As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Monday, February 17, 2014 - The Hot Seat

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited February 2014 in The Penny Arcade Hub

image[PA Comic] Monday, February 17, 2014 - The Hot Seat

The Hot Seat

The Hot Seat

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2014/02/17

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    AntonNULAntonNUL Registered User regular
    Tycho, get your priorities straight. Get Elliot to go extinguish the flames. Problem solved.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    So just how much of Tycho is made out of plastic?

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    So just how much of Tycho is made out of plastic?

Just the horse head.

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I've always assumed it's a detailed prosthetic full head mask that got accidentally glued on once and fused to his skin.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    More like 'Titanfail to find host' am I right?!

• Options
    NinjaTardNinjaTard Registered User new member
    As a PS4 player who will miss out on Titanfall until either A) a unicorn cries magic rainbow tears and it comes to my Next Gen console of first priority or B) Price drop/Surprise money so I can buy an XBOne myself.....can I ask if this comic implies it's a great game or a really bad one? I'm guessing really good.

Also, still getting used to the new site: has there not been a Tycho post yet or am I missing the link somewhere to read his comments on today's strip?

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    I am pretty sure it means it's really good.

There hasn't been a Tycho newspost for this comic yet. When one goes up, a "Txt" button should appear next to the title of the comic.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    NinjaTard wrote: »
    As a PS4 player who will miss out on Titanfall until either A) a unicorn cries magic rainbow tears and it comes to my Next Gen console of first priority or B) Price drop/Surprise money so I can buy an XBOne myself.....can I ask if this comic implies it's a great game or a really bad one? I'm guessing really good.

Also, still getting used to the new site: has there not been a Tycho post yet or am I missing the link somewhere to read his comments on today's strip?

I went PS4 as well. My brother has an XBone though, and I sat and watched him play the Titanfall beta for like an hour last night. I was glued to the screen the whole time. It looked remarkably(understandably) similar to a CoD game, but with some awesome improvements. Also giant robots. Giant robots are always a plus. Anyway, it's good. Really good... and I didn't even play it.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    NinjaTard wrote: »

It runs on the source engine and it's requirements are pretty low. You might wanna look into going PC for it.

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    I am pretty sure it means it's really good.

There hasn't been a Tycho newspost for this comic yet. When one goes up, a "Txt" button should appear next to the title of the comic.

Yes, they're basically saying it's so good that the game crashing was the only thing that could tear them away from it. Even Tycho's house burning down around him can't get him to stop. From their red eyes it appears they've done the same as the rest of us in the beta and played it for about 28 hours straight over the weekend.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    great newspost by Tycho today on the lineage, I wonder how many people even remember allied assault let alone call of duty 1.

Allied Assault WarChest was like 2 bucks this weekend on gog, I meant to pick it up but forgot. I wonder how well it holds up.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Great news post, if only because it reminded me how funny the Stanley Parable comic was.

• Options
    IanysusIanysus Registered User new member
    Wish I wasn't a pleb, and could play it. Looks good.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Looks like the Bone is getting it's first killer app.

Us PS4 owners are still waiting for ours. Hint: Killzone wasn't it.

• Options
    dead.juicedead.juice Registered User regular
    Great comic, one of the funniest in a while. :D

• Options
    AlwaysTheBigSpoonAlwaysTheBigSpoon Registered User regular
    Titanfall must be that good. Haven't felt like that since maybe Uncharted 2 Multi. Might not be able to play it. Will try it with my rig (AMD A10) but I doubt it could handle it.
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Looks like the Bone is getting it's first killer app.

Us PS4 owners are still waiting for ours. Hint: Killzone wasn't it.

Nope. It certainly wasn't. Had some hopes for Killzone. I was hoping it'd be like about terrorism at home, especially with that first gameplay trailer, but story was never one of the good features of Killzone.

Don't think Titanfall needs that much of a story because Mechs. Which does make me wonder if Hawken will be able to give me that Mech-fix, not as a second choice Titfanfall but just to fulfill that "robot-on-robot mech battles."

There's Destiny but it seems like it doesn't have that heavy metal gun feel.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I wonder if Tycho is right about his list of games in the newspost. I hadn't even remembered they did MoH, then CoD, then Modern Warfare and each time redid norms amongst both FPS games and particularly in the popularity of WW2 and then Modern War settings.

I am not going to be unhappy if Titanfall inspires more science fiction FPS games of its ilk and less bland, generic MMS.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    I wonder if Tycho is right about his list of games in the newspost. I hadn't even remembered they did MoH, then CoD, then Modern Warfare and each time redid norms amongst both FPS games and particularly in the popularity of WW2 and then Modern War settings.

I am not going to be unhappy if Titanfall inspires more science fiction FPS games of its ilk and less bland, generic MMS.

But how long...how long before the SciFi FPS is the object of scorn?

• Options
    About the time that it is ready to be torn down and replaced with something else.

Probably WWI or WWII.

Then the cycle begins anew.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Given the choice between eternally playing games where I could stomp on motherfuckers with a giant mech versus picking out which sick new ACOG I can slap onto my M4 derivative, I'd much sooner choose the former, I reckon.

• Options
    Call of Duty: Agincourt.

• Options
    TechieZeroTechieZero Registered User regular
    Am I the only one who thinks TF wasn't that awesome?

Robots shooting at each other...Mechwarrior, Earth Siege etc...
    People shooting at each other...ummm way done.
    People alongside their vehicles...Unreal, BF 2142!!!
    AI people...way done.
    Cards you can use in game...Painkiller

Was it fun and done well? Yes.

Was it awesome? No. At least have destructive environments...geez.

• Options
    marsiliesmarsilies Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    I wonder if Tycho is right about his list of games in the newspost. I hadn't even remembered they did MoH, then CoD, then Modern Warfare...
    I'm not sure why you would doubt him, but for reference:
    http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/18/4442424/new-insights-reveal-west-and-zampellas-damaged-relationship-during
    The article also delves into a little-known story from [Vince Zampella and Jason West]'s early careers, when they worked at a developer called 2015. While working at 2015, the two led an effort to create EA hit Medal of Honor: Allied Assault (2002) for PC as a contract job. As the game came to completion, they left the company taking most of the talent with them. The new studio, called Infinity Ward, was funded by EA.
    So to be clear, they were responsible for MoH: Allied Assault, and not the MoH series as a whole.

Infinity Ward made COD, COD2, COD4: Modern Warfare, and COD:MW2 while they were at the helm. After that, Zampella and West left and formed Respawn, again taking most of the talent with them:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinity_Ward#2010_employee_firings_and_departures
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Respawn_Entertainment