As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX East Runners?

cadmiacadmia Registered User regular
Hello! I always love getting to know a new city better via a run and I was wondering if there are any other runners that would be interested in joining me? It would be great to meet up:)

I'm staying at the Hilton Downtown, but I'm not sure that matters too much.

• Options
    hdctambienhdctambien Registered User regular
    I'm staying about a mile away at the Park Plaza right by Park Square. We're both really close to the bike path which is a nice, scenic path on the river.

I'd be up for doing anything from 4 to 10 miles in the morning with anyone that is interested.

• Options
    Yay! I'm not the only crazy :) The bike path sounds like a great idea, I'll need to look into it a bit more.

• Options
    huggyd1huggyd1 Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    I like the idea of a run. It would have to be early so that we don't miss out on anything. I'm willing to do maybe 6 miles or so.

huggyd1 on
  • Options
    gonexallgonexall PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    I took the winter off and just started running again--and have found that I am way out of shape. I'm doing 3 mile runs right now, but I'd like to work up to at least 5 miles before Pax, and I'd be interested in running with you guys. I might not do the whole run though. I am staying at the Parker Omni Thursday and Friday, then at the Westin Saturday and Sunday.

• Options
    What paces does everyone run? I'm pretty average at right about 10 minutes. I'm glad at least a few people are interested!

• Options
    I run about 7:45 pace right now, but as long as I get some miles in I'm not really too concerned about how fast I go. I run with a group that goes 9 pace, so I'm used to not pushing people to run faster than they want to.

I was thinking a 7am start would be plenty early enough to get in a few miles and have time to get cleaned up and eat before PAX opens.

Also, the Capitol Building (Corner of Park St and Beacon St) is really close to me and Gonexall (at the Parker Omni) and about a half mile from Hilton Downtown. That might be a good landmark to meet at.

• Options
    Those sound like very good and reasonable suggestions! 7AM at the Capitol Building it is then :) Would Saturday or Sunday work better for people?

• Options
    akiboshiakiboshi Registered User regular
    I have some interest in this as well. I have a marathon to train for in Nov and this will help me out. 7AM might be a little tight since I need to take the ferry from the Hyatt across the water to get to central Boston. The ferry lands at 6:40AM and I need to drop my stuff off at the Boston sports club 1 block away from the Capitol Building. Don't want to hold anyone up but I might be little late. Fri-Sun work for me. For 6+ miles I'm probably around 10. Perhaps we can exchange cells to keep in touch?

• Options
    Yes, once we get closer, I'd love to exchange cell information to make it easier to coordinate. With different paces and whatnot, I'm sure we can figure something out so anyone who wants to join can participate. What marathon are you doing in November? I'm thinking of *maybe* going for a first marathon this fall / winter as well. My neighbor is twisting my arm, haha.

I can't tell you how happy it makes me to see responses from people! :D

• Options
    agreatrandomagreatrandom Wizard Outside BostonRegistered User regular
    I would HIGHLY recommend running along the Esplanade or through the Boston Public Garden.

5rOQuX4.png

Design Wizard, Pizza Enthusiast, Craft Beer Extraordinare from MA
  • Options
    cadmia wrote: »
    What marathon are you doing in November? I'm thinking of *maybe* going for a first marathon this fall / winter as well. My neighbor is twisting my arm, haha.

NYC marathon. Might as well give it a shot. For me it's being able to say I ran at least one in my lifetime.

Perhaps this can be a multiday thing. The convention doesn't open until 10 anyway. I just hope BSC lets me in else I have no place to shower afterwards!!!

• Options
    Don_MekaDon_Meka Southeast PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I REALLY want to do this. I'm a former highschool track "star" and still an avid runner. Problem is I gotta take the subway to/from the convention where I'm staying. So I don't want to take all that time taking a train ride to meet up with you guys, running, then train ride back, shower, then train ride back to the convention for PAX stuff.

• Options
    ClixClix This guy I know Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Wish I could make time to join you guys, I've been stuck using a treadmill since November. But I know that PAX will take up pretty much every waking moment for the weekend, and I'll probably still manage to get at least 15 miles just from walking.

• Options
    Don_Meka wrote: »
    I REALLY want to do this. I'm a former highschool track "star" and still an avid runner. Problem is I gotta take the subway to/from the convention where I'm staying. So I don't want to take all that time taking a train ride to meet up with you guys, running, then train ride back, shower, then train ride back to the convention for PAX stuff.

I have the same dilemma but I'm going to bring my clothes with me in a gym bag and will lock it up at the nearby Boston Sports Club. When done, will take a shower there, grab some breakfast, then hit up the BYOC at 8AM.

Are we still only shooting for Sat/Sun? Or is Fri/Sat/Sun okay? I'd be happy to run all three days. I need the miles

• Options
    I don't think we've officially decided on a day yet, but it's open for discussion! I'll pull together a private message for those interested in the next week or so where we can exchange contact information. That way we can accomdate as many as possible.

I'm personally up for 2 maybe 3 days, depending on how tired I am.

• Options
    I'm flying in on Thursday, so I'll be around to run on Fri, Sat, and Sun

• Options
    Welp, going to need to change my plans to get there. Looks like I was looking at the ferry the wrong way. Will drive to south parking lot at BCEC and run over to the Capitol Building.

• Options
    MateomanMateoman Registered User regular
    As an avid runner and an avid gamer, this thread is kind of awesome to me haha. I'd love to join, but I'm a local who lives in Medford, and would be nowhere near the BCEC until I arrive in con attire. Are there any locals in a similar situation from the Cambridge/Somerville/Medford area that are attending the con and might like to meet up in Davis/Porter/Harvard Squares for a pre-PAX run? It'd be a good excuse to make sure I get up early haha.

• Options
    So we are finalizing the details on the pax runners group. Just bumping this thread in case anyone missed it and wanted to join.

Currently looks like 7am meetup on Friday for a short run and a longer one on Sunday.

• Options
    imnotalawyerimnotalawyer Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    I might be in for a Sunday run, depending on how crazy things get at the ASUS party. I am staying at the Seaport.

Out of curiosity, I am an avid runner but definitely still in hibernation mode... what pace/distance are we thinking?

imnotalawyer on
    faPgNTD
  • Options
    My sense is to accommodate the group, we'll be at a slower pace -Although you're of course welcome to run at whatever is comfortable for you. We are planning on a shorter Friday run and a longer Sunday run.

• Options
    Thank you so much for everyone's interest, and especially @hdctambien and @akiboshi for joining me Sunday morning! We had a nice 7 mile run along Boston's esplanade - Beautiful weather and great company. I hope more people join us next year!

• Options
    Thanks to both of you. I should've been more careful with my energy levels before pushing so far with no food and a long break from running. Not to mention I was eating junk the entire weekend. It was really fun though!