As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Halo 3 launch flyer

ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Artist's Corner
I designed a flyer for the band that is playing our local Halo 3 launch. It was thrown together on short notice, but I kinda dig it.
stale-o-three-flyer.jpg

Let me know what you guys think.

ManonvonSuperock on

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Grunt whaling on a guitar. What's not to like?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    its pretty neat, and not a bad job for something that had to be done quickly

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    MarloMarlo Registered User new member
    edited September 2007
    That's awesome.

Marlo on
  • Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Awesome, I'm saving to print off and put in gaming room :P

Sure I live nowhere near Haitiesburg, but hell if a grunt with a guitar ain't sweet.

Wezoin on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Reminds me of
    swrock.jpg

If you can do a quick and easy background (maybe just a spotlight or something) I think it could add a lot of depth to the composition.

Brolo on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Rolo wrote: »
    If you can do a quick and easy background (maybe just a spotlight or something) I think it could add a lot of depth to the composition.

Yes.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Kern the giant gap between 9 and . in 9.24.07.
    Remove the first hyphen in the phone number and replace the second with a dash.

supabeast on
  • Options
    JeakJeak Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    To be brutally honest the flier itself looks like an example of how not to do a layout.

Your elements seem randomly placed, you've used five separate fonts (not including logo's) and a ton of white space. You've got too much leading in some places ("gamestop") and not enough in others (the rest of the address). You need to kern the date and url at the bottom. Information that is less important (the address, phone number of Gamestop) is less prominent than important information like the date and time.

Before you start designing you need to sit down and write down the elements on the page, then decide which are the most important and which should (if possible) go together. Then sketch out a layout.

If you brought most of the text elements to the top (minus the "gamestop" text), you'd be able to make a block of similar elements and make a much simpler and pleasing composition. It would also make it easier to read. One possibility would be;

Finish the Fight, 9.24.07, 10pm
    with Stale Fashion (Free Concert - overlapping Stale Fashion)
    www.myspcae.com/stalefashion (small)

You could then almost double the size of the grunt if you didn't mind loosing the top of his armour underneath "Stale Fashion" and having the gamestop text running over his feet.

Jeak on
  • Options
    Doctor PainDoctor Pain Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    make some kind of a background, that things desperately needs something to piece it all together.

Doctor Pain on
    I FUCKING HATE SIGNATURES.
  • Options
    ShiboeShiboe Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Rolo wrote: »
    Reminds me of
    swrock.jpg

Thank you for the new background. =D

Shiboe on
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Like other people said, it needs a background or something to tie it together. It looks too flat.

NibCrom on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    thanks for the advice, especially jeak. obviously i'm not going to rework this flyer, as the event is already over, but it gives me info to consider for upcoming ones.

And just to throw it out, the drummer of the band asked me to do the flyer for him based on a pic that i drew for him for christmas last year. He's in the Master Chief armor, the other two guys from the comic I previously posted about. It was printed at 16" x 9" and matted in black just at the top and bottom of a 16" x 20" frame to simulate a widescreen image letterboxed in a 3x4 format, like a television. the bloodspray was actually printed as a glossy sticker, cut out and glued on, extending on to the mat itself. the web address at the bottom and the logo at the top were not included in the printed version, later added for use as a wallpaper. spoiler'd for H scroll:
    halo612.jpg

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    furiousNUfuriousNU Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    listen to jeak because he's right. Your organization of text needs work.

Before putting the text and illustration together you need to write down all the text you are using and figure out which is information is most important and what information goes together.

Typically, date/time/location goes together

Fancy slogans like "Finish the fight with stale fashion" goes together in one block. I'd also consider making the band website in a smaller font, it's not that important for the viewer to see.

You also probably should have mentioned "Halo 3" in the poster. Don't ever assume your viewers automatically know stuff.

You also need to figure out text sizing priorities and spacing piorities, usually all text is 25/50/75 percent smaller than the largest font on the poster.

Try to have one consistent font+w/e brand logos you need to use and limit it at that.

The illustration is nice.

furiousNU on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    listen to jeak because he's right.

yeah, i thought the fact that i was taking his advice and acknowledging the usefullness and accuracy of said advice was made clear with my very specific 'thanks' given to him for it.

The text layout is atrocious, I admit, and half-assedly thrown together. Jeak managed to point out specifically why, which was good.

If I had more time, I would have put in a background, and dropped it in a light greyscale. I could have at least put in a shadow from the character as if it were cast on the ground at his feet to give him a place in space, though.

I didn't mention halo 3 because the flyer was intended to bring in people that normally wouldn't go to a game store. The people that play the game would recognize the character and the finish the fight line. I was hoping everyone else would see it as 'some creature playing guitar'. This was to get people to see the band, as opposed to go buy halo, thinking the mention of it being the halo launch would discourage people from coming if they weren't planning on picking up the game.

ManonvonSuperock on