As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Wednesday, December 11, 2013 - The Great Game

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited December 2013 in The Penny Arcade Hub

• Options
    PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    I quit that game so long ago, and I know it's changed almost beyond recognition. But damn if this comic doesn't bring back some memories that have me wanting to log in and see the place again. I guess this is how heroin addicts feel when they get sober.

• Options
    BremenBremen Registered User regular

I heard about this and my first thought was "I really weep for whatever agents gets assigned to read through MMO chat".

Though reading that article I'm starting to suspect some NSA guys just wanted an excuse to play video games at work.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Bremen wrote: »
    I heard about this and my first thought was "I really weep for whatever agents gets assigned to read through MMO chat".
    Maybe it'll finally get some decent funding for the Department of Education.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »

O yes it would be beyond nice to have this lead to that

But I wonder why other than goofing off time they thought they would find terror and other disturbing things in Wow you can just ask blizzard they probably have hard drives full of the naughty stuff said in Moonglade

• Options
    PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Rorus Raz wrote: »

O yes it would be beyond nice to have this lead to that

But I wonder why other than goofing off time they thought they would find terror and other disturbing things in Wow you can just ask blizzard they probably have hard drives full of the naughty stuff said in Moonglade

Well the theory is that terrorists will use game chat because it isn't monitored in the same way that phones or email are. They seem to feel that they need to monitor all communication everywhere, always. I wonder if they have people stationed out in the woods looking for conspiracies flashed with signal mirrors?

• Options
    Game chat is semi monitored they can just go back when someone complains about this person said something that offends me or is quite naughty! and do something about it
    I learned all about this way back in the 90's and early games online

They just did this to goof off and spend tax payer money in creative ways

They know where terror groups gather and post it's not that hard to figure out

• Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    That title though.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Oh! Cause they're fish monsters.

Hah.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Second life would be a scary place to spy upon

• Options
    RottonappleRottonapple Registered User regular

Though reading that article I'm starting to suspect some NSA guys just wanted an excuse to play video games at work.

there was a reason I generally kept trade chat turned off unless I really REALLY needed something

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    -Dude on the phone with his superior-

"Sir, we're going to need a bunch of Playstation 4s and Xbox Ones. We now believe that the terrorist threat has moved to next gen as well. Yes. Yes sir. Yes, we will need all the currently available games too. Thank you sir." -click-

"You guys! It fucking worked! Again! Wooooo!"

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    once more we play our dangerous game

a game of warsong gulch

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    -Dude on the phone with his superior-

"Sir, we're going to need a bunch of Playstation 4s and Xbox Ones. We now believe that the terrorist threat has moved to next gen as well. Yes. Yes sir. Yes, we will need all the currently available games too. Thank you sir." -click-

"You guys! It fucking worked! Again! Wooooo!"

not too hard to sell to your NSA boss that you need to be on that thing that comes with a camera that can apparently detect naughty words

• Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    I really want to be that NSA guy who has to infiltrate some guild, and then explain it to his boss.

"No look, this match right here is very important, we win, and I'm in, they accept me as their own."

Point Break story line ensues.

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    OmegaDezOmegaDez CanadaRegistered User regular
    I had absolutely NO IDEA what this comic was about. Then I hit the forum and
    Aaah, WoW.

I think WoW is when I started to feel like I wasn't part of the internet gaming culture anymore. So much weird lingo and memes originated among the MMORPG playing crowd, and since I had absolutely zero interest in the genre, I got left behind. Sad.

Still, what is this about, other than being a WoW reference?

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    The nsa story linked above

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OmegaDezOmegaDez CanadaRegistered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    The nsa story linked above

OOH. Right. I should have read the entire thread. :(
    LOL. This makes the whole thing a lot funnier. I wonder why they never have the newspost ready at the same time as the comic. It mystifies me.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Anyone selling an FBSS
    Meet me at the tunnel in
    East Commons
    Runic Carver FS PST
    I'll buy it
    Cleric needed for CR, will donate!
    A Skeleton hits you for 4 damage
    Noob training Slate to FP, look out!

Pls sell me ur FBSS for 10 plats
    I will take no less than 10k ....
    GTFO

Does griffins spawn here at night?!
    One more needed at orc 1
    GIVE ME UR FBSS FOR FREE LOLZ
    Selling a bunch at second torch PST

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    waterboarding murlocs is a dark and hilarious one-off

• Options
    hateseededhateseeded Registered User regular
    I would reactivate my account just to form a guild called <Islamic Extremists> but, I'm sure it's already been done in every possible permutation by now.

I hate every ape I see, from chimpan-a to chimpanzee.
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    hateseeded wrote: »
    I would reactivate my account just to form a guild called <Islamic Extremists> but, I'm sure it's already been done in every possible permutation by now.
    what would be the best is if the guild was mostly comprised of Islamic people who liked skateboarding, Doritos and Mountain Dew. And red bull.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    roflstomproflstomp Registered User regular
    This comic was full of win, and feels like some old-school PA. :-D

• Options
    hateseededhateseeded Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    syndalis wrote: »
    what would be the best is if the guild was mostly comprised of Islamic people who liked skateboarding, Doritos and Mountain Dew. And red bull.

Reminds me of a hilarious comic in an SF newspaper during the very first "X-Games". tried to find it but failed. Basically, it showcased several little known new sports featured in the games, one of which was an SF favorite: "aggressive passive-aggressive behavior". Still makes me giggle.

hateseeded on
    I hate every ape I see, from chimpan-a to chimpanzee.
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    As soon as I saw this headline the other day I was like "I'll bet anything this gets made into a PA Comic"

Great one.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Stuff like this:
    Tycho wrote:
    When your hosts here at Penny Arcade first met in Newspaper Production class, we ran a fairly transparent but incredibly satisfying scam, wherein we would assess local arcades during school hours with the idea that an article might come of it. On the way back, there was a pizza place that offered massive, unconscionable cratons of pizza for fifty cents each. He said that we should return immediately to school, but I brooked no dissent on the issue. He was afraid that something would happen, and I said we would cross that bridge when we came to it. He’d never heard the saying before, and it hit him in the chest. I’m certain I’ve told the story before, but I got the sense that he had been crossing a lot of bridges preemptively.

Is why I will pay any amount of money to read anything Jerry writes. I would pay $100 for just a book of shopping lists he's written.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    MatzMatz Bronze Grandmaster FurieRegistered User regular

Guild leader should be "DurkaDurka"

2uenpg3.png

Lose: The opposite of win
    Loose: Your mum
    _J_ wrote: »
    I imagine that I make more money from D3 than I would make sucking dick. But I wouldn't want to spend either my D3 or dick sucking money on gear.
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Matz wrote: »

Guild leader should be "DurkaDurka"
    Well, there are 229 of them, shouldn't be too hard to find one.

• Options
    NeuroskepticNeuroskeptic Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Stuff like this:
    Tycho wrote:
    When your hosts here at Penny Arcade first met in Newspaper Production class, we ran a fairly transparent but incredibly satisfying scam, wherein we would assess local arcades during school hours with the idea that an article might come of it. On the way back, there was a pizza place that offered massive, unconscionable cratons of pizza for fifty cents each. He said that we should return immediately to school, but I brooked no dissent on the issue. He was afraid that something would happen, and I said we would cross that bridge when we came to it. He’d never heard the saying before, and it hit him in the chest. I’m certain I’ve told the story before, but I got the sense that he had been crossing a lot of bridges preemptively.

Is why I will pay any amount of money to read anything Jerry writes. I would pay $100 for just a book of shopping lists he's written.
    Sorry, but no, Jerry is bad. He uses long words and is pretent...ito..ous... whatever. Me good. He bad.

Am I doing 'those' posts right?

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Yes, long words like preemptively and transparent. How dare he!