Options

[Superheroes] Marvel Announces Too Much Stuff to Put Into a Cheeky Thread Title!

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    -Tal wrote: »
    I think the big universal implications for thor ragnarok will be the treasures of asgard, most notably the tesseract and the infinity gauntlet, being spread out across the cosmos

the postcredits could be yondu picking up the infinity gauntlet and bringing it to the collector, asking if anybody would be interested in this

This but I'd like the Collector to be all OHNONONONONO GET THAT THING AWAY FROM HERE

then Howard is hanging outside all just sup

"If you wanna sell that thing I know a guy but I gotta warn you he's kind of an odd duck"

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Did anyone check out Arkham Manor's first issue?
    I saw some scans for it and I have to admit, I didn't actually expect that (stately) Wayne Manor being turned into the new Arkham wouldn't be Bruce's choice. I guess though that (for now literal) beggars can't be choosers.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I think the TWS esque game changer in Ragnarok will be Asgard being destroyed. Not like, all of the Asgardians and Thor but the kingdom and it's protection over the 9 realms

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    You think they would do the whole Broxton thing?

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    I hope Ragnarok doesn't feature Earth at all

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    You think they would do the whole Broxton thing?
    I'd love that

Especially if they kept it in Oklahoma

For

Reasons

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    i dont care about earth being featured but if natalie portman and kat dennings arent featured i'll be content

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I was thinking more about Thor Ragnarok perhaps mentioning those who sit above and giving Thor the Odinforce.

• Options
    I'm skeptical of Thor getting the Odinforce because Feige went out of his way to call Carol one of, if not the, strongest heroes they have in the MCU and making Thor a supreme being would kinda invalidate that

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    The reason why people loved DnA's run on the cosmic Marvel stuff was because it really felt like a little corner of the universe was being given the chance to shine by people who knew, intimately, the characters and the history and all of the past comics. It was a comic lover's comic, for people who really liked their series to interweave and their d-listers from a half dozen issue mini-series back in the 80's and so on.

Bendis' Guardians hasn't been well written IMO, but aside from that the latest arc has basically been him writing something that doesn't feel anything like that. He's contradicting all of the stuff that happened in DnA's run. And that's not inherently a bad thing, you don't need exact continuity, but when the previous run was beloved in many ways because of its carefully crafted continuity and one of the most popular characters in the run gets killed off in a truly awful and boring story that doesn't do anything that anyone who actually might have read those issues cares about other than make them pretty mad, then it's a bad thing.

Like, I am a fan of DnA's cosmic run. I hesitate to say that Bendis has shit all over it, because that would be hyperbole, but I definitely don't think he cares about it in the same way, and that has resulted in some pretty bad comics.

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Kat Dennings was great in Thor 2

• Options
    I mean I feel pretty bad about the Guardians these days because they used to be, alongside Nova, my legit absolute favourite books coming out from Marvel. No word of a lie. And now the comic is crap and I didn't like the movie and it's like, well shit man I aint loving this :(

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I figured Thor becoming King would be how they write him out of the story once they move on from Hemsworth.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Solar wrote: »
    The reason why people loved DnA's run on the cosmic Marvel stuff was because it really felt like a little corner of the universe was being given the chance to shine by people who knew, intimately, the characters and the history and all of the past comics. It was a comic lover's comic, for people who really liked their series to interweave and their d-listers from a half dozen issue mini-series back in the 80's and so on.

Bendis' Guardians hasn't been well written IMO, but aside from that the latest arc has basically been him writing something that doesn't feel anything like that. He's contradicting all of the stuff that happened in DnA's run. And that's not inherently a bad thing, you don't need exact continuity, but when the previous run was beloved in many ways because of its carefully crafted continuity and one of the most popular characters in the run gets killed off in a truly awful and boring story that doesn't do anything that anyone who actually might have read those issues cares about other than make them pretty mad, then it's a bad thing.

Like, I am a fan of DnA's cosmic run. I hesitate to say that Bendis has shit all over it, because that would be hyperbole, but I definitely don't think he cares about it in the same way, and that has resulted in some pretty bad comics.

I think he cares about what he's writing and it shows, I have enjoyed the stuff with with Starlords father immensely but he keeps getting drawn into writing cross-overs or addressing past events that he clearly gives no shits about and he needs to stop it, tell stories he actually wants to, and get out of the way.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

I think he cares about what he's writing and it shows, I have enjoyed the stuff with with Starlords father immensely but he keeps getting drawn into writing cross-overs or addressing past events that he clearly gives no shits about and he needs to stop it, tell stories he actually wants to, and get out of the way.

I think he means to say that Bendis doesn't care as much about the DnA run and it shows in how he's writing the characters, and this Original Sin tie in is just a more flagrant example of it.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    So Bleeding Cool is claiming that the first Wonder Woman solo movie will be set in the 1920s, Themyscira's first contact with the outside world
    The sequel would be set during World War II, and then there's either a modern day 3rd movie or it'll just be Justice League by then

So the story goes

• Options
    Cloning? What the hell, Geth?

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    He does that sometimes.

• Options
    That sounds like bullllshit to me

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Like why on earth would you introute Diana in BvS and then do a period peice in the 20s then modern day again and then back to the past

That would be so dumb

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Like why on earth would you introute Diana in BvS and then do a period peice in the 20s then modern day again and then back to the past

That would be so dumb

Well no it would be BvS, 20's, 40's, then back to modern

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Well, Warner Bros. is doing a Harry Potter spinoff set in the '30s so I don't think they're opposed to the idea of making genre picture movies. It'd be hard to square a lot of their "whoa what's the deal with this superman guy it's weird that he has super powers" with the idea of Wonder Woman being around in the 20s, but I don't think internal consistency is real high on their list of priorities

• Options
    Pretty sure they didn't announce Wonder Woman 2 before the first Justice League

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    So, in an unfortunate bit of news, Latino Review was apparently saying Chadwick Boseman for Black Pantehr since last MAY. Stopped clock, or do we have to start paying attention to them now?

• Options
    If Bleeding Cool said that Marvel was going to release comic books nest Wednesday I'd go on Marvel's website and check the dates carefully

If Rich Johnston could do to food what he does to snippets of speculative information then nobody would ever go hungry ever again

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I figured Thor becoming King would be how they write him out of the story once they move on from Hemsworth.

Or they could get really ballsy and kill Thor off in Ragnarok, then have him be reborn as another actor in a subsequent movie.

• Options
    Pretty sure they didn't announce Wonder Woman 2 before the first Justice League

Like I pay attention to these

• Options
    Stopped clock

There aren't too many young, talented black actors on the rise in Hollywood right now and since Michael B. Jordan is in F4 and John Boyega is with Star Wars, Boseman is the smart bet. I threw his name in the ring a few months ago too

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular

Or they could get really ballsy and kill Thor off in Ragnarok, then have him be reborn as another actor in a subsequent movie.

really doubt they would dump Hemsworth before Infinity War

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Yeah, there's no way any of the core four are missing out on the Infinity War, especially if it's two films.

• Options
    Well, Warner Bros. is doing a Harry Potter spinoff set in the '30s so I don't think they're opposed to the idea of making genre picture movies. It'd be hard to square a lot of their "whoa what's the deal with this superman guy it's weird that he has super powers" with the idea of Wonder Woman being around in the 20s, but I don't think internal consistency is real high on their list of priorities
    My problem isn't with the period piece nature, it's that they would have her in the present in BvS then the past in her solo flick and then the present in Justice League and then back to the past

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    AM3h5IK.png

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    You know, if DC wants me to be interested in their movies, outside of just punting Goyer out of the company, doing crazy shit like "our first wonder woman movie is set in the 1920s because fuck it, why not" then yeah, sure, I'm listening. I like a lot of the MCU stuff, but as audacious as it is to build to a huge Infinity War two parter, there are clear signs that it's put limitations on how crazy the individual movies leading up to it can be.

Like, I wish there was still room for an Edgar Wright Ant-Man movie in the MCU, or something like that. They've got this big build to make to Thanos showing up and wrecking everything, and I wish they'd sneak in a lower stakes movie kind of along the lines of Fraction's Hawkeye run. There's a clear throughline there, of Hawkeye bonding with his neighbors while he fights these Tracksuit Dracula guys, which gives the movie a backbone, but there's also no giant Infinity Stone macguffin or anything where Hydra is trying to kill a couple million people and all of SHIELD implodes as a result. Like, I really, really liked Cap 2 and Guardians, but it'd be cool to see them do a lighter superhero movie.

So I guess what I'm saying is that I really hope Ant-Man is good and it does well enough for them to not just follow up Phase Three with another gigantic build to something like Kang, where every movie is about establishing time shenanigans or something

• Options
    honestly I hope warner bros. isn't even building to anything. I hope they don't have an intricate plan for how all their movies build off each other. at this point I kind of think it's refreshing that their big plan for all their movies is "throw them all in the superman sequel and then I guess they all get their own movie, fuck it" "yeah but like aren't some of these guys on tv?" "yeah, probably. fuck it, though, who cares"

• Options
    honestly I hope warner bros. isn't even building to anything. I hope they don't have an intricate plan for how all their movies build off each other. at this point I kind of think it's refreshing that their big plan for all their movies is "throw them all in the superman sequel and then I guess they all get their own movie, fuck it" "yeah but like aren't some of these guys on tv?" "yeah, probably. fuck it, though, who cares"
    Given that they announced Justice League I think there's no chance of this

Like, they clearly want to mimic the Marvel style a fair amount and establish their universe as just as big an important

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Given that they announced Justice League I think there's no chance of this

Like, they clearly want to mimic the Marvel style a fair amount and establish their universe as just as big an important

They've announced justice league, yeah, but I think maybe what they're doing is going to eventually end up very different from Marvel's method. Marvel took a very slow, measured approach to everything, like, they didn't announce Cap or Thor until after they were sure Iron Man was a hit. And then it took them a bit longer to confirm that they were actually going to make an Avengers movie, and they had a careful build to that. DC started with Man of Steel and then just jumped right into putting all of its pieces on the board right at the start.

Marvel's been all about the build to the next big thing, ever since the closing of the first Iron Man. DC and WB seem to be starting with the big event and then splitting off from there. I think it actually might allow a little more room for experimentation and deviation from the formula than Marvel's method has.

Anyways, I have a lot of thoughts about this stuff (and I think Marvel is more likely to make actually good movies than DC is, but I think DC's movies might end up more interesting) but I'm gonna play some video games for a while

• Options
    If you do Kang, you do it Avengers Forever style, where you take all the preexisting stuff, and recontextualize it by viewing it through the lense of Kang's manipulation. You don't know it was a lead-in to Kang until they tell you it is. Like, if the Thunderbolts form in Phase 4, eventually becoming the Masters of Evil; you reveal that Kang had a hand in it. Ego the Living Planet is coming after Earth? Kang told him where it is. Maximus conquers Atillan? Kang put that in motion. the Hulk gets weakened into the grey Hulk? All according to Kang's master plan

• Options
    Man what is up with the new artist on Elektra

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Every time you guys talk about Thor extensively I write a mean post about Thor and then don't post it

It's very cathartic

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    AM3h5IK.png
    aww crap, now this is whirring in my brain

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
This discussion has been closed.