As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DanD Designs- Artwork from thedandmom for 2014 (will hide NSFW with spoiler) NEW ART 10/4

thedandmomthedandmom Registered User regular
edited October 2014 in Artist's Corner
luna.jpg
Celestia.jpg
shockedfarrah.jpg
twili+sketch.jpg
slime.jpg
clockworkgolem.jpg
drow.jpg
tumblr_n0a6i2eQa91r61m60o1_1280.jpg
tumblr_n0ptzkZEmA1r61m60o1_500.jpg
tumblr_n0rqjhezVd1r61m60o1_500.jpg
tumblr_n0v0vinPiq1r61m60o1_500.jpg
tumblr_n0v476GsK31r61m60o1_1280.jpg
tumblr_n0w3tpl9qt1r61m60o1_1280.jpg

NSFW
nadia.jpg
pinuptul.jpg

linkbanner.jpg
thedandmom on

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    I love your linework! The thick lines combined with the way you do colours is really attractive to the eye. I'd like to see more action shots and dynamic scenes, I think your style would work really well for that.

• Options
    Aw. Thanks. I haven't done much actiony stuff lately, but I'm working on starting a new webcomic so I might be doing some soon.

linkbanner.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    ponytarapidash.jpg A little Pokemon paint from today

thedandmom on
    linkbanner.jpg
  • Options
    juggling.jpg
    Another pokemon paint

linkbanner.jpg
  • Options
    wilrymg.jpgwilryarmor.jpg
    I drew my cleric for DnD as a magical girl. I included her original outfit so you can see why she's so upset.

linkbanner.jpg
  • Options
    IntotheVASTIntotheVAST Registered User regular
    My favorite is your gelatinous cube.... at least that is what I think it is.. It looks like it could be right out of a video game or maybe a tabletop game. I am not a huge pony or faerie fan, but I still enjoy what you have here

• Options
    My favorite is your gelatinous cube.... at least that is what I think it is.. It looks like it could be right out of a video game or maybe a tabletop game. I am not a huge pony or faerie fan, but I still enjoy what you have here
    It's an ooze, and funny that you should say that, it's for a mobile game.

linkbanner.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Haven't posted here in a while

tumblr_n2o1lcN0pY1r61m60o1_500.jpg
    tumblr_n2csq6KhOl1r61m60o1_500.jpg
    npcs.jpg
    tumblr_n2bvvyOjuz1r61m60o1_500.jpg
    tumblr_n2t4zzZ9M81r61m60o1_500.jpg
    tumblr_n1mu1s7rSz1r61m60o1_500.jpg
    tumblr_n2t0vnQQQz1r61m60o1_500.jpg
    tumblr_n2022aG3bd1r61m60o1_500.jpg
    aquabatsskirt.jpg
    portal.jpg
    journey+skirt.jpg
    dressyveetaketwo.jpg
    portalskirt.jpg
    lurker.jpg
    nexus.jpg
    owls.jpg

thedandmom on
    linkbanner.jpg
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    I know that the new file upload makes it tempting to not resize your images, but for viewing and performance, its still best if you do. Theres not really a whole lot of reason to have an image be over 1000X1000 pixels for us, and plus posting full resolution makes your images alot easier to steal and reuse, which is a lot more common of a concern in the anime/fanart realm.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    There kind of fixed

thedandmom on
    linkbanner.jpg
  • Options
    Thanks, that's a bit better.

I know in your last thread you said you don't have a lot of time to study light, but at your high rate of output, I feel like if you put some effort into it you would really take your work to the next level if you just dedicated a little time studying it. You dont have to drop everything and start only doing art camp stuff like master studies, but if you took an extra bit of working on a piece to try and work out a light source, you work would feel a hundred times more coherent.

This is hurting you a lot when it comes to environments. When your characters feel flat, you can sort of chalk it up to a stylistic choice, but when you look at a scene like this:
    nexus.jpg
    or this:
    portal.jpg

Its hard to visually except the space. The funny thing is, if you take the time to learn the core concepts of lighting, you be able to get away with incredibly rough environments that look more sound and believable. Its worth the invested time to increase your knowledge in the area.

• Options
    Yes I know, I'm horrible at lighting. I'm actually working on a project right now where it's all mostly scenes and stuff and I'm struggling with it a little bit. And it may seem like I'm putting out alot of work, but really I'm not doing all that much. Most of the stuff I post here are just doodles that I've done just so that I'm still drawing every day. They really don't take more than 30-60 minutes to do.

linkbanner.jpg
  • Options
    Try not to think about as some huge burden you need to take on. You can study light in an hour drawing, you just need to start telling yourself to focus on it.

AoB posted a great tutorial on it, here:
    http://bacon.iseenothing.com/otherpeoplestuff/maleba_pokemon.jpg

This doesn't have to really change how you work though. I think some people see these tutorials, or really good loosely painted light studies and think "Oh, that means I have to learn how to paint like that, and that's going to be super hard and its not what I want to my work to look like anyway." but in truth its just a mental exercise. For instance:
    dadcrit.jpg
    Looking at this one character, you are already so close to having an idea of what to do, you just aren't taking the extra step to think about why or how the light should be hitting these shapes. You can still have a pretty flat look in the end, if you like that cell shaded style, but if you make more coherent choices about the light, all the neat shapes you make for your character are going to read better.

For environments I would try and gather reference from photos and paintings and try and steal the lighting set up. remember that light works the same way for environments as it does for characters. break shit down into simple shapes. For environments you also have a lot more perspective and atmospheric effects to deal with, but its not impossible to tackle these things. Just keep pushing yourself, tell your self with ever little drawing you do, you are going to work on a different problem, just for a little while. I promise, you'll see improvement.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    tumblr_n324n59z0l1r61m60o1_500.jpg

THERE! I'm practicing

thedandmom on
    linkbanner.jpg
  • Options
    Nice, that's a a huge step forward. Keep pushing yourself.

• Options
    tumblr_n326n8JUnE1r61m60o1_500.jpg
    tried throwing some colors on her.

linkbanner.jpg
  • Options
    SpaceMooseSpaceMoose Registered User regular
    Looks like you just leveled up. Great work!

• Options
    TopknotTopknot Artist MichiganRegistered User regular
    wow, cant compare. Out of curiosity I assume you use a tablet to draw all of these? If so what programs are you using?

9b04a6miuijl.jpg
  • Options
    I am using Paint Tool Sai with some extra textures and brushes.

linkbanner.jpg
  • Options
    tumblr_n3cyok1zKt1r61m60o1_500.jpgtumblr_n3cyok1zKt1r61m60o2_500.jpgtumblr_n3cyok1zKt1r61m60o3_500.jpgtumblr_n3cyok1zKt1r61m60o4_500.jpg
    tumblr_n3dcahMZTt1r61m60o1_1280.jpgtumblr_n3ds4lfYx91r61m60o1_500.jpgtumblr_n3duradz6O1r61m60o1_500.jpgtumblr_n3e2xjWwb11r61m60o1_500.jpg
    Working on a new character design. Her name is Pierianna. She's a gargoyle.

linkbanner.jpg
  • Options
    tumblr_n3f9daTmGa1r61m60o1_250.gif
    I figured that first face could use an eyeroll.

linkbanner.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Sketches and drawings from just before PAXEast, during, and after I got back home.

greyhound.jpgIMG_20140414_013927.jpgsimplecitynightwpierianna.jpgsimplecitywpierianna.jpgstroll.jpgpjpierianna.jpggreenheart.jpgfullarmorwilry.jpgdndpreview.jpgchampionsona.jpgamithyst.jpg

thedandmom on
    linkbanner.jpg
  • Options
    teeketchteeketch MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Very nice work you have here :)

• Options
    Steven Universe design i did for the current welovefine contest. Working on one for their Dungeons and Dragons contest too. stevencolors.jpg

linkbanner.jpg
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I said owls!

I mean, great work, keep it up!

• Options
    I haven't posted any of my stuff in a while.

tumblr_n62cxgsDIE1r61m60o1_500h.jpgtumblr_n5urn2gxVY1r61m60o1_500.jpg
    tumblr_n53yddnRv51r61m60o1_500.jpg
    tumblr_n4zfrtJ1Rv1r61m60o1_500.jpg
    tumblr_n4xpfjm0G01r61m60o1_250.jpgtumblr_n4xpfjm0G01r61m60o3_250.jpgtumblr_n4xpfjm0G01r61m60o5_r1_250.jpgtumblr_n4xpfjm0G01r61m60o2_250.jpgtumblr_n4xpfjm0G01r61m60o4_250.jpg
    tumblr_n4tl4xYPoP1r61m60o1_500.jpg

linkbanner.jpg
  • Options
    Mister RobMister Rob Registered User new member
    Really nice work! Thanks for sharing.

• Options
    I haven't posted in here in a while, I changed my internet handle everywhere else to thedicegoddess and was a little unsure about continuing to post under thedandmom but I shouldn't keep my art away from you guys.

keerankitty.jpgKeeran.jpgkeeran%2Bnew%2Boutfit.jpgharivecat.jpgnewfranki.jpgGhia.jpgMajuju%2B.jpgfairykeibg.pngsmdoodle.jpgnewr%E3%83%BBn.jpgdaddyshelper.jpgjamessouthc.jpgpbbbtc.jpgbike.jpgdicegoddess.jpgfullprimal.jpgarcanefull.jpgdivinefull.jpg

And these next four are for a project I'm working on called Breakfast Club
    Fong.pngmadoka.pngTav.jpgo.png

linkbanner.jpg
  • Options
    A couple of doodles and some logo work.

guycolor.jpg
    playnice.jpg
    deckoflegendslogofix.jpg
    animewils.jpg

linkbanner.jpg
  • Options
    pageside.png
    Made a graphic that I'll be using on my personal websites

linkbanner.jpg
  • Options
    charadesign.jpg
    Some character concept art that I did today.

linkbanner.jpg
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    You've got a really nice style, and I like the limited palette of the last one!

Small critique: in the character concept, it might be helpful to try and separate out the pieces a little bit more in the headdress - the form there is a little unclear. Overall though pretty cool! :)

• Options
    thanks @NightDragon. I appreciate your input. This was just a warmup version, I will probably flesh it out more soon.

linkbanner.jpg
  • Options
    Scan_20141004.jpg
    Today's Inktober

linkbanner.jpg
  • Options
    Scan_20141004%2B%282%29.png
    And Today's

linkbanner.jpg