Options

Law of the Wild [chat]

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Davy, Davy Crockett

King of the Wild Futon

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    Belasco32 wrote: »
    tyrannus wrote: »
    One of these days I'm gonna convince one of the spools to get into accounting

One of us, one of us. .

is the act of counting hard to learn? If I get the boot on the whole priest gig I might just be the one to look into that sorta gig.
    It's as easy as 1,2,3...4,5...etc

I think I can, I think I can....

If you count wrong though you go to prison

• Options
    Belasco32Belasco32 Registered User regular
    Ya know, if you want proof of the patriarchy just look at the state of shaving equipment.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Spool what's all this shaving business

@tyrannus‌

We started using http://www.dollarshaveclub.com

For between $4 and $8 they send you a handle and 4 razors per month. Switch to a new razor style, they send you a new handle for free. Also a sample of their shave butter, which is amazing. Basically they are buying Gillette or whatever razors direct from the factory and selling them before they get branded, so it's a good deal cheaper.

Spool I switched to a safety razor and my face loves me for it. Once I found a razor blade that worked for me I was able to order a pack of 50 for 15 dollars. That pack should last me all year. The initial investment is maybe 15-20 dollars when you buy the safety razor but it's very cost effective.

Plus finding out which razor blade brand works for you is a lot of fun if you buy an assorted pack of different razors. It's wild how different the shave is.

I have had a safety razor for I think 6 or 7 years now

I don't shave every day and when I do it's only my neck not my whole face

but I am still on my first 100 pack of razors

not only is the shave way easier on your skin, but it's outrageously cheaper too

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Neco wrote: »
    oh my goodness it has 98 pieces

i can't.

My futon had to be delivered by movers. It took them 15 minutes to get all of the parts from their truck into my apartment, and then I had to put the whole thing together by myself.

What kind of wild futon do you have?

A big one.

(I downgraded from a 1 bedroom to a studio recently, so I kinda needed something like that. )

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    "ooh, i can add yardwork stuff to my amazon wishlist for my birthday!"

is a thought that went through my head just now

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Neco wrote: »
    *peeks up at my browser tabs*

*sees 3 tabs for this thread open*

Umm...

I once caught myself sitting at my computer browsing the forums on my phone with three forum tabs open on my monitor while my kindle was on the desk also on the forums

In my defense I was on phone forums becasue I'd been outside having a cig

I... I have no defense for the kindle

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    I really want to do this! But I thought I was looking at like $60 or so to get the initial setup. You can get something worthwhile for $20 though?

a merkur hd is ~40, looks like, and should last you forever

razors themselves are dirt cheap, so your guess of $60 is probably right

compare to 15 for a mach3 razor handle and and it looks like 50 cartridges are ~110

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Sinister is on.

i liked that movie.

Fuck the haters.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Ya know, if you want proof of the patriarchy just look at the state of shaving equipment.

Man, y'all don't even need to shave.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    jTUYmIw.png

• Options
    drinkin' coffee in anticipation of an evening of taking @Blameless Cleric‌ and several of her friends to see my brother's band plan one last *tears up* time before she abandons us for a life of debt, ice, and prison cell sized accommodations.

• Options
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    "ooh, i can add yardwork stuff to my amazon wishlist for my birthday!"

is a thought that went through my head just now

Being a grown-up is weird, isn't it?

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular

@tyrannus‌

For between $4 and $8 they send you a handle and 4 razors per month. Switch to a new razor style, they send you a new handle for free. Also a sample of their shave butter, which is amazing. Basically they are buying Gillette or whatever razors direct from the factory and selling them before they get branded, so it's a good deal cheaper.

Spool I switched to a safety razor and my face loves me for it. Once I found a razor blade that worked for me I was able to order a pack of 50 for 15 dollars. That pack should last me all year. The initial investment is maybe 15-20 dollars when you buy the safety razor but it's very cost effective.

Plus finding out which razor blade brand works for you is a lot of fun if you buy an assorted pack of different razors. It's wild how different the shave is.

I really want to do this! But I thought I was looking at like $60 or so to get the initial setup. You can get something worthwhile for $20 though?

In my weird experience yes. It was an impulse buy when I was in Pittsburgh a few months ago. There was a shop dedicated to shaving and hair products and all sorts of stuff like that. Walked in picked up a middle of the road razor for about 20 dollars to see if it would work for me. You can of course upgrade to a more expensive and luxurious safety razor with a pearl handle and all sorts of silly stuff but yeah I absolutely believe that you do not have to shell out 60 dollars to get a serviceable safety razor.

The whole boar bristle and lather etc setup isn't a necessary step. You can add that stuff in later if you find that the safety razor works for you (which i really think it will)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »
    jTUYmIw.png

took me way too long to realize this was a seinfeld joke.

2/10

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    drinkin' coffee in anticipation of an evening of taking "Blameless Cleric"‌ and several of her friends to see my brother's band plan one last *tears up* time before she abandons us for a life of debt, ice, and prison cell sized accommodations.

Don't forget debauchery.

• Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    This catfish soup I made is fucking bangin

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    drinkin' coffee in anticipation of an evening of taking @Blameless Cleric‌ and several of her friends to see my brother's band plan one last *tears up* time before she abandons us for a life of debt, ice, and prison cell sized accommodations.

A thought occurred when I discovered BC was your child, Belasco

And this will likely terrify spool more than you

Now, I haven't double-checked, but I'm pretty sure she'll be closer to me than to you guys

*influences*

• Options
    This catfish soup I made is fucking bangin

i bet you didn't even use live cats.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    jTUYmIw.png

2/10

First panel.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular

It's not that bad.

(it's not that bad)

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

a merkur hd is ~40, looks like, and should last you forever

razors themselves are dirt cheap, so your guess of $60 is probably right

compare to 15 for a mach3 razor handle and and it looks like 50 cartridges are ~110

another example of how it's cheaper to be wealthy. This sort of thing is really amazing and frustrating to me. If I had the $60, I could save so much over the long term and get a better result. But it's easier to drop $10 or $15 at a time once in a while because of the lack of savings.

Speaking of which, I had really encouraging news on the jerb front. A position as an associate director of tech opened up at an episcopal outreach mission here in town. I asked our new priest if he knew anyone I could talk to over there, and it turns out he was on the board of directors until just recently. Hopefully that's a strong enough connection to get me onto the top of their list!

• Options
    KNarrawayKNarraway Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    it probably tastes fine, it's just not bbq

it's dipping food in bbq sauce

i don't understand how it'd be not bbq. it could very well be bbq in every way- and then if you want you dip your meat into some sauce or pour the sauce on top. i mean, if someone made me some bbq chicken on the grill where they basted it with sauce, it would not cease to be bbq chicken if i used more sauce after it came off the grill

*pushes up culinary nerd glasses*

Actually, barbecue is a very specific cooking technique http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbecue

While you can barbecue on a home barbecue, many people use their BBQ / grill for grilling instead, because it's much faster and less technique-dependent.

there seems to be definite linguistic drift here. i think the common usage is that traditional bbq is smoked whereas 'non-smoked' bbq would be what, grilling while incorporating the traditional flavors of bbq?

hence, hey does anyone wanna come to my bbq almost never means does anyone wanna come watch me smoke meats at 140 degrees for 16 hours

Well no of course not, because your host began smoking the meat 14 hours prior to the time that he asked guests to arrived

My brother is a very serious BBQer

He's not reading this (yet), but when he does

He's gonna be really offended by any implication that a grilled chicken is the same as a barbecued chicken

He may actually post, that's how offended he'll be

Bbq is art. Grilling is physics. Which would you rather have in your mouth, the Mona Lisa or Steven Hawking?

• Options
    also if you start using a safety razor you will have to learn how to shave

what direction the grain of your beard grows on different areas of your face/neck

how to make a nice lather and the importance of keeping lather between your skin and a razor at all times

the angle to hold the razor on the different planes of your face and how much pressure to use

I was real mad my dad didn't teach me anything useful when it came to shaving, just here hold this blue plastic peice of shit and scrape it over your face over and over until the hairs are gone

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Elki wrote: »

what

• Options

I'd agree except that my skin gets uber pissed at me when I don't, plus*...
    my husband much prefers smooth legs, so whatcha gunna do, ya know?
    *and thus I discover my spoiler usage has also changed!

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular

@tyrannus‌

In my weird experience yes. It was an impulse buy when I was in Pittsburgh a few months ago. There was a shop dedicated to shaving and hair products and all sorts of stuff like that. Walked in picked up a middle of the road razor for about 20 dollars to see if it would work for me. You can of course upgrade to a more expensive and luxurious safety razor with a pearl handle and all sorts of silly stuff but yeah I absolutely believe that you do not have to shell out 60 dollars to get a serviceable safety razor.

The whole boar bristle and lather etc setup isn't a necessary step. You can add that stuff in later if you find that the safety razor works for you (which i really think it will)

I just decided to give Harry's a shot because for $10 why not, but I haven't had to buy any shaving stuff in over 3 years since I got my safety razor and one 50 pack of assorted blades. I don't shave very often but I still have probably a third of the blades left.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    @spool32‌

http://www.amazon.com/Shaving-Factory-Double-Safety-Silver/dp/B003A722RE/ref=sr_1_9?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1408924492&sr=1-9&keywords=safety+razor

something like this would get you started. if you buy that and something like this

http://www.amazon.com/FEATHER-Oclock-BLUEBIRD-Blade-Sampler/dp/B007OL72B8/ref=sr_1_2?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1408924622&sr=1-2&keywords=razor+blade+sample+pack

you're good to go and can upgrade as time goes on. the sampler packs are a little bit more expensive but once you figure out which blade works for you the cost diminishes and you'll always have a good shave.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    jTUYmIw.png

2/10

First panel.

I thought Jerry was a common American name.
    Like John or D'Artagnian

• Options
    and while you are learning how to shave you will be exposed to people's fancy creams and oh my god buy some from nancyboy it is the best stuff

I think I bought a jar for @organichu one year for christmas or something

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    One of these days I'm gonna convince one of the spools to get into accounting

One of us, one of us. .

is the act of counting hard to learn? If I get the boot on the whole priest gig I might just be the one to look into that sorta gig.
    It's as easy as 1,2,3...4,5...etc

I wonder what would happen if an account read, and put the years in to understand, Principia Mathematica (the one from the early 1900s not Newton's)

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options

Now, I haven't double-checked, but I'm pretty sure she'll be closer to me than to you guys

*influences*

I'm not worried because you can't breathe on land.

• Options

*influences*

• Options
    and while you are learning how to shave you will be exposed to people's fancy creams and oh my god buy some from nancyboy it is the best stuff

I think I bought a jar for @organichu one year for christmas or something

I need to buy some fancy creams.

mmm now i'm hungry

what

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    drinkin' coffee in anticipation of an evening of taking "Blameless Cleric"‌ and several of her friends to see my brother's band plan one last *tears up* time before she abandons us for a life of debt, ice, and prison cell sized accommodations.

Don't forget debauchery.

Yeah, lots of sex and drugs

Perhaps some rock n roll

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    alt response: your native totems hold no power over us! *evil eye sign*

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

I remember when my parents were all "Hey you should live on campus in a dorm for the experience" when I went back to school at like 24 after living in an apartment for years

it took me good solid five minutes to stop laughing

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I can't fucking wait for electro to be done

I don't think I'm going to throw a party or anything

but it'll be so nice to just fucking done with something I shouldn't have to do anyway.

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular

what direction the grain of your beard grows on different areas of your face/neck

how to make a nice lather and the importance of keeping lather between your skin and a razor at all times

the angle to hold the razor on the different planes of your face and how much pressure to use

I was real mad my dad didn't teach me anything useful when it came to shaving, just here hold this blue plastic peice of shit and scrape it over your face over and over until the hairs are gone

to be fair I do this with a safety razor all the time it and works well enough

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options

this is all the lesson I got too. I am more and more interested in this!

This discussion has been closed.