Options

I Just Bought a Car, So Let's Have a [Car Thread]

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Oh man, less than 27 minutes to go at Sebring and they're on caution. Porsche 911 RSR in the lead for GTLM with the SRT Viper right behind. Gonna be some good racing here as soon as we go green.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    @Fonjo‌
    @msuitepyon‌
    You can get the forester in a stick if you stay with the premium trim, though no leather. If you search around in the car thread and I think help/advice, someone else was looking for tall-man cars and there were a ton of reco's. I think edmunds or kbb have a good list too.

As far as small utes go - My '14 Forester can haul tons of shit, gets 25 MPG around town and 30ish when mostly highway driven. Not a bad deal at all, especially given the dearth of good hatches out there. I almost ended up with an impreza, but it didn't have the 6 speed, only a short-geared 5 speed.

• Options
    IpseDixitIpseDixit Treat me like a pirate And give me that bootyRegistered User regular
    Arrg I've found the bike I want, it is an awesome deal. $2800 for a 2000 Honda RC51 with 18k miles. Only downside is it has a salvage title, not really an issue to me though.

But I don't have any of my funding yet!

ipsesignew.jpg
    Flickr - PSN ID - IamTetsuo - Steam
  • Options
    IpseDixitIpseDixit Treat me like a pirate And give me that bootyRegistered User regular
    ipsesignew.jpg
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Almost sounds like something Major Lazer could use in a track..

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    had my best sim race to date over the weekend, finished 3rd in a Corvette C6.R over a two hour race at Sebring

the night before I got into the "top split", which is the split with all the crazy ass god tier finns and germans who stay up until 2AM to make american primetime races. and was promptly wrecked by one of those finns on a straightaway

all motoring cultural stereotypes portrayed on Top Gear are utterly true and manifest themselves daily on iRacing

• Options
    intropintrop Registered User regular
    New vehicle! But I am holding out to post pictures and such because there's snow on the ground here, I am not going outside, and no one wants pictures of the inside of my garage.

Steam ID: highentropy
  • Options
    IpseDixit wrote: »
    Arrg I've found the bike I want, it is an awesome deal. $2800 for a 2000 Honda RC51 with 18k miles. Only downside is it has a salvage title, not really an issue to me though.

Make sure the forks aren't bent.

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DERZgjYrimc

This is probably my best race to date. The C6.R is GT1 spec, about 590HP, no traction control... a very challenging drive on a bumpy course like his one

I was running consistently about 1 second off of elite times. Professionals were doing 57.2s in race conditions, I run 58.3s and hit a 57.9

i put some mildly interesting time codes in the description. the track got pretty thin in the second hour due to attrition. These races are hard to finish. The retirement rate is about 25%, which is high considering how rare non-collision mechanical problems are

• Options
    schuss wrote: »

Make sure the forks aren't bent.

The forks don't appear to be, but the rear subframe might be. Not an issue as a new one is like $100

ipsesignew.jpg
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Ok dropping the whole JDM thing and going after a nice WRX wagon since I can actually insure it and quickly find parts. This has been what my search has looked like for the past month.

lhjhbB9.gif

Sadly anything that comes up has either been not that great or wildly overpriced and not that great. Hopefully in the spring some WRXes will have sprung lose.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    Decius wrote: »
    Ok dropping the whole JDM thing and going after a nice WRX wagon since I can actually insure it and quickly find parts. This has been what my search has looked like for the past month.

lhjhbB9.gif

Sadly anything that comes up has either been not that great or wildly overpriced and not that great. Hopefully in the spring some WRXes will have sprung lose.

Sounds like how my moto search has been going

ipsesignew.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    yeesh. no apparent changes to the 2014 MX-5 at all

i was at least thinking they'd cut some weight. the miata is only about 350 pounds lighter than the Mazda 3 now with 1000% less utility

that's pretty disgusting

Jasconius on
  • Options

lhjhbB9.gif

What state? Some states have stupid low Scooby inventories and the used market reaches Tacoma levels of stupid in terms of pricing.

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »

lhjhbB9.gif

What state? Some states have stupid low Scooby inventories and the used market reaches Tacoma levels of stupid in terms of pricing.

Alberta. It's still winter so people aren't quite ready to part with their AWD vehicles. I figure April after PAX I should see some stuff come up for sale.

Now if only I can find my unicorn; a 2002/03 WRX Spec R1 Wagon

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    You bastard, my old car (9-2X aero) was there. Still wistful for good ol' red.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I would love to see a makover of the MX-5 using the current design themes. I think it would look hot with that new grill Mazda is going with.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    i can't imagine what it would look like

i'm sort of OK with the current look, the new clubsport package actually has nice paint

but it doesn't strike me as that great of a vehicle at the moment...

buying a miata now would be like buying a state of the art laptop with a 5400RPM harddrive... just... why?

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »

i'm sort of OK with the current look, the new clubsport package actually has nice paint

buying a miata now would be like buying a state of the art laptop with a 5400RPM harddrive... just... why?

It's going to be riding on a totally new platform in either 2015 or 2016, shared with the new Alfa Romeo Spider. There really isn't a great reason to buy one right now. I also didn't really expect them to do much for 2014 because why waste some money on making significant changes when a whole new generation of car is coming out next year?

• Options
    you know what I really dig? The new 2015 Mazda 2 concept. That is a sharp looking little car.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »

In Australia the FT-86 is $15,000 cheaper, faster, and goes around corners better on the shitty Prius tyres. Put something decent on the stock rims? No contest.

• Options
    it still just blows my mind that there is that much price difference between the two.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    in America the MX-5 is still cheaper by a few thousand dollars in base trim

if you get the MX-5 club package which has better suspension they are basically the same price here (MX-5 about 2k more expensive)

but the convertible aspect of the MX-5 makes it heavier more expensive and slower... however there's no excuse for the gap to be that wide

Jasconius on
  • Options
    So I borrowed my buddy's ninja 250 to take my motorcycle skills test on (passed!)

Holy cow this is a fun little bike! It handles like a dream, most turns I didn't even have to touch the brakes.

But once you get on the freeway the 25 hp really show how weak they are. Once I hit 80 it was really running out of breath. Made passing people on the freeway a lot tougher. Cruising at 10k rpm also felt wrong.

At 6' the bike is also super tiny for me.

Conclusion: it'd be awesome as a second bike to go out and rip around on from time to time, but I couldn't live with it being my only bike.

ipsesignew.jpg
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    it still just blows my mind that there is that much price difference between the two.

Toyota worked hard to make the base model $29990 here. There's an 18 month wait for the most popular colours. Subaru is selling the BRZ for $39990, and there's a six month wait for the most popular colours.

The MX-5 starts at $46,000 and climbs sharply from there, there is a standard one month wait for whatever possible combination of options you could ever ask for, and that is because they would have to build the car, ship it to Australia, clear it through customs and do the predelivery before handing over the keys.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Identical car except for a bit of styling and nicer interior..... $10000 more? Fuck that

• Options
    Like I said, Toyota are selling them extremely cheaply. The Hyundai Veloster coupe (non turbo) sells for around $27000 here from memory. I can't be certain Toyota are making much if any money at all on selling the FT-86, but they should stand to make bank in servicing and parts because they're selling a pile of them, and having an actual sportscar in their line up instead of some Camry with some stickers on it is doing wonders for their reputation.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Are the spec options the same across the base GT-86 and BRZ? I recall that the BRZ came with more as standard here. Not sure about the MX-5 though, besides that the roof comes off.

• Options
    MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    My parents helped me buy a Kia Cerato SI (through the Kia sale through February and March in Australia) because the Ute I have been driving for the past 10 years is starting to not be practical for the things I have to do. It's a big tank with no power steering, which makes it quite hard to maneuver in small areas, and no air conditioning in Darwin, Australia (A place with insane humidity). My folks wanted me to have a car that I can have for years, and use it when I start working during my clinical placement, and then after grad school and when I move out and start doing my own thing.

The Ute is basically my dads, he bought it almost 40 years ago and I've been driving it since I was a teenager. It's still a great car but it's too clunky to take into places like the city or anywhere with small roads and intense traffic - and you can forget about wearing long pants and business shirts in the car - it will bake you alive in the heat.

So! After waiting 3 weeks for the car to finally arrive, we were able to pick it up yesterday! And this is how they had it waiting at the dealership.

http://i.imgur.com/2XhU6B7.jpg

I love it. But I'm sooo not used to driving a car like this. I'm still driving like I'm in a tank.

Morblitz on
    3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • Options
    pimento wrote: »
    Are the spec options the same across the base GT-86 and BRZ? I recall that the BRZ came with more as standard here. Not sure about the MX-5 though, besides that the roof comes off.

The BRZ has the higher-spec interior in it as stock, Toyota offer the FT-86 and the FT-86 GTS (with the nicer interior and a higher pricetag, but still a couple of grand cheaper than the BRZ).

The best thing about the FT-86 is you can put a set of decent tyres on it, drive it into almost any tuning shop worth the sign hanging over their front door, and they can bolt on a supercharger kit, exhaust, and re-tune it to bump the power up from 147 kW to 230-240 kW in a couple of hours.

Then you go to the racetrack and battle Porsches. I think there'd be nothing funnier than cutting faster lap times than some douche in a 911 in a car that cost (including mods) 1/6 what his did, and then strongly hinting that money can't buy talent afterwards...

• Options
    intropintrop Registered User regular
    So I borrowed my buddy's ninja 250 to take my motorcycle skills test on (passed!)

Holy cow this is a fun little bike! It handles like a dream, most turns I didn't even have to touch the brakes.

But once you get on the freeway the 25 hp really show how weak they are. Once I hit 80 it was really running out of breath. Made passing people on the freeway a lot tougher. Cruising at 10k rpm also felt wrong.

At 6' the bike is also super tiny for me.

Conclusion: it'd be awesome as a second bike to go out and rip around on from time to time, but I couldn't live with it being my only bike.

Congratulations!

I agree that Ninja 250s (and the CBR 250s) are tiny buckets of fun. I even know one guy who uses his for a long daily commute, but yeah they're not a whole lot of fun at Interstate speeds and god forbid if you want to take a passenger or some luggage.

Steam ID: highentropy
  • Options
    HooverFanHooverFan NCRegistered User regular
    hey guys... it's called the GT-86, the FT was the Future Toyota name for the concepts

BNet profile: HooverFish#1668
    PSN: HooverFanPA
    Steam: HooverFan
  • Options
    HooverFan wrote: »
    hey guys... it's called the GT-86, the FT was the Future Toyota name for the concepts

If you want to be really anal about it, it's just called the 86. The GT part is a spec level suffix, hence there is also the GTS-86.

I'll keep calling it the FT-86 just the same as I still refer to the grey rectangular Original Playstation console as the PSX.

• Options
    Car prices are so weird in Australia. Here by the time you were done modding that Toyota you'd have almost half a base 911

• Options
    HooverFanHooverFan NCRegistered User regular
    HooverFan wrote: »

If you want to be really anal about it, it's just called the 86. The GT part is a spec level suffix, hence there is also the GTS-86.

I'll keep calling it the FT-86 just the same as I still refer to the grey rectangular Original Playstation console as the PSX.

GTS spec is Australia only and GT-86 is the primary seller in Japan with a Limited which basically adds a spoiler... base RC and G level trims are low production models aimed at modders (RC) and entry-level (G)

there's the anal you wanted... when all I was saying is that FT is concept and isn't a real thing

BNet profile: HooverFish#1668
    PSN: HooverFanPA
    Steam: HooverFan
  • Options
    A 911 Carrerra costs $205,600 here. Plus on-roads.

Sorry, did you mean a Turbo S? That'll be $441,300, thanks. Plus on roads.

• Options
    ipsesignew.jpg
  • Options

Big pimpin', baby!

You could offer this guy $7500 - http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/4386468844.html

This looks pretty good too - http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/4386447794.html

• Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    Don't take this the wrong way Ipse, but I don't think you're HxC enough for a one of a kind skulls and flames hyabusa.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I thought all i had to send off to get my UK license was my current australian license, which was bad enough, but now it turns out I need to surrender my passport as well, to verify my ID. And it can take three to four weeks, IF they don't lose the documents.

My job is basically dependent on my ability to travel, so I am gonna be freaking out about this more than a little. Also, I like my current license photo a lot. And Aus licenses in general are nicer than UK ones.

Peevishness!

This discussion has been closed.