As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Friday, September 26, 2014 - Aladdin’s Cave

2»

• Options
    streeverstreever Registered User regular
    The dialogue I've heard/read looks bad, and I doubt that Destiny spent the money on the type of production staff that normally would be in a film; actors are great, but they deliver great lines with the support and aid of on-set writers, directors, and other professionals. I expect with a lot of video games, the game producers have no cinematic or theatrical background, and are just like "Hey you're a famous actor, here, go in this room and read these lines."

• Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    There was a cave or two on different planets that spawned enemies really quick that you could kill over and over for glimmer (useless ingame currency) and random item drops.

Personally it seemed a really boring and short sighted way to get gear so I never did it.

This is by far the funniest thing about all this.

The loot cave is a pretty shitty way of gearing up in Destiny. Yet people do it anyway thinking IT'S THE ONLY WAY MAN, THIS GAME IS SO STINGY WITH DROPS IT'S THE ONLY WAY. When in reality the best way to get gear involves just playing the damn game. I think more traditional MMORPGs have broken some people.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    Soul SanctumSoul Sanctum Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Djiem wrote: »
    An exposition dump is bad storytelling. Always. There's always a way to add context, depth and immersion without needing a narrator telling you what things are and why you are there.

How are you able to prove this exactly?
    It's not fault of the advice "show, don't tell" that the game is as bad as it is.

I think it played a role.
    Ordis from Warframe.
    Cortana from the Halo franchise.
    SHODAN from System Shock 2.
    Hal from Space Odyssey 9000.
    David from Prometheus.
    Data from Star Trek: TNG.

AI's are a gold mine.
    Peter Dinklage should be able to do something with that. Especially when you're an AI intelligent enough to wistfully muse about how exciting and wonderful it must've been to see the dream of human colonization back when.

You're really trying too hard to excuse how bad this is.

How exactly are SHODAN and HAL good voice acting? They're even more stilted and unemotional than Dinklage in Destiny.

So how does emotional capacity equate to mastery of phonics, intonation, and language?

I wasn't aware that having an opinion was "trying to excuse something"

Person 1 "That burger was delicious."
    Person 2 "You're trying too hard to excuse how bad that burger was."

Seems a bit offensive.

Soul Sanctum on
  • Options
    MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    There was a cave or two on different planets that spawned enemies really quick that you could kill over and over for glimmer (useless ingame currency) and random item drops.

Personally it seemed a really boring and short sighted way to get gear so I never did it.

The loot cave is a pretty shitty way of gearing up in Destiny. Yet people do it anyway thinking IT'S THE ONLY WAY MAN, THIS GAME IS SO STINGY WITH DROPS IT'S THE ONLY WAY. When in reality the best way to get gear involves just playing the damn game. I think more traditional MMORPGs have broken some people.

This seems to be the prevalent attitude in most loot based games now. "What's the most efficient way for me to get BiS gear? I must do that, and only that. Any other method is a waste of time."

It's like they're saying, "What's the quickest way for me to be done playing this game that I hate, but yet I can't bring myself to simply stop playing it until my character is the best he/she can be!"

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    Nobody501Nobody501 Registered User new member
    edited September 2014
    When you first reach the tower, and you and your ghost beam onto the tower, was anyone else's immediate reaction, "Oh my god our unmanned ship just crash landed into a major city, probably into a few skyscrapers!"?

Nobody501 on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    MarcinMN wrote: »
    Fiaryn wrote: »

This seems to be the prevalent attitude in most loot based games now. "What's the most efficient way for me to get BiS gear? I must do that, and only that. Any other method is a waste of time."

It's like they're saying, "What's the quickest way for me to be done playing this game that I hate, but yet I can't bring myself to simply stop playing it until my character is the best he/she can be!"

Because then they've "won", they've "beaten" that game, and can move on to the next one to finish/conquer/win.