Options

Tiny [chat] is dreaming

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Yessssss

I managed to squeeze my two-page resume down to one page without losing much.

Now to print it before some calamity befalls my laptop.

You listened to us?

Guys, he fell for that epic troll!

Now his resume is way too short!

Let's all point and laugh!

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Its still only like 50/50 whether they'll have a cider though.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    march 9: 303.5 lbs
    march 10: 298.6 lbs
    march 11: 295.4 lbs
    march 12: 294.4 lbs

:open_mouth:

Boy what you been (not) eating?

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    like if you asked someone here to name an American beer of the top of their heads

it'd be Bud, Miller or Coors

and i'm not going to dip into hyperbole here because it's unnecessary, all three are just really boring beers

Thing with US beer is outside the majors and a few big microbrews a lot of them aren't even available in every part of the country or even outside the city they are made. Let alone overseas.

But yeah, those three are basically piss water.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Wow, this guy has a serious thing for torturing Putin. I'm impressed and horrified at the cannibalism.

• Options
    Belasco32Belasco32 Registered User regular

This makes me want to buy a scale...but I'm afraid it will just disappoint me and, instead, I should keep with simply enjoying being able to wear clothes I couldn't get over my childbearing hips a month ago. Ya know?

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    My toes don't provide much balance when I can't feel them.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Yeah.

Seriously not a good look for the other side.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    our team is in the middle of a large solaris upgrade on every server the company has and this applications guy wants us to all get together for 90 minutes each week and go over what we've done the last week

my team and boss are at lunch, I'm going to see what they think, but spending 5% of my time here each week sitting in another meeting that literally has no operational objectives seems like a silly idea
    I think this could apply. Think of something that you know he needs to get done and interrelates what he want's from you, and ask for a status report on a certain aspect of it, so you can better understand the big picture. Make it about interoffice synergy and big picture thinking, and he'll spend hours fucking around with your bullshit request.

I've come to realize that sometimes I am just a bad employee. Today I was productive and got a few contracts out, and I'll get an IGE and market research out on another contract we are setting up. But I am a disruptive force when I get pulled into bullshit meetings.

I can't think of anything he needs to get done because I don't even know what his department does

I'm kind of worried when I lay out what I actually do at a meeting in front of people they'll be like WHAT, HE DOESN'T DO THAT MUCH, FIRE HIM

but I mean I clear all my tickets, maybe they should assign me more work if that's not enough
    Your an intern. The fact that your doing work is probably more than they actually expect. Make sure to mention group projects you were a part of, not just individual work.

• Options
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Wow, this guy has a serious thing for torturing Putin. I'm impressed and horrified at the cannibalism.

I want him to be the new LorctheOrc

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Cinders wrote: »
    Stereotypes about American beers are old hat.

it's not our fault you only export the shite! :P

So does everyone else!

But the US beer scene is one of the most diverse around. Regional differences abound. And we have tons of home and microbrewries everywhere. Basically we are beertopia.

well export some of it then!

But why bother if they can sell it all in the domestic market? The biggest craft/"micro" brewer is Sam Adams, and they do like 5-10% of the volume of InBev. The smallest ones make enough to supply a single bar or restaurant. Same reason the Real Ale people in the UK don't export here, I'd think.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Belasco32 wrote: »

This makes me want to buy a scale...but I'm afraid it will just disappoint me and, instead, I should keep with simply enjoying being able to wear clothes I couldn't get over my childbearing hips a month ago. Ya know?

scales are for torturing yourself

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »

I want him to be the new LorctheOrc

I reported his new account but he seems dedicated to his gospel. Of torturing Putin.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    i can't even handle how much i want to go home and play dark souls 2 right now

i get in this weird state where around afternoon i want to go home so bad i could shank someone to do it

then i get closer and closer to home time and i cba to get up

i could have left here 10 minutes ago

Yup this happens to me too

Once I don't have to be here any more I don't mind waiting half an hour to help someone out/avoid traffic

it's weird, same thing happens to me

and when i go home in this state i rarely put the game right in and play

it's more that i want the option to be available so that i may do it at my leisure (whether the option is playing the game i want to play or leaving to go home or whatever)

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Just a troll putin on a show

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular

So does everyone else!

But the US beer scene is one of the most diverse around. Regional differences abound. And we have tons of home and microbrewries everywhere. Basically we are beertopia.

You're going to have to kill a ton of Belgians in order to make that happen.
    Belgian-owned InBev, who owns Anheuser-Busch (and thus Budweiser) and virtually every other major brewery in the world, essentially has a global stranglehold over the import/export business for beer

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    Feral wrote: »

Feral, you could have gone with "Just a troll putin on the Ritz." and you let it go.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I miss MrMister. I want him to post moar.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    essentially a cult

I think that's a little extreme.
    the very premise of nerd subculture is establishing a defensive, alternative social network.

because

you know

there's no reason to feel a little defensive when somebody is calling your social group "a cult" or joking "i refuse to share a species with them"

god damn it Feral

Bronies are the last group i'm allowed to discriminate against

being a dick to anime lovers was taken away from me and now you want to take this too??

this is bullshit Feral

i can't help the fact i'm kind of an asshole and need some group to vent on

@Ludious‌ back me up here

It's much easier to take the Lud path and make fun of everything.

I stand by that.

Fuck you all, there's somethign about everyone that can be made fun of and I don't see why we shouldn't do it.

I think there's a not-so-subtle and important difference between having a sense of humor and doing the caustic ball-busting thing. The latter is toxic to pretty much all human relations.

For sure. Being nasty to people is not cool. But the lines there can be blurred and it gets very complicated and some people are very sensitive and .... well there's a lot of underlying issues.

So I just go with the "sorry if that made you feel bad, didn't mean for it to, oh well!" method.

• Options

Feral, you could have gone with "Just a troll putin on the Ritz." and you let it go.

sorry, my vlad

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

your av gives you like a +20 bonus to puns

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I am alone in a room with probably four hundred preserved insects in various solutions. I'm the only person who uses this lab so it is quiet and basically my space. It's awesome.

• Options
    Shivahn wrote: »
    I am alone in a room with probably four hundred preserved insects in various solutions. I'm the only person who uses this lab so it is quiet and basically my space. It's awesome.

i read that as 'perverted' at first

i... uh... i think i need to get laid

• Options

@BugBoy

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular

Couldn't wait to Russian to that pun

• Options
    Belasco32Belasco32 Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »

So does everyone else!

But why bother if they can sell it all in the domestic market? The biggest craft/"micro" brewer is Sam Adams, and they do like 5-10% of the volume of InBev. The smallest ones make enough to supply a single bar or restaurant. Same reason the Real Ale people in the UK don't export here, I'd think.

Does Sam Adams really even qualify as a "micro" beer anymore?

Hell, I won't give that distinction to Shiner Bock, which isn't even exported out of Texas, because they're HUGE and don't really go with the microbrewery thing anymore. Dogfish Head, however, even though they're also HUGE and they export all over the States (dunno about beyond that) can keep it's micro 'cause they are way into the whole crafting thing.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod

Boy what you been (not) eating?

my main guiding principle has been as close as i can get to no sugar (without just like, eating nothing but boiled shrimp). i also generally stay away from carbs because they usually make me insanely ravenous. so i've been at or less than ~20g of sugar per day, at or less than ~40g of carbs. generally my only sugar is from beef jerky, yogurt, or the tiny bit from peanut butter.

i'm not overly worried about calories i guess because i can't squeeze down enough. with plenty of green veggies and proteins, i don't really have the appetite to pile it on, even with skin-on, non-lean proteins. i'm eating like, a peanut butter on whole wheat sandwich (with a fair chunk of peanut butter) every night just to keep me from eating like 500 calories. it's bizarre.

anyway i have some cashews and macadamias on the way from amazon so i will have fewer 700 calorie days once those show up. aiming for ~1,200.

• Options
    The other thing with beer if you have to remember US is much more analogous to Europe in terms of scale. Beer in Ireland is different from beer in Spain is different from beer in Estonia. Same thing with LA, Omaha and Baltimore

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

sorry, my vlad

such a mistake Moscow you

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    InfamyDeferredInfamyDeferred Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    essentially a cult

I think that's a little extreme.
    the very premise of nerd subculture is establishing a defensive, alternative social network.

because

you know

there's no reason to feel a little defensive when somebody is calling your social group "a cult" or joking "i refuse to share a species with them"

god damn it Feral

Bronies are the last group i'm allowed to discriminate against

being a dick to anime lovers was taken away from me and now you want to take this too??

this is bullshit Feral

i can't help the fact i'm kind of an asshole and need some group to vent on

@Ludious‌ back me up here

It's much easier to take the Lud path and make fun of everything.

I stand by that.

Fuck you all, there's somethign about everyone that can be made fun of and I don't see why we shouldn't do it.

I think there's a not-so-subtle and important difference between having a sense of humor and doing the caustic ball-busting thing. The latter is toxic to pretty much all human relations.

For sure. Being nasty to people is not cool. But the lines there can be blurred and it gets very complicated and some people are very sensitive and .... well there's a lot of underlying issues.

So I just go with the "sorry if that made you feel bad, didn't mean for it to, oh well!" method.

Sometimes I do wonder if I'm too thin-skinned to wear a kick-me sign avatar. I'm just not sure what else I'd like it to be.

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus
    why are you defensive? it's weird and creepy. come over here so we can make fun of you for being defensive.

i don't really think you have the causal vectors quite right on that one

like you said yourself, the people with a button on their backpack don't particularly stick out. they like a thing which yes might be a little socially inappropriate but by and large they interact with the rest of the world on its own terms and it's nbd

but the people who make a cartoon their thing do kinda stick out, and they've made a decision to do so. it's how they've learned to interact with the world. it's unhealthy and it's annoying and it shouldn't be lionized or excused.

I think it works both ways. Like a lot of things in human behavior, a phenomenon can be both a cause and an effect.

Some people are reacting to slights (sometimes real, sometimes imaginary, sometimes serious, sometimes trivial) by doubling-down on the "I'm different and weird and proud!" attitude.

Some people are taking defensiveness over one thing (being a nerd, being fat, being gay) and transferring it to something else. "I got picked on for being fat, therefore clearly when somebody casually mentions my MLP shirt they're picking on me too."

Some people just want to be into the stuff that they're into and not be teased about it constantly.

However, regardless of where they are in that cycle, further needling isn't going to have a positive effect. I think it's valid criticism to point out that some nerds huddle in a corner going "I wish I was at home listening to Swans watching My Little Pony." But when those nerds get together and have their My Little Pony thing, if you're not making an effort to understand why they like it and what they get out of it and actually connect with them as human beings then you're being the Swans dude huddled in a corner thinking "why am I better than everyone else?"

the reason we're going to differ on this is that you refuse to accept that there is a dominant, mainstream culture that people will suffer socially if they refuse to engage with.

like it or not (and mostly i don't!) professional sports and how's the weather and the kids are great and my ski trip next week is general-purpose water-cooler conversation and my raid progress in WoW or your furry convention isn't.

like it or not (and mostly i do!) wearing a button-down shirt and chinos to the grocery store allows you to pass without much comment while wearing a cloak or utilikilt does not.

like, there is a set of social expectations that people generally conform to. it makes it possible to live with other people. literally everyone on the planet has some sort of unusual interest or hobby or trait or belief, but most of us understand that it's unusual and that the world as a whole will not bend to our demands.

so me personally, when the MIT intern starts banging on about her anime club and pony fandom? i try to engage with her as a person and ask some questions and be generous in my estimation. but, of course, her insistence on making this her thing is going to hurt her socially and probably professionally.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Yessssss

I managed to squeeze my two-page resume down to one page without losing much.

Now to print it before some calamity befalls my laptop.

You listened to us?

Guys, he fell for that epic troll!

Now his resume is way too short!

Let's all point and laugh!

Well, to be fair...

My resume was long and empty before.

now it's merely short.

• Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    I'm trying to give Buffy the Vampire Slayer another shot but the cringey romance plots are just as annoying as ever. I keep having to pause and go look at something else to avoid straining my eyes after rolling them so much.

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    Russian puns are easy mode

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Hi.
    Random spammers, you can TOTALLY send me your PM's about whatever issue you are having. I won't respond, but I will read your nonsense!

No one sends me random nonsense. :(

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    our team is in the middle of a large solaris upgrade on every server the company has and this applications guy wants us to all get together for 90 minutes each week and go over what we've done the last week

my team and boss are at lunch, I'm going to see what they think, but spending 5% of my time here each week sitting in another meeting that literally has no operational objectives seems like a silly idea
    I think this could apply. Think of something that you know he needs to get done and interrelates what he want's from you, and ask for a status report on a certain aspect of it, so you can better understand the big picture. Make it about interoffice synergy and big picture thinking, and he'll spend hours fucking around with your bullshit request.

I've come to realize that sometimes I am just a bad employee. Today I was productive and got a few contracts out, and I'll get an IGE and market research out on another contract we are setting up. But I am a disruptive force when I get pulled into bullshit meetings.

I can't think of anything he needs to get done because I don't even know what his department does

I'm kind of worried when I lay out what I actually do at a meeting in front of people they'll be like WHAT, HE DOESN'T DO THAT MUCH, FIRE HIM

but I mean I clear all my tickets, maybe they should assign me more work if that's not enough
    Your an intern. The fact that your doing work is probably more than they actually expect. Make sure to mention group projects you were a part of, not just individual work.

It's hard to shake the feeling that I'm extremely lazy and nonproductive even though when I walk by the computer store (they image laptops for franchisees) I see the interns in there playing bravely default or watching youtube

• Options

So does everyone else!

Hell, I won't give that distinction to Shiner Bock, which isn't even exported out of Texas, because they're HUGE and don't really go with the microbrewery thing anymore. Dogfish Head, however, even though they're also HUGE and they export all over the States (dunno about beyond that) can keep it's micro 'cause they are way into the whole crafting thing.

We get Shiner up here in NY/NJ. Good stuff

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

i read that as 'perverted' at first

i... uh... i think i need to get laid

I do too actually. Every plan has fallen through and I am frustrated, to say the least.

• Options
    edited March 2014

So does everyone else!

They're technically a member of the microbrewer trade groups, but yeah. They dwarf all of the metro/regional micros, but are still dwarfed in turn by the Macros.

Also, I can totally get Shiner Bock in Atlanta. And it kinda sucks?

a5ehren on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    "and with it aiming stout blows at his belly"

there is a kind of mad brilliance here

This discussion has been closed.