Options

Job or college first?

nukanuka What are circles?Registered User regular
I can't do both where I am. I just had to move back in with my folks and they're as strict as ever. My dad is willing to help out with college expenses so it would be wise that I didn't push my luck. I'm 26 years old, and my dad is 61. He can only help me out financially for 5 years or so until he plans to retire.

I want to move out again and be independent. I also want to be an elementary school teacher and that will take some years of school, including the community college courses I need to catch up. I have a place to go if I find work but since I haven't had a job in years who knows how long it would take me to find one now, I've been actively searching for work for 5 months now already.

I feel like I've wasted enough of my life as it is, so I feel really pressured to make a decision now.

DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I think it might depend on WHY you can't do both.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Shit I knew I forgot something!

Okay, I have a history of depression and I didn't do my homework in school. Because I wasn't allowed to partake in any extracurricular activities or get a job before I graduated school, I assume I won't be able to work while I'm going to college while I'm living with my folks.

nuka on
  • Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    If you can't do both, it seems that school is your only real choice. Being independent right now is nice but it will not get you any closer to your goal. This type of decision only gets more difficult as you get older, especially with your dad's financial help being time-limited. Living with the parents sucks, but the faster you graduate the faster you can achieve long term independence. Delayed gratification.

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I wonder if I can convince my dad to let me go to a community college closer to where my boyfriend and friends are, instead of the closest one. I'm kind of in the middle of nowhere right now.

nuka on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Well, coming from people who ostensibly are supposed to encourage you to do as much as you can the best you can, I don't really feel like those words you just said make a lot of sense when you put them together like that. I know your parents are.. special, though.

Ideally, you would do both, one full-time and one part-time, with counseling through school for any emotional problems.. honestly therapy is the only way I got through school. If it's a case of "you can't live here if you do both" then I guess it's best to pick school maybe? At least at the end of all this you'll be employable where you want to work. If it's "we won't give you money if you do both" then fuck that, you're 26 and legally independent for tax purposes: apply for financial aid for school, get a job, save up all you can over the next few months and move the hell out.

Ask for permission as little as possible; you are an adult, and the only way they can have control over your life is if you give it to them, and for every little bit you give them they will end up taking more. It is reasonable for them to dictate your conduct while you are at home, such as asking you to clean up after yourself, but they should not be allowed to keep you from coming and going as you please and they cannot dictate what you do with your time when you are out of the house.

• Options
    Oh they do their best, trust me. I'll talk to them, without asking permission, about going back to school at least to see what my options are.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Given a choice between the two, I pick school. Furthering your education while the economy is still trying to recoop the loses from the recession is two-birds-one-stone in my book.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Why in the hell did you move back in with your parents?

• Options
    edited December 2013
    Why in the hell did you move back in with your parents?
    I had no where else to go. I assure you I only plan to stay here for as long as it's necessary.

nuka on
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    If you're absolutely that you want to be a teacher, then you have to go to school in order to realize that dream. Throw me in on the "full-time school and part-time work" bandwagon. I worked my way through college, and honestly was the better for it. That being said, everyone's situation is unique, and I know you've had your history with things like depression (and your parents), etc. etc. etc.

Do you have a therapist? This would be a good thing to bring up with that person. If not, then going full-time to school should give you access to health care, including counseling services. I would talk with that person as well, as a job can be a big thing (or a small thing) depending upon the person, the job, and everything else going on in that person's life.

The important thing is to not use work as an excuse not to go to school. Going to class and studying should always be your #1 priority. Work is a great #2, helps you fill your free time with something constructive (hopefully), and also gets you some $$$ to help you along the way. If it starts adding unusual amounts of stress or gets in the way of going to class, studying, doing hw, etc. then you need to scale down on the work hours or quit the job and find something else more amenable to being a full-time student. It's been my experience, however, that work generally helps people add structure to their lives, especially if they do something that requires they get up in the morning. Nothing helps exacerbate lazy student syndrome like not having to get up until noon every day. If you have a job that forces you to get up on the mornings you don't usually have to get up (or similarly helps to fill in the gaps to structure your day), it usually helps quite a bit just in the general scheme of things.

• Options
    No therapist, I got better. She also moved away. I got really lucky finding her too so it's pretty sad she's in another state now.

That's a good point about "lazy student syndrome" and I hope to use it as leverage when I talk to my folks.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Get a part time job and go to the local community college full time. If you can't handle ~20 hours of retail and 15 credit hours, you probably aren't going to be able to handle a job like teaching.

Also, do your homework this time.

• Options
    Yes dad. :P

It was worthy of a thing I should have sought help for but I was ashamed so I didn't. It's not a question if I can deal with a job and college, but if my parents will let me while financing college and I still live here.

I can argue about my age and rights all day, they don't budge.

• Options
    Apply for FAFSA. Do not ask, just do it. It is not up to them. Go get a job. It's not their business, just do it. Apply to the school you want to go to, see what aid you can get, and make up the rest with money made from working. None of this needs to be discussed with them. That's what I mean by not asking permission. It's not up for discussion. Normally I would say sure, put up with what you need to in order to get that help, but you are back in an abusive environment and you know it, so it is CRUCIAL that you do what you can to maintain every last shed of independence you can.

Armed with the above information such as what FAFSA will give and what you can make, if you need extra for school then you can go to them and say 'I need this much, are you willing to give it to me so that I can go to school?' If the answer is no or if there is a stupid condition attached, you may need to get another job. Do not just trust that your depression was fixed, especially now that you are back with your parents. You know what that shit feels like now, so keep an eye out for the signs.

When you apply to schools, maybe apply to ones that have on-campus housing, and see what FAFSA will contribute. That way you don't have to live there while you do any of this. I feel like it's more important that you not live with your parents than pretty much anything else right now because you are already talking about giving this much control. It can really sneak up on you until you find yourself unable to leave the house without permission or 'discussion', and is so easy to slip backwards emotionally when put back in that environment. Again, they can't have it unless you give it to them because you are fully for every purpose an adult. Unfortunately, you are in a position that you need to fight just to get your life started. You can't do that without the confidence that you can make this work on your own if you need to.

• Options
    edited December 2013
    What do I do if it takes a long time to find work? I can't go to university because I don't have the credits, so do community colleges even offer housing?

EDIT: Nevermind, the school I'm looking to go to has dorms.

nuka on
  • Options
    Okay I'm forming a plan. Do nothing until January except find work. I can use financial aid for dorms, my only decision at this point is which school to go to. The one up here or the one further south with my boyfriend.

I know it sounds obvious that I should just move in with him but his place is ridiculously tiny. We were already making light discussion about me moving in with him anyways.

• Options
    Do the one near him and spend more time with him so you can see if moving in with him in the next year is definitely the right thing for you both, IMO.

• Options
    I'll have to wait and see because he was doing some spring cleaning and I have to take measurements and he has things he wants to purchase first. Like an actual bed.

• Options
    edited December 2013
    That is assuming there isn't a difference in school programs. If one is much better for teaching, it's worth considering that one first.

ceres on