Options

Chrono [Chat]ter!

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    cptrugged wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    I guess I've never really been enchanted by reading.

Harry Potter was cool when I was a kid, but other than that, noooope.

I'd rather spend my commutes listening to music than reading.

It really is a habit best acquired young.

If you dont build a love for reading as a kid, it is hard as shit to acquire as an adult.

edit: I had a well-worn library card as a kid.

I find it interesting folks also get very specific tastes in books. A buddy of mine hates fiction. Won't do it. Says it bores him to death. But holy shit, how too books and historical stuff. He eats that shit up. He'll read an in depth account on the rise of Lee Iacocca. But damn if I could get him anywhere near a Stephen King or Jim Butcher novel.

tbf stephen king is garbage

He's so prolific he's bound to have stinkers

I remember the the few I read (over a decade ago) being quite good, but I don't remember the name

I do remember trying to get away with reading one for a monthly book reading assignment, and my teacher flipping through it, then giving me a "Um. Are your parents OK with you reading this?" I lied of course and said yes. Now I know why she was concerned, though she didn't need to be. I wasn't 100% sure what "flaccid penis" meant anyway, so I just glossed over it.

He's a fairly good writer. He is a terrible editor.

i will take your word for it. I was not very good at sophisticated literary criticism at 12 years old

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    I have read all three of the Adventu8re Time comic trades I bought and won't be able to buy 4 and 5 until next month :(. Life is inconvenience :(.

GET FIONNA & CAAAAAKE

Also cause I am the worst, I can also recommend Playing With Fire, a lil' spinoff focussing on Flame Princess. It's a physically smaller book, and in black n' white only. But it's greeeat. FP has to traverse a dungeon to save Finn, and she's just like "fuck these traps" and torches everything. :D

Eh, I don't see a point in getting an adventure time book that isn't in color.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    ChelleYeah wrote: »
    ludious you're just going to have to accept

that one day you too will have a screaming and crying child.

deal with it

<3

lifedecisionscomic.png?w=580&h=512

I can't use the money to just have people raise my children for me?

you can! but you get the money and the time but not the children
    :?

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    I had a beautiful time on Sunday lifeboat was just a bit unfortunate

I liked cthulu and the company

I dont know why I like games that are rage fests, but I do.
    Throwing chum when everyone gets tossed overboard. my god.

• Options
    Vanguard wrote: »
    time and money every time

i feel like we say that now because ofc having kids now would be a fucking disaster

but I'm open to my lifestyle choices changing over...u know....my life

hakks, long after you've left pa and the city behind to go frolic in some suburban oasis with your crotchlings

i will be here, being a dink

:\ Ok see liek I am at a point in my life where I can't see myself with any damn crotchlings even in the future, mostly because I can't see y future past the end of this year

but liek this attitude is so annoyin

• Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    I want a silly resume

"Everything I know about leadership I acquired through years of struggle, perseverance, and slice-of-life sports anime"

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular

If you dont build a love for reading as a kid, it is hard as shit to acquire as an adult.

I find it interesting folks also get very specific tastes in books. A buddy of mine hates fiction. Won't do it. Says it bores him to death. But holy shit, how too books and historical stuff. He eats that shit up. He'll read an in depth account on the rise of Lee Iacocca. But damn if I could get him anywhere near a Stephen King or Jim Butcher novel.

Nah, not the old stuff. Rough on the endings. But still really solid.

The Shining was good all the way through, as are most of his shorter novels like Cujo and 'Salem's Lot, but IT, for how good most of it is, had the most shit ending of shit endings.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Ebooks got me back in the game really hard. Now I can read on my work PC in between tickets. It's really nice.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »

Deebs, are you getting a divorce now after your first game of lifeboat?

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Greeper wrote: »
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Greeper wrote: »
    I'm getting the need for

Baldur's Gate.

What class should I play, guys? I've been through it as a mage/thief when I was a kid, otherwise I'm open to suggestions.
    @Greeper is Wild Mage an option?

They have some hilarious effects.

I don't have EE :(

Get Tutu mod then

opens up all the BG2 option in BG

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

i feel like we say that now because ofc having kids now would be a fucking disaster

hakks, long after you've left pa and the city behind to go frolic in some suburban oasis with your crotchlings

:\ Ok see liek I am at a point in my life where I can't see myself with any damn crotchlings even in the future, mostly because I can't see y future past the end of this year

is jork

as people's lives change they prioritize things

is cool

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    I can't have crotchlings. Suckers
    ;-;

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I have read all three of the Adventu8re Time comic trades I bought and won't be able to buy 4 and 5 until next month :(. Life is inconvenience :(.

GET FIONNA & CAAAAAKE

Also cause I am the worst, I can also recommend Playing With Fire, a lil' spinoff focussing on Flame Princess. It's a physically smaller book, and in black n' white only. But it's greeeat. [snip] :D

Nice spoilers, DRX

ALSO SMOOCHIN

Tumblr_inline_mqz59l6a5A1qz4rgp.png

D'AWWWW <3

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    ;-;

Wait, you can't?

Didn't you keep some from the before-time?

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    i have never wanted children and i can't see that changing at any point in the future

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I was really into Dean Koontz in my teens.

Now there's a one-note author.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »

The Shining was good all the way through, as are most of his shorter novels like Cujo and 'Salem's Lot, but IT, for how good most of it is, had the most shit ending of shit endings.

Oh god yes. I was so jazzed. IT was one of the last old one's I hadn't read. And it was looking so good. Awesome even. Then... Then... 0_0 What the hell was he thinking.

• Options

is jork

as people's lives change they prioritize things

is cool

i kno is jork but is arrogant jork said often with great sincerity

I know I will get my chance to laugh at the irony when "fuckin breeders!" people end up with kids when they turn 40 but god dammit I don't want to wait 20 years for my payoff

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited October 2014
    Even his (King's) recent works have been lots of fun.

I love his worldbuilding, but I am not always a fan with how he ends things.

His work is at its absolute best when kept under a hundred pages. His short story collections are national treasures as far as I am concerned.

Anyone who hasn't ready any owes themselves at least a readthrough of Hearts in Atlantis. It's one of my favorite reads of the past ten years.

edit: oh shit 15 years? fuck Im an old.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular

no. we did play resistence on saturday though. Raz gave me the secret under-the-table "pick me. Im not a spy" foot tap. I did not pick her, because she was totally a fucking spy. She was mad I didn't trust her. It apparently doesn't matter as much that she was lying!

WTB Marriage Counsel. PST

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »

His later books are wonderful though. Insomnia was fantastic. The Dark Tower series got better and better every book. Needful Things was great!

I love his short stories too. King is a great storyteller, and his characters are more lifelike than maybe any writer currently working.

• Options
    Hmm that doesn't look bad in B&W. I might pick it up.

• Options
    ;-;

Wait, you can't?

I did. All the queer ladies I know are in relationships, and it doesn't really help with guys though.

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Dean Koontz is the woooooooorst. Stephen King is a good author!

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    I was really into Dean Koontz in my teens.

Now there's a one-note author.

Literally all I know about him is from Family Guy when Brian hits him with a car.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    I haaaaaate jontron

he's like a geeky, neckbeardy jenna marbles

What's wrong with Jenna Marbles?

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Stephen King's first book, the long walk, should be read by everyone too. I'm honestly surprised it's not a national classic. I guess because he has such a long career that it's overshadowed/forgotten.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    English in high school killed my love of reading, ugh.

The thought of picking up a book and getting another Fitzgerald or Hemingway novel is enough to kill the mood instantly, even though I'm no longer being graded on it.

What a terrible way to get kids to read.

AP English Senior Year.

Summer Reading.

Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged.

Twenty page reports on both due 1st day of school.

Fuck that shit.

I'd have dropped that course instantly.

I liked to go camping and shit.

Summer reading was not my bag.

I always refused to do that.

I had a teacher try to call me out on my bullshit once. I looked her straight in the eye and said, "Whatever you think is fair, I won't admit that I didn't read this book. I had more important things to do."

Even if the more important things to do was jerk off and play Dark Age of Camelot, they don't know me.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    http://i.imgur.com/dFPbd10.jpg
    Pynchon is best nerds

Cinders on
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular

no. we did play resistence on saturday though. Raz gave me the secret under-the-table "pick me. Im not a spy" foot tap. I did not pick her, because she was totally a fucking spy. She was mad I didn't trust her. It apparently doesn't matter as much that she was lying!

This is great.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options

here is sekrit relationship advice

game of marriage moar important than game at hand

game of marriage is being pop tested when Resistance goes down

I almost dumped Beast for killing me in Coup

watch ur back

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Hmm that doesn't look bad in B&W. I might pick it up.

Yeh, is a "graphic novel" series. FP is the first book, a buncha c-tier princesses team up in the second, the third n' final one is a Marceline story. They're cheaper than the comic trades too, like £5ish each.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    ;-;

Wait, you can't?

I did. All the queer ladies I know are in relationships, and it doesn't really help with guys though.

So you can have crotchlings, just not right now...

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    So like when people say really asinine politically charged bullshit on Facebook, I feel this moral obligation to educate them. Like this dude railing on "liberals" and "social justice people" because of "what [he's] been reading about GamerGate." Such vague bullshit but I can only intuit what he means at this point.

Anyway, I'm getting tired of that feeling of obligation and soon I'm just going to start fucking deleting people to get their shit out of my feed.

Does this make me lazy/stupid?

Have done and would do again. Never feel bad.

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    Winky wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    I haaaaaate jontron

he's like a geeky, neckbeardy jenna marbles

What's wrong with Jenna Marbles?

i ain't no subscriber but I like her shit yo

• Options
    ;-;

Wait, you can't?

So you can have crotchlings, just not right now...

If I date women...

• Options
    Jontron is decent if he is not yelling and spazzing out all the time, which is not too often I'm afraid.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    What fastfood should I get for lunch. Y'all

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    that image is too large and also reading it struck me with blindness

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    The Long Walk is the first Stephen King book I read...

Is purty fentestic.

This discussion has been closed.