hell is it that makes people think that arranging items on a grid is some kind of heady exercise that only bulbous-brained PC gamers can hope to understand?

Deus Ex was not a deep game because it had inventory Tetris. SS2 was not a deep game because it had inventory Tetris. No fucking game ever has been deep because it had inventory Tetris.
    Also, I can't help but think the respawn-tube system was made the way it was simply for the sake of consoles having to rely on checkpoints. It ruined the atmosphere and risk based underwater about to die environment almost completely for me.

Yes, because super-genius PC gamer favourite, System Shock 2, certainly didn't have anything similar. I mean, there were those Quantum Reconstruction Chambers that respawned you every time you died, but they were totally different because ... uh ... they weren't made for console. Right?

(Incidentally, I'm pretty sure Yahtzee was taking the piss with that comment about Bioshock being "dumbed-down" for console. You know, just like he was with the rest of that review.)

Dirtchamber on
  • Options
    MajestrosMajestros Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    It's just a symptom of games become more costly to produce, right? I mean, if you need to hire 50 people to produce a video game these days and it costs millions of dollars, then you need to sell more games to make up for it. There are only so many hardcore gamers to go around, so you have to expand your audience to casual gamers who don't want to put up with games that force you to play through the same part 100 times. They definitely don't put up with playing through an entire level or map or whatever, only to find out that they can't win because of a mistake they made 4 hours ago.

So all of that stuff is no longer a part of the current game development atmosphere. Sucks if you were into high difficulty but it's kinda unavoidable. Also, difficulty and depth are usually not syonymous. Frustration and depth are almost never syonymous. These days i'd rather play games that don't require 80 hours to finish, cuz i don't have that kinda time or cuz there are two other games i'm trying to get to.

Majestros on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    There are still plenty of deep and complicated games. You just have to look harder to find them.

The PC still has plenty of them, and even consoles have them as well.

On the other hand, PC gaming has also always had simplistic games as well, throughout its history. As a matter of fact, I would argue that extremely simplified 'casual games' have always been way, way more popular on the PC than any of the extremely complex games.

The only difference now is that we're starting to see a middle ground on the PC, where there are games that are simpler than some PC stuff but not as simple as the casual games.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Bullshit. Firstly, if you can show me one interview where Ken Levine or anyone else on the Bioshock team says something like "We wanted to do all this stuff, but ... you know ... Xbox LOL", then I'll eat my motherfucking cock. Secondly, and I've had this debate before, inventories != depth. What the hell is it that makes people think that arranging items on a grid is some kind of heady exercise that only bulbous-brained PC gamers can hope to understand?

Deus Ex was not a deep game because it had inventory Tetris. SS2 was not a deep game because it had inventory Tetris. No fucking game ever has been deep because it had inventory Tetris.

Yes, because super-genius PC gamer favourite, System Shock 2, certainly didn't have anything similar. I mean, there were those Quantum Reconstruction Chambers that respawned you every time you died, but they were totally different because ... uh ... they weren't made for console. Right?

(Incidentally, I'm pretty sure Yahtzee was taking the piss with that comment about Bioshock being "dumbed-down" for console. You know, just like he was with the rest of that review.)

Except on the pc it did cost resources to use a tube. You couldn't just run up and wrench Shodan to death. You also had weapon decay, which was fine because you had an inventory and a set of skills you could develop to keep them repaired.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they could have made all that stuff work on a console. It sure seems like they wished they had an inventory system a good portion of the time. The combat seemed balanced for a small set of weapons, not a rack of never ending weaponry strapped to your back by the time you're 4 hours in. Plus there's the whole food laying around thing.

I really wish someone merely suggesting that a game could have been improved upon, or they'd have even just preferred to play it on a pc would stop being seen as some sort of console bashing elitist hatred. Really, I'm not making fun of the cock size of console owners or throwing bags of flaming shit on your porch... because I happen to be a console owner. Someone with a console mentions Halo is the best fps ever and someone else contends that they prefer Half-Life and somehow, the Half-Life fan is elitist. I don't run around boasting at how awesome and superior PC shmups and platformers are, because I accept the majority of good titles are on consoles. A little bit of reciprocated respect would be nice.

Edit: And the fucking inventory is what made Deus Ex a good game, you try fitting every goddamn gun in your inventory at the end of the game. It can't be done... you're forced to pick your favorites. Maybe someday, 11 years from now when Ken Levine gets to write a book like some of the stuff id software has put out based around their development of the doom and quake games, we'll find out if he wanted an inventory system. The PC version of Bioshock, awesome as it may have been, definitely felt like a console port.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    Maveric120Maveric120 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Yes, because super-genius PC gamer favorite, System Shock 2, certainly didn't have anything similar. I mean, there were those Quantum Reconstruction Chambers that respawned you every time you died, but they were totally different because ... uh ... they weren't made for console. Right?

Reconstruction Chambers, if I recall correctly, are not on every deck in SS2. ANd they have to be activated. So, you can still die in SS2. I sure as shit did. The huge difference is that it is functionally impossible to die in Bioshock. Honestly, I'm not sure which is better. Bioshock loses a good bit of intensity, but it's still exciting, I've never gotten stuck, and I've enjoyed every minute of it.

edit - beaten

Maveric120 on
    Maveric120.png
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Wow, everyone's taking that comment of ZP's so seriously. He was just baiting fanboys and being contrary on purpose, even I can see that. I don't get why everyone's up in arms about it. He's angry about everything in order to be funny. He even says about as much at the beginning of the review.

Back to the topic at hand, PC Games in general were complicated affairs before PC Gaming became less exclusive and more mainstream. Today there are still about as many complex games (PC is still the only real place to go for 4X games for example), but in general other more mainstream genres have come to the front now, as is to be expected. Some games have adapted by simplifying and streamlining their interfaces and gameplay in order to make it easier to get into for a larger player base. That's not because of consoles, that's just business sense.

Would I have liked a slightly more in-depth system in Bioshock? Sure, but I don't think it's consoles that are the reason they did that. It's just being less insular in order to sell more.

subedii on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I think the respawn system in Bioshock did a great deal to keep the gameplay flowing, because the combat is pretty damn unforgiving especially in the earlier sections of the game. The penalties seemed balanced enough that I would fight to avoid it, but at the same time I didn't get stuck in my usual "quicksave...quicksave...quicksave" routine every 2 seconds.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    subedii wrote: »
    Wow, everyone's taking that comment of ZP's so seriously. He was just baiting fanboys and being contrary on purpose, even I can see that. I don't get why everyone's up in arms about it. He's angry about everything in order to be funny. He even says about as much at the beginning of the review.

Back to the topic at hand, PC Games in general were complicated affairs before PC Gaming became less exclusive and more mainstream. Today there are still about as many complex games (PC is still the only real place to go for 4X games for example), but in general other more mainstream genres have come to the front now, as is to be expected. Some games have adapted by simplifying and streamlining their interfaces and gameplay in order to make it easier to get into for a larger player base. That's not because of consoles, that's just business sense.

Would I have liked a slightly more in-depth system in Bioshock? Sure, but I don't think it's consoles that are the reason they did that. It's just being less insular in order to sell more.

My problem with games like Bioshock and R6:Vegas on PC don't really involve the depth of the gameplay. Moreso they just feel like awful ports of a console game (not so much Bioshock). It's the shift in attitude towards PC gaming by the people who want to make moneyhats. They develop for the lowest common denominator and then don't even bother fixing things (in the case of Vegas) like the UI, netcode, server browser, etc.

The most extreme and obvious example of this was the sequel to Deus Ex. It still had code in the configs for the fucking X-box. I understand you want to make a multi-platform game that is available to a wide audience, but don't pull that kind of shit.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Yeah, I don't think easily accessible is the same thing as simple and shallow.

Gamers are also getting more adept at their hobby so the games you think are simple may be ridiculously complex to a novice.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    ardentlyardently Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    It might also be fair to say that dev's have decided to make games easier to play because they just want to, i.e. in TF2 the devs go on and on about how they took out grenades because they liked the game more wiht better-defined classes (see also DoD:S). I'm also willing to bet that Starcraft 2 is going to be simpler in some ways than it's predecessor because Blizzard might just want to see if it can make a more intuitive game that doesn't require all the tedious macro.

ardently on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Edit: And the fucking inventory is what made Deus Ex a good game, you try fitting every goddamn gun in your inventory at the end of the game. It can't be done... you're forced to pick your favorites. Maybe someday, 11 years from now when Ken Levine gets to write a book like some of the stuff id software has put out based around their development of the doom and quake games, we'll find out if he wanted an inventory system. The PC version of Bioshock, awesome as it may have been, definitely felt like a console port.

I honestly can't believe you just said that. Leaving aside the fact that the PS2 version of DX is just as fucking good as the PC original (and I know this, having played both multiple times), you seriously think that inventory management is what made Deus Ex brilliant? You think that if Ion Storm had taken out inventory Tetris, everything else - the brilliant level design, story, dialogue, and characters - would have amounted to nothing?

Why do you even bother to play games at all? Why not just buy a big cardboard box and see how many different things you can fit inside it? Man, that'd be just like real-life version of Deus Ex!

Dirtchamber on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Point the first: Starting off using that review of Bioshock is just a bad idea. He said that on purpose. Console gaming doesn't necessarily mean dumbed down. Fuck two of the more complex controlling games I can think of; Steel Battalion (which has like 20+ buttons) and Madden (which feels like it has 20 buttons, and could probably go for a few more.)

Was Bioshock dumbed down from SS2? Pretty much, yeah. Is it the console's fault, or the market's fault, or a descision to make the game more open? Probably the third.

Though I do blame the Xbox version of Morrowind for getting rid of nudity in the base version of the PC game. The models were so horrible they were probably doing me a favor.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Except on the pc it did cost resources to use a tube. You couldn't just run up and wrench Shodan to death. You also had weapon decay, which was fine because you had an inventory and a set of skills you could develop to keep them repaired.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they could have made all that stuff work on a console. It sure seems like they wished they had an inventory system a good portion of the time. The combat seemed balanced for a small set of weapons, not a rack of never ending weaponry strapped to your back by the time you're 4 hours in. Plus there's the whole food laying around thing.

I really wish someone merely suggesting that a game could have been improved upon, or they'd have even just preferred to play it on a pc would stop being seen as some sort of console bashing elitist hatred. Really, I'm not making fun of the cock size of console owners or throwing bags of flaming shit on your porch... because I happen to be a console owner. Someone with a console mentions Halo is the best fps ever and someone else contends that they prefer Half-Life and somehow, the Half-Life fan is elitist. I don't run around boasting at how awesome and superior PC shmups and platformers are, because I accept the majority of good titles are on consoles. A little bit of reciprocated respect would be nice.

See, that part is just nonsense. What typically happens is that someone will call Halo their favourite shooter, and then some PC elitist will come in and say "Halo is a mediocre game to anyone who has played shooters for X number of years on the PC, where shooters are always better, etc etc." Bit of a difference there. And an inventory system is not the only way to limit weapon choices. Just look at Halo, where it was done perfectly.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    This is just going to turn into another crappy "ZOMG, PC's vs Consoles!" thread isn't it?

subedii on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    This is just going to turn into another crappy "ZOMG, PC's vs Consoles!" thread isn't it?

Yes. Are you surprised?

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Incidentally, my point about the Vita-Chambers/Quantum Reconstruction thingies was that the former is clearly an evolution of the latter - and has nothing to do with the fact that Bioshock is on a console. (And at any rate, the QRCs - or whatever they were called - were so cheap, and nanites so plentiful, that they might as well have been free anyway.)

Dirtchamber on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Incidentally, my point about the Vita-Chambers/Quantum Reconstruction thingies was that the former is clearly an evolution of the latter - and has nothing to do with the fact that Bioshock is on a console. (And at any rate, the QRCs - or whatever they were called - were so cheap, and nanites so plentiful, that they might as well have been free anyway.)

As a side-note, how is having that idiotic respawn system a consolification of the game? Most console shooters use a checkpoint save system, which is completely different than what Bioshock does. Nowadays I actually prefer it to Quicksave/Quickload, because you can't just inch your way through the game, saving every time you accomplish something.

Evangir on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

I honestly can't believe you just said that. Leaving aside the fact that the PS2 version of DX is just as fucking good as the PC original (and I know this, having played both multiple times), you seriously think that inventory management is what made Deus Ex brilliant? You think that if Ion Storm had taken out inventory Tetris, everything else - the brilliant level design, story, dialogue, and characters - would have amounted to nothing?

Why do you even bother to play games at all? Why not just buy a big cardboard box and see how many different things you can fit inside it? Man, that'd be just like real-life version of Deus Ex!

Did a PC kick your ass in grade school and make the girls laugh at you or something? Inventory can easily be done on a console, that's not the point. It's designing something without having to shy from complexity, hoping you're not alienating your biggest market.

Except now, the market that ends out alienated is often the one that supported the development houses in the first place. Rainbow Six goes to console and it becomes something definitely not Rainbow Six. Tribes? Thief? Deus Ex? GRAW? You don't even have to say that the games became bad (some did, some improved) but merely suggesting it changed them somehow is akin to ramming a baseball bat with a nail through it up a fervid console fans mothers vagina.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Evangir wrote: »

Yes. Are you surprised?

I guess not. Only I got enough of people telling me I was an idiot purely for still playing PC games in the last thread as it was. Bah, I was hoping for some other discussion this early in the morning.

/ exits thread before the fireworks really start.

subedii on
  • Options
    NoneoftheaboveNoneoftheabove Just a conforming non-conformist. Twilight ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Was Bioshock dumbed down from SS2? Pretty much, yeah. Is it the console's fault, or the market's fault, or a descision to make the game more open? Probably the third.

The 3rd reason is exactly it, you hit it.

System Shock 2 was fun because it was restrictive to all the good parts of the game. It was more rewarding to upgrade my character and weapons because it was so hard to do.

Noneoftheabove on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Did a PC kick your ass in grade school and make the girls laugh at you or something? Inventory can easily be done on a console, that's not the point. It's designing something without having to shy from complexity, hoping you're not alienating your biggest market.

Except now, the market that ends out alienated is often the one that supported the development houses in the first place. Rainbow Six goes to console and it becomes something definitely not Rainbow Six. Tribes? Thief? Deus Ex? GRAW? You don't even have to say that the games became bad (some did, some improved) but merely suggesting it changed them somehow is akin to ramming a baseball bat with a nail through it up a fervid console fans mothers vagina.

So instead of blaming consoles, how about you blame publishers for wanting their games more accessible so they can make more money? Or blame developers for not being creative enough to make a decent, balanced system in lieu of a full-blown and clunky inventory system? There are many more factors than just "lol console port."

Evangir on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

See, that part is just nonsense. What typically happens is that someone will call Halo their favourite shooter, and then some PC elitist will come in and say "Halo is a mediocre game to anyone who has played shooters for X number of years on the PC, where shooters are always better, etc etc." Bit of a difference there. And an inventory system is not the only way to limit weapon choices. Just look at Halo, where it was done perfectly.

Actually, it usually starts with "Halo is the best shooter ever made." Someone usually ends out saying "While Halo was an alright game, it was nothing new when compared to the library of shooters available in all flavors for the PC."

Coincidence would also have it that Halo wasn't the first game ever to limit you to two or three weapons. The system is also hardly perfect when someone wants to say... carry a rifle and a backup rifle in case the first one breaks and their character has progressed with rifles very much in mind for this game. What if you want to use a bunch of smallish weapons. That was my favorite in Deus Ex, going through it with a pistol, crossbow, throwing knives, and a bunch of different explosives.

They could (and eventually did) let you do that on a console, but because the game was developed for the PC they didn't have to add a bunch of features to make it PC friendly. As it is now they strip a bunch of shit out to make it "console friendly" and then you end out with a lackluster PC game. The console friendly part isn't even about computing power anymore, it's what they think the market wants... I have a feeling if you let console gamers play complicated things, they'd probably end out a little smarter than they're given credit for.

Edit: I'm not fucking blaming anyone. That's the problem, I'm not attacking consoles. There can still be a cause and effect without blaming someone or demanding they change their crazy unfairness right this instant. If you read my very first post I say I don't think it will continue much longer, I myself would like to stop upgrading my PC just so I can play games I enjoy. That doesn't mean that I really like it when they take what could have been an awesome sequel/continuation of some of my favorite PC games and turn them into dumbed down multi-platform dogshit, with the PC getting the shortest end of the very short stick.

Is the PC gaming world suffering from excessive ports of games that were once native? Yes
    Are these games often simpler and easier than what they may have been used to in the past, even among iterations of a single series? Yes

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

System Shock 2 was fun because it was restrictive to all the good parts of the game. It was more rewarding to upgrade my character and weapons because it was so hard to do.

I'm going to have to side with this as well. By the end of Bioshock, I had the most ridiculously overpowered character capable of achieving anything I wanted to try my hand at. In SS2, you had to prioritise what you're going after and make some hard choices about what works best for you, you can't have everything.

Really, I think that was down to a design decision, and I would have preferred it if I had had to tailor my character in some more significant ways than was offered. I think they were just worried about it being to difficult to play (because admittedly in SS2, if you didn't know what you were doing and spread yourself too thin, it was easy to make things a lot harder for yourself).

/exits thread again, fo reals this time, honest.

subedii on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

I'm going to have to side with this as well. By the end of Bioshock, I had the most ridiculously overpowered character capable of achieving anything I wanted to try my hand at. In SS2, you had to prioritise what you're going after and make some hard choices about what works best for you, you can't have everything.

Really, I think that was down to a design decision, and I would have preferred it if I had had to tailor my character in some more significant ways than was offered. I think they were just worried about it being to difficult to play (because admittedly in SS2, if you didn't know what you were doing and spread yourself too thin, it was easy to make things a lot harder for yourself).

/exits thread again, fo reals this time, honest.

Bioshock could have done with a hard mode where your shit was limited ala SS2. But it's not a huge deal.

Kind of like Real Survivor mode in the ReMake. Makes the game harder while bringing some life/frustration into it.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    So your whole point comes down to "console gamers aren't as smart as PC gamers" and "console games are by definition dumbed down." That sounds pretty elitist to me.

Evangir on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

I don't have a problem with PCs. I bought and played Bioshock for PC precisely because I'd prefer to play that sort of game in front of a keyboard and mouse. What I take issue with is sneering pricks who think that the archaic genre conventions of PC games somehow make them "deeper" than their console counterparts. Depth is not a function of complexity; the two sometimes go together, but one doesn't necessarily imply the other.

And nobody is "alienating" PC gamers - PC gamers are alienating themselves with their ridiculous, almost fanatical fondness for needless complexity. It's like it doesn't even matter if a game is fun or not; if it doesn't have a goddamn inventory and forty-billion hotkey commands and a thousand guns (each of which has three different types of ammo) then by God, it must be a dumb piece of shit for those stupid console kiddies.

Also, I think it's kind of funny that you mention Thief, because I happen to think that Thief 3 is by far the best in the series. Even with - OMG! - loot glint. I know, I know: I must just like stupid games.

Dirtchamber on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

I don't have a problem with PCs. I bought and played Bioshock for PC precisely because I'd prefer to play that sort of game in front of a keyboard and mouse. What I take issue with is sneering pricks who think that the archaic genre conventions of PC games somehow make them "deeper" than their console counterparts. Depth is not a function of complexity; the two sometimes go together, but one doesn't necessarily imply the other.

And nobody is "alienating" PC gamers - PC gamers are alienating themselves with their ridiculous, almost fanatical fondness for needless complexity. It's like it doesn't even matter if a game is fun or not; if it doesn't have a goddamn inventory and forty-billion hotkey commands and a thousand guns (each of which has three different types of ammo) then by God, it must be a dumb piece of shit for those stupid console kiddies.

Also, I think it's kind of funny that you mention Thief, because I happen to think that Thief 3 is by far the best in the series. Even with - OMG! - loot glint. I know, I know: I must just like stupid games.

I never said the console games were stupid or sucked. They just end out VERY VERY different from the PC games that spawned their series. Typically in the direction of simplicity. Please, stop acting like I've just kicked your dog. I'm starting to think you've got the rabies or something.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

I never said the console games were stupid or sucked. They just end out VERY VERY different from the PC games that spawned their series. Typically in the direction of simplicity. Please, stop acting like I've just kicked your dog. I'm starting to think you've got the rabies or something.

I love how you went from "I never said console games were stupid" to "console games go in the direction of simplicity" in the space of two sentences.

Evangir on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

I love how you went from "I never said console games were stupid" to "console games go in the direction of simplicity" in the space of two sentences.
    Depth is not a function of complexity; the two sometimes go together, but one doesn't necessarily imply the other.

What the fuck is your malfunction?

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    By the by, what are some of the really old FPS or FPS hybrid games that had lots of inventory management, grids if possible.

I LOVE inventory management in games.

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    JCRooksJCRooks Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Depth is not a function of complexity; the two sometimes go together, but one doesn't necessarily imply the other.

What the fuck is your malfunction?

No, I think he's right. Your PC-bias is fairly obvious to me as well, although you're doing a fairly poor job of trying to hide it. You're implying simplicity = stupidity, although not explicitly stating it. But heck, console games aren't even "simple" in the first place. Many of them just aren't. Or it has nothing to do with the fact that it's a console, but for other reasons (like broadening).

JCRooks on
    Xbox LIVE, Steam, Twitter, etc. ...
    Gamertag: Rooks
    - Don't add me, I'm at/near the friend limit :)

Steam: JC_Rooks

Twitter: http://twitter.com/JiunweiC

I work on this: http://www.xbox.com
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Yes, Bioshock would have been a much deeper and more interesting game had console development been out of the picture.

GEE, I WONDER WHAT THAT IMPLIES ABOUT CONSOLE GAMES.

Dirtchamber on
  • Options
    Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Hell, thats almost necessarily true just because of the dev savings from only developing one game rather than 2 independently at the same time.

Also, that means the console game would've been better if it had been exclusively console.

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Yes, Bioshock would have been a much deeper and more interesting game had console development been out of the picture.

GEE, I WONDER WHAT THAT IMPLIES ABOUT CONSOLE GAMES.

That they take resources away from what could be an amazing single platform game? The platform interestingly enough that hosted the "spiritual prequels" for the game? Holy shit!

Thinking it would have been better isn't the same as saying it was awful? Do I think being on a console held back the complexity of what could have been a much deeper game? Yes I do. Did the game turn out pretty spiffy? Yes it did.

I also said I don't think the limitations of consoles will be around much longer. For a long time the hardware was holding them back. Now it isn't. Developers just need to learn that a little complexity is okay, and console gamers aren't all mouth breathers who just play Madden. Devoting more resources to a single platform will always yield a better game. Ports end out like mush almost universally, it doesn't matter what you're porting from or to.

Edit: For some reason, console games that stay console exclusive for a year or so before coming to the PC never fall victim to this on the console. Where for some reason, PC games that are going to go to a console always need to be developed in parallel.

If you devote all of your resources to making Gears of War for the 360, it comes out awesome. Then you spend a year porting it to the PC.

If you devote your resources to making a PC Game (Deus Ex : Invisible War / GRAW / Rainbow Six Vegas / Tribes: Vengeance / Shadowrun) that will also come out on consoles, for some reason they have to come out at the same time. This almost always means trimming down the PC game, instead of releasing the PC game and then spending a year tweaking it for console release.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Umm... okay. I was more trying to steer this towards the GENERAL trend towards simplicity across all consoles. But whatever, go nuts.

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    You know for all the bashing it gets, Madden is actually a pretty complex game.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    omgboomlolomgboomlol __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    BigDes wrote: »
    You know for all the bashing it gets, Madden is actually a pretty complex game.

So is Tecmo Super Bowl for NES. Which is in my opinion better than any Madden title to date.

omgboomlol on
    omgboomlolud1.gif