Options

Here's looking at you, [chat].

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Chanus wrote: »
    Like, here in VA, a pack of smokes is about $5.00.

And you smoke a pack a day usually if you're a smoker.

So, about $150/mo on average.

SWVA is super damn cheap(5/pack sounds about right). US average is around 6/pack. Some places have super worse taxes than us that push it up over 8 like debasser was saying. (new york was 15$ in july)

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Last summer I saw a three-hour show/speech/presentation (somewhere inbetween) by a guy with pretty severe tourettes. Very fascinating. And more than a bit horrible at times.
    the severity as characterized in Motherless Brooklyn would be debilitating.

also, i've read a couple of Lethem books and haven't been particularly impressed although he is highly regarded.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular

five...
    dollar...
    pack...?

K. I am grubbing unapologetically off motherfuckers at PAX. JESUS FUCK

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Texas cigs are super cheap, comparatively.

Reds for $4.69

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    how much does smoking cost

as someone who has never bought a cigarette

out of curiosity

depends where you live, but it's between a lot and a shitload

Yeah, I think NYC is nutty, not sure how much a carton costs vs a pack but I think a pack of marlboro's up there is like, >$14 which at a pack a day would be about 5 grand.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    So how long is laser hair removal supposed to last?

Forever.

thats not entirely true

eventually laser hairs can grow back and then u need to be very careful u dont blind somebody with ur beard

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

Forever.

Good to know and there is a laser hair removal place about 25 minutes away from me. Now to see how horrific the cost is for me.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    holy shit the dunk at 1:50 is AMAZING

get. dunked. on.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    THANKS BLOOMBAMA

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    YES! Everyone told me it could not be done. But fuck them, I did it anyway. Even with out proper documentation.* Cars are driving by my canned looped video and I am recording their plates in a database. Then using certain plates to make a little light pop up on my desk. LIKE A BOSS!

*There is an extremely well documented SDK for multiple languages. But it doesn't cover configuration.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    In NJ they are like $8 a pack I believe.

So a pack a day'er is spending almost $3,000 a year.

And some people smoke even more than that!

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »

five...
    dollar...
    pack...?

yeah, i might buy a carton before heading up and just hand packs out as presents because smokers up there need relief

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    So last night I watched Atlus Shrugged Part 2.

It's a TERRIBLE movie, in every respect, but I recommend it.

It's bizarre to watch a movie and try and train your brain to root for the people who are CLEARLY the bad guys.

Government lackey is all like "if you dont bend to our will then maybe I'll just have to leave one of my subordinates behind to make sure nothing goes wrong."

In most movies this is usually someone who is going to burn the building down or something.

In Atlus Shrugged it is literally a person who will stick around to make sure that worker's rights aren't being systematically violated.

Essentially the government is planting someone there to make sure dudes get their lunch break.

Those monsters

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Man, when I was working at walgreens I remember it used to be like, $24 for a carton of reds.

I was livid that cloves hit over $6 a pack when they were banned.

twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Tourette is French for small tower hth

• Options
    One of the few times I've told off a patient was when they told me they couldn't afford the insurance they needed to pay for their hypertension medications, but smoked three packs a day.

That's about $550 a month.

Fucker's BP was 250/140.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    my brother has it too, highly similar tic, but he refuses to acknowledge it. he also refuses actual professional treatment. we haven't had many actual full blown episodes but leveling out my moods in general has been greatly beneficial. takes more to get me angry and I'm slower to reflexively lash out. some of that is likely due to getting older but I do make sure to be very diligent about treatment and routine. i wonder if any coworkers in the past 5 or 6 years have even noticed anything particularly amiss. i keep shit together pretty well i think.

man, i used to get to post at this frequency all the time. was kind of sweet being able to do so and get paid at the same time. course that is not the path to career growth, usually.

I have a limited understanding but.

I had a friend in high school. Became a highly decorated wrestler but he had a tic that he claims to have just. . .beaten.

Is that a thing that people do or does it become more controllable with age? There were still a few small things but sure enough as time went on his most noticeable tics stopped completely.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    YES! Everyone told me it could not be done. But fuck them, I did it anyway. Even with out proper documentation.* Cars are driving by my canned looped video and I am recording their plates in a database. Then using certain plates to make a little light pop up on my desk. LIKE A BOSS!

*There is an extremely well documented SDK for multiple languages. But it doesn't cover configuration.

Oh okay Thom, you NSA GOON

• Options

Forever.

Good to know and there is a laser hair removal place about 25 minutes away from me. Now to see how horrific the cost is for me.

The answer: horrific. And terribly time-consuming.

To complete the process can take years and cost tens of thousands of dollars.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i want to get the shape of the perfect beard lasered into my face

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

My evil is way more petty. Like using this to generate a report telling someone's boss when they came in. And giving them an alert if it happens after a certain time. So they can be waiting at the door to tell you you're late.

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    My mom would sometimes question my video game purchases while smoking a cigarette.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

Forever.

I am reasonably certain you are confusing laser and electrolysis here.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    So last night I watched Atlus Shrugged Part 2.

It's a TERRIBLE movie, in every respect, but I recommend it.

It's bizarre to watch a movie and try and train your brain to root for the people who are CLEARLY the bad guys.

Government lackey is all like "if you dont bend to our will then maybe I'll just have to leave one of my subordinates behind to make sure nothing goes wrong."

In most movies this is usually someone who is going to burn the building down or something.

In Atlus Shrugged it is literally a person who will stick around to make sure that worker's rights aren't being systematically violated.

Essentially the government is planting someone there to make sure dudes get their lunch break.

Those monsters

Is the 3rd movie gonna be the 3 hour long speech?

• Options
    In NJ they are like $8 a pack I believe.

So a pack a day'er is spending almost $3,000 a year.

And some people smoke even more than that!

A few years ago, I would pop out of the office, take the PATH to Grove Street, and buy a few packs from the Duance Reade outside the station. Even with the $5 PATH cost I was saving crazy money.

• Options

My evil is way more petty. Like using this to generate a report telling someone's boss when they came in. And giving them an alert if it happens after a certain time. So they can be waiting at the door to tell you you're late.

It's you...you're the problem.

<3 ;-)

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I dont get the appeal of true detective

• Options
    Deebaser wrote: »

five...
    dollar...
    pack...?

yeah, i might buy a carton before heading up and just hand packs out as presents because smokers up there need relief

And Boston is the blurst because you can't buy cigarettes in pharmacies.

twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    Like there are some 30 train derailments a month in this world.

Every time a main character gets on a train its like HEY GOOD CHANCE YOU DIE FYI HTH.

• Options
    i think the worst part about not smoking is i've just found other stupid ways to spend $5 a day and i don't seem to have any more money than i did when i smoked

• Options
    Shivahn wrote: »

Forever.

I am reasonably certain you are confusing laser and electrolysis here.

You should be. I am.

Yeah, laser is fairly cheap, and Groupon dumps stuff all the time for, like, $99+ per body section (arms, legs, chest, shoulders)

• Options

i dunno maybe somethings wrong with ur brain

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    cold.png

why is weather.gov's pic of cold that

when their pics for other weather are like

few.pngnsn30.png

Because weather.gov is a travesty and if anyone ever tried to make it not a travesty, Discovery Networks would start killing people every hour until it went back to being ugly and useless. Murder on the 8s.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i wonder how much i spend in a month on alcohol typically
    i spend almost nothing on weed in a year

i barely even buy much booze for home, i have like 3 bottles of liquor, most of the expense comes from going out
    and i don't even go out a ton anymore, just any drinks out in NYC is $$$

poo
  • Options

I found the interesting narrative structure, the compelling and layered characters, the stellar acting and the brutally claustrophobic aesthetic to be appealing.

But in all seriousness people like what they like, bummer it wasn't for you!

• Options

<3 ;-)

Yep. I do actually do a practical set up for this with parent's cars. You load the parent's license plates into a database along with teachers and students. If someone not on that white list drives in it alerts the school administration in case it's a non-custodial parent or the unlikely chance it's an active shooter. The idea being that you can increase awareness at the perimeter without having to have a full time school resource officer or security guard.

• Options
    i think the worst part about not smoking is i've just found other stupid ways to spend $5 a day and i don't seem to have any more money than i did when i smoked

Yeah shaming people for smoking is p lame, imo. It's like, we all blow our money on stupid shit. Booze, drugs, videogames, fast food.

It just seems silly to get on your high horse about someone smoking because it's not your chosen method of blowing your money or slowly killing yourself.

• Options
    As a note on the smoking, the Marlborough Man just recently died.

• Options

<3 ;-)

Yep. I do actually do a practical set up for this with parent's cars. You load the parent's license plates into a database along with teachers and students. If someone not on that white list drives in it alerts the school administration in case it's a non-custodial parent or the unlikely chance it's an active shooter. The idea being that you can increase awareness at the perimeter without having to have a full time school resource officer or security guard.

That's pretty cool. Technology!

• Options

Yeah shaming people for smoking is p lame, imo. It's like, we all blow our money on stupid shit. Booze, drugs, videogames, fast food.

It just seems silly to get on your high horse about someone smoking because it's not your chosen method of blowing your money or slowly killing yourself.

to be fair, smoking is really dumb

This discussion has been closed.