As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hoi chummer, come sit and discuss our next Table Tops Games

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    The Geek wrote: »
    I just watched Clue last night with my boyfriend! He'd never seen it so it was a lot of fun.

It holds up surprisingly well.

It is the best film based on a board game.

In high school I was part of a play based on said movie.

Good times as Colonel Mustard, and between that and the movie, I'll always hold a little fondness for Clue, even if it's just the idea of Clue, rather than actually playing it.
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Got a copy of Gloom from a friend

I have not played it yet, but I just read through the rules and a handful of the cards

This looks delightful

I got a friend Gloom and some of the expansions for Christmas last year. It can take a little getting into, and will depend heavily on the creativity of those you're playing with, but we found it to be a ton of fun.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Up until the mention of Col. Mustard I had no idea you guys were talking about Cluedo.

This is like Where's Wally.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »
    Up until the mention of Col. Mustard I had no idea you guys were talking about Cluedo.

This is like Where's Wally.

full of unnecessary -dos?

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    gtrmp wrote: »
    White Wolf/Onyx Path has been releasing a free classic PDF book on DriveThruRPG every day this week as a promo for the various games' forthcoming revisions. Today's freebie is Mage: The Ascension, Revised Edition

And the next (and last) free game is Hunter: The Vigil.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    gtrmp wrote: »
    White Wolf/Onyx Path has been releasing a free classic PDF book on DriveThruRPG every day this week as a promo for the various games' forthcoming revisions. Today's freebie is Mage: The Ascension, Revised Edition

I missed that, but happily I already own all three editions of M:tA so it's all good.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    Has anyone had any experience with Numenera? I remember the kickstarter and just noticed some supplements on DriveThru but idk what the general consensus is with it.

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Snowbear wrote: »
    Has anyone had any experience with Numenera? I remember the kickstarter and just noticed some supplements on DriveThru but idk what the general consensus is with it.

Numenera is a game where, before they roll, players must decide how many points from a limited pool (that when it hits bottom you're one step closer to being dead) to spend on making the roll easier.

The DM is actively discouraged from telling players exactly how hard the roll is going to be in the first place. In fact, in the example of play, the first roll the DM calls for is actually a complete nothing-burger: they bullshit a player to get them to spend points and nothing changes as a result of the roll.

My recommendation: avoid system at all costs, loot setting, play Gamma World in it instead.

Glazius on
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    So last night my Scion game really started to ramp up.

After an intense battle in Annan Castle with Sir Ladinas of the Savage Forest, Sir Sagramore le Desirous, and Sir Petrice of Ireland that demonstrated just how immortal the immortal Knights of King Arthur were, the party retreated, seeking a different way to claim the Crown Jewel of Avalon hidden within the castle.

Our scion of Dionysus amped up her Mystery purview by playing some tunes on her old, beat-up guitar, and netted sic successes on six dice, which gave her enough information to find out about the trapped, hidden entrance into the Vault of the Annan as well as the solution to the vault(uttering an oath of fealty,) as well as a clue to defeating the Immortal Knights: Remove the curse on King Arthur, and the immortality spell will also fade.

The Scion of Heimdall quickly found the secret door in the drained moat and the Band headed in, quickly triggering the boulder trap, releasing a massive one-ton stone that rolled down, only to be blocked by the Scion of Izanagi's mighty muscles. A quick negotiation with the Kami of the rock(who would not stop talking about how magnificent his crushing body was), left the group safe from being crushed.

From there we moved to the Vault of Annan, a massive bottomless pit(20 foot diameter) where only proving your loyalty could allow you to reach the bottom, and the jewel. A very handy infinite rope helped lower the scions of Heimdall(the flashlight) and Thor(the muscle) for a few minutes before they realised they weren't getting anywhere and decided to spout oaths of fealty.

Now the Scion of Heimdall was sensible and swore an oath of loyalty to Heimdall, rolled his high Loyalty virtue, proved that he was loyal to his dad, and landed safely in the bottom of the pit.

The Scion of Thor decided to swear an oath of loyalty to Arthur, true King of Britain, tying him into the magical oath of fealty and the spell of immortality that binds all the Knights. He failed his resistance roll thoroughly(two successes vs his loyalty virtue of four,) and now he's a huge liability. Luckily, unless he gets marching orders direct from Arthur, he won't cause any trouble.

So then the party flew up the tunnel, killed a Deepcrow of the Morrigan, and took a train to Oxford. I'm going to give them an introduction to the Merlin and his ancient wizard council soon, I think. Very soon.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Glazius wrote: »

Numenera is a game where, before they roll, players must decide how many points from a limited pool (that when it hits bottom you're one step closer to being dead) to spend on making the roll easier.

The DM is actively discouraged from telling players exactly how hard the roll is going to be in the first place. In fact, in the example of play, the first roll the DM calls for is actually a complete nothing-burger: they bullshit a player to get them to spend points and nothing changes as a result of the roll.

My recommendation: avoid system at all costs, loot setting, play Gamma World in it instead.

that was designed by monte cook, yeah?

wasn't he the guy who deliberately put stuff in D&D to trap new players in bad feat selections and whatnot?

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

wasn't he the guy who deliberately put stuff in D&D to trap new players in bad feat selections and whatnot?

More or less.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I dunno if I would write home about the system

but the setting is pretty good

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

kinda sorta

he operates under the assumption that ivory tower design is good

• Options
    cook does love killing PCs though

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    My understanding of Monte Cook is, for all his flaws in doing mechanics, his setting stuff is pretty okay.

He was one of the primary people behind Planescape, and a lot of people hold that in pretty high regard.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    My understanding of Monte Cook is, for all his flaws in doing mechanics, his setting stuff is pretty okay.

He was one of the primary people behind Planescape, and a lot of people hold that in pretty high regard.

he designs really awesome settings and can tell a really good story

but fuck me does he not want people having fun when they play his setting

• Options
    LIFE ISN'T FUN! NEITHER SHOULD GAMES!

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Setting written by Monte Cook?

Okay, might be cool.

Rules written by Monte Cook?

nope nope nope nope nope

• Options
    SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    Wow. That's... Pretty shitty. OK well thanks for the warning. At least the setting is cool.

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Well I wouldn't say the system is bad at all

It's got some cool ideas and is entirely workable. We aren't talking 3.5 DnD here, we are talking a good system that works well for what it does. It's not standout but it is by no means broken or anything.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    WTF local game store, I want one of the following for a nerd party this weekend: 7 wonders, Chaos in the Old World, Agricola, Puerto Rico, or Galaxy Trucker, and you have not a one.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    WTF local game store, I want one of the following for a nerd party this weekend: 7 wonders, Chaos in the Old World, Agricola, Puerto Rico, or Galaxy Trucker, and you have not a one.

we have a local game store?

man I actually need to explore the area some more

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    did someone mention planescape

getting a phantom erection all of a sudden

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited January 2014

He wrote a lot of the later stuff for Planescape, mainly the material that tied it back in to the AD&D 1st edition mythos (and the awful metaplot book that ended up being the last book in the line before it got cancelled), but the setting was originally created by David 'Zeb' Cook. Not that Monte Cook didn't write some interesting stuff for the setting, but for the most part it was firmly in line with the weird fiction/pulp-horror vibe that he went for in his third-party d20 materials, rather than the semi-satirical "philosophers with clubs" schtick that had been prevalent in the earlier Planescape sourcebooks.

gtrmp on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    We just bought forbidden desert.

Opinions incoming.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »

I'm sure there's a joke here about a 50% chance to hit, but I just can't give it substance.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »

I'm sure there's a joke here about a 50% chance to hit, but I just can't give it substance.

That's a pretty ghastly joke, TBH.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    oh i just got that joke.

kinda glad i missed it.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »

That's a pretty ghastly joke, TBH.

*drums fingers on desk*

*hits Awesome*

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    We just bought forbidden desert.

Opinions incoming.

It's pretty good. Jen gave my brother a copy for Christmas. We broke it out last weekend and got about a turn away from winning, as described in the newspost.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    You have a newsletter now?

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I found myself at the Amazon page for A Few Acres of Snow, finger hovering over the purchase button, when I had this flash, this vision, of trying to sell even a single person I know on playing it with me.

I closed the tab.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I'd play it

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Me too.

Pooro, you should buy it then Shorty and I will play it.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    :(

• Options
    Vivienne and I struggle to find groups for table topping as well sometimes.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

Myriad games in dover, jetpack comics in Rochester and there's one in Portsmouth as well

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    For christmas I got Risk Legacy and Betrayal at House on the Hill.
    I haven't cracked open Risk Legacy yet, but man do I love teaching Betrayal to a new group of people, my roommates love this game almost as much as I do

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I would love Risk Legacy if it involved a game other than Risk.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

Myriad games in dover, jetpack comics in Rochester and there's one in Portsmouth as well

didn't know about myriad, neat

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    You have a newsletter now?

Nah, the current PA comic and Tycho's post are about Forbidden Desert.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
This discussion has been closed.