As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Any good Wolverine stories?

PompaPompa Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Graphic Violence
hey guys
im kinda new to the comic scene and im looking to read up a bit more on Wolverine. im looking for a good story arc past or present but i don't know what to look for, so i hope you guys can help me out. i have the HC of Origin, but i wanted a bit more ass kicking. From what i hear the Wolverine Origin series is pretty pants so i will avoid that, unless i can be convinced. ive heard something about House of M? is there somewhere i should start? as you can probably tell im at a loss.

also, i wouldn't mind looking into the X-men in general. any good stories i should pick up?

Pompa on

• Options
    Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    ahhh thats kinda embarrassing :oops:

Pompa on
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I fully expected to open this link and find 6-7 posts of just "HAHAHAHhahahahahahhAHAHAH" and then a mod locking it. The fact that this was not the case could be considered a sign of growth. I'm so proud.

Bare with me since my memory sucks moose balls but I do recall a wolverine comic from the late 80's where Wolverine was on a cruise ship (why I dunno) but on this cruise ship some big purple/pink monster was running around and picking off all the women on the ship one by one (leaving a nasty bloody mess behind). It ended with Wovlerine fighting it underwater (under the cruise ship iteself) and somehow getting the monster to pass through the blades of the ships prop to kill it (since it was some weird ancient powerful monster thingy that he couldnt kill with his claws).

It wasn't original by any means but the way the story was put together actually had a fair bit of suspense in it.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I fully expected to open this link and find 6-7 posts of just "HAHAHAHhahahahahahhAHAHAH" and then a mod locking it. The fact that this was not the case could be considered a sign of growth. I'm so proud.

Bare with me since my memory sucks moose balls but I do recall a wolverine comic from the late 80's where Wolverine was on a cruise ship (why I dunno) but on this cruise ship some big purple/pink monster was running around and picking off all the women on the ship one by one (leaving a nasty bloody mess behind). It ended with Wovlerine fighting it underwater (under the cruise ship iteself) and somehow getting the monster to pass through the blades of the ships prop to kill it (since it was some weird ancient powerful monster thingy that he couldnt kill with his claws).

It wasn't original by any means but the way the story was put together actually had a fair bit of suspense in it.

That story is in Essential Wolverine Vol. 2, which has several really good stand-alone stories and a few arcs based in Madripoor.

The first couple Essential volumes are probably a good start, since it's the character before he became an end-all walking wank machine.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    ah man thanks. i have been here googling for about 20 mins trying to find out what that story was.

Pompa on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    It has some dialogue in the issue that still sticks out in my mind even though I haven't read it in years.

[Pregnant women are talking about names for their children. One of them thinks Sherlock is a good name.]

Woman stops Logan and asks, "Excuse me sir... Do you think Sherlock is a good name for a boy?"

Logan: "Sure. If you got something against boys."

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    silkypeasilkypea Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I would suggest wolverine in the mid-90's. That is what got me into comics in the first place and I still really enjoy it. I'd say start with issue 69 and then get to about 80. I'm thinking it would be in an essential somewhere vol. 3 or 4 but I don't know. Really cool shit happens, good art, good fighting.

silkypea on
    from the bottom of the bottle to the top of the throne
    doom the fuck tree
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Clarmount and miller

Bloods End on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Wolverine is awesome.

There, I said it.

august on
  • Options
    TylerbroorTylerbroor Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I've got Weapon X, Blood Hungry, and the 6th wolverine legends volume. Weapon X is really quite good, but the other two are kinda trashy. I've been looking for something else worth reading, but a lot of it is standard comic fare.

Tylerbroor on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Wolverine was awesome until they made him entirely unkillable.

That CW run of his made me so angry.

Accualt on
  • Options
    ThadDeusThadDeus Registered User new member
    edited September 2007
    There's a great Wolverine story collected in trade called "Wolverine: Law of the Jungle". It's Wolverine vs. the mafia.

Story and art are both top-notch (except the last issue, wherein there is a fight with the punisher for no reason. You can skip it).

If you're looking for good Wolverine, you'd be doing yourself a disservice by skipping past this one.

ThadDeus on
    I hate vampires.
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited September 2007
    There was a four issue storyline written and illustrated by Steve Skroce back in 2000 that I really enjoyed. I think he was in Japan, caught in the middle of a Yakuza gang war.

DMAC on
  • Options
    delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    wolvie better be a fucking skrull, so they can retcon all shittyness from him and reveal that stryfe had him since the executioner's song

delphinus on
  • Options
    PantheraOncaPantheraOnca Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    delphinus wrote: »
    wolvie better be a fucking skrull, so they can retcon all shittyness from him and reveal that stryfe had him since the executioner's song

Ha!

PantheraOnca on
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    silkypea wrote: »
    I would suggest wolverine in the mid-90's. That is what got me into comics in the first place and I still really enjoy it. I'd say start with issue 69 and then get to about 80. I'm thinking it would be in an essential somewhere vol. 3 or 4 but I don't know. Really cool shit happens, good art, good fighting.
    This is a terrible suggestion.

Quality comics in the 90's were few and far between.

Wolverine was not one of them.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
This discussion has been closed.