Options

Game of the Year 2013 Poll [*RESULTS*]

mccmcc glitchRegistered User, ClubPA regular
edited January 2014 in Games and Technology
Game of the Year 2013: Gone Home

CLICK HERE TO JUMP TO THE PRETTY COLOR-CODED FULL RESULTS

Every year since 2004 I've been hosting this Game of the Year poll for the users of some forums I read. There are a lot of GOTY polls out there, but this one I think is kind of special. Most polls, you're given a list of four or five options and you're asked to pick the one you liked best. This poll, people are given a list of a couple of hundred options, consisting of every new game released in the previous year-- and asked to rate their top ten or twenty.

This does a few interesting things. First off, we get to see all the information about what people's second, third etc choices are. Second off, because the second, third etc choices count, people are more likely to vote for the game they want to win, rather than the game they think is likely to win-- they're less likely to engage in "strategic voting". Finally, because we have all this information, we're actually able to provide somewhat reasonable rankings for something like the top hundred or so games of last year.

The full results-- showing the exact number of voters who ranked each game first, second, third place etc-- can be found here. In the meantime, the final results were:
  1. Gone Home (3426) *** GAME OF THE YEAR ***
  2. Bioshock Infinite (3373)
  3. Papers, Please (2506)
  4. Saints Row IV (2497)
  5. Tomb Raider 2013 (2490)
  6. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (2440)
  7. Pokémon X and Y (2423)
  8. The Last Of Us (2263)
  9. The Stanley Parable (2187)
  10. Fire Emblem: Awakening (2161)
  11. Animal Crossing: New Leaf (1924)
  12. Grand Theft Auto V (1721)
  13. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (1631)
  14. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (1554)
  15. Rogue Legacy (1547)
  16. Super Mario 3D World (1393)
  17. Antichamber (1334)
  18. Gunpoint (1302)
  19. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (1214)
  20. Kentucky Route Zero (1130)

The numbers in parentheses are the final scores each game got under the poll's ranking system. Thanks if you voted, and some more elaborate analysis of the results (plus an explanation of the scores) can be found below.

NOTEWORTHY WINNERS

GOTY 2013:
#1, Gone Home

Top-ranked PC Exclusive:
#1, Gone Home

Top-ranked 3DS Exclusive:
#6, The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

Top-ranked PS3 Exclusive:
#8, The Last Of Us

Top-ranked WiiU Exclusive:
#16, Super Mario 3D World

Top-ranked Browser Game:
#24, Depression Quest

Top-ranked Mobile Exclusive:
#46, 868-HACK
(OR)
#56, Ridiculous Fishing, if you disqualify 868-HACK because of its PC prototype, "86856527"

Top-ranked Vita exclusive:
#67, Tearaway

Top-ranked PS4 Exclusive:
#85, Resogun

Top-ranked 360 Exclusive:
#104, BattleBlock Theater

Top-ranked XB1 Exclusive:
#124, Killer Instinct

Top-ranked Ouya Exclusive:
#166, Towerfall

Top-ranked Wii Exclusive:
#189, Pandora's Tower

Top-ranked FPS:
#1, Gone Home

Top-ranked "Indie" Game:
#1, Gone Home

Top-ranked RPG:
#7, Pokémon X and Y

Top-ranked Sports Game:
#45, Divekick

"Cult" Award (see below):
#46, 868-HACK

NOTEWORTHY LOSERS

Best game of 2013 which somehow nobody considered to be their #1 pick: #30, Guacamelee!
Worst game of 2013 that at least one person considered their #1 pick: Three-way tie between three games tied for the #326 slot: "I Hate the Dark"; Wizardry Online; and "Heroine's Quest: The Herald of Ragnarok". Each of these games got only one vote, but each of these voters considered it their game of the year.
Worst game of 2013: Two-way tie between the games tied for #402: "Composition 62" and "Ultionus: A Tale of Petty Revenge". Both of these games scored only one vote each, each from someone who considered it their 20th best game of the year.

There were a whole 57 games on the nominations list that no one voted for at all.

ALTERNATE SCORING METHODS

The rankings listed above are based on a version of the Borda count voting method. Each vote cast for a game gives that game a certain number of points. If someone ranks a game #1, that game gets 20 points. If they rank it #2, the game gets 19 points. If they rank it #3 the game gets 18 points... and so on. I have a script that checks a couple of alternate ways of ranking the same data, though.

For example, if we rank games only by the number of first place votes they got, the winner remains the same but almost the entire rest of the list changes dramatically-- a lot more movement than usual this year, it seems like. I bolded entries that are different in the first-place-votes count:

First Past the Post
  1. Gone Home (52)
  2. The Last Of Us (51)
  3. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (38)
  4. Saints Row IV (35)
  5. Bioshock Infinite (33)
  6. Fire Emblem: Awakening (27)
  7. Papers, Please (23)
  8. Pokémon X and Y (23)
  9. Grand Theft Auto V (19)
  10. Dota 2 (19)
  11. The Stanley Parable (17)
  12. Animal Crossing: New Leaf (17)
  13. Kentucky Route Zero (16)
  14. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (15)
  15. Tomb Raider 2013 (14)
  16. StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm (12)
  17. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (11)
  18. 868-HACK (10)
  19. Super Mario 3D World (9)
  20. Hate Plus (9)
Most years when I look at the first-past-the-post list a "cult" game emerges that received very few overall votes, but where an overwhelming percentage of those votes were #1 votes (I think of this as the "Persona award"); this year the standout was 868-HACK, which managed to grab #18 in the first past the post rankings despite being all the way down at #46 in the overall rankings. Also of note here are Hate Plus, which jumped from #33 to a tie for #19; and DOTA 2, which jumped from #22 to #10; and The Last Of Us, which jumped from #8 to #2 (actually, if it had received one more #1 vote, it would have tied Gone Home for first place).

I also did two more ways of sorting the rankings: an "approval" vote, where nothing is counted except the number of votes a game received (i.e. a first-place and a twentieth-place ranking count the same-- all the matters is if the game was on someone's list); and an instant runoff vote. Usually these two track the main count very closely, but this year, something rare happens in IRV: The first and second place games switch place! If you are qualified to comment on the differences between instant runoff and Borda-based ranked voting, feel free to tell us what that means.

APPROVAL
  1. Bioshock Infinite (223)
  2. Gone Home (205)
  3. Papers, Please (176)
  4. Tomb Raider 2013 (162)
  5. Saints Row IV (157)
  6. Pokémon X and Y (155)
  7. The Stanley Parable (149)
  8. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (144)
  9. Fire Emblem: Awakening (140)
  10. The Last Of Us (136)
  11. Animal Crossing: New Leaf (125)
  12. Rogue Legacy (117)
  13. Grand Theft Auto V (113)
  14. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (108)
  15. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (107)
  16. Gunpoint (98)
  17. Antichamber (91)
  18. Super Mario 3D World (84)
  19. Don't Starve (83)
  20. Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon (82)

IRV
  1. Bioshock Infinite (223)
  2. Gone Home (205)
  3. Papers, Please (176)
  4. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (144)
  5. Saints Row IV (157)
  6. Pokémon X and Y (155)
  7. The Last Of Us (136)
  8. Tomb Raider 2013 (162)
  9. The Stanley Parable (149)
  10. Fire Emblem: Awakening (140)
  11. Animal Crossing: New Leaf (125)
  12. Grand Theft Auto V (113)
  13. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (108)
  14. Rogue Legacy (117)
  15. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (107)
  16. Gunpoint (98)
  17. Antichamber (91)
  18. Super Mario 3D World (84)
  19. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (77)
  20. Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon (82)

FINALLY: PER-FORUM BREAKDOWNS

Okay, so this is where things get… interesting.

PA is where this poll started, right? Every single year, PA has dominated the results. I traditionally link on a couple other small forums-- mostly PA breakaway forums anyway-- but PA provides the majority of the votes.

Except not this year. This year, for whatever reason, my efforts to promote the poll on Twitter took off like crazy; one of the tweets about it got 51 retweets. The result was a HUGE voter influx, to the point where PA was almost outnumbered-- in the end PA contributed about 300 votes, whereas Twitter contributed about 250.

My vote script tracks "where votes came from", and lets me run results isolated to votes from a particular source. The tracking isn't perfect, since it's based on HTTP referer and many voters loaded the site in such a way they didn't even even report that, but this should be able give us an idea how different internet communities voted. And it turns out Twitter and PA voted REALLY differently. Here's how Twitter voted.

And here's how Penny Arcade voted:
  1. Bioshock Infinite
  2. Tomb Raider 2013
  3. The Last Of Us
  4. Saints Row IV
  5. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
  6. Grand Theft Auto V
  7. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
  8. Fire Emblem: Awakening
  9. Pokémon X and Y
  10. Papers, Please
  11. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
  12. Rogue Legacy
  13. Gone Home
  14. The Stanley Parable
  15. Starcraft II: Heart of the Swarm
  16. Super Mario 3D World
  17. Gunpoint
  18. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
  19. Ni No Kuni
  20. Guacamelee!

(EDIT: Also: Alternate tabulation methods for the "PA voters only" list are here.)

This list is pretty darn different from the overall results! Looking at these two breakdowns, the most pronounced difference between the Twitter and PA voting blocs is how they treated the top two entries from the combined results: Twitter voted overwhelmingly for Gone Home whereas PA put it at #13, and Bioshock Infinite was voted #1 by PA but ranked down at #12 for twitter, one less than Zelda. One thing that may have hurt Bioshock here is that the PA bloc did not vote for it nearly as solidly as the Twitter bloc voted for Gone Home: In fact, the #1 recipient of first-place votes from PA, if you look, was "The Last of Us", beating out Bioshock 39 to 23.

Anyway, that's it. Thanks as always for voting!

mcc on

• Options
    jeffinvajeffinva Koogler coming this summerRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Gone Home, yee-uhh. Collectively some good tastes here.

Edit: nm that was the total consensus

jeffinva on
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Man that's crazy Gone Home Beat Bioshock. Great game (on my list it was no 4 and Bioshock was No 1), happy to see it get recognition.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    mccmcc glitch Registered User, ClubPA regular
    BTW, I think I'm going to just say this now, as a way of guilting myself into actually following through on it: This whole megapoll thing started in the summer of 2004 when I was looking for an excuse to learn PHP, and did a "Best Game Ever" poll in G&T. This year is the tenth anniversary of that. I am planning to commemorate this by doing a "Best Game Ever" poll again. And I think I'm going to try to (like I keep saying I want to do) explicitly pull in some other gaming communities like NeoGAF or Reddit this time-- ESPECIALLY after seeing how different the Twitter and PA vote results were this year, I'm interested in beefing up the source tracking and getting solid data on what different communities think is important. Anyway, expect to hear back from me around June when I start gathering the nominations list, because I'd like to get y'all's feedback on that.

That nomination list is gonna be… … … painful to make.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Black Flag at #13?

Shame.

It didn't even get above GTAV

Double shame.

I think this is the first year where I didn't even play the #1 choice.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    That whole twitter thing is interesting, and I can't help but wonder if it's simply a symptom of the voting process getting retweeted/posted amongst a community having to do with that type of game. Just looking at their top 10:

1. Gone Home (PC)
    2. Papers, Please (PC)
    3. The Stanley Parable (PC)
    4. Animal Crossing: New Leaf (3DS)
    5. Pokémon X and Y (3DS)
    6. Depression Quest (PC)
    7. Saints Row IV (360, PC, PS3)
    8. Kentucky Route Zero (PC)
    9. Antichamber (PC)
    10. Hate Plus (PC)

The standout on that list as being "out of place" is honestly.....Saint's Row, of all things.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    I didn't play Gone Home, but I am remarkably pleased to see how well these smaller games are doing in these polls (considering the Walking Deads win as well). Pretty solid top 10.

Edit: and to think, had my coin toss been the other way I would have put The Last of Us at number 1 and caused that tie. But I loved Tearaway too much not to give it my GoTY.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Oh, and it's got to be asked.
    There were a whole 57 games on the nominations list that no one voted for at all.

How many were from that one guy's list?

• Options
    Ya the twitter stuff is interesting but based on who you are and what you do I understand why people who follow you on twitter would vote very differently from the average PA user ( this is not a knock or critique in any way)

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    At least Tomb Raider got ranked higher than The Last of Us

Tomb Raider was my #2 so it's nice to see it get up pretty high

No DmC anywhere up there, but I pretty much expected that considering the rather cold reception it got around these parts

• Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    Prediction: top 10 list consists of 3 3DS titles, 1 PS3 exclusive, 2 PC exclusives and 4 multiplats.

End result: 3 multiplat, 3 PC exclusive, 3 3DS titles, 1 PS3 exclusive.

So close! At least Saints Row 4 is confirmed to be a better game than The Last of Us. I can die happy now.
    I kid.
    Not really. /opinions

I should go play Gone Home and Papers, Please.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    Papers, Please is real good but go play Gunpoint first!

Everybody go play Gunpoint.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Honestly, the thing that surprises me the most about most of these sorts of polls is how relatively low Brothers is tending to do in comparison to Gone Home, across the board. I found it to pull at my emotions and communicate the whole sibling relationship thing as well, if not better, while giving the player a greater sense of agency and involvement. So basically, I agree with Penny Arcade for putting Brothers higher :P

But really, if you haven't yet, go play Brothers.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    monster hunter got robbed

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    Ya the twitter stuff is interesting but based on who you are and what you do I understand why people who follow you on twitter would vote very differently from the average PA user ( this is not a knock or critique in any way)
    My twitter followers list— and one assumes most of the people a few hops out from me, though you'd THINK?! that 51-RT tweet got some penetration a ways beyond my circle— consists overwhelmingly of indies and gay people. Make of that what you will.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Man those twitter results are PC indie skewed as hell (not that it's a bad thing). Did the treehouse forums not participate this year?

steam_sig.png
  • Options

As someone who has over 400 hours on 3U: it's a niche game, it's unforgiving, it's incredibly skill based, it has very particular controls, it's grindy and getting in to it is like pulling out your toenails. It'll never see mainstream appeal in the west, despite being awesome and unique.

Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Spoit wrote: »
    Man those twitter results are PC indie skewed as hell (not that it's a bad thing). Did the treehouse forums not participate this year?
    Platformers participated and I flat-out forgot to post the link at 360arcadians. Those are the only two surviving treehouse forums I know.

EDIT: Platformers voted Legend of Zelda 3DS as #1

mcc on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Lanrutcon wrote: »

As someone who has over 400 hours on 3U: it's a niche game, it's unforgiving, it's incredibly skill based, it has very particular controls, it's grindy and getting in to it is like pulling out your toenails. It'll never see mainstream appeal in the west, despite being awesome and unique.

ROBBED

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    mcc wrote: »
    BTW, I think I'm going to just say this now, as a way of guilting myself into actually following through on it: This whole megapoll thing started in the summer of 2004 when I was looking for an excuse to learn PHP, and did a "Best Game Ever" poll in G&T. This year is the tenth anniversary of that. I am planning to commemorate this by doing a "Best Game Ever" poll again. And I think I'm going to try to (like I keep saying I want to do) explicitly pull in some other gaming communities like NeoGAF or Reddit this time-- ESPECIALLY after seeing how different the Twitter and PA vote results were this year, I'm interested in beefing up the source tracking and getting solid data on what different communities think is important. Anyway, expect to hear back from me around June when I start gathering the nominations list, because I'd like to get y'all's feedback on that.

@mcc
    I would suggest that you simply combine all of the nominations lists from every year. We screen for duplicates most years, so there shouldn't be much chance of there being tons of dupes. Do a quick CTRL-F for duplicates then post it.

I am so pumped for another best game ever. I'm still bitter that Deus Ex didn't win it.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »

@mcc
    I would suggest that you simply combine all of the nominations lists from every year. We screen for duplicates most years, so there shouldn't be much chance of there being tons of dupes. Do a quick CTRL-F for duplicates then post it.

I am so pumped for another best game ever. I'm still bitter that Deus Ex didn't win it.
    Yeah, that would definitely be the easiest way. But would that many entries cause problems?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Spoit wrote: »

I can confirm at least one did, as that's where my vote was tallied. I don't know if 360 Arcadians even exists anymore? And then tigsource is the other main forum (indie pc forum) which has folks who participate.

You can see the breakdown at the main site the poll is listed at

• Options
    Combining the lists would work for a good baseline, but if this is really going to be shopped around at places like GAF and reddit, there's going to need to be a nomination round, still, to try to take care of games which were never released in the States, at the very least.

• Options
    Combining all the years would result in thousands of games. It will also skew toward recent years because the nominations process has gotten more inclusive with time, and ballooned as I begin including more and more indie/freeware games. Last year there were like 300 games on the list, this year 400. The original BGE poll had fewer games on it than this year's poll alone. So that means we'd have a massive bias toward games released in the last ten years, entire consoles outnumbered by twine games made in 2014 etc.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Is it just me, or is that list crazy diverse? Everything from interdimensional puzzle solving with Antichamber to AAA-budget FPS with Bioshock to a game about being a border-crossing guard with Papers Please.

In fact, for all the crap people give FPS games, there's only one on that entire list, with almost half the top 20 being indie games. Really nice.

• Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Honestly, the thing that surprises me the most about most of these sorts of polls is how relatively low Brothers is tending to do in comparison to Gone Home, across the board. I found it to pull at my emotions and communicate the whole sibling relationship thing as well, if not better, while giving the player a greater sense of agency and involvement. So basically, I agree with Penny Arcade for putting Brothers higher :P

But really, if you haven't yet, go play Brothers.

Brothers just somehow went under the radar for a lot of people.

I agree with a lot of the list though imo Bioshock and Last of Us should switch places.

• Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    Is it just me, or is that list crazy diverse? Everything from interdimensional puzzle solving with Antichamber to AAA-budget FPS with Bioshock to a game about being a border-crossing guard with Papers Please.

In fact, for all the crap people give FPS games, there's only one on that entire list, with almost half the top 20 being indie games. Really nice.

It's diverse largely because the poll is pulling from several disparate sources. Going by the twitter version of the poll, Depression Quest was the 6th best game of 2013. Now I'm sure that's a fine game/visual novel, and it probably spoke to a ton of people for whom depression is a very real and serious issue. But I doubt that many people who play games as a regular past-time or hobby would hold it in such high regard, especially above all the other great gaming experiences to be had in 2013. Different strokes and all, but consider the source.

As for FPSes, there honestly weren't that many good ones this year. It seems MOBAs have taken over for FPSes as the genre du jour that every publisher wants a piece of.
    And here's how Penny Arcade voted:
    1. Bioshock Infinite
    2. Tomb Raider 2013
    3. The Last Of Us
    4. Saints Row IV
    5. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
    6. Grand Theft Auto V
    7. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
    8. Fire Emblem: Awakening
    9. Pokémon X and Y
    10. Papers, Please
    11. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
    12. Rogue Legacy
    13. Gone Home
    14. The Stanley Parable
    15. Starcraft II: Heart of the Swarm
    16. Super Mario 3D World
    17. Gunpoint
    18. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
    19. Ni No Kuni
    20. Guacamelee!

Now THIS is a list I can get behind. Thanks as always @mcc for your hard work.

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
    21. Options
      Eleven people total voted Black Flag as their #1

I have ten brothers in arms

Come forth, brothers!

You are my Forever Bros.

22. Options
      Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
      First Past the Post
      1. Gone Home (52)
      2. The Last Of Us (51)
      4. Saints Row IV (35)
      7. Papers, Please (23)
      8. Pokémon X and Y (23)
      10. Dota 2 (19)
      18. 868-HACK (10)
      20. Hate Plus (9)

Favourite list of the bunch.

I don't find myself disagreeing with the proper GOTY list too much but Tomb Raider 2013 is way too high. Drop it down ten places and I'd like that list a lot more.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
    23. Options
      ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
      First Past the Post
      1. Gone Home (52)
      2. The Last Of Us (51)
      4. Saints Row IV (35)
      7. Papers, Please (23)
      8. Pokémon X and Y (23)
      10. Dota 2 (19)
      18. 868-HACK (10)
      20. Hate Plus (9)

Favourite list of the bunch.

I don't find myself disagreeing with the proper GOTY list too much but Tomb Raider 2013 is way too high. Drop it down ten places and I'd like that list a lot more.

On the contrary, the problem is that it's not #1.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
    24. Options
      hackswordhacksword WinnipegRegistered User regular
      I haven't played Gone Home. Does it actually contain shooting at some point?

25. Options
      PreciousBodilyFluidsPreciousBodilyFluids Registered User regular
      I guess I should play Gone Home, a game I never even knew existed before this thread

26. Options
      PreciousBodilyFluidsPreciousBodilyFluids Registered User regular

Come forth, brothers!

You are my Forever Bros.

Hi5!

I'm honestly surprised only 11 peeps picked it as #1. It's so fun. But the pirate life ain't for everyone.

27. Options
      VeagleVeagle Registered User regular

Come forth, brothers!

You are my Forever Bros.

Hi5!

I'm honestly surprised only 11 peeps picked it as #1. It's so fun. But the pirate life ain't for everyone.

I put it as my #2 since I assumed it would have no problem taking the lead, and I wanted to boost Monaco up a little higher with my vote.

steam_sig.png
    28. Options
      Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
      Honestly surprised at how high Bioshock: Infinite placed, most people I'd talked to were pretty let down by it, me included. Then again by "most people" I mean people I've spoken to in person, you crazy virtual people seem to go nuts for it.

Also Tearaway hitting 67 is pretty good given the relatively small number of Vita owners. I love that game.

And now I'm going to have to give Gone Home a try too.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
      PSN: SirGrinchX
      Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
    29. Options
      jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
      hacksword wrote: »
      It contains no gameplay in the traditional sense. I would categorize it as an interactive visual novel.

30. Options
      MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
      edited January 2014
      Huh. Interesting results this time around.

The Twitter list is definitely super single-minded, but that makes a lot of sense if it was spread by retweets. You're going to end up with a lot of similarly-minded people flooding in. I'm still sort of bamboozled by the overwhelming adoration for Tomb Raider, but the PA list is otherwise completely solid and pretty even-handed. I am proud.

Salty Bet didn't get as robbed as I'd expected it to, given how many people didn't think to look for it on the list. And nowhere near enough people played Shadow Warrior or Zeno Clash 2. 5 votes for Zeno Clash, and only 1 of them was from somebody around here that wasn't me. What the fuck, PA?

Monger on
    31. Options
      hackswordhacksword WinnipegRegistered User regular
      jdarksun wrote: »
      It contains no gameplay in the traditional sense. I would categorize it as an interactive visual novel.

How is it an FPS then?

32. Options
      ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
      @mcc, would it be possible to post the alternative ranking methods for PA only? I'm interested in what PA thinks, moreso than the twitter followers.

33. Options
      jdarksun wrote: »

How is it an FPS then?

First Person Perspective.

Capture.jpg~original
    34. Options
      Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
      It amazes me year after year how consistent the Pokemon games are. The quality they manage to maintain game after game is stunning when you think the series started in the US in 1998.