As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Finally a new [Android] Thread

• Options
    MercadeMercade Registered User regular
    Posting from my shiny new S5. Coming from a 4S, all I can say is dat screen.

Switch: SW-1909-0466-9585
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    Two questions:

1) can I change the background Themer downloads overlay on? Bugs the crap out of me that is t doesn't match the lock screen.

2) anyone know of a universal inbox app with an 'unread' counter? I'm using K-9 right now and none of the Themer widgets seem to work with it.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    Two questions:

1) can I change the background Themer downloads overlay on? Bugs the crap out of me that is t doesn't match the lock screen.

2) anyone know of a universal inbox app with an 'unread' counter? I'm using K-9 right now and none of the Themer widgets seem to work with it.

You can change the wallpaper of any Themer themes, if that's what you're asking. I don't remember how offhand, though, but I definitely did it. I think it involved editing the theme itself and changing the wallpaper, though you can also just try a long press on the homescreen and see what pops up.

I couldn't figure out a way to do the Themer widget with K-9, so I just put an unread widget on my home screen. This is what it looked like:

FzOXLNn.png

Basically the Themer widget was my gmail account and K-9 was my Yahoo accounts.

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    My wife got a S5 yesterday.

The IR blaster is awesome.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    This is interesting. I can't receive texts from one friend. We can call each other. They can receive my texts.

But I don't get anything from them.

what on earth?

oh uh I have a G2.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Is he on an iPhone and did you recently change to Android from iOS?

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    I've had a similar problem with my S3 texting to someone with an original HTC One.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    I don't know any way to properly do an unread count for an email app besides Gmail in Themer or Zooper Widget, and God knows I've tried. I followed this guide combining Zooper Widget and Tasker and it doesn't work, the whole thing operates smoothly if I "play" it through Tasker but when I actually get an email nothing happens.

For those of us who have both Gmail AND a work email set up in the stock email app on our phones, this is damned frustrating. The work email is honestly the one far more likely to have urgent, time-sensitive messages in it and it's the one I can't get an unread count for... whereas Zooper will happily tell me I have 253 pointless messages from LinkedIn or LivingSocial in my Gmail at any given time (since you can't make it count only the primary section of your inbox).

Gaslight on
  • Options
    Delmain wrote: »
    Is he on an iPhone and did you recently change to Android from iOS?

Not on an iphone. We've used both of our phones successfully for months prior to this. Then just one day nothing.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Are you both using Hangouts or something else? Maybe his is defaulting to your Google account or something instead of just sending a regular text?

Have him try adding your mobile as a new contact.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    I tried to install one of those SMS apps that takes over your default texting. Go PRO SMS or something.

The texts came through. I switched back to the default messenger and they stopped again.

what on earth.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    From the Home screen, tap Messaging.
    Press Menu.
    Tap Settings.
    Tap Spam message.
    Tap Spam numbers.
    Tap on the Trash can icon.
    Check the desired number(s) that you would like to remove.
    Tap Delete.

Accidentally registered the number as spam. Whoops!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ASUS wat r u doin

http://androidandme.com/2014/06/news/asus-launches-slew-of-new-android-devices-at-computex/
    The final device is ASUS’ Transformer Book V, the oddest mashup to date. The Transformer Book V can act as an Android tablet, Windows tablet, Android laptop, Windows laptop or Android smartphone. Yeah, you read that correctly.

ASUS-Transformer-Book-V.jpg

The Transformer Book V has a 12.5-inch display on the tablet part, 128GB storage, and a “next-generation Intel processor.” When docked with the laptop/keyboard attachment, the storage jumps up to 1TB. Software-wise, we’re looking at Android 4.4 KitKat and Windows 8.1, which you can switch between in either tablet or laptop mode. The Transformer Book V also brings a 5-inch smartphone with a quad-core Intel processor and LTE support. Basically, the Transformer Book V is a smartphone that docks into a tablet that docks into a keyboard and the tablet can dual-boot both Android and Windows. This is either the greatest thing ever or the biggest flop ever.

I have to give credit where credit is due, some Voltron-fanboy engineer must have had a set of cast-iron balls to get this idea through a pitch meeting with company execs.

• Options
    Well.

We can make it.

So, fuck it.

Make it.

• Options
    I have to admit there is a part of me that thinks this is a cool idea. The notion of never needing to carry multiple devices (I go to work with a smartphone, tablet, and laptop) because all my devices are the same device (sort of) has some appeal.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    That

is

AMAZING.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    So, is there any way to load icon packs without using a 3rd party launcher? I'm still learning my way through Android

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    So my phone opens PDF files with Polaris Office.

I can't seem to find a shortcut to launch Office, and if I want to read something in multiple sittings then the only solution is to open it from the Downloads folder. Is this right?

Alternatively, is there a go-to document reader app that people recommend?

• Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    For PDFs, I use ezPDF reader. I think it'll also remember where you were reading last.

工事中
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    So, is there any way to load icon packs without using a 3rd party launcher? I'm still learning my way through Android
    not really, but nova launcher is amazing anyways

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Also, my provider does a thing where if you buy spotify premium over the provider store page, any spotify data usage is 100% excluded from your regular limit, going so far as to give you full LTE speeds in spotify even if you're over your data cap elsewhere.

This is is me like a few minutes after I activated that
    umjl9IA.jpg
    and this is my data usage
    bzwavmU.jpg

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    See, something like that would get me to actually pay for and use things like Play Music and Spotify.

Is that related to the Net Neutrality thing? Otherwise how do they know what is Spotify traffic?

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    not really, but nova launcher is amazing anyways

Third party launchers are almost always the way to go. I have never actually seen a phone with a better default launcher then the best third party but I am willing to allow that it might exist. They usually give way more customization options and improved performance over the default for a nice added bonus. Also I second the Nova launcher recommendation.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    The only reason I'm using the default launcher on my Nexus 5 is "OK Google." Is there a non-root way to get that in Nova?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    Without rooting it, I don't believe so. Rooted and with Xposed, there's a module that'll allow you to do it in third party launchers (hell, even from some OEM launchers).

• Options
    Oh, there's an Xposed module now? Last time I looked there wasn't... Hmm, now might be the time to kick it and use Nova. I picked it up on the 25 cent sale years ago and only used it on my Note, I've been stock on the N5 because of that audio command.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Cokebotle wrote: »
    For PDFs, I use ezPDF reader. I think it'll also remember where you were reading last.

I'm sold

Thanks!

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Oh, there's an Xposed module now? Last time I looked there wasn't... Hmm, now might be the time to kick it and use Nova. I picked it up on the 25 cent sale years ago and only used it on my Note, I've been stock on the N5 because of that audio command.

Related: http://goo.gl/EEKO4E

Mugsley on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    What do people use for jotting down little notes and grocery lists and such on their phone?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    What do people use for jotting down little notes and grocery lists and such on their phone?

That's a good question. I was using Springpad but probably not correctly so it seemed a little clunky. I also got an email recently saying Springpad is shutting down so I'm going to need to find an alternative. Big bonus points if it can be synced with another person.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    You can used a shared file in GDrive or Evernote that would work. For lists like that I just use pen and paper.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    I use Gnotes but functionally usually just end up taking a picture of a physical list.

• Options

Related: http://goo.gl/EEKO4E

That was unlikely.

Unless you are that guy.

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    You can used a shared file in GDrive or Evernote that would work. For lists like that I just use pen and paper.

Pen and paper? That's like a baby's toy!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    tsmvengy wrote: »

S note.

• Options
    Springpad article on LH: http://lifehac.kr/jSAznPU

And no I'm not the Xposed module guy; I follow the XDA Twitter account and the article popped up about 5 mins before I posted the link.

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    I use Google Keep for notes and lists and it's served me pretty well so far.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    wunderlist works pretty well for shopping lists etc

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    I just use a blank doc in my google drive called "Notes".

It's got bullet points turned on.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »
    I use Google Keep for notes and lists and it's served me pretty well so far.

Here too. Simple but got the syncing and works well enough. So I'm sure they'll drop it soon.

This discussion has been closed.