As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

CDC Projects 40% of Americans Will Develop Diabetes; What Do We Do About It?

1272829303133»

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    I've heard vegan used as 'nothing meat related for me at all' while vegetarian means 'I don't eat mammals, and I may or may not eat other animals.'

Due to fish allergies, I order vegan meals a lot, especially while travelling.

This is exactly what I was trying to say. A person with a fish allergy should be able to confidently order a vegetarian meal and not get fish in it.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    I'd really like to see a cite where a restaurant includes fish/chicken on a vegetarian item. It keeps coming up on this thread. If it's an issue, in this age when every eating spot on the Earth has their menu online, we should be able to come up with an actually example.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    I'd really like to see a cite where a restaurant includes fish/chicken on a vegetarian item. It keeps coming up on this thread. If it's an issue, in this age when every eating spot on the Earth has their menu online, we should be able to come up with an actually example.

It doesn't really work that way. It's more - Vegetarian walks into a restaurant, asks, "What do you have that's vegetarian?" Waiter scratches his head, consults the cook. "We could do you a cheese omelette." Omelette arrives and has chunks of ham in it. "This isn't vegetarian, it has ham in it!" Waiter looks confused "Just little bits! You can pick them out if you don't like them."

It's more common in countries or rural areas without a tradition of vegetarian eating. You are not going to get an actual menu that says "Vegetarian option - coq au vin" because if the restaurant is aware enough to have a vegetarian section, they probably know what vegetarian means.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

It doesn't really work that way. It's more - Vegetarian walks into a restaurant, asks, "What do you have that's vegetarian?" Waiter scratches his head, consults the cook. "We could do you a cheese omelette." Omelette arrives and has chunks of ham in it. "This isn't vegetarian, it has ham in it!" Waiter looks confused "Just little bits! You can pick them out if you don't like them."

It's more common in countries or rural areas without a tradition of vegetarian eating. You are not going to get an actual menu that says "Vegetarian option - coq au vin" because if the restaurant is aware enough to have a vegetarian section, they probably know what vegetarian means.

If the goalpost is that it would confuse the waitress at the typical backwoods greasy spoon, then yeah. There's literally no specialized diet on Earth except, maybe, Atkins that would survive that test. That ignorance has absolutely nothing to do with whether some self-described vegetarians allow a piece of fish on the side.

Conversely, most vegetarians know better than to do that. They'll just stick to a chain if worse comes to worse, because even the most remote McDonalds in the country has proper labeling.