Options

Activision resurrects the SIERRA Brand...?

• Options
    frenetic_ferretfrenetic_ferret wildest weasel East Coast is Best CoastRegistered User regular
    C2B wrote: »
    Goumindong wrote: »

Truthfully the games themselves don't hold up so well either

Eh, depends on the game. Kings Quest VI is still pretty good.

Also IMO, I prefer sprites (lots of charm). High Quality sprites are pretty costly though so its understandable if they don't do them. Handdrawn backgrounds are still the best though and are still done at times. (Should be done more as well)

And of course animations were pretty great.

*Insert any sprite based fighting game*

Fighting games have an unfair advantage when it comes to sprite though, the vast majority of them are anime style. You've also got a limited amount of backgrounds and characters to deal with.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »

A King's Quest game from the folks who brought us PB Winterbottom? I mean, I've heard worse ideas.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    I have a red ball

I have a length of rope

This door is GOING to become unlocked!

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »
    I have a red ball

I have a length of rope

You forgot to empty the chamber pot though. So as soon as you unlock the door, the wizard opens it up and kills you.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »
    Bedlam wrote: »
    I have a red ball

I have a length of rope

You forgot to empty the chamber pot though. So as soon as you unlock the door, the wizard opens it up and kills you.

The chamber pot of course, being in the 3rd room you saw in the game, and the door is 29 hours into it, just before the final encounter.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    RubycatRubycat Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    You spend more time falling off the mountain on the way down than actually playing kings quest 3 (at least the non touched up version).

Rubycat on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: Rubycat3 / NintentdoID: Rubycat
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    Two pages and no Half-Life 3 confirmed jokes? It's SIERRA, maaaaaaaaaaan!

• Options
    frenetic_ferretfrenetic_ferret wildest weasel East Coast is Best CoastRegistered User regular
    Crayon wrote: »
    Two pages and no Half-Life 3 confirmed jokes? It's SIERRA, maaaaaaaaaaan!

ORLY!

darleysam wrote: »
    The ancient prophecy is coming true. Source 2 has been seen in the wild, and Sierra has risen from its grave to walk among us again.

The Free Man shall rise.

• Options
    My bad! I just did a ctrl+f of "half" and found nothing. I'll shun myself.

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Gimme Tribes and Cyberstorm

• Options
    Bigity wrote: »

Tribes 1, the fast one like crack that was good, not that Tribes 2 no talent ass clown nonsense.

• Options

Tribes 1, the fast one like crack that was good, not that Tribes 2 no talent ass clown nonsense.

Tribes Vengeance was amazing.

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014

As long as you weren't a macro cheating fool (you can mash the space bar into uselessness like the rest of us) - yes. Though I loved the T2 vehicles.

Bigity on
  • Options
    Crayon wrote: »

Tribes Vengeance was amazing.

Hi5!

But we got Tribes in the F2P model that was actually decent.

You know what? Fuck it, give me Starsiege.

• Options

As long as you weren't a macro cheating fool (you can mash the space bar into uselessness like the rest of us) - yes. Though I loved the T2 vehicles.

Macros existed before and after that game and they've never been cheating. I could do it either way though.

• Options

This can't be real. Activision isn't really...
    Is it?

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Go from "Cautious optimism" to "lol", do not open wallet.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    That's a joke twitter account.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    How did they let that one get past, though?

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Of course it's a joke twitter account, Activision would use Indie Go Go so they could keep the money.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Yup, looks like we're getting a new King's Quest...and a new Geometry Wars?

The Odd Gentlemen, makers of The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom, are making King's Quest.

Lucid Games, a studio with people from Bizarre Creations, is making Geometry Wars 3.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    cautious optimism, ho

the blurb suggests a reasonable framing device to use to remake the first two games, at least.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I would love a remake of Quest for Glory V.

Wait...remake isn't the right word.

Re-do.

What an awful way to end the series after the (albeit buggy) masterpiece that was Quest for Glory IV.

I used to hang out on the AGDI forums (the people who did the wonderful VGA remake of QFG2) and they put out a survey once on what their next game should be. Most people voted for a VGA remake of KQ4, but one of the options on the poll was a QFG5 de-make. Basically redoing it in the style of the other games and with their created-from-scratch and incredible fighting engine they used in QFG2.

Honestly at least QFG5 had lots of things for each character class to do, and lots of ways to customize the ending of your own hero's adventure. QFG3 was just mediocre and basically a giant fuck you to anybody who had the gall to play as a Thief. There was one story-mandated theft in the entire game and no optional thieving missions at all. When doing Thief runs I just get through QFG3 as fast as humanly possible to get through to 4.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Anyway I was never as big a fan of the King's Quest games as I was of QFG or Space Quest. The latter two had actual character beyond references to other media and cliches and far fewer annoying "I am Roberta Williams and I approve this death which you could not possibly have seen coming ahead of time" scenarios.

I think the time when I finally realized how bullshit it was when I was a kid was during King's Quest V, when you have to go through the desert (an extremely dangerous endeavor) to pick up a random boot before you go into town and see a cat chasing a rat (mouse?) and you need to throw the desert boot at the cat on your first time seeing it or else the rat wouldn't come to save you from certain death later. You weren't given any indication that the game had just become unwinnable if you failed to do it exactly right or that the cat/rat would never appear again, or that you needed to do exactly what I just described to solve that future problem, or that running into the cat/rat too early in the game through simple exploration would make every other action you took until your inevitable demise pointless and futile.

And you know what? The deaths in QFG and SQ were at least amusing pretty much every time, and also instantaneous. You could also tell ahead of time that something was going to be a really bad idea. The hovercraft in the first SQ (and the slot machines) were the exception there, but the Two Guys got a lot better about this.

• Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    look. I have a fucking blood eagle tattooed on me. Sierra is dead to me because they killed dynamix. I don't think activision bought back the IP rights from hirez though so I don't think a new tribes is going to happen. If it did though... and it wasn't terrible... I would consider that penance for what they did to my favorite developer.

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    I think the time when I finally realized how bullshit it was when I was a kid was during King's Quest V, when you have to go through the desert (an extremely dangerous endeavor) to pick up a random boot before you go into town and see a cat chasing a rat (mouse?) and you need to throw the desert boot at the cat on your first time seeing it or else the rat wouldn't come to save you from certain death later. You weren't given any indication that the game had just become unwinnable if you failed to do it exactly right or that the cat/rat would never appear again, or that you needed to do exactly what I just described to solve that future problem, or that running into the cat/rat too early in the game through simple exploration would make every other action you took until your inevitable demise pointless and futile.

I forgot all about this part. Holy shit.

The thing I always remember is needing to not eat the pie or give it to someone hungry later. Because you would need it to throw at an attacking Yeti, blinding him and making him fall off a cliff.

• Options
    zhen_roguezhen_rogue Registered User regular
    Sierra you say...!?

Now I have to try and install my Betrayal in Antara on a Win7 machine.
    Anyone have sage advice for this surely frustrating task?
    I need my sierra old-school RPG fix!

• Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »

I forgot all about this part. Holy shit.

The thing I always remember is needing to not eat the pie or give it to someone hungry later. Because you would need it to throw at an attacking Yeti, blinding him and making him fall off a cliff.

Yeah, that's pretty bad too. But the idea that you could just be walking around and exploring your options when a potentially unsolvable (and timed!) puzzle unexpectedly pops up, instantly making the game unwinnable way later because you walked onto the wrong screen without knowing it would happen ahead of time is so much worse to me.

At least you have to actively make the decision to do the wrong thing with the pie. The above situation is triggered by just walking onto a random town screen, and you have no idea that the action taking place is anything more than a random cutscene of a cat chasing a rat.

• Options
    UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura.

Do this Activision, and I will be your baby with its first hit of crack.

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    So basically Sierra will be the label for Activision's smaller, weirder games.

....at least they're making smaller, weirder games, unlike most other AAA studios.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

....at least they're making smaller, weirder games, unlike most other AAA studios.

Well, Sony's been big on it lately. The other console makers also do it, as well. Ubisoft has also started doing it. It's definitely catching on.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Zython wrote: »

Well, Sony's been big on it lately. The other console makers also do it, as well. Ubisoft has also started doing it. It's definitely catching on.

Those are pretty much the two. (Well, Nintendo's doing some, not sure about Microsoft.) I'd love for it to catch on, but it's not quite the norm for the AAA space yet.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    It's kind of a shame that Sierra died when it did, they had finally figured out how not to make adventure games with dead ends, while still maintaining the usual amount of random, amusing death sequences.

• Options
    jothki wrote: »
    It's kind of a shame that Sierra died when it did, they had finally figured out how not to make adventure games with dead ends, while still maintaining the usual amount of random, amusing death sequences.

Well, we had to wander in the first-person shooter wilderness for a while.

The ultra-brown-and-gray, "realistic", terrible wilderness.

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Zython wrote: »

Those are pretty much the two. (Well, Nintendo's doing some, not sure about Microsoft.) I'd love for it to catch on, but it's not quite the norm for the AAA space yet.

Microsoft has Ori and Dust. It's not much, but Ori looks good and Dust was fantastic. I'm sure Bethesda will start doing it eventually. EA and the Japanese AAA publishers are probably going to keep pushing hard on mobile, however.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    It's an old book series, and Raymond E. Feist would need to get involved, but I would kill for a remastering of Betrayal at Krondor/Return to Krondor.

90% of the characters in the game aren't even relevent anymore in his Midkemia universe, but who cares. I wants it.

Goddamn I would love to see Betrayal at Krondor again. The riddle treasure chests, the weird ass combat system... that game was so much fun.

• Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    Not sure how i feel about the winterbottom developer doing King's Quest. They haven't exactly wowed me yet with adventures.

Infamous Quests should get to work on old sierra properties, preferably Quest for Glory.

And Arcanum to Obsidian.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    syndalis wrote: »
    Also, this does not look bad at all, and is possibly the best sprite-based game Sierra ever made:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_CBhRacBag

I am curious how they are going to do the second one. I notice that they went with the GK2 version of Gabriel in this remake. It would be cool if they had the original assets and just render them at high resolution.

GK3 totally needs a redesign and a meatier climax.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    C2B wrote: »
    Not sure how i feel about the winterbottom developer doing King's Quest. They haven't exactly wowed me yet with adventures.

Infamous Quests should get to work on old sierra properties, preferably Quest for Glory.

And Arcanum to Obsidian.

I am getting the vibe they are going to go for more of a puppet/storybook feel with King's Quest. I think they should go in a Grimm's fairy tale kind of direction. It really felt like they wanted to do that with the very last one.

• Options
    Unlucky wrote: »
    Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura.

Do this Activision, and I will be your baby with its first hit of crack.

I totally agree. They could really flesh it out and make every ending have a video.