As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Blue Dragon free DLC adds hard/impossible modes; musing on rebalancing

LunkerLunker Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Games and Technology
http://www.majornelson.com/archive/2007/09/28/marketplace-roundup-for-september-28-2007.aspx
Content: Ultra Hard Mod
Price: Free
Availability: Not available in Japan

The Ultra Hard Mod adds three new features to Blue Dragon. New Game Plus is a game mode that allows you to start your game over using a saved game from near the end of Blue Dragon. The Hard game mode allows you to play at a difficulty level that is twice as high as the original. The Impossible game mode is the ultimate in difficulty and is meant to be played starting at Level 50 or higher.

I find this really interesting for two reasons. First, this DLC "mod" has apparently been available in the Hong Kong marketplace for quite a while and was created as a fan reaction to the game not being hard enough. But second, this seems to address one of the problems Blue Dragon's Western reviewers had with the game -- that it was too easy. Personally, I think it should have been on the disc from Day 1, but this also raises questions of how to review games when things like this happen. Should reviews and impressions be rewritten with this in mind? Why wasn't this included in the Western release in the first place? And more important, who makes an RPG that doesn't have New Game+ standard nowadays?

I admit that the generally poorly received demo left a bad taste in my mouth, but this boost plus general underground chatter about the game have me convinced to at least rent it. What say you all?

Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
Lunker on

• RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Well, hard mode definitely ups the challenge considerably. Bosses in particularly can be brutal if you don't do some grinding beforehand. Luckily there's usually a checkpoint before boss battles so you don't lose much if you die otherwise it could have ended up overly frustrating.

Personally, I think reviewers should do some a bit of research into games before posting them. If they had done it, they would have known that a free difficulty patch had already been released for the game in other regions and so they would have known that the game's overly easy difficulty was an issue that was already being taken care of.

RainbowDespair on
  • Sword of LuckSword of Luck Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I like the fact that it is on the easy side and I've enjoyed the 5 hours or so I've put into it so far. I'll grab the DLC for the New Game+, even though Disgaea is the only game in which I've ever used New Game+.

Sword of Luck on
    GamerTag: Sword of Luck
  • Shibbi BibbiShibbi Bibbi Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I really wish I had known about this stuff sooner. I'm towards the end of the 3rd disc and my only gripe about the game so far has been the difficulty. I'll download this since I was planning on going through a 2nd time anyway, since I have no hope of completing the monster record at this point. I'm actually looking forward to playing on hard difficulty.

Shibbi Bibbi on
  • RedMageDarionRedMageDarion Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I really wish I had known about this stuff sooner. I'm towards the end of the 3rd disc and my only gripe about the game so far has been the difficulty. I'll download this since I was planning on going through a 2nd time anyway, since I have no hope of completing the monster record at this point. I'm actually looking forward to playing on hard difficulty.
    If you're near level 50 (or can get there in your current playthrough) go straight to Impossible.

Hard is still a joke.

I played through Hard my first playthrough and by disc 2 I was pretty much outclassing everything.

At level 53 I finished the game without even trying.

RedMageDarion on
    Pokemon White - 3954.6369.6328