As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Harmonix's Disney's Fantasia

ErrorError Registered User regular
What is it? The excuse to have the Xbox One's Kinect.

OK what is it REALLY? A game that uses the motion sensing capabilities of the Kinect to allow you to act like Mickey Mouse did as the Sorcerer's Apprentice in the original Fantasia animated film by swinging your arms this way and that to prompts on the screen. The game also enables you to remix the songs by swapping out instruments. For example you might be presented with the option to change the lead guitar in Bohemian Rhapsody into a orchestral accompaniment.

Is it any good? Well, so far it's better than I was expecting. It is after all a Kinect game.

Is there a story mode? Yes there is, it's underwhelming. Thankfully you can go into the options and unlock every song right away with Party Mode.

Is there any DLC
Yes there are DLC packs, but none sadly for classical music, which I feel is where the game really shines. Also as of yet no Star Wars Soundtrack DLC, which I'm really hoping Harmonix will do what with this being a Disney game and all.

• Options
    RaughnRaughn Registered User regular
    Error wrote: »
    Is there a story mode? Yes there is, it's underwhelming. Thankfully you can go into the options and unlock every song right away with Party Mode.

The story mode is rather limited to start, but once it gets going it's an enjoyable way to experience the game's content. And some of the interactions in the realms are really neat.

Is there any DLC? Yes there are DLC packs, but none sadly for classical music, which I feel is where the game really shines. Also as of yet no Star Wars Soundtrack DLC, which I'm really hoping Harmonix will do what with this being a Disney game and all.
    Speaking of, does anyone have any experience with acquiring the pre-order bonus? In my case, Amazon seems to forget that they offered it, and they are directing me to a series of ineffective ways to get in touch with Disney Interactive.

• Options
    Oh. Well then I guess maybe I will keep playing the story. I had just encountered THE NOISE when I gave up on the story.

And sorry no pre-order here so I cannot help you there.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I love Harmonix and almost want to buy this game just to support them, even though I wouldn't play it

I picked up Bayo 2 at a friend of mine's game store yesterday and noticed Fantasia on the shelf, and I asked him if he'd sold any yet

"Not a one."

:(

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    I love Harmonix and almost want to buy this game just to support them, even though I wouldn't play it

I picked up Bayo 2 at a friend of mine's game store yesterday and noticed Fantasia on the shelf, and I asked him if he'd sold any yet

"Not a one."

That's a real shame, because I'm having a lot of fun with it. When it really gets going it does a great job of fulfilling the "music wizard" feeling that they were going for. That said, the length of the tutorial is goddamned ridiculous. And the hoops you've got to jump through to unlock the remixes on the songs are kind of silly.

Being the Last Kinect Game seems to have kind of boned Harmonix here, sadly.

• Options
    RaughnRaughn Registered User regular
    Oh. Well then I guess maybe I will keep playing the story. I had just encountered THE NOISE when I gave up on the story.

It's not long after that that the story mode opens up properly, so yeah, you may find it more enjoyable if you head back to it.

"Not a one."

:( indeed.

• Options
    I love the game and all, and maybe I'm a bit of a music snob, but whoever decided that Mozart needed remixing needs to be, umm, encouraged not to do such things in the future.