As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A [chat] suitable for [chat]dren

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    One of you must still have Hippie's number.

Can't you find him on the Facebook? His name is super unique.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    @ronya‌

I think you're just testing the wrong thing. You're running 55 picks and expecting to get all the coupons 50% of the time but that's not really what the chart is showing. You're throwing away distribution information from the trials where it would take more than 55 picks.

If you say 50% of the volume of this distribution is below 55, that doesn't mean the expected value of the distribution is 55. Consider a single winner lottery with 1 million entrants and a 1 million dollar prize. The 50th percentile of the distribution is gonna $0, but the expected value of a ticket is still $1.

This code runs the experiment 10 million times to completion and gets close to the exact number of expected draws from the wikipedia chart, minus 1 because the wiki chart is weird and says a 0 coupon collection takes 1 try to collect, a corner case my programming doesn't agree with.
    var numCoupons = 16;

var flags = new Array(numCoupons);
    var allFlagsSet = 0

for(var i = 0; i < numCoupons; i++)
    {
    	flags[i] = (0x01 << i);
    	allFlagsSet = allFlagsSet | flags[i];
    }

var totalDraws = 0;
    var numTrials = 10000000;

for(var i = 0; i < numTrials; i++)
    {
    	var drawFlags = 0;
    	while(drawFlags !== allFlagsSet)
    	{
    		drawFlags = drawFlags | flags[Math.floor(Math.random() * numCoupons)];
    		totalDraws += 1;
    	}
    }

document.write("The expected number of draws to get all coupons is " + (totalDraws/numTrials));

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    The impound lot thing just goes to show that most "Middle Class" Americans are completely ffffuuuuccccckkkkeeeddd

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Kagera wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    This is fucked up.

http://time.com/3182726/if-you-want-to-see-inequality-in-the-u-s-at-its-worst-visit-an-impound-lot/?utm_source=feedburner&amp;utm_medium=feed&amp;utm_campaign=Feed:+time/ideas+(TIME+Ideas)
    If You Want to See Inequality in the U.S. at Its Worst, Visit an Impound Lot

For millions of Americans a towed car can lead to a crippling spiral of stress, debt, joblessness, illness and, in many cases, incarceration.

On a recent San Francisco afternoon, I returned to where I’d parked my car, but it was gone. A “No Parking” sign indicated that parking was prohibited after 3:00 PM on weekends. It was 3:15. I called the telephone number on the sign and a clerk affirmed that my car had been towed to an impound lot.

I took a cab and entered a single-story brick building where a few dozen people were crowded together in a scene that evoked Kafka; weariness, frustration and anger were palpable. Some stood in line, some paced and some sat hunched on the floor. A family huddled in a corner, an infant asleep on the father’s shoulder. A woman on a pay phone wept as she begged whomever was on the line to find money so she could get her car back–she said she needed $875. “I’m gonna lose my job if I’m not there at 5.”

Clerks sat on stools behind Plexiglas. At a window, a man pleaded with an agent, “I have to pick up my kids in less than an hour. What am I supposed to do?” At the next window, another man railed loudly and furiously, yelling, “How the hell am I supposed to get my goddam money if I can’t get to goddam work?” The clerk said, “If you can’t get cash, you can pay by credit card or cashier’s check.” The man shouted, “And if I had a goddam limousine, we wouldn’t be having this conversation.”

A man waiting in line with me told me that he owned a landscaping business that depended on his truck, which had been towed three days earlier. “I can’t work,” he said. “The crew don’t work. Everything I need is in the truck.” It had been towed when he parked in a red zone in front of an auto-parts store. He’d been late to a job and ran into the store to buy a spark plug for a broken lawn mower. He didn’t have money enough that day to pay the $472 towing fee. After the first four hours, charges began accumulating—about $65.00 a day. (They didn’t include the $72 cost of the parking ticket.) He had borrowed $700, which he held near his chest in an envelope. He said it would take “I hope no more than a year” to repay the loan, for which he was being charged 50% of the loan amount. “I had no choice,” he said. He had already lost four days’ income and didn’t know how he was going to pay his bills, including rent, due that week.
    It almost made me agree with J but than I thought it about it and laughed at the notion.

What has J to do with this?

Usually something silly.

Why be a jerk to J out of nowhere?

It's relevant. Yesterday J was talking about the idea of ownership etc and how impounding a car for parking in an unauthorized spot is bad.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular

Is he still making bad decisions about where his penis goes?
    I ...hmmm.

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    ChelleYeah wrote: »
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    @ChelleYeah‌

I caused so much emotional havoc when I tried to sever contact with them.

So much havoc, apparently, that after finding me eventually and attempting to reconcile, they severed contact with me.

*shrugs*

wow... so like you should tell us the whole story lol

we tried to sever contact w/ lud's mom once. she showed up in our hometown the next day (a 3 hour drive from her). it was pretty traumatizing for us.

I managed nearly 4 months without seeing them. When I came back, he was in the process of divorcing my mpther so that he could move in with his new girlfriend.

She has since accused me of stealing her jewellery.

So

Not a lot lost in this morning's events.

A delusional man who thinks he's blameless and faultless, and is incapable of dealing with his reality.

• Options
    ChelleYeahChelleYeah Mrs. Ludious Living it up in Cinderella's CastleRegistered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    From my lovely father this morning:

Brad,

I won't even begin to remind you about the emotional havoc you have caused in this family and to each and everyone of us.

I won't even begin to tally the mess you have made of your own life and the contribution of injuries and scars you have inflicted on each one of us.

You want to consider guilt? Please take a long hard look in the mirror.

Welcome to my world. Huh!

You have no idea what an awful, cruel world it can be.

You can suggest that others are liars....hey....at least we know when we lie...and feel remorse.

Welcome to the real world.

If indeed you seek help like you say you are going to do, you will at some point likely need to make amends with the people you have hurt and alienated. That is a good thing.

I am going to make it easier on your however. Please tell them that your father is dead.

He always was a bit of a drama queen. RIP you coward.

I am so sorry, man. I've been through this with my mom. This is not a reflection of your problems and has nothing to do with your journey to recovery, this is wholly about his own demons and mental illness. I don't need to know the man, or you to know this to be the case.

Thank you, Ludious.

I do have my problems. I've lied, cheated, stole, deceived. I'm aware of my issues, I'm tired of them, and I'm going to deal with them.

But I know sane people don't write their own obituary.

You ain't dead yet, you bastard. You do not yet have my permission to die.

your forum persona seems incapable of being the bastard you describe.

this either indicates that you ARE making progress and should be happy about that - OR that you are a psychopath and can make us believe anything you want us to believe.

i have my eye on you bud. *raises eyebrow*

I post Makeup stuff and Schnauzers on instagram.

I react like a dyslexic crash test dummy. Hit the wall then the brakes.
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    I think the abilify is starting to work. I am still depressed and by no means happy, but I swear to god I am a bit more clear headed and the world literally, and I do mean literally, seems brighter. Like I physically feel like there is more light around me.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    It feels like towing for a first offence is really harsh. I figured towing would be if you come back the next day and the car hasn't budged.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    I think there's room in this world for both a system of disincentivizing illegal parking and not generating huge amounts of waste and pain by shattering people's livelihoods.

• Options

Brad,

I won't even begin to remind you about the emotional havoc you have caused in this family and to each and everyone of us.

I won't even begin to tally the mess you have made of your own life and the contribution of injuries and scars you have inflicted on each one of us.

You can suggest that others are liars....hey....at least we know when we lie...and feel remorse.

If indeed you seek help like you say you are going to do, you will at some point likely need to make amends with the people you have hurt and alienated. That is a good thing.

I am going to make it easier on your however. Please tell them that your father is dead.

I am so sorry, man. I've been through this with my mom. This is not a reflection of your problems and has nothing to do with your journey to recovery, this is wholly about his own demons and mental illness. I don't need to know the man, or you to know this to be the case.

Thank you, Ludious.

I do have my problems. I've lied, cheated, stole, deceived. I'm aware of my issues, I'm tired of them, and I'm going to deal with them.

this either indicates that you ARE making progress and should be happy about that - OR that you are a psychopath and can make us believe anything you want us to believe.

Believe me - and this will be hard, in a moment - it's primarily the latter.

I am a bastard. I am a psychopath. But I'm toothless these days, so it's time to hang up my boots and become a new person.

• Options
    ChelleYeahChelleYeah Mrs. Ludious Living it up in Cinderella's CastleRegistered User regular

Brad,

An adult wrote that.

He literally wrote "You want the truth? You can't handle the truth!" In an earlier email.

To be fair, I started it by quoting Kanye.

I am going to tell you the same thing people told me when I was in this situation and that I wish I could go back in time and tell myself. The sooner you cut him out of your life, the better. My mother is only in my life on MY terms now. There are prices I pay for this emotionally, but they are far cheaper than what I was paying before.

There's not much someone can do to me emotionally that can come close to what I've done to myself.

Living in a world where my father is dead will cause me no difficulty or distress whatsoever

I am vaguely considering responding to his email ... but only to make a comment that I do not make a habit of corresponding with the dead, and expressing that to him isn't worth the bytes it would take up.

Especially since he's dead.

The best thing to do is not respond. There is nothing you can say that will make anything better, nothing you can say that will make you feel better or like you got the last word or anything at all satisfying. The temptation to reply is great but it just isnt worth it.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular

Brad,

Thank you, Ludious.

Having known some charismatic sociopaths I my day,

• Options

Brad,

Thank you, Ludious.

I am a bastard. I am a psychopath. But I'm toothless these days, so it's time to hang up my boots and become a new person.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    It feels like towing for a first offence is really harsh. I figured towing would be if you come back the next day and the car hasn't budged.

Cant clean the streets today, Chet parked like an asshole.
    Guess we'll have to let that apartment burn down, Betty's sick whip is blocking the hydrant.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    it is weird to see shit thats been done and dusted so long it's been the status quo for a century being discussed in the same terms contentious things are today

give it another century and the gay/trans squabbles will be be a distant memory

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    I think the abilify is starting to work. I am still depressed and by no means happy, but I swear to god I am a bit more clear headed and the world literally, and I do mean literally, seems brighter. Like I physically feel like there is more light around me.

thats just cos u saw one of my poast

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular

depends if your motives are financial or not, i guess

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod

I ...hmmm.

You must know it. It's the best WH penis story; everyone knows it.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular

I ...hmmm.

??

• Options
    When you're depressed enough being capable of manipulating people is useless because you don't want anything.

• Options

Brad,

Thank you, Ludious.

now i dont know whether to like you or hate you

you describe someone eerily similiar to my father.

he treats everyone who is not in his immediate family (except my moms side of the family) like pure gold. bends over backwards for them, etc. everyone who finds out he's my father at work (we work in the same agency) always gets excited and impressed and tells me how wonderful he is. they don't know about the bruises and neglect i suffered through as a child. they dont know how he treats the immediate family like servants, demanding instant submission and servitude. my mother is in severe denial but i limit contact with him as much as i possibly can.

• Options
    Deebaser wrote: »

Guess we'll have to let that apartment burn down, Betty's sick whip is blocking the hydrant.

Quoting to clarify, most parking fouls should and are ticketed without tows. Others create an inconvenience for the rest of society and are more appropriately addressed tout suite.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    I think there's room in this world for both a system of disincentivizing illegal parking and not generating huge amounts of waste and pain by shattering people's livelihoods.
    I would be ok if towing companies were not incentive to be crooked. They do some shady shit like cars to spots that are illegal take a picture and then impound.

• Options

p sure there are better ways of dealing with this sort of thing.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Is there anyone actually named Chet anymore?

I can't imagine they survive to adulthood.

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    This is fucked up.

http://time.com/3182726/if-you-want-to-see-inequality-in-the-u-s-at-its-worst-visit-an-impound-lot/?utm_source=feedburner&amp;utm_medium=feed&amp;utm_campaign=Feed:+time/ideas+(TIME+Ideas)
    If You Want to See Inequality in the U.S. at Its Worst, Visit an Impound Lot

For millions of Americans a towed car can lead to a crippling spiral of stress, debt, joblessness, illness and, in many cases, incarceration.

On a recent San Francisco afternoon, I returned to where I’d parked my car, but it was gone. A “No Parking” sign indicated that parking was prohibited after 3:00 PM on weekends. It was 3:15. I called the telephone number on the sign and a clerk affirmed that my car had been towed to an impound lot.

I took a cab and entered a single-story brick building where a few dozen people were crowded together in a scene that evoked Kafka; weariness, frustration and anger were palpable. Some stood in line, some paced and some sat hunched on the floor. A family huddled in a corner, an infant asleep on the father’s shoulder. A woman on a pay phone wept as she begged whomever was on the line to find money so she could get her car back–she said she needed $875. “I’m gonna lose my job if I’m not there at 5.”

Clerks sat on stools behind Plexiglas. At a window, a man pleaded with an agent, “I have to pick up my kids in less than an hour. What am I supposed to do?” At the next window, another man railed loudly and furiously, yelling, “How the hell am I supposed to get my goddam money if I can’t get to goddam work?” The clerk said, “If you can’t get cash, you can pay by credit card or cashier’s check.” The man shouted, “And if I had a goddam limousine, we wouldn’t be having this conversation.”

A man waiting in line with me told me that he owned a landscaping business that depended on his truck, which had been towed three days earlier. “I can’t work,” he said. “The crew don’t work. Everything I need is in the truck.” It had been towed when he parked in a red zone in front of an auto-parts store. He’d been late to a job and ran into the store to buy a spark plug for a broken lawn mower. He didn’t have money enough that day to pay the $472 towing fee. After the first four hours, charges began accumulating—about $65.00 a day. (They didn’t include the $72 cost of the parking ticket.) He had borrowed $700, which he held near his chest in an envelope. He said it would take “I hope no more than a year” to repay the loan, for which he was being charged 50% of the loan amount. “I had no choice,” he said. He had already lost four days’ income and didn’t know how he was going to pay his bills, including rent, due that week.
    It almost made me agree with J but than I thought it about it and laughed at the notion.

What has J to do with this?

Yesterday there was a lovely conversation about property rights and the elevation of "parking space" ownership over "vehicle" ownership and his completely nonplussed observation that towing companies charging you to get back your property made no sense.

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    The Swiss. Monsters.

Don't even have their own language. And look at the place: covered in snow. If it was here we'd get the gritters out. But no, not the Swiss. Lazy.

Roughly paraphrasing the excellent episode of Mr Don and Mr George where they decide to take a holiday Anywhere But Switzerland.

Hey I like Swiss people

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular

yeah towing the car.
    if you're blocking a hydrant, fuck you.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    Narwhal what the public really needs to know is, are you a liar?

• Options
    edited August 2014

What is a better way to deal with this than "Remove vehicle. Fine asshole"?

Deebaser on
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »
    The Swiss. Monsters.

Don't even have their own language. And look at the place: covered in snow. If it was here we'd get the gritters out. But no, not the Swiss. Lazy.

Roughly paraphrasing the excellent episode of Mr Don and Mr George where they decide to take a holiday Anywhere But Switzerland.

Hey I like Swiss people

<3

(A lot have some pretty terrible views though. If for certain reasons)

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    omg im so mad

so my coworker is constantly like ohhh im so tired i cant contribute to this meeting ohhh i have add i need to spin in my chair for 40 minutes to activate my brain ohhh my health is so bad

Anyways this month hes been taking a lot of time off for medical appointments, which is totally fine and I'm glad he finally is addressing the problem

except he's going to a chiropractor and a naturopath

raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaggggg

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    @ronya‌

I think you're just testing the wrong thing. You're running 55 picks and expecting to get all the coupons 50% of the time but that's not really what the chart is showing. You're throwing away distribution information from the trials where it would take more than 55 picks.

This code runs the experiment 10 million times to completion and gets close to the exact number of expected draws from the wikipedia chart.
    var numCoupons = 16;

var allFlagsSet = 0

{
    	flags[i] = (0x01 << i);
    }

var totalDraws = 0;

{
    	var drawFlags = 0;
    	{
    		totalDraws += 1;
    	}
    }

document.write("The expected number of draws to get all coupons is " + (totalDraws/numTrials));

... it's not a symmetric distribution is it. damn it :rotate:

yes, I defo understood expected number of draws wrong. hrm

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Casual wrote: »

I ...hmmm.

??

I want to hear the penis story!!

• Options

Absolutely. Almost habitually.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    ronya wrote: »
    @ronya‌

This code runs the experiment 10 million times to completion and gets close to the exact number of expected draws from the wikipedia chart.
    var numCoupons = 16;

var allFlagsSet = 0

{
    	flags[i] = (0x01 << i);
    }

var totalDraws = 0;

{
    	var drawFlags = 0;
    	{
    		totalDraws += 1;
    	}
    }

... it's not a symmetric distribution is it. damn it :rotate:

yes, I defo understood expected number of draws wrong. hrm

I edited my post above, be sure to reread. And yeah, it's almost certainly not symmetric.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options

Would a liar answer that question honestly? In order to get to the bottom of this we need one poster that can only tell the truth and another poster that can only tell lies. Then it would be plain as day that you're the fucking spy!

• Options

you're not really a Narwhal at all are you

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular

In fact he may be lying to you right this very moment!

HE DOESN'T EVEN KNOW ANYMORE

Bless your heart.
This discussion has been closed.