As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

gobblegobblegobble [Thanksgiving] gobblegobblegobble

• Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    We've got a 12.34 pound bird.

And between three people I'm sure we bought too much.

Nah not if you want any leftovers. We had 14lbs for five people and I only had enough leftover to make turkey and dumplings the next day. I'll have to roast another one if I want hot browns and cold sandwiches. Smaller turkeys lose a lot more than you think just to bone mass weight.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    We have like a 14 lb bird

But since Indians there are lots of vegetarians

And I am the biggest carnivore of the group

So I will reign supreme

poo
  • Options
    SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    I'm expecting close to twenty people in my house on Thursday we have two turkeys one 16lb and another 13lb.
    Guys they're brining as we speak.
    Tons of potatoes, cornbread stuffing, some butternut squash...
    My body is ready

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    first thanksgiving today! potluck and a work day, so they're getting box mashed potatoes

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    THANKSGIVING TOMORROW!

WOOHOOOO!

I'm waking up at the butt of dawn to make 15 lbs of mashed potatoes!

Think I should make them in two batches or just use my 36qt monster? I'm leaning towards the later.

• Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    I'm in charge of gravy this year. Anyone have a good recipe handy?

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    Sorta depends on what spices you've used on your turkey. I usually do a roux-based gravy with turkey drippings and a bit of chicken stock, crushed roasted garlic, the zest and juice of one lemon, some chopped bacon, and a bit of parsley.

• Options
    Oh and a about a quarter cup of white whine if I have it. I usually don't.

• Options
    Sorta depends on what spices you've used on your turkey. I usually do a roux-based gravy with turkey drippings and a bit of chicken stock, crushed roasted garlic, the zest and juice of one lemon, some chopped bacon, and a bit of parsley.

I do this only with a bunch of super sauteed shallots and rubbed sage instead of lemon and bacon

• Options
    Well, I guess we're not doing thanksgiving this year.

Oh well. It was fun to think about.

• Options
  • Options
    Oh and a about a quarter cup of white whine if I have it. I usually don't.

One of my friends recommended using vermouth as a cooking wine and since we have vermouth but never have any leftover wine I gave it a try. I thought it turned out pretty well.

Girl I'm sorry you can't do thanksgiving, is it a dollars n cents reason or a 'my family is shit' reason, if you don't mind me asking? if it's financial we could probably do a whipround for funding to have a weekend after Thanksgiving, but if it's just that your family is a bunch of steaming fuckbuckets... ain't no cure for fuckbuckets

• Options
    it's a dollars and cents thing

• Options
    but I don't really want to get into it.

• Options
    Especially not with the ridiculous gift I'm about to get from another forumer.

• Options
    Sorry I didn't mean to put you on the spot, I suppose someday I should really learn to ask personal questions in pm

if only you lived somewhere super urban we could just order you a delivered thanksgiving dinner... I bet they do that kinda shit in civilization

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    I made Pumpkin Pie. Well two. I figured it might be a good idea to make sure that I did a good job, so my mom and I split the second pie which "didn't look as good."

o1aq0cfn4mtf.jpg
    Yes that's a 4th of the pie. Yeah that's a lot of whipped cream, but it's homemade whipped cream so totally necessary to have that much.

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    I made a lot of Pumpkin Streusel Cookies for tomorrow.

Then my brother and his friend wanted to try them.

Now about half of them have been eaten. Whelp.

• Options
    JeixJeix Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Made some French bread for tomorrow, starting to get pretty good at it I think.

Zwyy5xb.jpg?2

Edit: I hate mobile uploading

Jeix on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    ahhhhhhhhhhh

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I"M DOING!!!

sweet potato casserole.

I cook them, I mash/whip them, I put then in a dish, I top them with marshmallows and then in the oven. Right? that's all I need to do?

Also it's starting to REALLY be summer down here and the thought of hot food i making me nutty.

• Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    Help I am stuck on a lake in the woods with my family all week and everyone except me has kids now and there is no tv or Internet and everyone is asking me why I'm not married and when will I be having kids at least the food is good but these children are demons help

• Options
    ahhhhhhhhhhh

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I"M DOING!!!

sweet potato casserole.

I cook them, I mash/whip them, I put then in a dish, I top them with marshmallows and then in the oven. Right? that's all I need to do?

Also it's starting to REALLY be summer down here and the thought of hot food i making me nutty.

That's how a lot of people do it, yeah. I've also seen people use brown sugar.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    It's the great annual awkward family conversation day Charlie Brown!

Having a discussion with my cousin who is working on her doctorate in communications.
    "... and one of my students wrote a paper about the negative treatment of women in video games"
    Me " Did she reference Anita Sarkeesian?"
    "That doesn't ring a bell"
    Me " She's a game critic who's well known for critiquing the portrayal of women in video games, and getting flak for it"
    "Why would she be getting flak for it?"
    Me "Oh you poor thing"

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Happy Turkey Day, errybody.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGspoOoK69s

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Have a lovely Thanksgiving Americans, I think the idea of spending time with family and talking about what you're thankful for is great, so have fun!

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Agagag
    I cannot be getting sick on Thanksgiving / my (golden???) birthday
    It's like
    My fav holiday and I've been preparing to gorge
    I felt it a bit yest morning and night, but was mostly okay in the day
    Grrr

This is what I get for drinking too much on Sat, dummmmmmy

poo
  • Options
    HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYBODY!

Stuff your faces!

Love your family!

Or at least tolerate them!

Watch MST3k!

Pray for the Lions to lose!

Listen to Arlo Guthrie's Thanksgiving Day Massacre in 12 part harmony!

HAVE A GREAT DAY!

• Options
    SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    Agagag
    I cannot be getting sick on Thanksgiving / my (golden???) birthday
    It's like
    My fav holiday and I've been preparing to gorge
    I felt it a bit yest morning and night, but was mostly okay in the day
    Grrr

This is what I get for drinking too much on Sat, dummmmmmy

Are you secretly me? I was born on Thanksgiving and my golden birthday was a couple days ago

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    HAPPY SHAZKAR DAY! and also Thanksgiving! I'm super grateful that even though I'm not with them this year, my extended family is awesome and our holidays are full of love and humor and overindulgence because we don't believe in "too much of a good thing."

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Happy Thanksgiving, all!

The Macy's parade is on! You should all watch! It is a great holiday tradition.

Even the terrible lip-synced broadway songs.

• Options
    DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    Thanksgiving is the best. Made everything from scratch, green beans, potatoes, chicken stock for gravies, dry brined turkey. Everything except the stuffing. You don't fuck with Pepperidge Farm+sausage.

"Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    They feed us last night a bought Thanksgiving deal
    Now it was par for the course Turkey, and such but something is seriously wrong if you need butter to improve the taste of cornbread

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    We're watching the parade and they showed some people who dressed up their babies and put them in pots and I yelled, "OH MY GOD! THEY'RE COOKING BABIES!"

So now my kids believe people are really cooking babies and they just saw some meat on tv and asked if it was baby.

Of course I told them it was.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Lost power last night from the snowstorm, was still out this morning so I drove down to my parents place early.

Looks like it's going to be a thanksgiving sleepover

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Aww man I really want to watch the parade.

Stupid not wanting to bother setting up cable TV.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Aww man I really want to watch the parade.

Stupid not wanting to bother setting up cable TV.

Do you get any channels via antenna or Qam tuner? It's just on NBC.

• Options
    You say those things

I don't know what they mean

I haven't owned or had to set up a TV in years but my roommate got a Smart TV which I have used thus far only to watch Netflix on a larger screen

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Antenna?

Like on a bug's head?

• Options
    the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    antenna? what is this, the nineteen hundreds?

tKfL2Yd.png?1