Options

It's [Science!]

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Well, on the one hand, it would be a shame to wipe out a nascent ecosystem with a tardigrade apocalypse.

On the other hand, "Tardigrade Apocalypse" would be a rockin name for a band.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Personally I am all for shooting SCIENCE! at planets and seeing what happens.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Well, on the one hand, it would be a shame to wipe out a nascent ecosystem with a tardigrade apocalypse.

On the other hand, "Tardigrade Apocalypse" would be a rockin name for a band.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this.

Unfortunately, the name might get snagged for a shitty made for syfy movie about an experiment with tardigrades gone horribly wrong.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I would totally watch a shitty SyFy movie about a tardigrade experiment gone horribly wrong.

I mean, I watched Night of the Lepus. Have you seen a tardigrade? The Wikipedia page is basically a synopsis for a horror flick as-is.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    cB557 wrote: »

I don't get why we're not just launching random shit at Mars on a daily basis.

"Hey, it's a new breed of corn. Let's shoot it at Mars."

"Brett, grab me that new robo-dog. Fucker's going to Mars."

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

The industry calls this "The Cave Johnson Method"

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Now? We'd manage. We'd just have to GMO everything to self polinate, but we currently rely heavily on bees.

I don't get why we're not just launching random shit at Mars on a daily basis.

"Hey, it's a new breed of corn. Let's shoot it at Mars."

"Brett, grab me that new robo-dog. Fucker's going to Mars."

We have discovered bacteria that can metabolize the atmosphere of Venus. Some of them might live. It would be super keen.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    This is a few days old but I though it was pretty neat:

CkGmW8I.png

Here we have a picture taken by the Rosetta probe's lander to check one of the solar panels. In the background is comet Churyumov–Gerasimenko, which it's going to land on in a couple of moths.

We launched this probe 10 years ago and it's about to land on a goddamn comet.

NEAT

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    Tardigrades are tough, but like almost all known life forms they still need liquid water. Spewing them into space would just kill them slowly.

Moreover, there have been enough asteroid impacts on Earth over the years that this has quite probably already happened.

• Options
    I told my daughter about tardigrades and now she wants to fire some at Mars for her science fair project.

• Options
    Tardigrades are tough, but like almost all known life forms they still need liquid water. Spewing them into space would just kill them slowly.
    Well
    they apparently need very little water, Wikipedia said they could go a decade w/o the stuff, so... like maybe we could just put them in a plastic bag filled with water before throwing them out the ISS airlock in the general direction of Europa.

• Options
    That was kind of my thinking. Ten years is enough time to reach a fair number of bodies, so they don't have to survive in icy vacuum forever.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Aioua wrote: »
    We launched this probe 10 years ago and it's about to land on a goddamn comet.
    NEW PLAN

but first I should go to bed before my posts get even dummer

cB557 on
  • Options
    Emissary42Emissary42 Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    To be fair, there's a good bit of speculation that in the very early solar system when Venus, Earth, and Mars may have all possessed a fair bit of liquid water at the same time and were all still pounded regularly by asteroids that the mathematical odds of microbes being evenly spread between the three - regardless of which developed life first - was extremely high. As I recall, the new Cosmos (episode 11 I think) discusses this yet-to-be-confirmed possibility of both this and the larger scale concept of panspermia (for example, there's been totally enough time for ejecta from the Chicxulub impact to reach other nearby solar systems by now, the only question being whether they have been fully sterilized by cosmic radiation between their departure and arrival dates).

Emissary42 on
  • Options
    CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    Well
    they apparently need very little water, Wikipedia said they could go a decade w/o the stuff, so... like maybe we could just put them in a plastic bag filled with water before throwing them out the ISS airlock in the general direction of Europa.
    They can survive for some time without it, but they're not going to be doing anything else.

The real problem is that there's nowhere for them to go. Earth is the only known or suspected location in the solar system where liquid water is stable at the surface. Europa, probably Ganymede, and maybe some of the other outer solar system moons have oceans of liquid water, but these are far beneath the surface. Mars may have transient surface water (as far as I know it's never been proven or disproven), but if it does it is little more than a trickle and extremely brief.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Bacteria to Venus! We should totally make this happen. It's why commercial launch costs going down is exciting - once you're in orbit, you can get pretty damn far using relatively cheap and easy to assemble ion and arc thrusters.

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Might already be there some there I thought? Venuses upper atmosphere is a long way away from the traditionally thought of hellish conditions of the surface, sure I've read some articles speculating that there might be some simple life up in the clouds due to the presence of a few unusual gases up there (in the same way that you'd not usually expect to find oxygen in the atmosphere of a planet like earth without some very complicated reactions going on that are good markers for biology).

Here we go, should probably double check that these places don't have stuff there already before we go Cane Toading the solar system up with Tardigrades.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    I think it's cool to look for life on other planets, I really hope we find some. However I keep thinking that the search for new life is slowing our ability to spread old life, and that as a version of life we sort of owe it to the universe to spread out and seed other bodies with life (not necessarily human life) in order to prevent its disappearance from the universe.

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Yeah, just think that Tardigrades are the wrong way to do it - Bacteria on Venus that remove the acid from the atmosphere so we can live in the clouds, all good in my book! Just move earth stuff about seems a bit reckless.

Wish I could find the original article, but sure I've seen a plan that showed how to terraform Mars in about 70 years. Cost is tredemendous, but then everything government's do is expensive and compared to the Iraq war...70 years is a long time to spread that stuff out.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    I think tardigrades are cute. ._.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »

Have you looked at flatworms yet?

They are the cutest.

• Options
    Exciting news:

Rumors state a poster was spotted arriving at the announcement location with SpaceX & Sierra Nevada on it, but no Boeing.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Trace wrote: »

Have you looked at flatworms yet?

They are the cutest.

il_570xN.366210373_s80u.jpg

Sorry, tardigrades win.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    I mean, c'mon, this just looks like a cartoon wang:

il_570xN.412389234_jot2.jpg

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    I have no context for this image, Jeffe, I just found it on GIS, but it appears someone else is already onto your idea:

af1caeddc1e321f22f3a8a7d76b57d63.jpg

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    pft... water bears don't need no wimpy space suit.

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    JebusUD wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    JebusUD wrote: »
    I believe Alzheimer's has a higher correlation with European ancestry. I think I read that somewhere. Also, there are European specific types of Anemia. I know my paternal grandmother has hereditary spherocytosis (round blood cells, it can cause anemia).

Looking this up, the first thing I found was this:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK25535/

which indicates that Alzheimer's is negatively correlated with being white as opposed to black/hispanic.

Native Americans have even lower incidence, though.

A perfect example of why "I think I read" or "hear d a guy say" isn't scientific. Best to look into it yourself.

But yes there are generally European heritable diseases, like spherocytosis.
    There are two types main types of AD.
    The first can be considered heritable or inherited Alzheimer's disease. A lot of times we call it "Familial AD".

There are at least six variants of the gene APP which goes awry in Alzheimer's Disease.

We call them Iowa, Arctic, Flemish, Italian, Dutch and so forth. The majority of the known and traced heritable AD cases are clustered in Europe and there is a very strong correlation IRT European ancestry and familial AD.

Now, that does not address sporadic cases (these occur because old). Sporadic cases happen disproportionately to the elderly and ALL elderly are at risk for AD and Dementia. I guarantee that the majority of the studies in that book did not sample brains post-mortem to confirm AD so they can only call it phenotypic Dementia. We can't really say much about the incidence of Alzheimer's between races from a lot of the studies in that book.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    It's Boeing & SpaceX

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdQfdKkr46U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf_-g3UWQ04

EDIT - Ongoing news conference (as of 4:30 PM EST)

Also, neat bit from a question is that the two contracts are identical but SpaceX is still only asking for half as much money to achieve the same results.

Emissary42 on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Damn was it too much to ask for that boeing got its comeupance for gouging the US all these years?

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    Damn was it too much to ask for that boeing got its comeupance for gouging the US all these years?

I agree, but to be fair the Atlas V is an incredibly reliable vehicle. Overpriced? Most likely. But there is definitely something to be said for 100% launch success across all 48 launches for the vehicle, which is understandably attractive to NASA.

Even though Boeing got picked, it looks like Sierra Nevada is going to do pretty well. They're currently in talks with JAXA to potentially be the supplier of manned vehicles for Japan's home-built rocket.

• Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    Emissary42 wrote: »

I agree, but to be fair the Atlas V is an incredibly reliable vehicle. Overpriced? Most likely. But there is definitely something to be said for 100% launch success across all 48 launches for the vehicle, which is understandably attractive to NASA.

For a while it seemed like the only news from SpaceX was "SpaceX $umpteen million vehicle explodes on launch pad/in midair". Boeing seems to have their shit together as far as launches go.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular

Even though Boeing got picked, it looks like Sierra Nevada is going to do pretty well. They're currently in talks with JAXA to potentially be the supplier of manned vehicles for Japan's home-built rocket.

Yeah, with numbers like that I'm thinking they want to put people on the ultra-reliable one and give the much more frequent cargo-only runs to the cheap option.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    The numbers are misleading though. For example Boeing shot two milsats into the wrong orbit with an early shutdown not too long ago, and the Falcon 9 didn't explode it was destroyed by range safety, while being tested with highly experimental landing gear on it.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2014
    Plus the one they fail-safed was purely an experimental vehicle, not the Falcon 9 first stage that they have flown successfully a dozen times.

Edit: SpaceX has publicly stated that if it was a full-on falcon 9 first stage it wouldn't have failed the way it did because the falcon 9 has redundancies that the grasshopper does not have.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I mean, c'mon, this just looks like a cartoon wang:

il_570xN.412389234_jot2.jpg

I feel like it loses something in translation to plush toy

flatworm-planarian.jpg

The fact that it has real life googly eyes is what gives it all the personality.

-edit-

Also, non-parasitic! These little guys just tool around looking for stray particles of organic matter to eat, they are not leeches despite the shape.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    The numbers are misleading though. For example Boeing shot two milsats into the wrong orbit with an early shutdown not too long ago, and the Falcon 9 didn't explode it was destroyed by range safety, while being tested with highly experimental landing gear on it.
    Plus the one they fail-safed was purely an experimental vehicle, not the Falcon 9 first stage that they have flown successfully a dozen times.

Edit: SpaceX has publicly stated that if it was a full-on falcon 9 first stage it wouldn't have failed the way it did because the falcon 9 has redundancies that the grasshopper does not have.

I was more going with the Space Shuttle's flight record; using simpler, dedicated vehicles for crew and heavy lift rockets for cargo rather than trying to combine the two is bound to be a safer method of space travel.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    I'm happy SpaceX didn't get all the marbles cause I think Elon Musk is a fucking shyster. :neutral_face:

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options

I was more going with the Space Shuttle's flight record; using simpler, dedicated vehicles for crew and heavy lift rockets for cargo rather than trying to combine the two is bound to be a safer method of space travel.

This doesn't really tally. Having one vehicle you really understand will be safer. Conventionally that's not done because the smaller vehicle we usually launch more, so that's the one we understand. The larger vehicle is built because the smaller one can't meet payload requirements. But SpaceX really only have the Falcon 9. Eventually they'll have the F9-Heavy and whatever comes after that, so the distinction will naturally shake out.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    And the Falcon 9 heavy will be 3 falcon 9 first stages attached, so they ought to REALLY understand it.
    Aioua wrote: »
    I'm happy SpaceX didn't get all the marbles cause I think Elon Musk is a fucking shyster. :neutral_face:

Can you elaborate on what part of his companies, or public statements gives you this impression?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    Honestly though? SpaceX is eating Boeing's lunch, and I think the only reason Boeing got a seat at the table is because they have spent so gawdalful much money on the thing it would be embarrassing to back out.

This discussion has been closed.