As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[nfl] Gameday talk, Fantasy Football chats, and Photoshop masterpieces.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Something I'm working on:

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 {\fonttbl\f0\fnil\fcharset0 ArialMT;} {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red255\green255\blue255;\red38\green46\blue59;} \deftab720 \pard\pardeftab720\sl360\partightenfactor0  \f0\fs24 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0 \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec24mcWjSX.jpg}

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    i'm just finishing up this painting for sunday

Tom-Brady-Can-of-Whup-Ass.jpg

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    The Saints are pretty much the most desirable possible matchup for the seahawks this round. Like anything can happen for sure, but I think you'd have to be nutty to put money down on the saints winning.

I almost kind of wish the 49ers would win too, just because a seahawks vs 49ers NFC Championship game would be pretty amazing

What a slugfest that would be

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    The Saints are pretty much the most desirable possible matchup for the seahawks this round. Like anything can happen for sure, but I think you'd have to be nutty to put money down on the saints winning.

I almost kind of wish the 49ers would win too, just because a seahawks vs 49ers NFC Championship game would be pretty amazing

What a slugfest that would be

Aye, the Saints (sadly, for me) simply do not match up well with the Hawks. If they could've avoided playing them (another team were to be matched up and managed to beat them at home... haha), the Saints would absolutely be in the drivers seat for the Super Bowl.

But I don't see it. I think it'll be a closer game, but I just can't see New Orleans pull this one out.

• Options
    That's the worst likeness of Andrew Luck I've ever seen.

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    If there was ever a game where everyone would be okay with the Pats running up the score, I think it would be against Luck and the Colts. "Up 28? Not enough of a lead to be sure!"

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    The Seahawks are a great team, but anything can happen. All it takes is a couple of bad plays and Drew Brees can dump 14 points on the scoreboard in a hurry. Plus, if the refs decide to actually start calling the Seattle secondary on all of their holds and PIs, then the dynamic of the game changes considerably. :p

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    You all get to read this in my language/time zone. Enjoy.

Wildcard Weekend!
    Saturday 4th, 2:35pm on NBC, the red team versus the blue team. The Chiefs are freaking crazy, but the Colts are at home and their quarterback's name is Luck. Alex Smith won't lose this game, but he sure won't win it. Indianapolis Colts by a dozen, 26-14!

Saturday 4th, 6:10pm on NBC, Drew Brees vs. Nick Foles. I feel like this is probably going to be the most exciting game offensively of the entire playoffs (barring a Broncos/Eagles SB, but I'm doubting this outcome). I'm supposed to love the Saints based on family reasons, but they won't keep up with the Eagles. Something like 35-28 Philadelphia Eagles.

Sunday 5th, 11:05am on CBS, Bolts at Bungles. I can't stand the Chargers, and I don't trust the Bengals. San Diego Chargers squeak by, 23-20, possibly in overtime!

Sunday 5th, 2:40pm on FOX, Miners versus Packers. I'm looking forward to this game too, I really enjoy watching Kaep, and even though I'm a Vikings fan through and through, I do enjoy the Packers style lately, and it doesn't seem to even matter which quarterback they use! I'm going home team 3 out of 4 games this week, so Green Bay Packers win another close one 30-27.
    Divisional Playoffs (based on predictions above, I will redo this section next week because obviously I can't possibly get all these correct)!
    Saturday 11th, 2:35pm on FOX, the Pack visits Seattle. Of all the NFC teams, I think the Packers and the Saints have the best chance to beat a home team in Seattle. However, the Hawks have the only defense that I think have a chance to stop the Packers with Rodgers playing. It's a tough choice! Argh! Okay, Seattle Seahawks have to come back in the 4th quarter, 38-37.

Saturday 11th, 6:15pm on CBS, the blue team at Nebraska (that's for all the customer service agents who think NE means New England in the STATE field of my customer profile). If this was in Indy, I'd probably have to think a little longer about this, but in Foxboro in January against a dome team. Sorry, New England Patriots are still the class of the AFC, 33-23.

Sunday 12th, 11:05am on FOX, Green Birds vs Teal Cats. If Cam Newton played defense, I think the Panthers would stand a chance against these Eagles. Every time I've watched the Eagles this year, I've been fully impressed, even in losses, so I'm not betting against them yet. Philadelphia Eagles 41-24.

Sunday 12th, 2:40pm on CBS, Superchargers at Donkeys. If it was ANY other team in the AFC, I'd be saying that Manning would be doing that thing where his hands are too cold to throw accurately enough and I'd find a way to convince myself that the Broncos would lose. But, it is the Chargers, and they are going to just be one step behind the whole game, and that's just a enough for Manning's inaccuracy to not matter quite as much. Denver Broncos can't score as fast, but it's the Chargers, so 27-23.
    Conference Championships (see above disclaimer)!
    Sunday 19th, 1:00pm on CBS, Pats at Broncs. This will once again be billed as Peyton versus Brady. But they don't play against each other! The Broncos offense is more better than the the Patriots defense than the Patriots offense is against the Broncos Defense. I lean Denver. But the weather! Brady is really effing good in crap weather. But home field goes to Broncos! It's so hard! I'm going Denver Broncos in an awesome game 47-45. I really hope the game is snowing and still high scoring, I just love that crap!

Sunday 19th, 4:30pm on FOX, green birds versus greyish blue birds. Oh good, Chip Kelly against Pete Carroll! Super exciting, if you ask me! Can Kelly get the Eagles to function in this environment? Can Carroll get his team over the hump against a team that works their defense so hard? YES! Seattle Seahawks finds a way as they seem to 23-20.
    Pro Bowl
    They are doing some weird draft type game. I wonder who will get picked last?
    Super Bowl (superb owl, obvs)!
    Sunday, February 2nd, 4:30pm on FOX. Seattle Seahawks versus Denver Broncos, in New York's Metlife Stadium! I mentioned earlier that an Eagles/Broncos matchup would be exciting, but this matchup is even MORE exciting to me. Manning in the cold against the Hawks, but on a neutral field! If this does come to pass, there is going to be so much talent running around like crazy on the field that I might actually be more interested in the game rather than the commercials this year! I predict the Broncos will start slow and be behind by two scores at halftime. Manning realizes his hand warmers weren't properly activated and they come out in the second half and make a game of it. Final score: 37-27. Denver Broncos with Peyton Manning being the MVP, whether he deserves it or not.

e: added spoiler tags.

Went 2-2 for wildcard weekend. Pretty much all wrong with scores. Not bad overall I'd say.

But a new week comes new predictions!

Divisional round:
    Saturday, January 11 2:35 pm on FOX, Who-dat goes to the hawks. I was actually pleasantly surprised by the Saints' abilities on defense against the mighty eagles offense last week. But, Seattle is a whole different world and I can't imagine the Seattle Seahawks going out right away. 27-23.

Saturday, January 11 6:15 pm on CBS, Lucksters visit Foxboro. I'm looking forward to this one, and I'm not even close to being a fan if either team. Forecast looks like rain. I love weather games! The Colts were clearly impressive in that second half last week. But can they stay in rhythm against the Pats? I say yes, with my first deviation from the original plan! Go Indianapolis Colts 33-30.

Sunday, January 12 at 11:05 am on FOX we get the niners in Carolina. The Cam Newton show is back on tele! I'm not a fan of his but he sure seems to be putting together quite a season. And the rest of the team is joking in. But those Niners are pesky. They find a way even in the road again, San Francisco 49ers wins a defensive game 17-16.

Sunday, January 12 at 2:40 pm on CBS dem bolts charge into mile high. Denver has been waiting to exact revenge on somebody this week. Someone was coming into Denver that had previously given them trouble and it happens to be the chargers. I am suspect of the donkey's D still, but I don't think bit matters all that much here. Denver Broncos going away 45-27.

Conference Championships!
    Sunday 19, 1:00 pm on CBS will now have the blue team versus the Elwayites. This is another matchup the teevee people will salivate for. Peyton fighting his old team for a chance at the Super Bowl. The previous week and weather will obviously have an impact on the outcome here and I'm predicting a Denver Bronco victory, 37-20.

Sunday 19, 4:30 on FOX brings us San Fran at emerald city. I'm saying this a matchup of epic proportions. And Seahawks aren't losing at home. The 49ers would have to scheme something creative to win on both sides of the ball in Seattle and I just don't see that happening. Seattle Seahawks win a close one 23-21 because it's the playoffs!

I'm saying the pro bowl goes to the team that picks cordarelle Patterson.

Super Bowl!
    see above, broncos win over Seattle with manning MVP.

Edit: lol cell phone posting edits.

davidsdurions on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    The Seahawks are a great team, but anything can happen. All it takes is a couple of bad plays and Drew Brees can dump 14 points on the scoreboard in a hurry. Plus, if the refs decide to actually start calling the Seattle secondary on all of their holds and PIs, then the dynamic of the game changes considerably. :p

That's a joke right? Wasn't Seattle the most penalized team in the nfl?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

That's a joke right? Wasn't Seattle the most penalized team in the nfl?

Imagine how high that would be if they were called on all of them! B)

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Marshawn Lynch has given another hard-hitting interview

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    So, Olbermann is interviewing Kluwe. Pretty interesting.

Kluwe points out that the "booted for being a problem" argument is very legitimate (and points out that was probably the same thing that got Tebow in trouble as well.)

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Or it could have been the sucking.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    I thought part of his claim was he was told not to kick it as far because the coverage team sucked.

• Options
    knitdan wrote: »
    I thought part of his claim was he was told not to kick it as far because the coverage team sucked.

That's actually pretty normal, and why using pure distance numbers with punt kickers can be incredibly misleading. Kicking higher instead of farther to buy your guys more time to get to the returner is standard practice.

• Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    i'm just finishing up this painting for sunday

Tom-Brady-Can-of-Whup-Ass.jpg

Even if he does get it opened up, nobody will give him a high five.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular

Kluwe points out that the "booted for being a problem" argument is very legitimate (and points out that was probably the same thing that got Tebow in trouble as well.)

Wait what? I have never once heard anything about Tebow getting in trouble other than that he just wasn't a very good quarterback. People loved this shit out of his religious routine.

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    The problem with Tebow, who would be a decent backup qb, is that:
    -he refuses to be a backup
    -teams don't want to spend the season hearing Tebow's crazed fanbase cry to start him.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    -he refuses to be a backup anywhere
    -teams don't want to spend the season hearing Tebow's crazed fanbase cry to start him.

He had an offer or two from the CFL and felt it was beneath him. And don't forget there were suggestions he switch positions and he refused that, too.

So now he gets the be the best former Heisman winning failed quaterback analysing for the SEC network. Aim high, Willis!

• Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    shadowane wrote: »

Wait what? I have never once heard anything about Tebow getting in trouble other than that he just wasn't a very good quarterback. People loved this shit out of his religious routine.

According to SNL, Jesus didnt.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    You won't get a single one to confirm it, but there always seems to be "anonymous" chatter that most coaches and GMs did not want to deal with the media circus that followed Tebow. Maybe if he had been a Manning or Brady type of starting talent, they could have tolerated it.

Of course, this could also just be a narrative that ESPN generated because they basically made money off of debating Tebow's merits for years.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    Tebow is not a very good nfl qb, he just isn't, on top of that he is a media circus and a bit of a locker room cancer. Teams would be insane to pick him up to be their back up.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    Tebow is not a very good nfl qb, he just isn't, on top of that he is a media circus and a bit of a locker room cancer. Teams would be insane to pick him up to be their back up.

But certainly not a Drama Queen, no Sir. That title is only reserved for Quarterbacks like Cam and RG3. For non-specific reasons.

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    I can't recall specifically Tebow himself fanning the flames of his fan base other than being Tebow. But RG3 and Cam Newton are two guys who are kind of mouthy, like last years Cam for sure had some temper flare ups when they were losing, we saw a little bit of that in the shellacking NO gave them in the superdome. And RG3 has thrown a shit ton of people under the bus for the redskins this year when its been his own poor play that also hurt the team.

Its not just racism.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Eh, I remember when he was on the Jets, he would say things to the amount of 'yeah ill play if they let me play, i wanna play' instead of following the more routine procedure of putting your support behind the team and the QB at the moment.

Given, yeah it was Sanchez; none the less, any other QB says something like that and they would have been tagged as a Drama Queen and Locker Room Diva.

That coupled with the fact that he's too good to play any other position or play in the CFL. I think he gets a pass on the moniker because 'oh no he's just a good christian boy.'

Arch,
  • Options
    Ehh I dunno if that would label you a drama queen. Especially if in the light of Sanchez being terrible is it really drama queenish to say you'd play if they let you? I mean in theory all back ups want to actually play in the big game, even more so when the team is struggling and the reason they are struggling in part is the starting qb sucks.

The jets were also assholes in the timmy tebows was starting in denver and then they picked him up to sit on the bench in new york? That would bound to upset anyone.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Also, when Sanchez was sucking horribly they turned to the equally terrible 3rd string QB (Matt Simms?) instead of giving Tebow a shot when he was ostensibly brought in as the backup. Kind of a dick move there.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    They could have been holding Tebow there to improve his trade value. It they reminded everyone how much he really did suck, it would be a bit more difficult to get rid of him.

Like Kirk Cousins.

Arch,
  • Options
    The Jets being a dysfunctional, douchey organization is not mutually exclusive to Tebow not having any humility or perspective.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Brady gets labelled as a drama queen.

I don't see color, but I hear he's white.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    -he refuses to be a backup anywhere

He had an offer or two from the CFL and felt it was beneath him. And don't forget there were suggestions he switch positions and he refused that, too.

So now he gets the be the best former Heisman winning failed quaterback analysing for the SEC network. Aim high, Willis!

I didn't know this. What a dummy!

I always wondered why somebody didn't try and make Tebow a recieving TE.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Because he's probably be terrible at that too? I don't know why people think that a bad qb would suddenly make a good tight end. I mean if he's a catholic there is no way that end is tight anymore.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Because he's probably be terrible at that too? I don't know why people think that a bad qb would suddenly make a good tight end. I mean if he's a catholic there is no way that end is tight anymore.

Yeah, the whole "he could have played a different position" argument is gooseshit. Especially at the NFL level, every position is its own skillset that takes years to master. (Yes, even linemen - most formations have strong and weak sides, after all.)

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Because the belief is that an athletic player might possibly be able to fit in a different position. The problem is that retraining a player for a new position is rarely successful at the pro level. At least not without some general similarities between the position. If, and it's a very big if, Tebow could've been anything other than a QB, then the Broncos would've needed to be the ones to start the process.

They didn't.

It's too late now. Tebow's best bet at being a pro anything was to go to the CFL and pray to whatever god he believes in that they could have worked on his mechanics. Then come back to the NFL a la Doug Flutie with moderate success for a team that didn't necessarily need a top flight QB for their system to work.

I can't even begin to speculate why ESPN was all over his jock.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular

Because ratings.

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular

Yeah, the whole "he could have played a different position" argument is gooseshit. Especially at the NFL level, every position is its own skillset that takes years to master. (Yes, even linemen - most formations have strong and weak sides, after all.)

You are mostly correct, but there are exceptions. Jimmy Graham only played 1 year of college football before the pros, for instance.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    There are exceptions for dudes who started in one position and then excelled at another. I don't think Timmy Tebows would be one of those guys. He wasn't that athletic, and he's white, so you know he's got no jump.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Was?

http://deadspin.com/what-the-hell-was-this-five-minute-espn-infomercial-for-1494991314

Arch,
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular

You are mostly correct, but there are exceptions. Jimmy Graham only played 1 year of college football before the pros, for instance.

There are others- Antonio gates played zero college football, Jordan Cameron basically only played one year of college ball, Stephen Neal played zero football before being signed by the patriots. Plenty of guys have gone from QB to WR in the pros despite playing only qb in college (Antwan randel el, brad smith, Matt jones, Julian Edelman) or even QB to FB (Michael Robinson). It's generally the athletic guys, yeah, but tebow is HARDLY unathletic

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I'm not saying that Tebow would instantly be the next Gonzalez or Gronk. Dude's built like a TE, though. I think it would've been worth a shot to work with him to cultivate a TE skillset, and see where that went. I don't know who it was who was suggesting that he try a new position, but if it was a trainer/coach employed by the NFL it obviously isn't that much gooseshit.

Regardless, it's like Santa said. It's too late now, I think. Good on him if he wants to keep trying at the QB thing, but there aren't too many NFL teams that want a QB who doesnt know how to throw a football. I mean... he was released by the team with Mark Sanchez. If you can't beat out Sanchez... man, I don't even know...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.