As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help me identify this small animal

physi_marcphysi_marc Positron TrackerIn a nutshellRegistered User regular
edited July 2014 in Help / Advice Forum
I found this little animal in my basement this morning (spoiler'ed for large images):
photo%201.jpg
photo%202.jpg
photo%203.jpg

It was eating my cats' dry food. It had no visible ears or eyes and it seemed to be using its sense of smell a lot to get around (it would raise its nose in the air and move it around similar to what moles do). I also noticed an unpleasant smell. I caught it (my cats were intrigued, but completely uninterested in hunting it) and released it away from my house, near a creek.

Does anyone know what it is? From my Googling, it seems like it might be a vole or a shrew. I'm leaning towards a Northern short-tailed shrew because of the similar short, furry tail, its lack of visible ears, its very small eyes, and the smell. This specimen seemed smaller than 10 cm, though (or maybe I'm really bad at estimating size).

Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
physi_marc on

• Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    Vole or shrew looks right to me

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Given that it looks exactly like a short tailed shrew, I'd say that's what you got.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    It's a shrew!

Tame it!

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    daaaawwwwwwwwwww

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Maybe have a look around the basement, and try to see where it got in. You'll want to seal that up ASAP unless you want more little woodland critters in your basement.

Rodents can squeeze into very very small spaces, so keep that in mind. If you see an opening and think "there's no way it could have come in through that" you're probably wrong.

Steel wool plugs holes pretty well, as most rodents can't chew through it.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    HollerHoller Registered User regular
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Steel wool plugs holes pretty well, as most rodents can't chew through it.
    make sure it's the heavy duty stuff too, the fine stuff doesn't do anything.

• Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Yeah, I have an idea where it came in from, but I'm not sure how to reach those areas and seal them up. I'll have to think about this and possibly get outside help.

physi_marc on
    Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc