As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xenonauts] - The true successor to X-Com: UFO Defense (now on Steam Early Access, Desura)

1234568»

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Yeah, one base in the Middle East / Eastern Europe, one in Central America, and one in South China / Indonesia covers pretty much the whole world. I think they should have made bases cheaper, and the maximum radar coverage smaller to encourage you to build more satellite bases.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    Yeah, one base in the Middle East / Eastern Europe, one in Central America, and one in South China / Indonesia covers pretty much the whole world. I think they should have made bases cheaper, and the maximum radar coverage smaller to encourage you to build more satellite bases.

Yeah.

I'm basically doing the same thing every time I play and it makes me realize that the way the remake approached things was probably not a bad idea in the end. Like, I literally lost my first two games with no chance of winning because I underestimated (grossly) how expensive bases were and how little money you can actually get from funding countries (they cap out very quickly). Trying to maintain more than a handful of bases is economic suicide.

First time on veteran I put a base each in the sweet spot in North Africa and the one in Central America? Crushing victory for me, even in the air, despite losing all of the Indochina and so forth region (I didn't get time to build a new base).

New game? Highest difficulty? Easily winning the air war now I know where to put bases.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I think rebalance mods are going to be really popular for this game. Also the map editor comes with the game. I'm pretty sure there are already map packs out there. So what if they aren't random. We'll be able to stock our games with enough quality maps that we'll have plenty of variety. Hate a map? Take it out.

Drake on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I'm playing the game "as is" for the moment because that's what is presented and what they asked me to pay $24.99 US for.

I am certainly going to go and mess with nearly all of the tactical combat values and many of the geoscape values myself (it's easy to do). Especially to find a way to make the "open door, shoot, close door" strategy not the default for assaulting any UFO.

Edit: I am totally going to mod the shit out of this. I had no idea it was actually this ridiculously simple to change basically everything. I want to make the air war more dramatic, but systematically decrease the cost and maintenance of bases to encourage more interesting playstyles.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Just picked this game up.
    It's surprisingly really good for what it is, and by that I mean that it's a tiny indy studio that had absolutely no budget and were completely under cut by the release of Fireaxis' X-com. I was actually keeping pretty close eye on the project up until Fireaxis, the devs were extremely open to community input.

There's a few issues but over all it's fun as hell and has some of that old meat-grinder feel of the old x-com where the best way to build a good team is to send a ton of under equipped goons to their deaths.

Also: FUCK ALIEN INTERCEPTORS!

DanHibiki on