As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Superman: Doomsday

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited September 2007
    they can't use superboy

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I thought of that, and it made me wonder if they could just get around it by not using the Superboy name. He could just as easily be referred to as Kon-El, Conner, or "the Kid". Or just introduced as a fully grown clone. Or a clone that degenerates into a Bizarro. Any kind of clone or young heroic upstart co-opting Superman's legacy would work. Heck, Superboy originally referred to himself as Superman until someone else renamed him, so all you really need is a young-looking Superman, and Superman and the Legion of Superheroes has shown that presents no legal problems.

Munch on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited September 2007
    But they don't even show Connor's S symbol fully in the comics anymore, so I don't think they could get away with it in a movie with both an adult and young superman

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    You want it to look like a mid-90's Marvel cartoon.

Munch.

I know we've been through a lot together.

But you're dead to me.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited September 2007
    I had a bit of an "Oooh, Superboy!" moment when I saw the cloning tanks. Stupid lawsuits.

DMAC on
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I really really liked this.

I'm loving all of these straight to dvd movies so far.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Anyone know when this is available on Charter ON Demand? I have Charter, but so far only Time Warner cable and one other provider offer it. (I know I could just rent/get on xbox, but I get On Demand Pay per View for free a few times a month, and this is worth that)

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    DraXXXenDraXXXen Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Loved the movie. I was very happy with it deviating from the original source material, as it seemed much more fresh and offered more surprises. My brothers, not into comics, dug it and an anti-everything DC Marvel boy enjoyed it (all the while muttering under his breath that non of HIS animated movies are good).

Doomsday vs tank shell = win!

DraXXXen on
    donutMachine.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Did anyone else wonder why Superman didn't just put Doomsday into orbit? Or he could have been like Silver Age Superman and just thrown him into the age of dinosaurs.

DMAC on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Every comic should follow the formula of "villian arrives, hero finds villian, villian is in dead in space."

I'm gonna do this.

Yes.

I am getting out a notepad right now.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
  • Options
    bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I am halfway through, and have had to pause it for a moment to roffle at Kevin Smith's cameo.

:D

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Most comic book movies end with the villain falling from a great height/being impaled due to their own greed/hubris.

DMAC on
  • Options
    DraXXXenDraXXXen Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    DMAC wrote: »
    Did anyone else wonder why Superman didn't just put Doomsday into orbit? Or he could have been like Silver Age Superman and just thrown him into the age of dinosaurs.

Superman owed alot of people money in Metropolis, so the best bet was to slam Doomsday into the ground like a nuke from orbit and hope for the best. It's the only way to be sure.

Also....the building he threw Doomsday into: totally an orphanage.....with a kitten pet store on the ground floor....run by nuns....whom were about to cure cancer....using suicide girls.

Superman's a dick.

DraXXXen on
    donutMachine.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, I was laughing about that when I watched it. Superman saving Lois and Jimmy by throwing Doomsday into an entire building.

DMAC on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    DraXXXen wrote: »
    DMAC wrote: »

Superman owed alot of people money in Metropolis, so the best bet was to slam Doomsday into the ground like a nuke from orbit and hope for the best. It's the only way to be sure.

Also....the building he threw Doomsday into: totally an orphanage.....with a kitten pet store on the ground floor....run by nuns....whom were about to cure cancer....using suicide girls.

Superman's a dick.

.....win

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Return of the Joker had moments like that, too.

Remember when that giant laser destroyed half of gotham just chasing Terry around?

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Superheroes know exactly where all the condemned buildings are, and they make sure to only smash those ones.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    i have not read this thread yet!

just picked up doomsday today, about to watch it, I hope it's good

edit - the futureshop exclusive up here was a lousy trading card but it does also have a cool holographic type cover that changes as you look at it from different angles

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    OK, so my biggest complaint is the same I have for all DCAU stuff, there wasn't enough of it. Indeed, I fear there may never be enough. Especially Batman Beyond.

I really loved all the little details, like the Braniac skull in the fortress and the lightning's effect on the clone's coloration (lol, Bizzaro), not to mention Lex's massive goddamn bag of issues in the "rumpus room" scene.

Oh, and it's pretty refreshing to see a super-human take out a load of planes and helicopters in the DCAU without every single goddamn dude safely bailing out.

Quick question: was the scene with the big rig near the start of Doomsday's rampage taken from the comic? I seem to recall a very similar scene in an episode of Heroes where Sylar was the antagonist?

bobgorila on

Anally.
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    HOLY CRAP so i'm halfway through but 2 things have alreayd stood out in my mind as unexpected/really good
    when lex kills mercy
    that came out of nowhere and was really well done and
    when fake supes drops toyman
    really well done, good way to introduce how he's different

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Wow... awesome movie. I really liked Anne Heche as Lois, thought she did a great job.
    Although when Supes flew Doomsday into space, I really thought he was doing it to get him away from people that could be hurt (this was right after he almost killed the little girl, right?). So when he started back down, I expected him to put him somewhere other than a densely populated area that would be turned into a huge crater. Whatever, I know it needed to be in Metropolis for Lois to get to him. Really a kickass movie.

P.S. Supes cheeks - wha?
    Lex's rumpus room - yes.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The movie was pretty good, though I thought the death of superman was not very climactic.

It was a surprisingly brutal movie too. I really want them to make an Identity Crisis movie. Aren't they making a New Frontier movie?

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
  • Options
    Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Aren't they making a New Frontier movie?

Yes. It's the next one up. Followed by Judas Contract.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Jericho: The Mutton Chop Contract

DMAC on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    The movie was pretty good, though I thought the death of superman was not very climactic.

It was a surprisingly brutal movie too. I really want them to make an Identity Crisis movie. Aren't they making a New Frontier movie?

There's no way they could make an Identity Crisis movie without having a bunch of movies before it to establish characters

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    RedeemerRedeemer Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Bad Karma wrote: »
    Aren't they making a New Frontier movie?

Yes. It's the next one up. Followed by Judas Contract.

And then I assume Wonder Woman, wooooo

Also an Identity Crisis movie would be weird and a downer

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    re: Identity Crisis

jesus fuck no.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Jordyn wrote: »
    The Justice League isn't in it because it's a fucking Superman movie. Ok? Fuck.

My memory of the original comic's fuzzy at best(haven't seen the movie yet, because no one seems to have it up for rent), but didn't the Justice League(or some group or other) show up to take over for/back up Superman at one point during the fight?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Jordyn wrote: »
    re: Identity Crisis

jesus fuck no.

Jordyn let's be e-friends.

Personally I'd like to see Batman: Snow animated, just to see how Timm would translate Fisher's very fluid, detailed art. But I think Mr. Freeze's origin has been done to death by now.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Keith wrote: »

There's no way they could make an Identity Crisis movie without having a bunch of movies before it to establish characters

I would love that.

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
  • Options
    robocop is bleedingrobocop is bleeding Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Watched it last night. Two thumbs up! I guess when they decided to make it PG13, they tried to make is as PG13 as possible. Seriously, what are the life insurance rates like in Metropolis?

I'm looking forward to New Frontier. Once they exhaust all the not-quite-DCAU options, I really, really hope they do Red Son.

robocop is bleeding on

Waitsing.jpg
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I was watching the documentary on the Death of Superman storyline last night and I realized this morning that they did not show any pictures of Superboy from the storyline. Reading through this thread I've noticed some stuff about a lawsuit? What's all this then?

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The movie was great and I recommend it to any comic fan, but there are some minor problems I had with it.
    Superman's and many other's chins were horrible looking. Superman looked like he was 50 or something. I hated the non-whited eye's of certain characters, most notibly Superman. The art direction was good for the most part, but these few minor things were really distracting to me.

The fight with Doomsday had Superman acting...a bit odd. Doomsday is attacking Lois and Jimmy's helicopter, so Superman flies up to save them. What does he do with Doomsday? Throws him into a 10 story building, destroying the entire building to save 2 people. That seemed...counterproductive to saving lives. Finally, the actual ending had him fly Doomsday up into space, why didnt he just fling him away? He was obviously trying to kill him, so why bring him back to Earth where he could potentially survive the impact? It's nit picking, but it immediately came to mind for me. It was a really awesome final moment for that fight though, despite my concerns about the reasons for it.

Also, with his death, Lex has him back in like 3 weeks time? The entire city looks fine though. Wheres the huge smoking crater from Supe/Dooms fight? And why didnt Superman angle his reentry to Earth by like .05 degrees or something and avoid smacking down in the middle of the city?

Last nitpick and biggest complaint is the lack of emotional impact his death had. He's dead and back in like 5 minutes and it robs the death or the impact the months of "is he coming back?" stuff the comic version had. And the final words were different than in the comics. It should have been something like, "Doomsday...is he?" or some variation. While the version they used was similar, it didnt have the same impact as Superman showing the concern for the world, wondering if the monster was defeated. When he dies in the comic, its like once Lois told him it was okay, he could let go. It's a comic fan nerd rage thing, but I had to bring it up.

However, the fighting was really well done in my opinion. Stuff like Doomsday running and dragging Superman along was really great to see in motion. Another thing I enjoyed was Superman's heat vision in the fight. The sound effect and animation made it seem so powerful, specifically when he hits Doomsday in the subway wiht it. Every other cartoon just makes it comes off as weak and just light show. This version for some reason made it seem like this huge power he was holding back unleashed every time he used it.

Loved the Toyman scene as well. The Kevin Smith part about the Giant Spiders was a great throwback to his Evening with Kevin Smith reveal on what one of the plans for the Superman movie was going to be. It cuaght me by surprise and gave me a good laugh.

Movie is worth it just to watch the Doomsday fight in my opinion. Marsters is a great Lex and that Mercy scene was fantastic. Only downside was his character design. The broad chested version from other Timm versions is my definitive cartoon version. This one was good, but not as good as the other one.

Definitely worth a rent for any comic fan though. I'm quite pleased with having bought it and thats the best compliment I can give it.

Not sure the full details on Superboy lawsuit, but basically someone else owns the rights, Shooster family or someone maybe? Since they coudlnt get the rights, they arent allowed to reference the name or use it anymore. They killed off one Superboy because of it and the Superboy Prime from Infinite Crisis has been renamed Superman Prime and is typically referred to as Prime in Sinestro Corps War in Green Lantern.

KVW on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I was watching the documentary on the Death of Superman storyline last night and I realized this morning that they did not show any pictures of Superboy from the storyline. Reading through this thread I've noticed some stuff about a lawsuit? What's all this then?
    Wikipedia wrote:
    The Superboy character is currently the subject of a legal battle between Time Warner, the owner of DC Comics, and the estate of Jerry Siegel. The Siegel estate claims that the original "Superboy" character published by DC Comics is an independent creation that used ideas from Jerry Siegel's original rejected pitch and was created without his consent.[34]

On April 4, 2006, Federal judge Ronald S. W. Lew issued a summary judgment ruling that Jerry Siegel's heirs had the right to revoke their copyright assignment to Superboy and had successfully reclaimed the trademark to the name as of November 17, 2004. Warner Bros. replied that it "respectfully disagrees" with the ruling and will appeal.[35] Since the ruling, the name "Superboy" has rarely been used in print to refer to any version of the character.

On July 27, 2007, the courts ruled in favor of Warner Bros' decision to appeal the previous ruling and dismissed some of the Siegel estate's claims about the Superboy character

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So I bit the bullet and watched it on demand.

I absolutely loved Anne Heche Lois Lane more than I thought I would.

Like, she was my favorite voice.

Everyone else did their job and did it pretty swell.

The brutality made me happy and everything was pretty awesome.

It took me about ten minutes to adjust/buy into the voices, and I never really got used to the cheek lines, but I am not going to bitch about them endlessly.

The dialog in the beginning took a turn for the grating/annoying but soon evened itself out after about 15 minutes, and I had no other gripes other than:
    Kevin Smith's cameo with Toyman was a pretty lame joke. Didn't laugh. I know it's about Evening with Kevin Smith, but it could have been better. So much better. Highly disappointed. I was hoping his cameo would be during the scene where they are reflecting on what he meant after he died. All ranting about how Superman kicked a giant spider's ass.

But that's just me.

Probably won't buy it though.

Then again, I never really liked the Death/Return of Superman gobbledygook other than Reign of Supermen.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    You know who's voice was annoying?

Mercy.

But that's just because I loved Drawn Together, so all I could think about was Foxxy Love.

bobgorila on

Anally.
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    That is superboy stuff is just like Neil Gaiman claiming that he is owed royalty for the characters he brought into the Spawn series. As far as I am concerned, the original author owns the entire universe that he creates and any subsequent characters added by other authors to that universe.

I am going to be royally pissed if I never see the word Superboy in a comic again. And I don't even like Superboy.

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm watching it right now.

It's so good.

"Oh hell."

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I would not mind seeing this movie

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    bobgorila wrote: »
    You know who's voice was annoying?

Mercy.

But that's just because I loved Drawn Together, so all I could think about was Foxxy Love.

I thought it was Shannon Doherty for most of the movie.

KalTorak on