As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pin durability/Lanyard loading

KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
edited August 2014 in Pinny Arcade
So this will be my first pax and presently I'm loading my lanyards (common on one, harder to find on another) and I'm curious as to how dense I can pack them. Will the finish/color scuff off if they're all clanking around together?

The reason I ask is, I received up a merch pin last xmas as part of their sale/promo for spending X dollars in the PA store and it came with a bit of the blue on his whee little forehead missing. It was loose in the box, so I'm not sure if it was damage from shipping or a factory defect... It's a minor cosmetic flaw, so I'm not worried about it, but it had me thinking about how close I could mash them up on my lanyards.

I would hate to damage any of these, let alone some of the limited edition pins, just because they're all moving around together on a lanyard or in my bag of holding.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
Gamertag - Khraul
PSN - Razide6
Khraul on

• Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    You could always lay the lanyard flat and then wrap it up inside of a t-shirt or towel or something.

Mine traveled with me last year and were fine, though going to Prime I only had like... 8 pins, and I left Prime with way more than that, though most coming home were still sealed in plastic.

So yeah, I'd say protect them in some form, whatever you feel comfortable with.

• Options
    QumadenQumaden World's Mightiest Mortal Registered User regular
    I generally avoid direct contact overlap just out of paranoia, but I've seen people with lanyards so dense I don't know how they pulled it off. The pins themselves in general are pretty durable. If you're concerned about some of the rare ones, I'd put them on the card and put it in the plastic if you can.

• Options
    MozleronMozleron WotC Build engineer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    So, there are locking pin backs, such as these:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/321324110421?lpid=82

My question is, will there be anyone at PAX selling these things, because i'd totally put money in their hands for a pack of 100.

• Options
    FitzchivalryFitzchivalry PAXAUS Cookie Brigade Coordinator Orrstrahleeeeah mate!Registered User regular
    Mozleron wrote: »
    So, there are locking pin backs, such as these:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/321324110421?lpid=82

My question is, will there be anyone at PAX selling these things, because i'd totally put money in their hands for a pack of 100.

If you did express shipping you could get them before Prime..but no, some hardcore collectors do carry them and give them out with trades though.

• Options
    brettness37brettness37 Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular

They had prototypes on hand at the pinfo table this weekend. Multicolor replacement pin backs, a possible blind box, and the chrome locking backs. No info on pricing or quantities, just an idea of what they were looking at.

• Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Did they actually have the locking backs on display? I saw everything else, but didn't know if their locking backs would look Merchy or not.

• Options
    brettness37brettness37 Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular
    Yeah, they were the standard ones most people have been getting on eBay, from what I could tell.

• Options
    PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular

The coloured backs seem to be a lot tighter than the originals, and the locking backs are the best design.

• Options
    QumadenQumaden World's Mightiest Mortal Registered User regular
    Copied and pasted from another thread because I just saw this one:

Brian had some upcoming PA Merch products he was showing off to people. As a pinthusiast I took the time to play with them a bit. The first were different colored rubber backs. I thought it seemed pretty gimmicky, but actually playing with them on the pins they fit much more snugly. I could see if you didn't have a backpack or bag and just a few pins on your lanyard that these rubber backs would be enough to keep your pins safe in the expo hall. Most of us however have a bag or something extra or, like some people I saw, wear multiple lanyards overloaded with pins. The other product he was showing off were official PA locking pin backs. I didn't see any logo stamp or anything of that nature to differentiate from the locking backs I use now (I don't know what they're called, I just call them pushy pulls). They looked very similar to ones I've bought in the past but seem to have a more distinct "lock". With the current ones I use I always have to tug on it to make sure it's set, the ones he had seems to have a tactile sensation that it was indeed locked