As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New to DnD

claxtonclaxton ClubPA regular
edited September 2006 in Critical Failures
Some friends that I play FFXI with are about to start a forum game of DnD, and I would like to play with. What books will I need to buy? Is there a beginners book that explains the basics? Such as that explaines the classes and races, how to add stats et cetera.

Its not enough to win. You want nothing left of your enemy but a skull nailed to a fence post so everybody understands the cost of crossing you. -Durga
claxton on

• Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2006
    Get the Player's Handbook. That should contain everything you need to start.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Might want to check out the LEARN ON thread. The games are full but you can watch in.

You can get most of the stuff for free off WotC's site.

Scooter on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Well there are a few ways you can start, if you wanna dive right in you can get the three core rulebooks, the Players Handbook, the Dungeonmaster's Guide and the Monster Manual. If you go this route I might also suggest you try to find a bginers game and get into it, there are usually some beginer friendly games going on that will be posted at your local hobby/tabletop store.

If you wanna start out slower there is the D&D Basic Game that will teach you the rules with and how a tabletop RPG is supposed to play. Plus it comes with some nice miniatures you can use to represent your characters if you chose to use miniatures in the full game.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited September 2006
    Dungeons & Dragons for Dummies is actually a pretty good introduction to the rules for new players (although you'll still definitely want to pick up a copy of the Player's Handbook 3.5).

I would actually stay away from the Basic Game box set if you're planning on playing with the official 3.5e rules. The version of the rules it presents is pretty dumbed down and different enough that it could be more confusing than helpful.

DMAC on
  • Options
    Werewolf GamerWerewolf Gamer Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Once you get the swing of things you might check out Ebberon too. I have been playing for nearly 2 years with a group and we have a blast. I like the Ebberon setting much better.

Speaking of new to D & D. We're buying my daughter her first Dice set (the oversized so she doesn't try to swallow them size). I'm so pround of my mini nerd!

Werewolf Gamer on
  • Options
    NerissaNerissa Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Once you get the swing of things you might check out Ebberon too. I have been playing for nearly 2 years with a group and we have a blast. I like the Ebberon setting much better.

Speaking of new to D & D. We're buying my daughter her first Dice set (the oversized so she doesn't try to swallow them size). I'm so pround of my mini nerd!
    Aww... now I'm gonna have to do that. How big are the dice? Big enough for a toddler < 2 years? (since you mentioned swallowing, I'm guessing yes) Did you get them at your local game store or order them from somewhere?

Nerissa on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2006
  • Options
    Werewolf GamerWerewolf Gamer Registered User regular
    edited September 2006

Speaking of new to D & D. We're buying my daughter her first Dice set (the oversized so she doesn't try to swallow them size). I'm so proud of my mini nerd!

Yeah they are big enough for a toddler. We saw them at Lone Star Comics by the house but they are online. My daughter is 1 1/2. We let her help roll during our last session when we couldn't get a sitter. She did good, she rolled a natural 20 3 different times! Course they were for initiative :P

There's big plush ones too. We spotted those at Animefest in the dealers room.

Werewolf Gamer on
  • Options
    NerissaNerissa Registered User regular
    edited September 2006

Speaking of new to D & D. We're buying my daughter her first Dice set (the oversized so she doesn't try to swallow them size). I'm so proud of my mini nerd!

Yeah they are big enough for a toddler. We saw them at Lone Star Comics by the house but they are online. My daughter is 1 1/2. We let her help roll during our last session when we couldn't get a sitter. She did good, she rolled a natural 20 3 different times! Course they were for initiative :P

There's big plush ones too. We spotted those at Animefest in the dealers room.
    Cool, I'll have to look next time I'm out buying miniatures, my daugther is about the same age, but I suspect she'd much rather pick up a pencil and draw all over my character sheet if I let her near the table while we are playing. :D

Nerissa on
  • Options
    WeZilWeZil Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Also, for a basic run down and quick access to the rules, check out the d20 SRD. It's got most of the core rules seen in the Player's Handbook, Monsterous Manual, DM's Guide, Expanded Psionics Handbook, Epic Levels and the Unearthed Arcana.

Now it doesn't have everything. It's still missing a lot of the explenation, flavor and informative funions, so I highly HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend you don't try to substitute ANY of the three core rule books with the SRD. Also, there seem to be some minor, but annoying bits of core rules missing. I can't remember specific examples, but I remember when trying to build a character while at work I was frustrated endlessly by missing tidbits. I think it was starting money, or something. I dunno. Pissed me off. All the same, it makes a great quick reference when you want to look up a quick rule or two.

WeZil on
  • Options
    val^2val^2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Linky link:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/srd35

You know, to help. Maybe.

val^2 on
    "THERE IS NO MORE TIME, EVEN FOR CAKE. FOR YOU THE CAKE IS OVER. YOU HAVE REACHED THE END OF CAKE." - DEATH
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    How do I use a character sheet? Is there a guide that shows how to make a character? I'm going to be a half-elf monk if that helps.

claxton on
    Its not enough to win. You want nothing left of your enemy but a skull nailed to a fence post so everybody understands the cost of crossing you. -Durga
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    double post.

claxton on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Character creation is explained in the player's handbook pretty thoroughly.

INeedNoSalt on