As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The mysterious ways of the vegetarian

2»

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    They want someone interested in the arts? Engineers make far better room mates.

What a fucking wierdo.

Quid on
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Shinto wrote: »
    MikeMan wrote: »
    olol shinto olol

WHO SUMMONS SHINTO?

It's about cooking the same kitchen. They don't want the meat on their pans, cutting boards, counters, sinks etc. They don't want to see the meat in the refrigerator or smell it cooking.

This is about what someone wants in their own home, not in a public place. I don't really think you have any call to be annoyed.

Yeah. I live in a vegetarian and largely vegan house, even though I still eat meat. However I dont cook meat in the house, except for the occasional frozen pizza or some canned sardines. Its more-so just a respect thing, but I'll still do it once and a while.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    YumcakeYumcake Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I dislike some things, I can understand how someone else's preferences could be at odds with mine. I like most foods aside from bitter melon, raw taro, and alcohol(yeah, I know).

If it was common enough to be a real risk, I might have to put up "ROOMMATE WANTED: NO NUDISTS". I'm fine with nudists, what they do in private doesn't hurt anyone. I just wouldn't want to live with them.

But I don't like it when someone tries to push their arbitrary preferences on someone else. And that goes both ways, most of vegetarians I meet never talk about it until someone asks. Usually they get nagged the whole meal after it comes up. But then, I'm on the east coast, don't know if that's the case on the west side.

Yumcake on
    Cake is yum, is yum cake? I think, therefore I am. I am... Yumcake.

kelbear1.png
  • Options
    ErlkingErlking Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Yumcake wrote: »
    But I don't like it when someone tries to push their arbitrary preferences on someone else. And that goes both ways, most of vegetarians I meet never talk about it until someone asks. Usually they get nagged the whole meal after it comes up. But then, I'm on the east coast, don't know if that's the case on the west side.
    It's still the case, and that's exactly why I never bring up that I'm a vegetarian when I'm new to a group. It's just a diet, it's not that interesting. I don't want to talk about it every meal.

I live with one vegetarian and one non-vegetarian. The non-vegetarian has been very understanding and has even gone so far as to warn us when she's used a particular kitchen utensil to handle meat. However, I can understand that when you're taking a more extreme stance you might want to avoid the risk altogether.

Erlking on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited October 2007
    devoir wrote: »
    I'm asian and I dislike tripe.

Hey, can I have yours as love me some tripe. It'd be cool if the local Pho's in my area would add more of it, its like they skimp. Is it ok to ask for extra???

Guessing that Pho's is some kind of restaurant, not the name of Irond Will's better half :P

Yes, I seriously thought he was referring to his girlfriend...

The only time I've had tripe was when it was prepared in a caucasian/anglo-saxon dish.

Haha. Nah my girlfriend's fake name is Frankie. Pho is a Vietnamese beef noodle soup that is concentrated awesome and generally served in an enormous bowl for a reasonable price.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I've been a vegan since 97. I get nauseous to the point of gagging and vomiting if I smell meat cooking. This usually only happens if it's not being cooked with a lot of overpowering spices, though. It's a pretty fast reaction and I really don't have a problem with seeing meat.

Some meats smell a lot worse than others. IBacon, oh man, that stuff is pretty foul. It is inevitable that the smell of bacon cooking will drive me away in the middle of gagging fits.

In fact one thing that I really don't like these days is that I'm way too sensitive to bad smells. Anything remotely nasty smelling has me spending all of my effort trying not to get sick over it.

I also understand that being vegetarian isn't for everyone, and there's no temptation for meat in itself. Additionally, if I order something from a new place and miss some meat product on the menu. I can guarantee that even if I don't taste it, that it will all come back up within 2 minutes.

Niceguy Myeye on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I've been a vegan since 97. I get nauseous to the point of gagging and vomiting if I smell meat cooking. This usually only happens if it's not being cooked with a lot of overpowering spices, though. It's a pretty fast reaction and I really don't have a problem with seeing meat.

Some meats smell a lot worse than others. IBacon, oh man, that stuff is pretty foul. It is inevitable that the smell of bacon cooking will drive me away in the middle of gagging fits.

In fact one thing that I really don't like these days is that I'm way too sensitive to bad smells. Anything remotely nasty smelling has me spending all of my effort trying not to get sick over it.

I also understand that being vegetarian isn't for everyone, and there's no temptation for meat in itself. Additionally, if I order something from a new place and miss some meat product on the menu. I can guarantee that even if I don't taste it, that it will all come back up within 2 minutes.

It sounds to me like you have begun to develop an unhealthy aversion to smells you dislike, which really can happen and can become quite a problem. You should expose yourself to a few unappealing smells more often so that your brain can be trained to not get stressed out and make you gag when you smell them.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    tbloxham wrote: »

It sounds to me like you have begun to develop an unhealthy aversion to smells you dislike, which really can happen and can become quite a problem. You should expose yourself to a few unappealing smells more often so that your brain can be trained to not get stressed out and make you gag when you smell them.

Yeah, gagging when you smell something is not a healthy reaction, unless you are smelling a lot of something really rank, ie rotting food or feces.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    You realize that different cultures and people find different things rank, right?

Quid on
  • Options
    DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I like vegetarians. More meat for me.

butsrsly, a temporary vegetarian diet can be very beneficial to people with high cholesterol, diabetes, or anyone looking for a good protein:fat diet.

The veggies I've spoken to can sit right next to someone eating meat. I guess I can understand the "cooking on the same plates" defense, but in all honesty, after a good washing, their isn't going to be anything left on those things. I think it's more principal. If they want to base everything on principal, though, then there is no limit to what they could argue about.

I buy organic, free-range beef, chicken, eggs, etc. and what not more because I think it tastes better, and no preservatives is nice, too.

Daemonion on
  • Options
    PartialartistPartialartist Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm pretty much an omnivore. I've even been known to eat chicken's feet. I prefer not to, not because of any squirmishness, but because the payoff is very low for the amount of effort involved to prevent yourself from swallowing small bones. Oh, and liver. Liver is pretty nice. Chicken is the only liver that I know for certain I've had, so it may be different for other animals.

No eyes or something like that, though. In terms of seafood I stick to flesh. 'Whole' baby squid are nice if prepared correctly.

Chicken liver is nice, when done right, but beef liver has never appealed to me.

I used to live with mostly vegetarian/vegan roommates. None of them had a problem with meat being cooked in the house. Actually, I ended up eating a lot less meat while I was there (still do), so it wasn't much of an issue.

Partialartist on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]PSN : TheIdiomatic
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    If any of you ever go to Melbourne and are willing to blow AUD$100 on a single meal, go see Vlado's.

The first course is a mixtured of grilled high quality meat. Small bits of eye fillet, mini-rissoles, chicken liver and the smallest most delectable bits of pork.

The second course is a gorgeous european pork sausage.

The third course is your pick of three cuts of beef, prepared as you like. And it's big. It just comes on a plate. There is some salad, and various mustards/sauces, but it's all about the meat.

And the fourth course is a pick between something and strawberries with crepe-like pancakes. Can't remember what the other option was.

So good.

Uh... and if you're a vegetarian, stay away.

devoir on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    [Tycho?] wrote: »
    tbloxham wrote: »

Yeah, gagging when you smell something is not a healthy reaction, unless you are smelling a lot of something really rank, ie rotting food or feces.

Even that should only affect you to the point of gagging and feeling sick if it is overwhelmingly bad. For example if you say, walk through a dump, your nose should be saying "This place smells bad, suppress your appetite while you are here it seems unhealthy" not "Arghh, evacuate the stomach, we're gonna die!"

I'm also glad that a few people have come down on the side of "I've never met anyone like this..." so I dont feel quite such a lunatic any more. Still now that I look at things this strange hatred of the smell of meat seems to be quite widely reported. I wonder why it is, I'm sure it must be to do with the association of "meat is something to avoid" that has to develop in a successful vegetarians brain and eventually must become so strong that it creates this meat smells bad response.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    I dunno, I eat meat and I still hate the raw smell. I prefer to prep the stuff while its still mostly frozen.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg