As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dieu et mon Dongs (Now just Paradox discussion)

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    aqbp.jpg

If you notice, I have a regular marriage to my husband (who was of the same dynasty) in this screenshot. Don't do that. It means that the kids from your marriage will belong to their father's court if you're both landed and this caused all kinds of horrible problems for me.

• Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Sons of Abraham in 2 days!

also apparently EUIV is adding the option to randomize the Americas so you don't know exactly where everything is

Dongs Galore on
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Oh yeah that count of Nantes game isn't mine, I don't have anywhere near that level of patience.

The gist of it is that you swear fealty to a Turk, use that to culture shift, start an independence faction and get out for free because of your troops you start the game off with. Then you subjugate your way through every pagan kingdom by giving away your capitol until you end up in a new kingdom, and get your intrigue up to >100 by landing bishops, then plotting to take away their land, which gives 1 for every new victim. Then you can plot-revoke basically everything, and since you're Turkish you can invade entire kingdoms once you run out of people to subjugate. Apparently the ability to move troops via river is what really makes it so quick.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    Huh, didn't know it was possible to change your capital more than once per ruler by giving away the province.

• Options
    Huh, didn't know it was possible to change your capital more than once per ruler by giving away the province.

the downside is that you have to give away the province

which will mean more with the SoA patch, as it rebalances levies so that any vassal with a negative opinion of you will just not give you troops at all, just like church vassals (this is meant to be balanced by a substantial positive opinion modifier when the realm is in a defensive war)

• Options
    Positive opinion modifier in a defensive war? I would definitely look forward to not being backstabbed anymore by my vassals while being attacked by another faction.

• Options
    Positive opinion modifier in a defensive war? I would definitely look forward to not being backstabbed anymore by my vassals while being attacked by another faction.

on the other hand, it means launching offensive wars will be more difficult

• Options
    I think what I'm gonna do once the expansion comes out is play a Jewish khan of Khazaria. The Khazars are currently Tengriists in the game, even though their khan and his ancestors have Jewish names.

• Options
    EmporiumEmporium Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    So now that this is a general Paradox thread, I finally got the hang of EUIV after a few experimental starts. I imported the Roman Empire I built in CK2 (and linked in here two pages ago). With that setup, it was less of a game, more of a "how much of the map can I make red in 377 years" exercise

The answer to that is, most of it

Emporium on
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    i still haven't got the hang of eu4

is there like a decent explanatory lets play i can read through? there were some good ones for crusader kings

also when abraham drops i'm going to do an actual catholic game, instead of the pagan and muslim ones i've mostly been running

• Options
    EmporiumEmporium Registered User regular
    I read this AAR, which probably isn't very helpful now, as it was highly exploitative of poorly designed mechanics that have probably been patched out by now: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?709144-The-Three-Mountains-A-Ryukyu-AAR

But mostly it was a lot of reading tooltips and the EUIV wiki for me - I feel EUIV is way better at explaining its mechanics than CK2 is

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular

the downside is that you have to give away the province

which will mean more with the SoA patch, as it rebalances levies so that any vassal with a negative opinion of you will just not give you troops at all, just like church vassals (this is meant to be balanced by a substantial positive opinion modifier when the realm is in a defensive war)

oh man that change is great.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    wow playing as jews at the old god start date is rough

can raise 4k 5k I think? but your neighbors are all pagans who hate you so enjoy getting attacked by armies of 10k, 6k, and 4k all at the same time

gonna try bribing them this time I dunno I have no idea what else I can even do

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    great now I'm getting attacked by lots of pagans who love me and have more money and now I can't even raise mercs because I gave all my money away trying to buy their love

• Options
    Fabricate a claim as far away as you can as fast as you can and hope for the best.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    irish jews, here we come

• Options
    End wrote: »
    irish jews, here we come

irish jew in the name of the law

• Options
    So, are there any other Jewish lords in the game except the Khazar ones? I know you can create one wherever you please with the ruler designer, but I'm curious.

• Options
    edited November 2013
    some quick grep work indicates there are probably some in spain (they're described as sephardi) around 1020-1080

it's not really clear to me exactly where without opening up the game

End on
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    well, I can't find them in the character select, but the install on this machine is apparently messed up and thinks I don't own any dlc so I can't go in and check

Edit: welp, they're in the history file, but none of their ids show in the titles file

End on
  • Options
    That's pretty strange. I couldn't find them ingame and also no other Jewish lords or even characters outside of Khazaria.

I loaded up my Zoroastrian savegame and it seems like my realm levy got chopped down from 280k to just 100k. It looks like part of the reason might be that I have multiple vassal kings who aren't good terms with their own vassals and have therefore stopped receiving levy units from them. I'm curious whether the size of the Mongol armies was reduced in any way or if it's still going to be the same.

• Options
    I hope all these changes don't mean that you shouldn't create vassal kings anymore since the AI doesn't play the relation game very well. I created nine vassal kingdoms in total over the course of my game and that reduced the complexity of my campaign to a level where it was enjoyable again.

• Options
    I wonder if there's any way to provoke someone into declaring war on you

this ruler was hovering around 30% independence before the patch is now at 90%. Granted, he's a pretty shitty ruler

• Options
    edited November 2013
    Well, the opinion of a foreign ruler seems to have some kind of influence on how likely they are to attack you. I had my chancellor sitting in Constantinople and the Byzantine Emperor didn't attack me once over the course of two hundred years although he could have gone to war with me anytime. I guess if you ruin their opinion of you (for example by making and breaking betrothals), they might be more likely to attack.

Maybe you can also appoint a really shitty chancellor and send him to sow dissent. Or assassinate one of your foreign ruler's close relatives, like maybe his mother or a sibling.

Platy on
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    brb getting into a never ending war with the byzantines

it sounds like what's making things so difficult for me is non-de jure levy reduction. I'd be lucky if a quarter of the empire's vassal kingdoms by power are de jure members at this point.

I was a bit puzzled about "vassals with negative opinion don't provide levies" meant, since crown authority requires vassals to require levies at a certain minimum percentage, and in my game vassals that hate me still do. It turns out what actually happened is that the percentage of levies changed from being on a -25 to 100 scale to a 0 to 100 scale (before being modified by levy/crown laws). That hurts me too, but not as much as the other change.

End on
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    They've expanded the events for female characters and I was pregnant with my liege's bastard when damn Norsemen came and took my county from me, ending the game. It would have been interesting to see whether I would have been able to place my bastard child on his or her father's throne.

Platy on
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    So I got CKII while it was on sale, and I started out in Ireland. Couple of things, 1.) Screw the Norse., 2.) Why do characters faction against me even when they love me and especially when they don't seem to have anything to gain by it? (And by love me I mean like literal capped relations.)

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    They always want more.

"Oh, you granted me a county? I want to be a duke."

"Thank you very much for the duchy, I'd like a kingdom now please."

"Ooh, I do love this crown. Do you have an empire you're not using very much?."

• Options
    I would suggest starting in 1066 since you won't have to deal with so many event troops that way. And the political landscape is a lot more stable. For me, wacky things tend to happen in the 867 start, like a Muslim Europe (which can also be fun, but the 1066 start is probably better if you're new to the game).

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    One day I dream of Total War battles and Crusader Kings campaign detail.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    I would suggest starting in 1066 since you won't have to deal with so many event troops that way. And the political landscape is a lot more stable. For me, wacky things tend to happen in the 867 start, like a Muslim Europe (which can also be fun, but the 1066 start is probably better if you're new to the game).

The 867 start also basically guarantees that you won't ever see the Holy Roman Empire form, except (maybe) if you do it yourself. That, and the Karlings will almost certainly remain in power for centuries in France, Germany and Italy because of their familial alliances. The political situation in Western Europe can get kind of boring if you can't depose the King of East Francia without automatically getting declarations of war from Italy, West Francia and Lotharingia on top of whoever else he's allied with. You're also very unlikely to see England form, because the various Saxon and Norse petty kings never ever stop fighting.

Also Christianity usually doesn't get nearly as far as it should historically because Tengrism has a very high chance of Reforming due to the proximity of their holy sites (to the point that it sometimes happens even in 1066 starts). The Norse and Suomensko faiths also tend to stay in place if you don't convert them yourself.

It's a fun change of pace, though, if you've played through the campaign a few times already. The Alexiad (1081) start is also a good choice for that, although it's a much more modest difference (primarily in that the Byzantines are much less likely to kick out the Seljuks).

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    My Irish version of "Joan of Arc" had freaking 55 Martial ability. Good grief.

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    So in two games I've played now, the new world separatists, when they gain their freedom, have entered the world at rock-bottom tech levels. The USA just rebelled from Spain in 1757 and have military tech 5.

I'm going to tag-switch and cheat to give them a fighting chance, but I wonder what's happening to cause this in the first place

• Options
    i saw the holy roman empire form in the one 867 game i played

except it was germany and france instead of germany and italy

also tengrism reforms all the fucking time, my burgundy game at the moment saw the khan conquer hungary and form the empire of carpathia

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Got a bunch of DLC for CKII

and holy shit it makes the game much more challenging

but I finally managed to start in Turov and rip Kiev from its Nordic despoiler

now it's just a kick stab into the Mageyr's to grab a holy site, while staving off revolution

probably doesn't help that my character is Basque, but I gotta have that equal inheritance for men and women

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    just convert to Catharism, they get absolute cognatic too

or download the gender equality mod I guess

Dongs Galore on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    just convert to Catharism, they get absolute cognatic too

or download the gender equality mod I guess

and allow female councilors and commanders

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Catharism does that, I assume the mod does too

• Options
    simonwolf wrote: »
    So in two games I've played now, the new world separatists, when they gain their freedom, have entered the world at rock-bottom tech levels. The USA just rebelled from Spain in 1757 and have military tech 5.

I'm going to tag-switch and cheat to give them a fighting chance, but I wonder what's happening to cause this in the first place

I'm guessing that they came (at least in part) from one of the native nations and therefore inherited their tech levels.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    I think it's a bug where released nations don't always get the proper tech level. You see it sometimes in Europe, where a minor nation that hasn't ever existed before gets released and gets a tech level of 3 around the board in the year 1600.