As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Internet Arcade - get you some nostalgia

darleysamdarleysam On my way toUKRegistered User regular
https://archive.org/details/internetarcade
The Internet Arcade is a web-based library of arcade (coin-operated) video games from the 1970s through to the 1990s, emulated in JSMAME, part of the JSMESS software package. Containing hundreds of games ranging through many different genres and styles, the Arcade provides research, comparison, and entertainment in the realm of the Video Game Arcade.

The game collection ranges from early "bronze-age" videogames, with black and white screens and simple sounds, through to large-scale games containing digitized voices, images and music. Most games are playable in some form, although some are useful more for verification of behavior or programming due to the intensity and requirements of their systems.

So that page there has a selection of games that run well in Firefox, but there's a pretty extensive archive of other games that I've been searching to see what childhood gems I can pull up (no Space Trader yet, sadly). Might be nice to have a dig through and reminisce over some classics.
To the best information I can find, it's completely legal and above-board.

forumsig.png

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Given the big companies involved, I'm still wondering if it's legal. You'd think they'd do a joint announcement at the very least.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    I mean, it's archive.org. They wouldn't just go and do something brazenly illegal, would they?

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    That's what I'm thinking, it'd be really weird for someone like them to go "eh, let's stick up some ROMs", but since I can't explicitly see somebody asking "is this legal?" and them answering "yes we have permission", I'm slighly cautious, but would be very surprised if it turned out to be illegal.

forumsig.png