As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hello S.T.A.L.K.E.R.! Thinking of placing an order?

• Options
    DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    Yup, I took what I recorded and implemented it without any EQ or compression. It sounds beautiful as-is, so I didn't touch it.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    If you've managed to capture a very high quality recording of thunder why on earth would you mess with it? Thunder is beautiful all by itself.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Ran into an invisible Cthulhu in some dark tunnels.

Was not a pleasant experience. On the upside, getting to see some decent weapons so my bandit murder ratio is steadily going up. These SMGs and sawn offs put a nice hole in things (when they actually connect).

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    Interesting how this thread pops up again when I picked up my CoP Complete game. The Zone still kicks my ass, and I love it for that.

• Options
    I went from facing a few bandits to Eldritch horrors and the entire Ukranian military.
    rtBjfsP.jpg

This shit has escalated.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Fuck stealthing that part like you're supposed to MOW EM ALL DOOOOWN.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    I went from facing a few bandits to Eldritch horrors and the entire Ukranian military.
    rtBjfsP.jpg

This shit has escalated.

Ahahaha I KNOW that staircase.

Fucking cement plant.

Freedom loves to continue spawning while you're there, makes for some great shootouts on top of the building / through the slats in the staircase.

Misery 2.02 is out, and it is awesome. Guns actually feel RIGHT, finally. Accuracy, hit models, AP vs. HP for different targets, recoil.

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    This shit has escalated.
    That entire game is a giant series of escalators leading to wonderful new floors of irradiated suffering.

Also, the escalators might kill you because Soviet engineering.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    The animals in this are smarter than most other post apocalyptic abominations I've met.

They attack, you whip out your giant machine gun and put twenty rounds in the first one that gets close and the rest seem to get the message.

EDIT: Nevermind, they circled back around and paid the iron price.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    I love how when someone gets to that certain spot for the first time this thread pops back up on the first page. Such a great moment.

• Options
    One thing I'm quite curious about is the rankings (which I really love the idea of, starting at the bottom, rising up the ladder, etc) on the statistics page.

Are those actual NPCs or does it have something to do with a multiplayer element?

• Options
    They are all NPCs out there doing their own thing.

• Options
    Then I can see why "Max Butt" is number one.

You would have to be tough to survive with a name like that.

• Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    Yeah, certain NPCs are the same every time - quest and faction guys mostly - but many are randomly generated dudes just running around getting their stalk on. Odds are you'll probably kill the #1 stalker without even realizing it.

I wish there was a way to get the AI to take the gloves off, like how it's legendarily capable of finishing the game by itself. It'd be confusing as hell, but kind of awesome to be mucking around in Yantar or something and the game just ends: "Sorry, someone else got there first, better luck next time!"

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    I'd love to see that as a mini-mod.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    The trader hired me to kill some salesman that was posing as an associate of him. Turns out right as I entered the area, some wild dogs started gnawing his face off and did my job for me. Got to love it when shit lines up perfectly like that.

On the downside, I killed a STALKER in the first village for a different job and turns out everyone there hates me now except the merchant. I slipped in at low crouch, killed the rookie in one hit with the knife and their telepathy went off like crazy.

Taking any and all jobs. That bandit jacket I'm wearing isn't just for show. When I walk into your irradiated town, chances are one of your neighbors is getting shot in the face for a nice payday.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Hey, question for those who've played Call of Pripyat -

Is there any way to get onto the crane gantry / those girders on the ceiling in the Eastern Tunnel, where you're tasked to go kill the Burers? I remember getting up there in another playthrough, but I can't seem to find a ladder or any kind of access to them. Are they just for show?

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    rtBjfsP.jpg

This shit has escalated.
    Welcome to the Zone! Hope you're enjoying your stay, because it only gets worse from here! Shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never make a deal with Sidorovich you can't keep, because he gets very crabby when that happens.

• Options
    Yeah, Sidorovich has slowly been turning into a pretty scary dude.

"Theres a rookie thats settled here. I don't like the way his face looks, slice him open."

Artifacts seem to be an interesting balancing game. Wasn't able to equip three bulletproofing ones until I found one that could cover the radiation from the others.

• Options

"Theres a rookie thats settled here. I don't like the way his face looks, slice him open."

Artifacts seem to be an interesting balancing game. Wasn't able to equip three bulletproofing ones until I found one that could cover the radiation from the others.

If you already figured this out, forgive me, but I didn't realize it for a bit -

You actually want to be under-radiation, not just neutral-radiation, so that you can deal with ambient environmental radiation from the zone. i.e. if you're running two Jellyfish for +4, you want to be -5 from other artifacts. Just the -1 is enough.

• Options
    edited January 2014

If you already figured this out, forgive me, but I didn't realize it for a bit -

You actually want to be under-radiation, not just neutral-radiation, so that you can deal with ambient environmental radiation from the zone. i.e. if you're running two Jellyfish for +4, you want to be -5 from other artifacts. Just the -1 is enough.
    Don't worry, the one I got is -20 radiation. The three bulletproofing artifacts I have are only +5 rad each.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Which stalker was it that you could damage reduction artifacts in such a way that damage healed you and your weapons?

• Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Which stalker was it that you could damage reduction artifacts in such a way that damage healed you and your weapons?
    SoC. Pretty sure you could only do it with environmental damage, though. You could set it up so that you could take anomaly baths and come out feeling refreshed. Also, it was the only way to repair weapons in the vanilla game.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    My favorite thing to do at the moment has been the stashes, love a good scavenger hunt.

Should I stop taking quests from Sidorivch once I reach the bar?

I know most of them repeat but I kind of want to do every quest in the game atleast once. Jogging back and forth to his shop at the bottom of the map is starting to get annoying though.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    rtBjfsP.jpg

This shit has escalated.

Fucking cement plant.

Freedom loves to continue spawning while you're there, makes for some great shootouts on top of the building / through the slats in the staircase.

Misery 2.02 is out, and it is awesome. Guns actually feel RIGHT, finally. Accuracy, hit models, AP vs. HP for different targets, recoil.

Wait, did they un-fuck their damage models so bad guys don't take infinite bullets to the face?

Because god damn was 2.0 really bad.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    rtBjfsP.jpg

This shit has escalated.

Fucking cement plant.

Wait, did they un-fuck their damage models so bad guys don't take infinite bullets to the face?

Because god damn was 2.0 really bad.

I haven't played since 1.whatever, it's been awhile, so I'm not sure how much of the following applied to the 2.0 build.

No more than two rounds of 5.45 AP to the face has killed everything I've met so far. The second bullet was on guys wearing exoskeletons. The model they're running now is accurate to real-life NIJ ballistics testing - A Sunrise Suit for instance, has (IIRC)

Head: none
    Neck: none
    Torso: IIIA
    Arms: II
    Hands: II
    Legs: II
    Feet: IIIA

Which means that the torso is good for protection against 9mm and buckshot rounds, and is limited defense against rifle rounds. All of the in-game ammo lists what armor it can defeat, and what level of tissue damage it provides. FMJ ammo is balanced, AP ammo usually penetrates 1 or 2 levels higher, HP ammo does higher tissue damage but might lose a level of armor penetration effectiveness. 5.45x39 AP penetrates up to and including Level IV, for instance. Level IV bodyarmor generally corresponds to Kevlar-based body armor with additional Kevlar inserts or a SAPI plate. 7.62 NATO AP I believe is level V capable, along with 7.62x54r and 9x39 AP.

All in all, it feels good. Guns are accurate, recoil is punishing outside of close-range hip fire, and if you hit a NPC for significant damage (prettymuch any rifle shot to the torso) they suffer the same "swaying" animation which you do and are unable to fight back.

SummaryJudgment on
  • Options
    BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    I'm trying the latest version of Misery out, having not played it previously.

I started the game out, surveyed what was around me, saw packs of wild dogs in most directions, tried to go around them and (I dont know if this was random or always happens) came accross a fucking Psuedogiant curb stomping a group of loners. I unloaded 8 shots of 7.62x54r into it and proceeded to loot all the loners. 5 minutes into the game and I already have 3 assault rifles, fuck yeah!

Then a fucking emission happens and literally the only shelter within distance is the caves under the burnt farmstead. I take 1 step into it and am killed by the controller. FML.

What I like about it is in fact the difficulty and lack of resources (STALKER games always become so boring and easy since every fucking AI has an arsenal I can loot). But was it really necessary to have so many goddamn different cleaning and repair items? Jesus.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Basticle wrote: »
    I'm trying the latest version of Misery out, having not played it previously.

I started the game out, surveyed what was around me, saw packs of wild dogs in most directions, tried to go around them and (I dont know if this was random or always happens) came accross a fucking Psuedogiant curb stomping a group of loners. I unloaded 8 shots of 7.62x54r into it and proceeded to loot all the loners. 5 minutes into the game and I already have 3 assault rifles, fuck yeah!

Then a fucking emission happens and literally the only shelter within distance is the caves under the burnt farmstead. I take 1 step into it and am killed by the controller. FML.

What I like about it is in fact the difficulty and lack of resources (STALKER games always become so boring and easy since every fucking AI has an arsenal I can loot). But was it really necessary to have so many goddamn different cleaning and repair items? Jesus.

Yeah, the repair items are a mess. I do like having all of them, since they all have different minimum repair amounts / added repair / supplementary repair, and flavor is nice. Still, they really need an inventory rehaul for them. I'd love to have the ability to manually sort a proper grid inventory, instead of the fucking thing reverting (?!) every time you close it! If that's not possible, I'd rather a hardcoded split in the inventory that has all crafting-related items in a separate portion of the inventory.

The devs are also kind of weird, and do dumb stuff during updating. A recent patch bothered to change the flavor text on a vendor trash item of a "photograph of a girl" from brunette to blond. Meanwhile, shit inventory system and the mod runs like a dog. Priorities, yo.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    My favorite thing to do at the moment has been the stashes, love a good scavenger hunt.

Should I stop taking quests from Sidorivch once I reach the bar?

I know most of them repeat but I kind of want to do every quest in the game atleast once. Jogging back and forth to his shop at the bottom of the map is starting to get annoying though.

Stashes are a surprisingly kickass thing in the STALKER games, but I definitely feel like only the third game gets them right. The games before CoP have the stashes empty until you get the info for them, but you can totally find "wild" stashes in CoP without having the info for them. You can put in mods in the other games so that the stashes are pre-filled, but it's nice that CoP has them filled right out of the gate.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    I'm playing vanilla right now and ever since I found this upgraded assault rifle in Strelok's stash, I feel like Rambo. I just demolished the military base from earlier and that one near the starting village.

Not that gun fights aren't tense, I'm still pretty squishy.

I don't know why I'm trying to kill the guy, I should give him a medal. This gun saves my life on a regular basis.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    I'm trying to play Old Good STALKER Evolution for SoC (steam). Launching SoC from Steam dosent do anything so I figure I have to use the OGSE Configurator and hit Launch Game from there but then I get this

zf8CX0Q.gif

Anyone got any ideas?

:/ my game worked before I installed the mod. I uninstalled the mod and now the game is still broken :(

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Reading up on the current state of the series is a bummer now that I'm really getting into SOC (looking forward to Clear Sky and call of Pipyrat).

Hard to believe it ever got to a point where they would end up cancelling STALKER 2. Series always seemed quite respected every time I saw it brought up somewhere.

• Options
    I'm playing vanilla right now and ever since I found this upgraded assault rifle in Strelok's stash, I feel like Rambo. I just demolished the military base from earlier and that one near the starting village.

I don't know why I'm trying to kill the guy, I should give him a medal. This gun saves my life on a regular basis.

Dude, if you've ever been considering doing a Let's Play, you should totally do one when you do CoP. I chuckled.

• Options
    Reading up on the current state of the series is a bummer now that I'm really getting into SOC (looking forward to Clear Sky and call of Pipyrat).

Hard to believe it ever got to a point where they would end up cancelling STALKER 2. Series always seemed quite respected every time I saw it brought up somewhere.
    Well, the devs are working on the spiritual successor, Survivarium, which implements an MMO style so you'll REALLY need to watch yourself around other people. I'm hoping that doesn't get sent into development Limbo.

Also, the supposed new changes to MISERY have made me start a new CoP game with that after I got totaled my first time playing 2.0. What's a good way to start out and earn/find some new weapons and armor in the beginning, because I can't do jack without better protection.

• Options
    testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular

Well, the devs are working on the spiritual successor, Survivarium, which implements an MMO style so you'll REALLY need to watch yourself around other people. I'm hoping that doesn't get sent into development Limbo.

Also, the supposed new changes to MISERY have made me start a new CoP game with that after I got totaled my first time playing 2.0. What's a good way to start out and earn/find some new weapons and armor in the beginning, because I can't do jack without better protection.

The best way to get kitted out during the early game is to either find a fire fight, wait 'til it's over (without participating) and then loot the corpses for gear, OR to find a bunch of zombies, take them out, and steal their stuff. Zombies suck at shooting, so they're ideal noob-bait. I think there was a building in the south-west of the starting area that usually has a bunch of zombies wandering around it. An old warehouse or filling station or something. There's also usually a handful at the abandoned farmhouse on the hill North West of the dry ship.
    Unless you're desperate, don't bother grabbing anything with less than half it's durability remaining, as gear in that condition won't sell and won't be effective in combat.

camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    All three games are on sale at Gamersgate.

Collection: 13.60

Shadow of Chernobyl: 6.78

Clear Sky 3.38

Call of pippy the rat: 4.40

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options

The best way to get kitted out during the early game is to either find a fire fight, wait 'til it's over (without participating) and then loot the corpses for gear, OR to find a bunch of zombies, take them out, and steal their stuff. Zombies suck at shooting, so they're ideal noob-bait. I think there was a building in the south-west of the starting area that usually has a bunch of zombies wandering around it. An old warehouse or filling station or something. There's also usually a handful at the abandoned farmhouse on the hill North West of the dry ship.
    Unless you're desperate, don't bother grabbing anything with less than half it's durability remaining, as gear in that condition won't sell and won't be effective in combat.

In Misery 2.0 and forward, you can sell damaged weapons (i.e. less than 70%) to Beard for a lesser amount of money, i.e. 600-ish depending on condition. It's not a bad way to get kitted out.

If you're doing Black Road, there is a stash in the room you spawn in with a full condition Makarov and a knife, and you just make your way back and do the Beard/Sultan quests about the weapon traders, where you ally yourself with one side or the other. Regardless of you who pick, loot the corpses, done.

If you're not doing Black Road, do the same thing, except shoot your desired party with your Mosin or your Stg44 (...Seriously? The goddamn thing belongs in a museum, it's probably actually worth something, and you will never ever find ammo for it again) then loot as planned.

• Options
    Thanks for all the MISERY advice. I think I'm gonna try heading to the sawmill for the tools and some zombibidy lootz.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Thanks for all the MISERY advice. I think I'm gonna try heading to the sawmill for the tools and some zombibidy lootz.

Hahha, wait!

In MISERY - the tools are not where they were before, and also are in different locations depending on what class you picked (Assaulter, Sniper, Recon).

It's not a huge deal though, since you routinely find customized weapons from the NPC's who will be attacking you. Upgrading is also not nearly as necessary in MISERY, since the guns are actually accurate to the sights/scope crosshairs now without customization, and damage cannot be improved through modification. Once you find an AK, throw a scope on it (different levels of magnification exist, more is better, generally) and you're set for the game, more or less.

That said, you'll need to spend some money to repair the guns you loot, but once you repair them it's very very cheap to maintain them. The initial repair hurts though, since you'll need to buy specialized parts to make the initial repair, as opposed to buying/using gun oil.

Where there is a Universal Repair Kit, your best best is to talk to Beard and buy the appropriate repair kit for the caliber your weapon is chambered in. i.e., "Smallbore Rifle Repair Kit". Those are usable down to, IIRC, 25% or 35%, which should be sufficient. I don't believe I've ever found anything lower than 25%.

Note that submachine guns (i.e. the UMP or the MP5, both chambered in handgun calibers) also use "Handgun"-type repair kits which are a fair bit cheaper.

SummaryJudgment on
  • Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular

Well maybe you'll have that opportunity.

I'll give Misery another chance when I get back to my computer. The mod has some atrocious item bloat (good luck repairing stuff), but I can deal with that if they fixed shitty ballistics. Seriously, they were so bad. Mosin-nagant head shots simply made guys flinch. I don' care its the starter sniper rifle, it's a 7.something bullet and it hit the the bandit wearing a hoodie in the head. If I want meat shieldy enemies I'll play Fallout, and even then I mod it so enemies and myself die to realistic wounds.

Oh and making the STG44 a useable weapon is... ugh. Like the mosin works. But the 44? Really?