Options

The Last [Movies] Thread, Part 2

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Yes, Man, the parts are better than the whole, if it wasn't Jim Carrey as the lead (and not having the story sort of pick from a bunch of his own movies) it wouldn't have been anywhere close to watchable.

It's one of those movies where an hour into it they don't really have any conflict because saying yes or just being optimistic gets the job done (with some rather forced stuff like old lady BJ), and then in the final thirty minutes it tries to have a point or a message with conflict where it just turns stupid. It touches very, very little on the downside of always saying yes (where there could be something explored, such as people knowingly abusing Carrey for always saying yes) in favor of having one of the absolute dumbest arguments in a movie relationship ever. Maybe if the film wasn't dedicated to making Zooey Deschannel or however it's spelled quirky up for anything MPDG girl the third act wouldn't seem so hamfisted.

The movie also has the same problem Invention of Lying did in presupposing that Carrey has to say yes to anything, even when not asked. It makes for some cute callbacks but you don't have to say yes to a flyer about teaching guitar or flying a plane or informercials. It's one thing to say yes to a guy who asks you straight up for a loan or a lift, another thing altogether about jumping off a bridge because someone told you off.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Archangle wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    knitdan wrote: »
    Except every one of those people was directly complicit in the horror of slavery.

"Random farm hands"- please
    - "Family members"- I assume you mean Candie's sister, who was well aware of and lived off the spoils of her brother's barbarity
    - "Officials of the court". What fucking court. It was Candie's hired thugs.
    - Fake Australian. The one who was taking a wagonload of slaves to the mines?

Seriously, none of the people he kills are ambiguous in any way. The whole point is that the entire institution is evil. He literally blows the whole thing up at the end.
    Okay, then please enumerate for me the individual actions of each individual person that Django kills post-Candie that defines them as unambiguously evil. Because if "working on a farm with slaves and running into the house when you hear gunfire" and "taking a wagonload of murderers to the mines" is "unambiguously evil" then holy shit.

As already explained, every one of those people is part and parcel of the institution of slavery. Every single person shown there is an active participant in the system.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Yeah everyone at candie land either participated in or benefited from slavery. Its the great lie of the south during slavery, when just about every white person benefited one way or another from slavery in the south. Hell just about every white person in america benefited from slavery one way or another.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Yeah everyone at candie land either participated in or benefited from slavery. Its the great lie of the south during slavery, when just about every white person benefited one way or another from slavery in the south. Hell just about every white person in america benefited from slavery one way or another.

Every single white person who has lived in America has benefited from slavery. The impact may have lessened over time but it is still there. The guys in Django who got killed, however, were directly benefiting from and reinforcing the institution of slavery.

One of my favorite lines in the movie is right after D'Artangan is murdered.

Candie: Your boss looks a little green around the gills for a bloodsport like n****r fighting.
    Django: Nah, he just ain't used to seeing a man ripped apart by dogs is all
    Candie: You are used to it?
    Django: I'm just a little more used to Americans than he is.

It's a very carefully worded line to drive home the institutional nature of the horror.

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    wandering wrote: »
    Dave (1993):

You know what hasn't aged well? 90's comedy soundtracks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKhFa-4Je9w

Although there are exceptions....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od_6M8cFdUA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyCDLW7n53A

also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksOHoCewn0Q

(both danny elfman so maybe cheating? i dunno. his output in the 80s and 90s was pretty boss)

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    There's no basement at the Alamo!

(RIP Jan Hooks)

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    wandering wrote: »
    Dave (1993):

You know what hasn't aged well? 90's comedy soundtracks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKhFa-4Je9w

Although there are exceptions....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od_6M8cFdUA

-

also
    -

(both danny elfman so maybe cheating? i dunno. his output in the 80s and 90s was pretty boss)

Ace Ventura still holds up:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjiCh88q4kA

• Options
    Holds up as an awful movie? Yes yes it does.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I was thinking about this just today.

Is there any Jim Carrey comedy that has aged well? Every time I see one I just cringe and change the channel as quickly as possible.

And yet, his dramatic output is still pretty solid.

• Options
    Bruce Almighty is pretty rewatchable, and I'll still defend Dumb & Dumber.

Never saw his Grinch movie (or the Cat in the Hat one).

• Options
    The mask? It was kind of harmless stupid fun.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Cat in the Hat was Mike Myers.

I'd argue that the Ace Venturas were never great, but are still pretty good. Liar Liar is a little worn, certainly, but Dumb & Dumber comes this close to being masterful, and while The Mask's effects have aged somewhat the overall movie remains pretty great. And I unashamedly love The Grinch. His more recent stuff, like Mr Popper and Phillip Morris weren't received well and won't age well.

Jim Carrey has had his ups and downs, and he's no longer the draw he once was, but when he's good he's still really good.

Jeez, was he really in Peggy Sue Got Married and Earth Girls are Easy? Those movies are so old...

• Options
    I Love You Phillip Morris was really good, if we're counting that as comedy and not drama (like Batman Forever, that's more drama even though all Carey does is mostly comedy)

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    Fun with Dick and Jane was better than typically acknowledged, and if anything it is more relevant and searing an indictment post-2008 than it was when it was released in 2005.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »

Bruce Almighty... Good?

I don't understand

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    TexiKen wrote: »

Bruce Almighty... Good?

I don't understand

Morgan Freeman can make anything watchable.

• Options
    I think given the subject of letting a dude play God, it was able to be pretty respectful and tell a decent enough story, such as the inbox of prayers. I'm not saying it's one of his best movies, but in terms of aging well it does a LOT better than Me, Myself, & Irene.

Evan Almighty, no sireee.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2014
    I also saw Big Hero 6.

I had heard criticism regarding the pacing, that it's too rushed in the back half after the team gets together. And I really don't see that. I think it was too short, in the sense that I could've watched another hour of it and been giddy, but it never stuck me as rushed so much as just brisk.

If I wanted to nitpick, I could say that
    the twist was obvious, but then I'm not sure it was meant to be much of a surprise to anyone over the age of ten.

My favorite part:
    the way Hiro's loss was contrasted with the antagonist's, and how he almost slipped into villainy but then pulled himself back from the edge. Because Hiro is a superhero and the other dude is a supervillain.

Also: buddaluddaludda.

Just an amazing film all around. I'm starting to look forward to Disney films more than Pixar films, which is weird.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    One thing I love about Django Unchained is how
    Calvin Candie is totally subordinate to Stephen, and knows it. Candie is set up as the main villain, but Stephe is his superior, and they both know it.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I wouldn't say that Candie knows he's sub ordinate. He's kind of an idiot.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    in all likelihood Stephen raised Candie, and has always been the one who actually ran the plantation

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I would say Ace Ventura 1 and 2 hold up well enough, provided you like Carrey mugging for the camera for 2 hours, except for the villain reveal at the end of the first being problematic.

sig.gif
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Sorce wrote: »
    I would say Ace Ventura 1 and 2 hold up well enough, provided you like Carrey mugging for the camera for 2 hours, except for the villain reveal at the end of the first being problematic.

Yeah. You can argue about how the rest of the franchise holds up, but that reveal has aged terribly.

Which is fascinating in itself, given how that's only 20 years ago.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Watched John Wick today. Was just able to book a good seat before the movie started.

My main draw to this movie was a man avenging his dead dog, and this movie delivered on that.

What kept my interest going, however, was the great action, interesting characters, the Continental, and the world's acceptance of Wick's badassery.

Regarding the characters:
    I wanted so bad for Marcus to come out alive. Guy always looked out for Wick and risked betraying his contract to save him. He was a true bro. At least he went out fighting.

Haaate Perkins. I knew she was going to be trouble from the moment she first appeared. First she breaks rules of the Continental, by trying to kill Wick in the hotel, then she kills harry, and THEN she exposes Marcus. My only comfort is that she gets executed at the end.

Wick was such a goddamn badass. The Chop Shop owner knew it. Viggo knew it, even the policeman knew it; hence why he didn't report the bodies in Wick's house. I liked how he patient he was in setting up shots and also double-tapping everyone he kills to make sure they don't get back up. I was a little saddened he didn't do it with Viggo though. Wick's grief over both his wife and his puppy were heartbreaking for me. Guy just can't catch a break. I'm glad he decided to rescue that pitbull at the end, as it suggests he's opening his heart up again to companionship.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options

Hey, we can say "transphobic" and "homophobic" here. Go on. It's okay.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Atomika wrote: »

Sure, but I don't believe that the character was either Trans or Homosexual, it was a legitimately insane dude who murdered a woman and took over her life (plus murdered the one cop that found out she was a he) in order to kidnap and kill Dan Marino.

Plus, that happening to anyone, regardless of gender/orientation is pretty bad. Sexual assault is sexual assault.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I also saw Big Hero 6.

I had heard criticism regarding the pacing, that it's too rushed in the back half after the team gets together. And I really don't see that. I think it was too short, in the sense that I could've watched another hour of it and been giddy, but it never stuck me as rushed so much as just brisk.

If I wanted to nitpick, I could say that
    the twist was obvious, but then I'm not sure it was meant to be much of a surprise to anyone over the age of ten.

My favorite part:
    the way Hiro's loss was contrasted with the antagonist's, and how he almost slipped into villainy but then pulled himself back from the edge. Because Hiro is a superhero and the other dude is a supervillain.

Also: buddaluddaludda.

Just an amazing film all around. I'm starting to look forward to Disney films more than Pixar films, which is weird.

Yea, Disney has been on a role for the past several movies. Tangled, Wreck It Ralph, and Big Hero 6 have all been amazing to me. All very fun and heartfelt. Not to mention that their Winnie the Pooh reboot/sequel was all kinds of charming.

The only weak link to me was Frozen, as I just didn't care for the movie at all. (Don't hurt me, just my opinion :P )

But with that said, even at their worst, Pixar is still my favorite animation company. Inside Out sounds amazing to me and The Good Dinosaur sounds interesting. I'm just glad that we have some original Pixar movies coming out since they've been doing mostly sequels over the last few years.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Atomika wrote: »

Sure, but I don't believe that the character was either Trans or Homosexual, it was a legitimately insane dude who murdered a woman and took over her life (plus murdered the one cop that found out she was a he) in order to kidnap and kill Dan Marino.

Plus, that happening to anyone, regardless of gender/orientation is pretty bad. Sexual assault is sexual assault.

What evidence was there that Lt. Einhorn murdered someone and took over her life? Where did you get that from?

And yes, the jokes were horribly transphobic.

• Options
    During Ace's investigation of Ray at the Asylum, he found an article about a missing person named Lois Einhorn.

sig.gif
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Yeah, it's a dude named Ray Finkle posing as Einhorn after he killed her. That's all in the movie. But it's still hella transphobic to have everybody in the room start throwing up when they realize the woman has a penis, even if it's just a transgender disguise. Let's just say we've come a long way in the past 20 years.

I think it's important to look back on these things too, because when I saw Ace Ventura and other movies like at age 12 or whatever, I didn't actively think about it influencing how I perceived gay people, and growing up in a small town without any openly gay kids, I never really had to address it. So my friends and I all spent middle and high school calling each other gay and other similar words as insults not out of hatred but out of that misguided "We don't mean it that way so it's not offensive" mindset.

And I was crushed when I found out one of my best friends in the world had always known he was gay, but wasn't comfortable telling me until a couple years into college because he wasn't sure how I really felt about gay people. So this stuff definitely has a real effect, and I'm glad to be able to now make sure that as my girls grow up I can teach them to be more aware than I was.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    Yeah, it's a dude named Ray Finkle posing at Einhorn after he killed her. That's all in the movie. But it's still hella transphobic to have everybody in the room start throwing up when they realize the woman has a penis, even if it's just a transgender costume. Let's just say we've come a long way in the past 20 years.

Funny, I never cottoned on that he killed her. I just thought he found a report of a woman who went missing and took advantage of it.

• Options
    Yeah I guess it might've been that. I think they just find an account of Einhorn going hiking and never coming back in Finkle's belongings. So it's not explicit about which way it went.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    I had always figured they were doing the throw up part because they had all made out with her.

• Options
    They were, but the idea that kissing a transgender person unknowingly would make you throw up is still sending the message that transgender people are something to be disgusted by.

• Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    Yeah, either way you put it that scene is a very uncool 90's artifact.

• Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Small correction--those weren't officers of the court taking Django to jail. They were employees of the nearby mining company, taking Django to a lifetime of back-breaking labor. As he was a free man, they were essentially kidnapping him.
    I stand corrected - checking the script hey WERE employees of the mining company, but as of that point Django was NOT a free man. He was a captured criminal who was an accomplice in the cold-blooded murder of Calvin Candie, and who further killed around a dozen other free citizens of the United States during the attempt to restrain him.

Penal labor was common amongst most countries at that time, and I have no difficulty believing that his forced indenture was legal punishment for his killings - whether we witnessed the court order (which I have no doubt would have been justified) or not.

Once Django was captured, they were legally obligated to turn him over to the authorities for a trial, not just sell him to somebody who would work him hard.

But then, did free black men have the right to a trial back then? Maybe not. Maybe they lived under a tyrannical, predatory system which fundamentally lacked legitimacy, and which it was every man's duty or at least prerogative to resist, violently if necessary.
    But Django is not fighting to resist or fighting against evil. Schultz is. Schultz is the moral compass of the film - he is extremely particular that every individual he kills is justified legally, if not morally. But he is the one who breaks for moral reasons - not Django.

Schultz first tries to prevent Django from treating others in a dehumanizing manner, but Django rebuffs him saying that he HAS to behave in this manner for their plan to purchase Broomhilda to work. Mere minutes later, Schultz tries to save D'Artagnan from being torn apart by dogs, but is explicitly stopped by Django because again that would compromise Django's own desires. For all the indignities that are inflicted on Django, and those that are inflicted on others around them, he allows them because like Schultz's retelling of Siegfried he believes that reuniting with Broomhilda is worth it.

Which gives contrast that Schultz finally acts against Candie - not because he is legally able to do so, but because he is morally obligated to do so. Django's rampage from there on is not driven by injustice, resistance against slavery, or the moral fight against evil - it's because these people, like the slaves he allowed to be killed in front of him, are subordinate to his own desires. He is complicit to the dehumanization of those around him, justifying the murder of others - and exhorts the audience to join him.

If anything, Schultz is the morally questionable one. It's clear that he could have simply purchased Broomhilda if he wanted to. If he had gone up to Candie and said, "I hear you have a slave who speaks German. I am an eccentric, wealthy German man and I wish to pay the ridiculous price of $12,000 for her," Candie would have sold her and the subsequent bloodbaths never would have happened. He could clearly afford it, but he went with a deception essentially to put one over on the bad slaver. Without the need to uphold that deception, Schultz could have saved D'Artagnan.

Or if he had shook Candie's hand, none of it would have happened. He, personally, could not resist taking a foolish, dangerous action for his own moral satisfaction--not because Candie deserved to die but because Schultz could not bring himself to even pretend to respect Candie. There's a reason he apologizes to Django: it's only by chance that his actions don't condemn Django and Hilde to torture, enslavement, and/or death.

But all that's bullshit. Neither Schultz nor Django are responsible for D'Artagnan's death. Candie is. Nor is Django responsible for killing Candie's men. Those men were trying to kill him and/or enslave him. They were not just symbolic representatives of an immoral system but actual, active representatives of it. Django was acting in self-defense--of him, of his wife, and of his people.

This.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Just coming in to say that I agree Big Hero 6 was fantastic. Everyone should go watch it, it's a great movie.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    WhittledownWhittledown Registered User regular
    Heatwave wrote: »
    Watched John Wick today. Was just able to book a good seat before the movie started.

My main draw to this movie was a man avenging his dead dog, and this movie delivered on that.

What kept my interest going, however, was the great action, interesting characters, the Continental, and the world's acceptance of Wick's badassery.

I wanted so bad for Marcus to come out alive. Guy always looked out for Wick and risked betraying his contract to save him. He was a true bro. At least he went out fighting.

Haaate Perkins. I knew she was going to be trouble from the moment she first appeared. First she breaks rules of the Continental, by trying to kill Wick in the hotel, then she kills harry, and THEN she exposes Marcus. My only comfort is that she gets executed at the end.

Wick was such a goddamn badass. The Chop Shop owner knew it. Viggo knew it, even the policeman knew it; hence why he didn't report the bodies in Wick's house. I liked how he patient he was in setting up shots and also double-tapping everyone he kills to make sure they don't get back up. I was a little saddened he didn't do it with Viggo though. Wick's grief over both his wife and his puppy were heartbreaking for me. Guy just can't catch a break. I'm glad he decided to rescue that pitbull at the end, as it suggests he's opening his heart up again to companionship.

Re: Marcus in John Wick
    Marcus may have considered John a friend or compatriot, but he was never looking out for him until AFTER the rules of the Continental were broken. He was lining up his shot, but once Perkins appeared in the room it became clear to him that Viggo must have made her an offer commiserate with breaking Continental rules. It wasn't about saving John, it was about protecting the code by which the 'old guard' lived. When he saved John again that may have been more personal but it also provided John with a second chance to go after Viggo.

DRCdHs6.jpg?1
  • Options
    Heatwave wrote: »

Re: Marcus in John Wick
    Marcus may have considered John a friend or compatriot, but he was never looking out for him until AFTER the rules of the Continental were broken. He was lining up his shot, but once Perkins appeared in the room it became clear to him that Viggo must have made her an offer commiserate with breaking Continental rules. It wasn't about saving John, it was about protecting the code by which the 'old guard' lived. When he saved John again that may have been more personal but it also provided John with a second chance to go after Viggo.

I didn't read it like that.

I read it as Marcus was there to possibly shoot Wick, possibly to just look after him and then when he noticed perkins he made the choice to save John. He also showed up as Wick's wife's funeral and seemingly wanted to offer a shoulder for Wick before he was rebuffed.

To me Marcus read as someone who while he lived the life he did he seemed lonely and was hoping to make a connection with someone else. He chose Wick and then chose Wick again at the cost of his own life, better to die for a friend than just live for yourself.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    my kids really loved big hero 6, but i walked away from it with more of a feeling that it was ok, but i'm not sure i'm excited to watch it again. It seems like the parts of the movie that really would have been more interesting to explore were glossed over (designing the micro bots, practicing with new powers). Also, it seemed like the trailers
    showed the brother was already dead. to have him die in the movie was quite a shock to my kids. also my oldest (11) asked why baymax didn't hold onto the life pod with his other hand. The sacrificial baymax feels really forced if even my 11 year old spots it as a flaw.

This discussion has been closed.