As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Friday, January 3, 2014 - The Thirstening

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited January 2014 in The Penny Arcade Hub

• Options
    <:__)~<:__)~ Registered User regular
    Awesome.

• Options
    miaAusamiaAusa GOD Gamer Of Daters ValhallaRegistered User regular
    WHO DARES DISTRUB THE WATER KING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

his face is funny as he does not share the water

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Well I'm a Capricorn and we work hard or whatever, so I should be the water carrier.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Lotsa synergy with yesterday's post. :D

I also love the skull right at his feet.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    yeah panel 3 definitely just made me laugh very loudly like some sort of doof

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Birthday comic (Capricorns unite, or not because screw horoscopes)

Goose! on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    I got Forbidden Island and we played it a grand total of once. Me and a friend essentially choreographed everybody else's moves the entire game while they sat there apathetically. Is Forbidden Desert any less prone to quarterbacking?

• Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    I got Forbidden Island and we played it a grand total of once. Me and a friend essentially choreographed everybody else's moves the entire game while they sat there apathetically. Is Forbidden Desert any less prone to quarterbacking?

Not really, no. Well, I guess since the next move for a given player is less obvious in this game as there are more choices to make, the apathetic players will be more likely to suggest a move instead of simply agreeing with you as you suggest the only logical course of action.

I find that Atlantis Rising, Dungeon Fighter and Ghost Stories are co-op games that feature a little less quarterbacking.

Then again, the problem isn't with the games so much as the players. Are you being a jerk who wants everyone to do the perfect move you envisionned, or is it that they were apathetic and you just had to step in because they didn't want to decide what to do on their own?

• Options
    RufusRufus Registered User new member
    We'll

• Options
    exup35exup35 Registered User regular
    well I'm a pisces, so I will pee in it and ... um yeah probably better let another group member do it. . . (any virgo's around har har har)

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    I'm a Sagittarius, so I possess an attribute that's horse-like.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Djiem wrote: »
    Then again, the problem isn't with the games so much as the players. Are you being a jerk who wants everyone to do the perfect move you envisionned, or is it that they were apathetic and you just had to step in because they didn't want to decide what to do on their own?

Well, I'd like to think it was more the latter. As I recall we had the maximum of 4 players plus 2-3 more people sitting at the table who were theoretically interested in the game and going to make suggestions. But in practice me and my one friend who are, well, more strategically minded (usually the ones who invest the deepest thought in devising a strategy for any game we play) were the only ones who displayed any interest in thinking ahead and figuring out who needed to do what and go where to achieve the goal, while everyone else sat there looking sort of bored and having conversations about other random stuff while we did all the work until it was their turn to follow directions.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Well, I'm a Gemini, which means... I have a twin? I'm worth twice as much, human-wise?

I'm lost.

Also, Forbidden Desert is much better than Forbidden Island, in my opinion. Everyone should play it!

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I'm Scorpio so I'll sting you in your goddamn face. See if water helps you then, huh?

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Cancer. Which means as a Crab the water is my domain. And if you move even one finger towards my water it's getting snipped off.

• Options
    Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    I'm a Sagittarius, so I possess an attribute that's horse-like.

No, no, no. You're the cavalry and archer merged into one being. You're the ancients' idea of the ultimate weapon of warfare.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5fHzYtuHBA

The one co-op game truly immune to quaterbacking.

Because no one knows what's happening, at any point, ever.

• Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Have you played Space Cadets? How does it compare to Space Alert?

EDIT: I just thought, Escape The Curse of the Temple is also pretty immune to quarterbacking because you're frantically throwing dice to save your life.

Djiem on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Have you played Space Cadets? How does it compare to Space Alert?

EDIT: I just thought, Escape The Curse of the Temple is also pretty immune to quarterbacking because you're frantically throwing dice to save your life.
    Space Cadets has little to do with Space Alert other than theme (misfit crew attempting not to die in a spaceship). They scratch different itches, I think. Space Cadets feels more like Mario Party or Warioware, in that everything is a separate mini-game. Space Alert isn't immune to quarterbacking per se, but it's on a time limit and there are too many options to juggle at the same time. The time limit is the real kicker, as by the time you are done figuring out what to do during your turn, you may have just enough time to "assist" one other person, if that. The soundtrack timer itself prevents too much quarterbacking, as it doles out the events in a constant basis over the length of play (in other words, you can't plan too far ahead). I can see one person quarterbacking the whole thing, but they'd have to be a masterful leader who has the full confidence of their team AND know exactly how to tackle each aspect of the randomized scenarios AND be able to communicate it effectively under time pressure.

Oddly enough, the team competitive Space Cadets: Dice Duel (a different game entirely, but made by the Space Cadets peeps) is more like Escape: the Curse of the Temple.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    The Dickerdoodle weiner somehow missed the opportunity to go with "Ebeweiner Splooge" instead of Scrooge.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I played this on the weekend.

We won!

• Options
    SecretagentmanSecretagentman Registered User regular
    The second panel is great because you can read the speech bubbles in literally any order and the dialogue still makes sense. Or maybe that makes it very, very bad dialogue?

PSN: matter_ic
    Professional forum lurker
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Reminds me of this one:

i-Rrh8FjH-950x10000.jpg

Although in that case Gabe is somewhat less to blame because the bass-ackwards mechanics of Brink meant that Medics really were the best combat class.

Yes, Escape is as quarterback-proof as any co-op game I've played and a good laugh, though personally I think it's the sort of game you burn out on quickly and need to let sit for a while before getting it out again. And the curse dice as implemented in the official rules seem like a very broken and un-fun mechanic, my group always house rules them to make them less harsh.

Gaslight on